01/29/17 - Tokyo - Saitama Super Arena

RussTCB

7 hours ago, GNRmello77 said:

Yes November Rain is really great the way it's approached now! People on here said Coma was great from the 2nd Tokyo show but i haven't found a video yet, anyone managed to do so? 

Finally just watched it.  Axl did sound a lot better on it than others I have seen.. 

Overall I think the band could sound a little better though.. Maybe the tempo and drum fills..

• Like 2

My god.. That "better" performance was incredible. For me the best performance ever of that song.  Axl was so mangificently in control of everything, slash being slash, ..  

Melissa is really important ( voice and synth s) and duff's bass sound.  

But the real thing is axls voice.. Lord, what a nice job

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Black Sabbath said:

I agree. Being someone who's typically pretty critical of performances of Better (almost to the point where I wish they'd actually drop it and play Shackler's Revenge instead), especially the first half of the song, that was solid.

If they played Shacklers I'd be thrilled.its awesome live, never liked it on the record but when Axl's voice is on it is amazing. If he'd just use the voice he used on Shoot to Thrill instead of his 2012 voice it would work 

This I Love is one of the songs that does so well live. Fans come to see Axl and Slash and no song highlights them as well as TIL. Axl's voice isn't muffled among the other instruments and Slash's solo comes in with such power and distinction that it just turns a mediocre song into a highlight at the concerts 

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Torb said:

I think the problem is that Slash just throws notes in and there instead of creating a melody structure in it, like Robin and DJ did. Technically talking I agree instead, he plays very well.

Robins original :drool: Dj's version:jerkoff: Slash's solo in this video:) IMO Slash has the bones of a really cool alternate solo, but there's just too much noodling and not enough of a focus on melody or a hook; so it's hard for me to say it's as good or better. For me you can't top Robins 2nd half of the solo, with all those great double stops. 

1 hour ago, Tom2112 said:

Robins original :drool: Dj's version:jerkoff: Slash's solo in this video:) IMO Slash has the bones of a really cool alternate solo, but there's just too much noodling and not enough of a focus on melody or a hook; so it's hard for me to say it's as good or better. For me you can't top Robins 2nd half of the solo, with all those great double stops. 

You can't top it nor can you top TIL especially the 2nd part as well. 

Playing it any other way is a slap in the face to the fans. Playing it differently every night and improving is more like a kick in the nuts for us fans 

Edited by Top-Hatted One

54 minutes ago, Tom2112 said:

Did Robin ever perform the song live?

11 hours ago, Tom-Ass said:

Finally just watched it.  Axl did sound a lot better on it than others I have seen.. 

Overall I think the band could sound a little better though.. Maybe the tempo and drum fills..

I think they are sounding solid now but I agree with you on that! I like that Axl is improving and that the band is barely sounding sloppy, Richard and Slash works well as a combo and they really glued well together now after all the shows they played. Over all this band really has it going!

I actually really appreciate both versions. Robin's take is quite unique, with some cool bends and other little hooks that really highlight his style. While not technically difficult, its kinda hard to recreate because it has Robin's feel all over it. Some notes or slides almost sound odd and you don't expect them but they also sound so perfect at the same time. But it's a composition that he's sat and worked out.

Slash on the other hand just let's rip. Some versions are better than others. The latest Tokyo version is absolutely superb and it's that version that would do more for me if I was actually at the gig. Virtuoso performance. You can always spin the disk for Robin's equally great (but thought out) version.

Edited by LA_0013

On January 29, 2017 at 4:43 PM, TheDemocracyRose said:

Yesterdays was a good and controlled performance. Not much rasp but no mickey!

You watched a different Yesterday's than I did then...bc the one I watched was awful and had some definite Mickey in it especially at the beginning.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, F*ck Fear said:

I guess you have not heard the live versions from LA in 2006.

Actually i did.  But this one haves slash on it. ( plus, melissa and duffs job on this song cant be ignored.. Instruments and vocals.)

So i have no doubt.  ( and i repeat. The way axl managed his voice this last tokyo performance.. As close to the álbum as it can get and even better on some parts)

46 minutes ago, tsinindy said:

You watched a different Yesterday's than I did then...bc the one I watched was awful and had some definite Mickey in it especially at the beginning.

Was it? was it awful? It wasn't awful at all. How do you define awful? his clean voice is not awful. He doesn't need to go full raspy all the time just for it to not be awful.

Edited by Rovim
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Rovim said:

Was it? was it awful? it wasn't awful at all. How do you define awful? his clean voice is not awful. He doesn't need to go full raspy all the time just for it to not be awful.

I totally agree with you, if you've kept up with my posting history, I've argued that very sentiment from day one.  However, this version of "Yesterday's" (to me) was awful.   

Additionally on the "songs don't necessarily need to be raspy to sound great", topic...I am in agreement with this ESPECIALLY if the song was originally recorded clean (see Sweet Child).  Yesterday's was not, so I'm more inclined to expect to be raspy.  

Regardless, this version was not pleasing to my ears, that's how I came to my opinion.   

Edited by tsinindy

That TIL solo is amazing! So happy to see Slash nailing it. I didnt like his early performances but he made it sound his own and it is sounding really good! Love Robin's take the most but this is much better than DJ's and I can understand when people prefer Slash's take over Robin's.

• Like 1