Has the "Not in This Lifetime" Tour Met Your Expectations?

Has The Not in This Lifetime Tour Met, Exceeded or not met your expectations?   

252 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I think its gone as good as we could've hoped for.The Vegas show was good,Dodger Stadium was epic.They sounded great and rocked a full house.They're on time .Just hoping they continue with this lineup and produce some new music and maybe another tour in 2 to 3 years 

• Like 1

After Troubadour, Vegas and Coachella I was kind of burnt out. With Axl on the chair during Vegas/Coachella I was slightly disappointed as it just lacked energy, but the stadium tour has wiped that memory away for me. I've seen them seven times since 4/1 and I'm surprisingly not tired of them yet. I sold my SD tickets thinking I'd be done at this point, but now I kinda wanna go one more time. 

• Like 4

It has very much exceeded my expectations. Axl is performing the best he has since the 90's. Slash is nailing all the old songs and is refreshing Chinese Democracy material. Duff brings his own elements in bass playing, performing, and interacting with the band. Dizzy is Dizzy. Frank has improved, and Melissa is a welcome addition to the band.

I couldn't have asked for anything better...other than new music. But that's unrealistic at this stage. This is certainly the greatest line up we've had since the 90's.

Edited by Live Like a Suicide
  • Like 2

I was a nonbeliever. I never thought Axl and Slash would get back on stage together. I didn't believe it would happen until I saw video proof. Then it really happened....

This tour has been absolutely amazing. Completely outstanding. This tour exceeds all expectations as I didn't have any going in, but I think even if I had high expectations it would have exceeded those as well.

Steven showing up to a couple shows here and there is just the cherry on top.

• Like 4

10 hours ago, Lowrlder54 said:

After Troubadour, Vegas and Coachella I was kind of burnt out. With Axl on the chair during Vegas/Coachella I was slightly disappointed as it just lacked energy, but the stadium tour has wiped that memory away for me. I've seen them seven times since 4/1 and I'm surprisingly not tired of them yet. I sold my SD tickets thinking I'd be done at this point, but now I kinda wanna go one more time. 

I am with you.. I was totally bummed after the April shows.  A reunion was all I wanted for decades and the April shows for me were a let down. I just didn't think they sounded that good and it all seemed 10 years too late.

But from the time they hit the stage in Detroit you could tell things were different. They sounded more like Guns N' Roses again. You could tell Slash was back in his comfort zone and they band put in a lot of practice time.  Even Frank improved somewhat. If I knew how good they were going to be I would have planned another show too. I was initially supposed to go to Cinci but after the April shows I bailed on it. Figures that is when Steven showed up haha..

From the beginning I said it was Axl who was going to make or break this thing though. To make this work with only Axl, Slash and Duff he had to be better than he has been in recent years. I honestly didn't think the guy had it in him anymore but he definitely exceeded my expectations. He hasn't been perfect but it isn't for a lack of effort. The dude has given it 100% every show and some songs he just fucking nails it. Hell even the songs he doesn't sound so hot at anymore like Paradise City.. All of a sudden he will pull it off some random show.

After April this tour definitely exceeded my expectations. I still think they could be better.. Could use an upgrade at some positions or eliminate others but this tour has been a lot of fun. The show I saw was incredible.. I remember in April I could hardly make it through an entire song on you tube. Now I can't tell you how many hours I have spent watching shit from this summer tour. I can't wait to see the videos from Brazil in front of those insane fans \m/

Edited by Tom-Ass
  • Like 4

Silly Tom-Ass, AFD5 is for kids!!!!!

Now that's enough from you....

You'll bloody well enjoy Frank's drum fills (longest tenured drummer in GNFNR HISTORY!!!!!!)

#TeamFrank

#Shutupandlikeit

#MelissaReed

*SeriouS*

My Toronto concert experience was fucking glorious and momentous and life-changing! Standing 5 feet away from Axl, Slash and Duff the whole night....Fuckin' A! This tour has been a testament to the iconic stature and talent of Axl Rose, Slash and Duff McKagan. Watching Steven Adler join them and take their musicianship from a 10 to an 11.... Unbelivable! This band is special! This tour has been special!

It's always saddened me that these guys could never fully enjoy the fruits of their labour. It makes me happy that these guys know there's an entire world out there waiting to cheer them on!

Just waiting on Izzy and Steven to get that full 40 hour work week! :headbang:

• Like 3

Mostly exceeded, I'd say.

• The band sound amazing.
  • I love seeing Fortus and Slash together - I think it's a great combo.
  • Duff is just the fucking man.
  • Axl has miraculously turned back time. It's amazing to see him so happy, but also so... 90s Axl. He has his swagger back. And his voice too. IMO he's been consistently 06 standard, no complaints from me.
  • GNR are relevant again and it looks like they'll leave a legacy as being one of rock n roll's greats. They deserve to be up there with Queen.
  • The ChiDem material has never sounded better, Sluff just give it that punk and hard edge that it was lacking.

The only thing I could ask for is new material. This tour has been 99% perfect for me but if they just had one new song to play I would be even more ecstatic. And an interview couldn't hurt either.

I was never a reunionist, I always supported the ChiDem era (despite my hatred for Ashba) and thought something would come of it eventually. I thought 2014 was going to be the year... but alas I thought every year was going to be the year, and it wasn't. I'm still a Buckethead and Bumblefoot fan and would never have discovered them if it weren't for their time in GNR, so I'm thankful for that. I had always thought a GNR reunion would never happen, and that it was better that way. I thought a reunion would just be a cash grab, that there would be no chemistry after all these years. However when it finally happened, I got goosebumps. I knew I was watching the real GNR again. It's been a joy to watch this year, and I cannot fucking wait for them to come to the UK.

Edited by MrSoftie
  • Like 3

I can't really answer that question, since I didn't set any expectations. I had zero interest in a reunion, and didn't even know if any of the shows would work with my schedule until the full tour was announced anyways. So, yeah.

But anyways - the setlists have been about as good as I could realistically ask for. I got to see 4 songs I'd never seen live before in Detroit, plus one more I hadn't seen since early 2012 in Pittsburgh. Plus the CD songs didn't really get the axe at all. Granted, I'm not a fan of how Slash plays most of them, but I'd rather have Slash playing them a way I'm not happy with than not having them at all. I'd have preferred more setlist variety, but any setlist complaints would be nitpicking; they've played Coma at every fucking show this year. Axl sounds pretty good - I don't think it's as good as 2006 or 2010, but for his age he's doing just fine. 

it has far more than exceeded my expectations! Axl's voice and looks are dramatically *ahem* Better than i could ever have dreamed of in years :) the rapport between Axl and Slash and Duff has been fantastic beginning with the way Slash and Duff huddled around Axl's chair many times in the Vegas shows ( and the piano during NV ) and just improving with each successive show. the surprise of Steven's first appearances was amazing and though i was not there just watching it live via periscope for me was so emotional. and for me personally there were things i never even dreamed of happening...inserting Layla into the set before NV was magic for me and since all i have read in chat is people disliking it i will assume Axl put it there special just for me :lol: it's been a wonderful ride and i have loved every minute of it and i look forward to what's to come :wub:

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

They are basically average to shite separate. It is like Jagger-Richards: separate the two and you get a yuppie pop album from Sir Mick, Jagger poncing around in jogging gear, and a blues album from Keith. Now Keith's albums, unlike Mick's, are rather good but they are not The Stones. Chuck them together and you get this synergy which you associate with The Stones - especially live.

yeah and this threeunion axl/slash/duff is good but not great -- and far from magic -- without izzy stradlin

10 hours ago, downliner said:

I'm not sure truth be told :shrugs: I've loved so much about this tour, not limited to:-

• Axl has been on fire with his vocals!
  • Stevens guest appearances
  • Coma back in the setlist (never in a million years did I think I'd see this live, now I've seen it twice!)
  • Marketing has been phenomenal
  • Axls China Exchange interview was way beyond my expectations as he just doesn't do this kind of thing
  • Being able to listen to the gigs live (quite literally thanks to Periscope) is beyond cool
  • Individual lithos and tshirts designed specifically for each show is a nice touch, and it's all been of a very high quality
  • Picking random Nightrain members on Twitter for a free upgrade is sweet. It's a small gesture which only a few fans receive but it goes a long way in showing the band care about the diehards (or at least pretend to, which is good enough lol)

At the same time I've been somewhat downhearted as time has gone on. It's not my intention to be negative about the tour, but here are the issues which have lead me to find the tour less interesting as time has gone on, and admittedly most of it really is just nitpicking.

• Vegas Blues - Having attended both Vegas shows and having the time of my life I was always going to find the rest of the tour (which I couldn't attend) much less exciting. That's on me, not the band.
  • The Setlist - I've only listened to a few shows on periscope but I can nearly always correctly guess the next song they'll play. That's my issue and not GN'Rs though since the band is performing a gig for the paying crowd in attendance who want to hear the hits. Might put me off attending multiple Euro shows given the ticket price though which is a shame as a few of us planned a roadtrip.
  • Adler - Why did he only guest at 3 shows? Must have been a disappointment to so many diehards who were expecting him after his initial appearances. Guess I just have to cross my fingers that he plays a Euro show I attend, which isn't likely due to the above point about not rotating the setlist enough to warrant multiple shows. I get why he only plays a few songs per night though.
  • Izzy - My main issue. I wish the band were more open about why Izzy wasn't involved. We don't need to know the exact details, but right now I feel it's causing a rift amongst the fanbase which has never before been so united, happy and enthusiastic. I see GNR fans now slinging shit about Izzy, and attacking Izzys fans, which just didn't happen ever prior to this reunion ("he's unreliable", "he's weird", "people only care about the big 3 anyway", "hasn't written a hit since he left gnr" etc etc). A short statement could probably put a lot of this to bed, even if it's just to say that negotiations are ongoing, or even to verify that he won't be at any upcoming shows for the foreseeable future. Currently we don't know if Izzy was offered a full time position, a guest spot, or nothing at all. We don't know anything, and have been left to dissect the lyrics of Izzys 2016 releases - and whilst those releases have been much appreciated by us Izzy diehards it's kinda bittersweet because the "Big 3" supporters just shit all over it. Meanwhile Izzy fans bring up the "Will Izzy be at this show?" before every single gig and that just pisses of the "Big 3" supporters who are sick and tired of hearing the "Izzy complainers".....

Sorry for the long reply, but @Kasanova King bought me a lovely breakfast in Vegas so figured the least I could do is answer his thread honestly :D

Thanks Downliner, Vegas was a blast! 

Exceeded. 

Going into it we had no idea what to expect. A lot of us feared it would be some emotionless money grab. But it's been nothing but positive. Axl and Slash, back together, which seemed impossible for two decades. They're almost giddy towards each other on stage. The band sounds great. Some nice nostalgic touches. The shows are getting great reviews. It's the first time, probably ever, that there's been such a positive vibe and energy surrounding Guns N'Roses, even if some people want to nitpick that apparently it's not GNR without Steven Adler now and they should be mixing up the setlist for those watching every show through a cell phone feed.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, blackieloveless said:

tbh the axl/dc tour is more exciting for me , ive seen axl sing jungle a million times , watching him sing riff raff with angus blows all else away..... sorry .

I was super excited about the Troubadour/Vegas shows but less so in the others, in part because there is no chance of me attending until they hit the UK and whilst the shows were obviously great for those attending they were fairly predictable bar the Adler guest spots and Slash playing CD songs. Not enough of a draw for me to get up in the middle of the night in search of periscopes for every one. :lol:

AXL/DC was more of a draw overall because it came so out of the blue, it was Axl singing new music and I could attend in person. He also put himself on the line doing this and had a lot to prove - more than singing his own hits in many ways. I loved how he completely knocked it out of the park consistently in every show.

I know I will be excited once they hit Europe though. :headbang:

• Like 2

This tour has far exceeded my expectations. I never thought I would have seen Axl, Slash, & Duff back together again in GUNS N' ROSES!!!!!!! For me, seeing my childhood idols at Giants Stadium (aka MetLife Stadium) three weeks after my 40th birthday was a great birthday gift!  

• Like 2

This tour has been great.. Its been more than I could of hoped for.

I seriously thought Axl was done 2 years ago. He sounded fucking weak every video that I saw. For him to come out this year and sing the shit out of these songs and also AC/DC blew my fucking head off. 

I was also surprised that this lineup has worked so well with each other. I knew Slash and Duff would be fine, but I wasnt sure how the rest would fit with them. But they fucking kill it as I got to witness in the flesh here in LA last friday night. 

I never thought they would play Coma, but they have and now its a permanent song in the setlist. How fucking sweet is that, THE deep cut of their catalog is played every night!!

Promotion for this tour, and the designs for the shirts and the lithos has been top notch as well. Kudos to the management teams. 

I guess my only real complaint is that Izzy has yet to play with them. And as usual, we the fans are still in the dark about the inner workings and all that  stuff. Still lots of questions that need answering, but I can kinda understand why they're being so quiet about things......So, I'll leave that alone.

• Like 1