Has the "Not in This Lifetime" Tour Met Your Expectations?

Has The Not in This Lifetime Tour Met, Exceeded or not met your expectations?   

252 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

3 hours ago, Towelie said:

I love GNR as much as I always have, but I promised myself after having seen them back in 2012 that I wouldn't spend another penny on the band until they put out some new music. And Slash and Duff being back in the band doesn't change that for me. 

I saw NuGNR twice, once in 2010 and once in 2012 (with Izzy no less). They were good shows and I enjoyed them, but I have no desire to see Axl perform the same old songs for a third time, regardless of who's playing guitar. 

Part of the reason I go to live shows is to hear the songs I love and how they translate live compared to the album, but I've heard them all live now. I wouldn't be going thinking "I really hope they perform x song" because it's all the same old stuff. Literally, what is there to get excited about at a GNR gig in 2016? Coma and Double Talkin Jive? Yeah, it was cool to see those songs put into the set, but lets be honest, they're feeding us crumbs. 

Maybe if you haven't seen the band before then I could understand why you might get something from the show. But why would anyone who's been following Axl Rose's live career over the last ten years still be entertained by watching Mickey struggling with Estranged for the millionth time or the never-ending excruciating renditions of KOHD or the ghastly nightly rape of November Rain? 

In the words of Prince "heavy rotation never made my world go round."

Coma makes it all worthwhile to see it live; should have been played more back during the UYI tour, Catcher or TWAT may be a crumb, but Coma's a 5 course meal, 

It greatly exceeded my expectations. I expected to go through all the pics and get the best ones and ditch the rest but when I got back from San Diego I was just in a state of awe and excitement that I sort of just talked to everyone (whether online or on the phone) about the show and the next day I just woke up in a total funk. It continued until I went back to work the following Monday. I still almost dont want to revisit it yet because I dont want it to be a downer before I can look at it as I should. I loved every minute of the show, the lead up to the show and every bit after we got back to the hotel from the show. The next day was cool but the whole time it was this feeling of "its over now... " and then Wednesday just sucked entirely.

7 hours ago, Tom-Ass said:

Jesus Christ, the band has only been back together for 5 months after 23 years.  There was so much bad blood for so long, give them some time make sure this feels right..... I obviously don't think everything about this band is perfect, but to whine about new music already?  Welcome To The Jungle is probably the bands most over played song and it has blowing peoples faces off night after night. One of the best songs of the tour, if not the best. So that is your loss there. It is also your loss not caring who is on guitar because Slash has been also melting peoples faces off and causing roars from the crowds just about every time he plays a solo from those same old songs.

I am assuming you saw NuGuns twice but have never seen the band with Slash and Duff?  Again, your loss because this band is 100x better than that drivel NuGuns was delivering.

"Maybe if you haven't seen the band before then I could understand why you might get something from the show" 

Guns N' Roses with Axl/Slash/Duff is in a different stratosphere than Axl/bunch of ass clowns... If you haven't seen the band with Axl/Slash/Duff then you haven't "seen this band before". You might not be able to understand it but it doesn't change the fact that these shows have been great. The reviews and buzz from people that have attended have been overwhelmingly great.

Let them get through the fucking tour. If they decide to continue, there will be new music.

No, I haven't seen Slash/Duff/Axl perform together. And I have no doubt that it beats the experience of seeing NuGNR (although I was a big fan of Ron, and used to spend half my time just watching his fingers when not watching Axl).

But the issue remains.... the songs are all the same. This lineup may have only been playing together 5 months, but it's been 8 years since Axl debuted a new GNR song live. 8 long years of seeing the same songs performed over and over. That's a long time.... For me it's about the music, I'm sure Axl/Slash/Duff share a wonderful chemistry together, but I'd still be bored watching them if they just performed songs I'd aready seen live numerous times.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Towelie said:

No, I haven't seen Slash/Duff/Axl perform together. And I have no doubt that it beats the experience of seeing NuGNR (although I was a big fan of Ron, and used to spend half my time just watching his fingers when not watching Axl).

But the issue remains.... the songs are all the same. This lineup may have only been playing together 5 months, but it's been 8 years since Axl debuted a new GNR song live. 8 long years of seeing the same songs performed over and over. That's a long time.... For me it's about the music, I'm sure Axl/Slash/Duff share a wonderful chemistry together, but I'd still be bored watching them if they just performed songs I'd aready seen live numerous times.

Bummer man because these were some really epic shows. I don't sugar coat anything, don't even like half the people on the stage and it was still completely awesome.  It sounds like you are more of an Axl fan than a Gn'R fan.  If that is the case, I get your pain but you did yourself a disservice not getting to one of the summer shows. If they make it back around, I wouldn't miss it. "Nothing lasts forever" and this shit sure isn't going to.

12 hours ago, jmapelian said:

i'm very interested to see if they make any changes to the setlist when they go to south america, japan and down under since those markets were much more supportive of the nuGuns lineup than North America was

I seriously doubt they will, as this tour isn't about tailoring the set to which region was more 'accepting' of nu-Guns, it's about a reunion between three members of the original lineup, and celebration of the music they made together. Therefore, I would think, regardless of the region, they will play predominantly Appetite-Illusions era material, as that's the focus of the tour, and what they're selling even with the name of it. 

It met my expectations. It's like the next day of the 1993 Buenos Aires show. 

Just the next day. Axl is like he is 32 or something. Duff and Slash are fantastic.

I just want more Richard Fortus into it. I'm really waiting for the next album and I hope we will hear Richard everywhere.

Just everyfuckingwhere. This guy is the "secret weapon" of the band.  

The Slash/Fortus combo is the best in the History of Guns N' Roses. We must hear new material now.

Edited by Caraibes

22 minutes ago, Caraibes said:

It met my expectations. It's like the next day of the 1993 Buenos Aires show. 

Just the next day. Axl is like he is 32 or something. Duff and Slash are fantastic.

I just want more Richard Fortus into it. I'm really waiting for the next album and I hope we will hear Richard everywhere.

Just everyfuckingwhere. This guy is the "secret weapon" of the band.  

The Slash/Fortus combo is the best in the History of Guns N' Roses. We must hear new material now.

You forgot to praise Fortus in your first 5 sentences. Are you OK?

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Tom-Ass said:

Jesus Christ, the band has only been back together for 5 months after 23 years.  There was so much bad blood for so long, give them some time make sure this feels right..... I obviously don't think everything about this band is perfect, but to whine about new music already?  Welcome To The Jungle is probably the bands most over played song and it has blowing peoples faces off night after night. One of the best songs of the tour, if not the best. So that is your loss there. It is also your loss not caring who is on guitar because Slash has been also melting peoples faces off and causing roars from the crowds just about every time he plays a solo from those same old songs.

I am assuming you saw NuGuns twice but have never seen the band with Slash and Duff?  Again, your loss because this band is 100x better than that drivel NuGuns was delivering.

"Maybe if you haven't seen the band before then I could understand why you might get something from the show" 

Guns N' Roses with Axl/Slash/Duff is in a different stratosphere than Axl/bunch of ass clowns... If you haven't seen the band with Axl/Slash/Duff then you haven't "seen this band before". You might not be able to understand it but it doesn't change the fact that these shows have been great. The reviews and buzz from people that have attended have been overwhelmingly great.

Let them get through the fucking tour. If they decide to continue, there will be new music.

I dont agree that NUGNR was drivel. In fact, the NUGNR shows were the best shows Ive been to prior to the reunion

But holy shit, do I agree that the reunion shows blow away any of those shows. Things are on a cometely nother level right now. 

• Like 3

18 hours ago, Tom-Ass said:

Bummer man because these were some really epic shows. I don't sugar coat anything, don't even like half the people on the stage and it was still completely awesome.  It sounds like you are more of an Axl fan than a Gn'R fan.  If that is the case, I get your pain but you did yourself a disservice not getting to one of the summer shows. If they make it back around, I wouldn't miss it. "Nothing lasts forever" and this shit sure isn't going to.

I'm a Brit, so the summer shows Stateside were never an option. 

Just heard rumblings of England dates in 2017. Suddenly everything I promised myself has gone out the window and I'm thinking about going. Lol. 

• Like 3

10 hours ago, Towelie said:

I'm a Brit, so the summer shows Stateside were never an option. 

Just heard rumblings of England dates in 2017. Suddenly everything I promised myself has gone out the window and I'm thinking about going. Lol. 

There you go buddy ;)

• Like 1

On 8/22/2016 at 5:26 AM, DieselDaisy said:

They are basically average to shite separate. It is like Jagger-Richards: separate the two and you get a yuppie pop album from Sir Mick, Jagger poncing around in jogging gear, and a blues album from Keith. Now Keith's albums, unlike Mick's, are rather good but they are not The Stones. Chuck them together and you get this synergy which you associate with The Stones - especially live.

They are f'all without Brian Jones. Izzy is the Brian Jones of GNR. 

2 hours ago, sonofnazareth said:

They are f'all without Brian Jones. Izzy is the Brian Jones of GNR. 

You'd have a hard time making that case credibly considering the trio of records that strongly defined their sound came after Jones died and was replaced by Mick Taylor: "Goat's Head Soup", "Sticky Fingers", and what's widely considered to be their greatest record, "Exile on Main Street".  And in either case, the songs, during Brian's life and post his death, were written by Jagger and Richards.  Izzy, on the other hand, was a key writer. 

So, no, Izzy isn't the Brian Jones of GnR.  Jones doesn't hold a candle to Izzy in importance to his band's success.

I'm glad the tour has been as successful as it has. Almost every review has mentioned the band sounding even better than they had expected. And Axl has been pretty strong. 

But without the addition of a couple new songs then the tour isn't as amazing as it could have been. 

21 hours ago, AxlCole said:

You'd have a hard time making that case credibly considering the trio of records that strongly defined their sound came after Jones died and was replaced by Mick Taylor: "Goat's Head Soup", "Sticky Fingers", and what's widely considered to be their greatest record, "Exile on Main Street".  And in either case, the songs, during Brian's life and post his death, were written by Jagger and Richards.  Izzy, on the other hand, was a key writer. 

So, no, Izzy isn't the Brian Jones of GnR.  Jones doesn't hold a candle to Izzy in importance to his band's success.

Brian Jones made the songs. Mothers Little helper, under my thumb, ruby tuesday, tell me, no expectations, the last time, out of time, lady jane, paint it black, get off my cloud all contain signature Jones licks. The Stones were never the same after he died - their songwriting was at its peak during the jones era..after that they turned into a straight ahead rock n' roll band. The great songs stopped with Goats Head Soup and they made a comeback with Tattoo you, but after that it was over. 

Jones started the band, gave them their name and bluesy direction - listen to the early covers and the immaculate slide guitar and harmonica playing of Jones. Izzy was the same..the heart and soul of GNR. 

12 hours ago, sonofnazareth said:

Brian Jones made the songs. Mothers Little helper, under my thumb, ruby tuesday, tell me, no expectations, the last time, out of time, lady jane, paint it black, get off my cloud all contain signature Jones licks. The Stones were never the same after he died - their songwriting was at its peak during the jones era..after that they turned into a straight ahead rock n' roll band. The great songs stopped with Goats Head Soup and they made a comeback with Tattoo you, but after that it was over. 

Jones started the band, gave them their name and bluesy direction - listen to the early covers and the immaculate slide guitar and harmonica playing of Jones. Izzy was the same..the heart and soul of GNR. 

That would discount the albums Sticky Fingers and Exile though, including such songs as ''Brown Sugar'', ''Wild Horses'' and ''Tumbling Dice''? Additionally, most of Let it Bleed had been created without Jones so you could further throw in ''Gimmie Shelter''.

14 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

That would discount the albums Sticky Fingers and Exile though, including such songs as ''Brown Sugar'', ''Wild Horses'' and ''Tumbling Dice''? Additionally, most of Let it Bleed had been created without Jones so you could further throw in ''Gimmie Shelter''.

Even "Paint it, Black" Jones only did the sitar, it's great but that's it, "Satisfaction" was all Keith, on "Lady Jane" he played only the dulcimer, like, Brian was a polistrumentalist of talent and he enhanced the songs, sure, but he never actually wrote a song, that was all the Glimmer Twins, 

16 hours ago, DieselDaisy said:

Sticky Fingers and Exile are great albums - but the experimentation and colouring of the music wasn't there - Jones gave them an edge. 

The songs that you mentioned are all classics, but they were barely out of the Jones era by that point. Jones contributed some great work on Midnight Rambler, You got the silver and was arguably involved in the arrangement of Honky Tonk Women. Keith's last hurrah in terms of great pop songwriting came with Angie. I'm trying to say that during the Jones era, the Stones could rival the Beatles in terms of genius pop songwriting with Jones bringing a variety of flavours to the mix, to make the songs stand out. 

16 hours ago, giuls said:

Even "Paint it, Black" Jones only did the sitar, it's great but that's it, "Satisfaction" was all Keith, on "Lady Jane" he played only the dulcimer, like, Brian was a polistrumentalist of talent and he enhanced the songs, sure, but he never actually wrote a song, that was all the Glimmer Twins, 

Jones was arguably involved in the writing of Ruby Tuesday and the arrangement of Honky Tonk Women. Every song was credited to Jagger/Richards regardless of the involvement in writing/arranging of other members - Read Bill Wyman's book. 

9 minutes ago, sonofnazareth said:

Sticky Fingers and Exile are great albums - but the experimentation and colouring of the music wasn't there - Jones gave them an edge. 

The songs that you mentioned are all classics, but they were barely out of the Jones era by that point. Jones contributed some great work on Midnight Rambler, You got the silver and was arguably involved in the arrangement of Honky Tonk Women. Keith's last hurrah in terms of great pop songwriting came with Angie. I'm trying to say that during the Jones era, the Stones could rival the Beatles in terms of genius pop songwriting with Jones bringing a variety of flavours to the mix, to make the songs stand out. 

Jones was arguably involved in the writing of Ruby Tuesday and the arrangement of Honky Tonk Women. Every song was credited to Jagger/Richards regardless of the involvement in writing/arranging of other members - Read Bill Wyman's book. 

How many cohesive long players did they produce? Aftermath perhaps? The first three (United Kingdom) albums are dominated by covers and the band got lost in psychedelia and music hall whimsy on Between the Buttons and Their Satanic Majesties Request. Aftermath aside, Beggars Banquet was (arguably) the Stones first bona fide masterpiece. Further, the band peaked as a live band during the Mick Taylor era, 1969 - 73.

Bill Wyman says he wrote the riff in Jack Flash and Mick Taylor was shafted out of songwriting credits throughout, on songs such as ''Moonlight Mile'' and ''Winter''. It is conceivable that Brian should have gotten songwriting credits.

40 minutes ago, sonofnazareth said:

Actually Bill said That Ruby Tuesday was written by only Keith with a bit of help from Brian with the music but he implied the bulk of the work was Keith's in Rolling with the Stones and he never said Brian wrote it, i read it,  the one that said Brian co-wrote Ruby with Keith was Marianne Faithfull in her autobiography, i tend to believe Bill more, he was the sober one, this version is corroborated by Keith himself, it was written about one of his girlfriend the problem on what it is considered enough to earn a writing credit is a landmine but, well, saying Brian was the motor of songwriting isn't true imo, more so when we know Brian became less and less trustworthy as time passed by not showing at concerts or in studio.

22 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

Mick Taylor was shafted out of songwriting credits throughout, on songs such as ''Moonlight Mile'

Well, another murky situation because it was based on a Keith guitar piece "Japanese Thing" and Mick Taylor said himself that he "sort of had a hand  in co-wroting, in a way, or, at least i wrote the riff string part is based on" in his interview with "Guitarword" i, personally, think that the string part isn't enough to have a writing credit.

Edited by giuls

1 hour ago, sonofnazareth said:

...during the Jones era, the Stones could rival the Beatles in terms of genius pop songwriting....

Are you high? 

You're doing an awful lot of re-writing of rock history and using a lot of over-the-top rhetoric in this thread in your attempts to justify your claims that Brian Jones was the Izzy Stradlin of the Stones.  The Stones were great, but in terms of pure songwriting, they didn't come anywhere close to the genius of the Beatles.  Neither in popular measurement terms like chart success, nor technical aspects like innovative writing such as types of musical influence brought into the rock/pop world or even just chord structures etc. 

22 hours ago, AxlCole said:

Are you high? 

You're doing an awful lot of re-writing of rock history and using a lot of over-the-top rhetoric in this thread in your attempts to justify your claims that Brian Jones was the Izzy Stradlin of the Stones.  The Stones were great, but in terms of pure songwriting, they didn't come anywhere close to the genius of the Beatles.  Neither in popular measurement terms like chart success, nor technical aspects like innovative writing such as types of musical influence brought into the rock/pop world or even just chord structures etc. 

Yes, I'm high..high on the Brian Jones era Stones music. 

23 hours ago, DieselDaisy said:

How many cohesive long players did they produce? Aftermath perhaps? The first three (United Kingdom) albums are dominated by covers and the band got lost in psychedelia and music hall whimsy on Between the Buttons and Their Satanic Majesties Request. Aftermath aside, Beggars Banquet was (arguably) the Stones first bona fide masterpiece. Further, the band peaked as a live band during the Mick Taylor era, 1969 - 73.

Bill Wyman says he wrote the riff in Jack Flash and Mick Taylor was shafted out of songwriting credits throughout, on songs such as ''Moonlight Mile'' and ''Winter''. It is conceivable that Brian should have gotten songwriting credits.

Beggars Banquet was Brian's album - Mick Jagger said so himself. Jigsaw Puzzle, Street Fighting Man, No Expectations, Parachute Woman - his unique musical abilities are all over these songs. 

Aftermath is the best album that they ever did in my opinion. Those first three albums may be dominated by covers and some original gems, but listen to something like 2120 South Michigan Avenue - Brian's harmonica playing makes the song. 

Other examples of the genius of Jones on the early albums

Mona

Down Home Girl - Lead lines

Power chords on It's all over now

Guitar solo on Tell Me

All the slide and harmonica work

Down the road apiece - guitar weaving

Weaving on Mercy, Mercy

Guitar lines on Heart of stone

Acoustic rhythm on You Better Move On

Acoustic on Satisfaction - arguably makes the song, perfect accompaniment to Keith's riff

and many more. 

Mick Taylor is a great lead guitarist in the Santana/Clapton vein, but he could never bring the soul like Brian did. We are all entitled to our own opinion of course.