02/04/17 - Auckland - Western Springs Stadium

RussTCB

On 05/02/2017 at 10:46 PM, cremefraiche said:

https://adramatization.wordpress.com/ (link to my shitty little blog where I did a slightly more professional review haha )

i have to quote this

"His face during Live and Let Die, redder than the Devil’s dick, veins sprouting like a cracked windshield, eyes watering, screaming his lungs out for us, is something that will be permanently etched in my memory." 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, ludurigan said:

i have to quote this

"His face during Live and Let Die, redder than the Devil’s dick, veins sprouting like a cracked windshield, eyes watering, screaming his lungs out for us, is something that will be permanently etched in my memory." 

Holy fuck what a great description lol

On 04/02/2017 at 9:47 AM, Gibbo said:

If you missed it check this out

this jam tells you everything you need to know about the aliens

they play the very same chords on the very same rhythm pattern for 3 minutes

===

for what i can figure (people on this forum who play guitar will know better) they are playing whatever notes based around G# G# G# G# F# F# G# G#

and then again

and again

and again

and again...

i can not notice any chord changes

i can not notice even struming pattern changes

nothing

===

anyone who played the most basic blues jam knows that there are a lot of "old/familiar" places where you can go

and of course there are also other (dozens) of places where you can always go with music

but apparently duff and the aliens dont change anything for 3 minutes

===

richard the "very skilled and very technical" guitar player keeps the very same chords and the very same strumming pattern for the entire duration

no matter how good slash is (and he's been like jekyl and hide in the last few years, alternating terrific slash-like signature bluesy moments with some annoying fast-playing shredding nonsense) there is no way to make the music grow and flow and get to "explode" (like it usually happens on GNR songs) if the rhythm players keep on doing the same thing for 3 minutes

i dont know how is that duff puts up with this nonsense

he should know better

slash too

very, very uninspiring stuff

and gives you a hint of what will happen if/when the aliens write and record songs with duff, slash and axl

===

i am not sure about you but i miss GNR

21 hours ago, MrSoftie said:

I'd really prefer it if Slash wrote his own melodic solo for TIL instead of just noodling all over it each time. It really sounds like he's playing to a different backing track and it just doesn't remotely suit the song. What he's playing is oblivious to the rest of the song and all the orchestral parts. When Axl comes back in at the end it all just seems jarring and out of place. I'm not that bothered because there are countless amazing live versions from 2010 where Axl was fucking incredible. It just kinda spoils one of my favourite songs.

Slash pretty much stuck note-for-note to Robin and Bucket's Twat solos and I wonder if that's because Axl perhaps requested that or because Slash liked those solos but didn't like Robin's TIL solo.

Ah well, it's a small gripe. 

Just a reminder that last year people on here were talking about tension between them and not vibeing etc. They're clearly having the time of their lives and appreciating every moment of it. Even when he was singing at his best and giving 100% energy to his performance in 2010 Axl didn't appear to be having even 1/4 of the fun he's having here. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Jordan Rose said:

I'd really prefer it if Slash wrote his own melodic solo for TIL instead of just noodling all over it each time. It really sounds like he's playing to a different backing track and it just doesn't remotely suit the song. What he's playing is oblivious to the rest of the song and all the orchestral parts. When Axl comes back in at the end it all just seems jarring and out of place. I'm not that bothered because there are countless amazing live versions from 2010 where Axl was fucking incredible. It just kinda spoils one of my favourite songs.

Slash pretty much stuck note-for-note to Robin and Bucket's Twat solos and I wonder if that's because Axl perhaps requested that or because Slash liked those solos but didn't like Robin's TIL solo.

Ah well, it's a small gripe. 

Really surprised of how opinions can differ. Most of you seem to not like the way Slash performs that solo but it really gives me goosebumps when I hear him play it and I don't consider it noodling because IMO it fits perfectly the song the way he plays it. Even if it's different each time, it's always played with so much passion.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Free Bird said:

Really surprised of how opinions can differ. Most of you seem to not like the way Slash performs that solo but it really gives me goosebumps when I hear him play it and I don't consider it noodling because IMO it fits perfectly the song the way he plays it. Even if it's different each time, it's always played with so much passion.

I like Slash on TIL, but I thought that particular version was fantastic. One of his best.

4 hours ago, Free Bird said:

It sounds amazing. I love it, too. Noodling. Pffftttt. Nobody outside these forums is analyzing solos, tempo, or set lists. All the analyzing is pointless. 

1 hour ago, Oldest Goat said:

BTW regarding CD songs, I got the impression people were into them but simply don't know them so aren't singing along. I thought This I Love was great and Better was possibly the best performance of it so far

Completely agree. Axl got huge cheers after his performance on TIL