Has the "Not in This Lifetime" Tour Met Your Expectations?

Has The Not in This Lifetime Tour Met, Exceeded or not met your expectations?   

252 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Totally exceeded my expectations. Especially those first shows, where they played surprises every night. The promotion stuff. But mainly the chemistry, the performance, and – above all – the fact they're together again.
In fact, I would go so far as to say that I can't understand how any GN'R fan can complain about fucking anything in 2016. This is every fan's dream come true!
What we need now is a more extensive tour, interviews, DVD, and a new album...

• Like 4

The tour has definitely exceeded my expectations. Axl is on time, personable with the audience, allows fans in the front rows to take photos lol. He seems happy. The band is tight, they're bringing it every night.

Honesty, when I first heard about the tour I was bummed that the nearest city to me was far into the US leg because I wasn't sure if everything would stay together long enough to reach Houston lol..

• Like 2

I voted no but realistically you gotta look at it from every realistic angle:

POSITIVES:

- Axl showed up on time, and sounded amazing. To me, I knew if he tried he could still sound amazing. He just needed to put the work in to avoid Mickey. A little hard to believe still though I guess..

- Duff being back permanently was inevitable but awesome. Slash returning and seemingly getting along with Axl so well is still surreal, I still need to see pics and video to believe it! Cool that it wasn't just a cheap cash grab and they seemed to be in it for the right reasons. 

NEGATIVES:

- It wasn't a true reunion. The drummer situation I get, although I wanted a little more Adler. No izzy AT ALL is just a straight buzz kill though, a year ago I would have bet a million dollars that he would have been the first one back, even before slash, unless he didn't want to commit full time. I would have also bet that the only way fortus would be there is if izzy didn't want to be, therefore he'd still be guesting. Now it seems he did want to commit as long as the three way partnership could make it a four way deal. Again having Adler back and the 4 from appetite on stage was surreal and awesome and it brought me to tears but ugh... So close. The ultimate comeback fell just short.

- No new music yet. Not pointing fingers or putting words in anyone's mouths, but a lot of people even some mods got excited for new music in December when the Star Wars trailer leaked. I read plenty of quotes like "there's no way anyone would pay money for a spot like that unless new music was coming", and we still have the same status quo. That alone should tell you it's still axls band, and that slash and duff were rejoining against the theory that this is a true reunion. 

So in conclusion, I guess for me it feels crazy to argue that this tour was any sort of failure. They packed stadiums and sold over a million tickets so, it certainly was a success. But to say it exceeded expectations just tells me that to feel that way means one had NO expectations going in to this, which I had to an extent. I'll settle for the middle. Again not being a buzz kill, it's great for rock music that GNR did this and are continuing to and that slash is back and it's waaaaayyy better that they did this versus continuing with the last lineup or doing nothing at all. But to me, missing one of these shows isn't something I really lost sleep over. But it has been a great time to be a GNR fan for sure

Edited by Billsfan
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, Billsfan said:

I voted no but realistically you gotta look at it from every realistic angle:

POSITIVES:

- Axl showed up on time, and sounded amazing. To me, I knew if he tried he could still sound amazing. He just needed to put the work in to avoid Mickey. A little hard to believe still though I guess..

- Duff being back permanently was inevitable but awesome. Slash returning and seemingly getting along with Axl so well is still surreal, I still need to see pics and video to believe it! Cool that it wasn't just a cheap cash grab and they seemed to be in it for the right reasons. 

NEGATIVES:

- It wasn't a true reunion. The drummer situation I get, although I wanted a little more Adler. No izzy AT ALL is just a straight buzz kill though, a year ago I would have bet a million dollars that he would have been the first one back, even before slash, unless he didn't want to commit full time. I would have also bet that the only way fortus would be there is if izzy didn't want to be, therefore he'd still be guesting. Now it seems he did want to commit as long as the three way partnership could make it a four way deal. Again having Adler back and the 4 from appetite on stage was surreal and awesome and it brought me to tears but ugh... So close. The ultimate comeback fell just short.

- No new music yet. Not pointing fingers or putting words in anyone's mouths, but a lot of people even some mods got excited for new music in December when the Star Wars trailer leaked. I read plenty of quotes like "there's no way anyone would pay money for a spot like that unless new music was coming", and we still have the same status quo. That alone should tell you it's still axls band, and that slash and duff were rejoining against the theory that this is a true reunion. 

So in conclusion, I guess for me it feels crazy to argue that this tour was any sort of failure. They packed stadiums and sold over a million tickets so, it certainly was a success. But to say it exceeded expectations just tells me that to feel that way means one had NO expectations going in to this, which I had to an extent. I'll settle for the middle. Again not being a buzz kill, it's great for rock music that GNR did this and are continuing to and that slash is back and it's waaaaayyy better that they did this versus continuing with the last lineup or doing nothing at all. But to me, missing one of these shows isn't something I really lost sleep over. But it has been a great time to be a GNR fan for sure

so your negatives are kinda weak.  you point to izzy and steven's unrealiability and then bitch their not there? to pay $300 you better fucking show up.

and you really expect NEW MATERIAL FROM SLASH/DUFF AND AXL AFTER 20 SOMETHING SHOWS? You must believe in Unicorns.

So yeah, you're expectations may have been a bit lofty

11 minutes ago, jmapelian said:

so your negatives are kinda weak.  you point to izzy and steven's unrealiability and then bitch their not there? to pay $300 you better fucking show up.

and you really expect NEW MATERIAL FROM SLASH/DUFF AND AXL AFTER 20 SOMETHING SHOWS? You must believe in Unicorns.

So yeah, you're expectations may have been a bit lofty

It's not believing in unicorns, and it's not lofty. They aren't weak negatives. Re read what I said because apparently you didn't the first time: again, the drummer situation I get. All I hoped or expected from the Adler situation was a couple of more shows with the songs he did. He could have played BOTH LA shows for example, he could have come out for paradise city. I wanted him there for all the appetite material, but I get with the money on the line that they can't and it is what it is. There's clearly more discussion about izzy not being there and at one point I thought he wasn't reliable, then was met with posts from people here like Ronin and ludigron that he is reliable, and the stats they presented is tough to argue. Izzy should be there, and I fought for fortus at one point but...

As for new material, I hoped for it before the tour started. Many around here were convinced we were getting it in December when they were seeing Star Wars. There were rumors slash and duff were in the studio in January and February. The lack of new material didn't kill it for me but, I'm not going to jump for joy because we didn't get it either. I don't get how that's a bad thing...?

On 8/25/2016 at 2:55 PM, jamillos said:

Totally exceeded my expectations. Especially those first shows, where they played surprises every night. The promotion stuff. But mainly the chemistry, the performance, and – above all – the fact they're together again.
In fact, I would go so far as to say that I can't understand how any GN'R fan can complain about fucking anything in 2016. This is every fan's dream come true!
What we need now is a more extensive tour, interviews, DVD, and a new album...

Yes, I totally agree.  As far as a new album, one step at a time....let's see them finish the world tour then hopefully they put something together for us.

18 hours ago, Billsfan said:

It's not believing in unicorns, and it's not lofty. They aren't weak negatives. Re read what I said because apparently you didn't the first time: again, the drummer situation I get. All I hoped or expected from the Adler situation was a couple of more shows with the songs he did. He could have played BOTH LA shows for example, he could have come out for paradise city. I wanted him there for all the appetite material, but I get with the money on the line that they can't and it is what it is. There's clearly more discussion about izzy not being there and at one point I thought he wasn't reliable, then was met with posts from people here like Ronin and ludigron that he is reliable, and the stats they presented is tough to argue. Izzy should be there, and I fought for fortus at one point but...

As for new material, I hoped for it before the tour started. Many around here were convinced we were getting it in December when they were seeing Star Wars. There were rumors slash and duff were in the studio in January and February. The lack of new material didn't kill it for me but, I'm not going to jump for joy because we didn't get it either. I don't get how that's a bad thing...?

I just thought they very lofty expectations considering slash/duff and axl hadn't played togetherin 20+ years......I was happier than a pig in shit they played COMA every show and didn't kill each other

Edited by jmapelian
  • Like 1

Saw them on detroit and Las Vegas.  Definately exceeded my expectations.  I was a little skeptical at first on how they (mostly Axl) would sound, and I definately would of placed a bet on it imploding half way thru.  To my delight, Axl and the band were awesome, Axl and Slash\Duff seem to be getting along, they played all the shows and were on time for all of them!, and Axl seemed to be in a great mood, and we got Adler.  It doesn't get much better to me.  Only thing I am really missing and still have hope for is new music.  I'd also like to see an Izzy appearance but over all I'd give it 9.8 out of 10

• Like 1

Exceeded my expectations.  I have enjoyed the ride so far and can't wait to see it continue across the globe.  Still get to see Axl one more time in September with AC/DC just icing on a summer that for me has been all cake....Gnr have always been my favorite band, and they have had an incredible year which has only helped Rock music as a whole.  I think new GNR music is contingent upon the success of this tour. The better they function as a band the better chance they will have of creating and collaberating on new music once it ends, (although I think it will go on for a while yet) I realize making new music is not where the money is these days, but as a fan a new album would be killer.  A few years ago I had doubts I would ever see Axl and Slash on stage together again so that alone exceeded my expectations!!!  I had my hopes high and they did not let me down.  Rock N Roll memories are what it is all about, and I am loving this new chapter of Guns N Roses.

• Like 1

Based on things he's said, and the constant tinkering for 15 years, Axl wanted Slash on Chinese Democracy and I think in the end, he just accepted it wasn't going to happen and tried to make the most of it. Maybe that's why he wouldn't promote it, it just wasn't good enough without Slash. So, to have Slash play on those songs probably means a lot to him....and if it means a lot to him, and Slash is willing, or happy to do it, that's good enough for me. I've never gone to a concert where the band played everything I wanted and nothing I wasn't totally into, so, suck it up. 

On 8/27/2016 at 5:43 AM, SteveAJones said:

The performances by Axl Rose alone have been worth the price of admission. The fact he's joined by Duff & Slash, etc. just makes it all the more sweeter. This tour has been unbelievable. 

I think the entire band, including Axl, knocked it out of the park.  They played as a cohesive unit and became tighter and tighter as the tour progressed.  Was awesome to see.

• Like 1

On August 26, 2016 at 6:23 PM, jmapelian said:

I just thought they very lofty expectations considering slash/duff and axl hadn't played togetherin 20+ years......I was happier than a pig in shit they played COMA every show and didn't kill each other

Fair enough, I just never said the tour was a failure. It was great, but anyone saying it was perfect it couldn't have been any better blah blah blah needs their head examined IMO 

I love GNR as much as I always have, but I promised myself after having seen them back in 2012 that I wouldn't spend another penny on the band until they put out some new music. And Slash and Duff being back in the band doesn't change that for me. 

I saw NuGNR twice, once in 2010 and once in 2012 (with Izzy no less). They were good shows and I enjoyed them, but I have no desire to see Axl perform the same old songs for a third time, regardless of who's playing guitar. 

Part of the reason I go to live shows is to hear the songs I love and how they translate live compared to the album, but I've heard them all live now. I wouldn't be going thinking "I really hope they perform x song" because it's all the same old stuff. Literally, what is there to get excited about at a GNR gig in 2016? Coma and Double Talkin Jive? Yeah, it was cool to see those songs put into the set, but lets be honest, they're feeding us crumbs. 

Maybe if you haven't seen the band before then I could understand why you might get something from the show. But why would anyone who's been following Axl Rose's live career over the last ten years still be entertained by watching Mickey struggling with Estranged for the millionth time or the never-ending excruciating renditions of KOHD or the ghastly nightly rape of November Rain? 

In the words of Prince "heavy rotation never made my world go round."

Edited by Towelie
  • Like 1

I agree to an extent. I saw GnR twice in 06, the horrifying Bridge School show and twice this year in Vegas and I couldn't drum up enough interest after Vegas to see them on the NITL tour right in my backyard (also the ticket prices are a joke). As for content, they can easily get by doing the nostalgia tour with no new material for another year, which is sad. But they're making a shit ton of money and I can't see them stopping now.

I am firmly in your boat about new music though. I won't see them live again unless there's a new album out. You have to admit though, Axl sounds incredible on some of these recent GnR shows and outstanding with AC/DC. Shit, I'm more excited by AC/DC w/ Axl at this point.

I was in the same boat after seeing them in 2012.  I actually didn't even enjoy that show or the shows they released for TV and I thought it was over for me.  I was lucky enough to get some excitement with Slash and Duff and have been impressed with Axl coming back from the dead vocally.  After watching videos/scoping Axl fronting ACDC and seeing GnR in LA a couple weeks ago, I am optimistic about the future.  I might not pay to see them if nothing changes in the next couple of years, but I am in a much better place than I was last year at this time as a fan. 

I actually sympathize and feel for you as a fan.

1 hour ago, Towelie said:

I love GNR as much as I always have, but I promised myself after having seen them back in 2012 that I wouldn't spend another penny on the band until they put out some new music. And Slash and Duff being back in the band doesn't change that for me. 

I saw NuGNR twice, once in 2010 and once in 2012 (with Izzy no less). They were good shows and I enjoyed them, but I have no desire to see Axl perform the same old songs for a third time, regardless of who's playing guitar. 

Part of the reason I go to live shows is to hear the songs I love and how they translate live compared to the album, but I've heard them all live now. I wouldn't be going thinking "I really hope they perform x song" because it's all the same old stuff. Literally, what is there to get excited about at a GNR gig in 2016? Coma and Double Talkin Jive? Yeah, it was cool to see those songs put into the set, but lets be honest, they're feeding us crumbs. 

Maybe if you haven't seen the band before then I could understand why you might get something from the show. But why would anyone who's been following Axl Rose's live career over the last ten years still be entertained by watching Mickey struggling with Estranged for the millionth time or the never-ending excruciating renditions of KOHD or the ghastly nightly rape of November Rain? 

In the words of Prince "heavy rotation never made my world go round."

I merged your thread into this one, since it's essentially the same topic (i.e. Your opinion of the current GN'R tour). 

Your points are are valid about wanting new music. However, you have to look at it from the business aspect as well. This is a big thing - there is a whole generation of people who have never seen GN'R before. Sure they could have gone to see the band between 2001 and 2014, but let's ignore that fact for now. From a business standpoint, when you're embarking on a huge stadium reunion tour, you want to do what will please the most people. And that is, no matter what band you're talking about, to play the hits - the songs people know. Dropping a new album and playing a bunch of that would limit how many of the hits they can squeeze into the set, and a lot of the casual fans would avoid the shows. So yeah, for a first tour back together I can see why they did it like they did. But I'll be with you totally if this reunion just becomes a nostalgia thing with nothing new coming out of it following this tour. 

• Like 1

Thanks god the majority of fans do care that Slash and Duff are back, unlike you.

If nobody cared for this reunion and there was no demand for tickets, Slash and Duff would go back to their solo projects

and Axl would probably either put an end or go on a hiatus for an indefinite amount of time.

There will be new music when the time comes. When they feel like doing it and not because they have to.

• Like 2

I was impressed by the NITL show I saw. I actually DID enjoy the NuGNR shows I saw, because even when Axl's voice wasn't great, he brought a lot of charisma. However, this time that charisma's only one part of it, and there really is a connection between the Big Three. The time they spent together just playing an instrumental piece was amazing. I'm happy to see them onstage together again. I did see one of the Illusions shows, but it was so long ago and my memory is spotty on it.

As for new music, on this tour they seem to have brought out a number of songs that haven't been played in eons; they do have ways to add variety to the setlist even without new music.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Billsfan said:

Fair enough, I just never said the tour was a failure. It was great, but anyone saying it was perfect it couldn't have been any better blah blah blah needs their head examined IMO 

i'm very interested to see if they make any changes to the setlist when they go to south america, japan and down under since those markets were much more supportive of the nuGuns lineup than North America was