01/29/17 - Tokyo - Saitama Super Arena

RussTCB

11 hours ago, Tom-Ass said:

I'm on the pother side of the fence on that one. Rocket Queen was the highlight SMKC shows and the longer the better it was for me. Hell the first 2 minutes were like he was just warming up and finding his groove. Once the groove was found they morphed into some of his greatest solos of all time. And they were different every time. Hell a couple of them like one New Years reached 30 minutes! I thought it was absolutely phenomenal. Obviously I can see how that would be a bit much for some.  The RQ solo he does with this band doesn't do a a whole lot for me. It is just kind of mehh.. The whole jam is kind of meh... Can't deal with Frank and Fortus on that one..

Did you say they are doing a Blues jam? I did not realize that. I thought they just did the Godfather every night.

I haven't seen the show yet, but on the reported set list I keep seeing 'blues jam' 3/4's the way through the set.

As for the solo spot, I'm more of a fan of short and sweet; keeping it to 8 ,16 or 32 bars and finishing or going back to the song. I'm like that when I play, I LOVE playing solos (obviously), but I don't want to bore people by going on - they really just want to hear their favourite songs. Some people like yourself eat it up, and a lot of people probably fall into that camp; but for me it's fat in the set and I'd prefer them to add another song (even if Axl is taking his breather, one of the others can sing). I just think that hearing the same lead player all night, peoples ears get a little fatigued; unless that lead player has an endless bag of tricks... and as much as love Slash. 

All my examples of how to do it right, always go back to Metallica :P BUT IMO they have the perfect balance. in the first half of the set, they'll play For Whom the bell tolls or something and Kirk will be given 2 minutes at the end to shred away and when he finishes Hetfield is waiting in the wings to start the next song (seamless, nobodies bored), Half way through Rob does the same thing, At the very end before Nothing else matters they give Kirk another minute to noodle and set up NEM. That's a lean set, wit no player getting over-exposed.

Best compromise if the solo sections have to stay are, cut Fortus's solo in Rocket queen (maybe give him the slide solo instead, he always played it well) and let Slash get straight into his talk box solo; would make things shorter, and if he did go on longer it still wouldn't be as long as the current bit.

Having said all of that, nothing is going to change; they obviously like the arrangement of that song. I preferred all past versions of RQ over the current; I'm just not a fan... although the end section is still good in books :)

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Free Bird said:

Thanks mate

Great vocal performance from Axl

I don't get how anybody doesn't appreciate this solo. Never heard any guitarist before playing this better. Phenomenal and mesmerizing.

I've noticed you chose to use both "phenomenal" and "mesmerizing" to describe this solo. That was the best he ever played it. I still prefer Robin's original, but this Slash version is outstanding. 

Edit: still listening. This version rivals the studio version. This is melting my brain. Slash on beast mode.

Edited by Rovim
  • Like 2

22 hours ago, IncitingChaos said:

That was one of his last performances for almost two years...I'm sure he knows we want rasp and said screw it I got this. 

Now he's thinking "I have a hundred shows left, no rasp for you!"

If Axl knows that this way will take him to the end of the tour with no struggle, I'm ok with that.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Free Bird said:

Thanks mate

Great vocal performance from Axl

I don't get how anybody doesn't appreciate this solo. Never heard any guitarist before playing this better. Phenomenal and mesmerizing.

7 minutes ago, Rovim said:

I've noticed you chose to use both "phenomenal" and "amazing" to describe this solo. That was the best he ever played it. I still prefer Robin's original, but this Slash version is outstanding. 

I think the problem is that Slash just throws notes in and there instead of creating a melody structure in it, like Robin and DJ did. Technically talking I agree instead, he plays very well.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Torb said:

I think the problem is that Slash just throws notes in and there instead of creating a melody structure in it, like Robin and DJ did. Technically talking I agree instead, he plays very well.

But in this performance he nailed it. Rivals the studio version. Not just throws notes in, nailing it.

Edited by Rovim
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Rovim said:

But in this performance he nailed it. Rivals the studio version. Not just throws notes in, nailing it.

I'm not of your opinion, sorry.
If a solo is remarkable, you can basically "sing" on it because the structure gets stuck in your head. Slash is playing VERY good here, but he's just improvising imho

• Like 1

Just now, Torb said:

I'm not of your opinion, sorry.
If a solo is remarkable, you can basically "sing" on it because the structure gets stuck in your head. Slash is playing VERY good here, but he's just improvising imho

It's so beautiful. Especially the second part. Just improvising remarkably. From 2:54 it's brilliant shit. What more could you possibly want.

17 minutes ago, Rovim said:

It's so beautiful. Especially the second part. Just improvising remarkably. From 2:54 it's brilliant shit. What more could you possibly want.

Perhaps, stop playing it randomly every night and build a solo like he did on Better? :P 

38 minutes ago, Torb said:

Perhaps, stop playing it randomly every night and build a solo like he did on Better? :P 

Agreed. He should really just sit down and hammer out a solo for this song, his improvisations are really hit and miss. The second half of that TIL solo was pretty awesome but the first half didn't do much for me, even though it started well. The solo doesn't need that many notes crammed in IMO.

• Like 1