Amsterdam

Dazey

So I'm going to be in the Netherlands for a few days in mid September on business. My hotel is just south of Rotterdam for the 3 days I'm with work but I'm flying in and out of Amsterdam and I've decided to travel there and stay a few more days to do some sight seeing.

Now I know that there's already a travel thread but I thought it would just be amusing to make a separate thread for Amsterdam tourists who absolutely don't want to smoke weed. :lol:

So basically I have no interest in getting baked and I have a couple of days to kill. Any suggestions?

Edited by Dazey

Ive been to Amsterdam 2 times, in the tulip season which is basically between late march to early May. 

So well that in September won't help, In Amsterdam you can do the Canal cruise, do a full city tour. You can go to that 'I Amsterdam" sign.

If you have some free days then you can do Zaanse Schans Windmills,  Delft, The Hague and Madurodam Day Trip.

You can do a day trip to brussels, but it was just ok, I would not recommend it.

You can also do the evening red light area tour or just go there by yourself

You can go do the Body World/Bodies, its like the one in NY if you have been there.

Don't forget to have famous Fries, they are pretty good.

I usually book my tours from Viator.

https://www.viator.com/Amsterdam/d525-allthingstodo

4 minutes ago, Dazey said:

So I'm going to be in the Netherlands for a few days in mid September on business. My hotel is just south of Rotterdam for the 3 days I'm with work but I'm flying in and out of Amsterdam and I've decided to travel there and stay a few more days to do some sight seeing.

Now I know that there's already a travel thread but I thought it would just be amusing to make a separate thread for Amsterdam tourists who absolutely don't want to smoke weed. :lol:

So basically I have no interest in getting baked and I have a couple of days to kill. Any suggestions?

This is what the landmarks look like in Amsterdam just incase you see them and you haven't heard of them before;

05.jpg

It's their national monument.

This, the 3 crosses of St. Andrews is Amsterdam

2000px-Flag_of_Amsterdam.svg.png

1 hour ago, Dazey said:

There must be some bangin' sniff knocking about Amsterdam...plus they love a drink too, the Dutch, you'll be well away.  Username, can you sort the boy out some ching while he's over?

Snakepit is your chap there. Just walk around smoking a joint, filming yourself while seeking Amsterdam's only fried chicken shop. Then post a bunch of stoned musings such as, ''Amsterdam is Europe. We are Europe. Why then are we not Amsterdam?'' or something similar.

Edited by DieselDaisy
  • Like 3

supermercados-en-amsterdam-supermarkets-

This was the only supermarket I found that wasn't an Aldi or a Lidl...

It's big there so; so you'd probably see a bunch of smaller AH's like Tesco Expresses or Sainsbury Local, and a hand full of bigger ones.

I used a big one all the time, it was near enough for me to walk to; and if you end up in the same tourist part as I seemed to; It's literally behind the Royal Palace of Amsterdam.

10 minutes ago, Slash787 said:

Snake-pit disagrees 

Snakepit also thinks he lives in Surrey, having spent the last however many years bangin' on about his South London credentials, so i can be forgiven for feeling that his testimony is somewhat flighty and unreliable :lol:

Anyway, the big museums ofcourse. Rijks, Van Gogh, Stedelijk museum and oh and Rembrandthouse.

furthermore, Anne Frank house, jewish history museum, resistence museum, hermitage, new church (nieuwe kerk) on the Dam, Amsterdam museum, onze lieve vrouwe op zolder (church), shipping museum,  if you ever come with your kid, pretty certain you would love Nemo (science museum). Be the tourist and jump in a boat tour. Vondelpark to take a rest. 

Don't eat shoarma or Argentinian in the centre. It makes you throw up. Go eat in the Jordaan or Loetje aan 't Ij (great steak and at the docs) or the other one on the Vermeerstraat. A walk through the Jordaan is fun. Nice shops and places to eat/lunch. You can also visit the three towers (churches) like the Westertoren. http://www.westertorenamsterdam.nl

Just let me know where you are interested in, and I reply.?

8 hours ago, Graeme said:

I am so surprised this wasn't a Snake-Pit thread...

Me too. But it was a good kind of surprise. Most replies though, were the usual let-down whenever Amsterdam comes up. 

Anyway, Dazey, will you have something along the lines of a car at your disposal? or will you be limited to public transport and rental bikes? 

Also, like MB said, what are you looking for? 

Take the cliche touristy canal tour. It gives you a nice overview of the city and some history. As an alternative, try a guided walking tour. They're often free and seriously good fun. 

If art is your thing, you'll be fine. Just visit the Rijksmuseum and the Van Gogh museum, Stedelijk museum and Rembrandthouse.

Rent a bike and bike around. It'll give you a good perspective of the city and you'll cover a good deal of ground. Chill at the Vondelpark or Westerpark. 

For shopping check De Negen Straatjes (The 9 Streets). Lot's of small independent stores and places to eat. Good record store too. 

If you want the Anne Frank House, book in advance. Queue's are depressingly long.

Also, everything MB said. 

Zaanse Schans does offer some old-fashioned Dutchness like windmills, clog-makers etc. However, it's all a bit fake. Well, it's real, but it's designed for tourists. Could be nice, but adjust your expectations for it. For a actual authentic landscape just travel to Kinderdijk, near Rotterdam. 

Marketwise, the Albert Cuypmarkt is nice. Busy. Good street food. Speaking of which: 

List of food you should try: 
- Stroopwafels (preferably fresh at a market)
- Pannenkoeken (Dutch pancakes)
- Poffertjes (preferably fresh at a market)
- Bitterballen (in a pub)
- Pepernoten
- Hutspot and/or stamppot boerenkool with rookworst
- Haring 

Know that coffeeshop means weed, cafe means coffee place/pub/bar. And while we're on the subject of drinking, ignore The Heineken Experience. It's horrible. Instead, if you want some beer, visit the IJ brewery. Great beer, beautifully located. An alternative nearby is the Jopen Church in Haarlem which also offers great beer. For the strong stuff, maybe the (somewhat commercial) House Of Bols for liquers and Jenever. Try some Dutch Jenever, but make sure it's old Jenever (different recipe from young Jenever, it has nothing to do with age). I suggest Zuidam, if it's available. 

Edited by username
  • Like 1

Just now, username said:

Me too. But it was a good kind of surprise. Most replies though, were the usual let-down whenever Amsterdam comes up. 

Anyway, Dazey, will you have something along the lines of a car at your disposal? or will you be limited to public transport and rental bikes

Also, like MB said, what are you looking for? 

Take the cliche touristy canal tour. It gives you a nice overview of the city and some history. As an alternative, try a guided walking tour. They're often free and seriously good fun. 

If art is your thing, you'll be fine. Just visit the Rijksmuseum and the Van Gogh museum, Stedelijk museum and Rembrandthouse.

Rent a bike and bike around. It'll give you a good perspective of the city and you'll cover a good deal of ground. Chill at the Vondelpark or Westerpark. 

For shopping check De Negen Straatjes (The 9 Streets). Lot's of small independent stores and places to eat. Good record store too. 

If you want the Anne Frank House, book in advance. Queue's are depressingly long. Also, everything MB said. 

Zaanse Schans does offer some old-fashioned Dutchness like windmills, clog-makers etc. However, it's all a bit fake. Well, it's real, but it's designed for tourists. Could be nice, but adjust your expectations for it. For a actual authentic landscape just travel to Kinderdijk, near Rotterdam. 

Marketwise, the Albert Cuypmarkt is nice. Busy. Good street food. Speaking of which: 

List of food you should try: 
- Stroopwafels (preferably fresh at a market)
- Pannenkoeken (Dutch pancakes)
- Poffertjes (preferably fresh at a market)
- Bitterballen (in a pub)
- Pepernoten
- Hutspot and/or stamppot boerenkool with rookworst
- Haring 

Know that coffeeshop means weed, cafe means coffee place/pub/bar. And while we're on the subject of drinking, ignore The Heineken Experience. It's horrible. Instead, if you want some beer, visit the IJ brewery. Great beer, beautifully located. An alternative nearby is the Jopen Church in Haarlem which also offers great beer. For the strong stuff, maybe the (somewhat commercial) House Of Bols for liquers and Jenever. Try some Dutch Jenever, but make sure it's old Jenever (different recipe from young Jenever, it has nothing to do with age). I suggest Zuidam, if it's available. 

:lol: that fat bastard on a cycle :lol: 

I somehow doubt he'd want to cycle anywhere to be honest.

• Like 1

And, as mentioned before, try neighbourhoods like De Pijp and Jordaan to get away from the tourists, the hookers and the annoying stoned out of their mind tourists. For the Dutch Pancakes thing, try The Pancake Bakery. It's right between Jordaan and the center.  

• Like 1

I saw this video before I returned; It suggests local stuff to enjoy like gin and pickled herring (not for me) but it let me know what the Dutch were all about.

The Netherlands is a conservative country that leads the world in liberal politics... Like anywhere, just respect the local culture (Which in the case of this society means 'NO TALKING BAD ABOUT ZWARTE PIET' or whatever); just enjoy the Dutch and remember it's their country and you'd be fine... Also, like the old adage 'When in Rome do as the Romans do' (or whatever); When in Amsterdam...

Edited by Snake-Pit

Oh, also, if you're a football fan you might want to check out the Amsterdam Arena for everything Ajax. Personally, I'd say it's a big waste of time. But I'm not much of a football fan. 

On the concert side, you could check the websites of Paradiso, Melkweg and maybe Bitterzoet to see if there are any nice gigs. 

• Like 1