Amsterdam

Dazey

2 hours ago, MB. said:

Are you a couple of days in Amsterdam or Rotterdam?

I’m going to be staying three nights at this hotel near Rotterdam for a conference.

https://www.carlton.nl/hotel-oasis-spijkenisse

After that’s finished I was planning to get a train to Amsterdam and stay a couple more nights in a hostel or cheap hotel.

That’s about it really as far as planning so far.

The only thing I’m not really interested in is the Snakepit tour but otherwise I’m totally open to suggestions.

Just now, Dazey said:

I’m going to be staying three nights at this hotel near Rotterdam for a conference.

https://www.carlton.nl/hotel-oasis-spijkenisse

After that’s finished I was planning to get a train to Amsterdam and stay a couple more nights in a hostel or cheap hotel.

That’s about it really as far as planning so far.

The only thing I’m not really interested in is the Snakepit tour but otherwise I’m totally open to suggestions.

Ah the Snakepit tour.... I should open up a ticket booth.

In Rotterdam there is actually a lot of nice stuff as well. Lots of modern architecture buildings. It was totally bombed in WWII so when rebuilding it, they used famous architects to do it. The Zoo is fun there, you can watch sharks. Going on the euromast is cool. You can also book a boat trip to see the huge docs over there.

But Rotterdam is not a city I go to very often. We just don't, lol. Maybe username can help you better with that.?

Well, in Amsterdam, I would certainly go to the Rijksmuseum and van Gogh museum, those you shouldn't miss. The jewish history museum is really interesting. Buy your tickets online it saves you a lot of time. The canal tour is fun, but don't take the hour one, it's so boring.

btw book late and go to booking.com you often can find a cheap, but nice hotel on there. They often have great discounts.

4 minutes ago, MB. said:

In Rotterdam there is actually a lot of nice stuff as well. Lots of modern architecture buildings. It was totally bombed in WWII so when rebuilding it, they used famous architects to do it. The Zoo is fun there, you can watch sharks. Going on the euromast is cool. You can also book a boat trip to see the huge docs over there.

But Rotterdam is not a city I go to very often. We just don't, lol. Maybe username can help you better with that.?

Well, in Amsterdam, I would certainly go to the Rijksmuseum and van Gogh museum, those you shouldn't miss. The jewish history museum is really interesting. Buy your tickets online it saves you a lot of time. The canal tour is fun, but don't take the hour one, it's so boring.

btw book late and go to booking.com you often can find a cheap, but nice hotel on there. They often have great discounts.

True, I always book from booking.com 

3 hours ago, MB. said:

Already did. :P 

http://www.mygnrforum.com/index.php?/topic/213200-2016-travel-thread/&do=findComment&comment=4247479    

Not that I go there often either. ;) 

Edited by username
  • Like 1

17 hours ago, DieselDaisy said:

Snakepit is your chap there. Just walk around smoking a joint, filming yourself while seeking Amsterdam's only fried chicken shop. Then post a bunch of stoned musings such as, ''Amsterdam is Europe. We are Europe. Why then are we not Amsterdam?'' or something similar.

I didn't even seek it... I found it/stumbled across it; Same logo/menu and everything. - :) Everyone eating there were from endz and I didn't know these people/didn't travel out with them either; That was cool; Amsterdam IS a world city...

Megabyte and Ron can tell you better

I stayed in Crowne Plaza City Centre, West Cord City Centre and Budget Hotel tourist Inn. All of them are great hotels, no bed bugs or anything, many hostels/hotels have bed bugs problem in Amsterdam. 

The hotels I mentioned above are well located, have great connectivity and are within walking distance to the main sites. But to the Rijksmuseum you would need to take a tram, I guess tram number 2 and 5 goes there, not sure. 

10 minutes ago, Slash787 said:

Megabyte and Ron can tell you better

I stayed in Crowne Plaza City Centre, West Cord City Centre and Budget Hotel tourist Inn. All of them are great hotels, no bed bugs or anything, many hostels/hotels have bed bugs problem in Amsterdam. 

The hotels I mentioned above are well located, have great connectivity and are within walking distance to the main sites. But to the Rijksmuseum you would need to take a tram, I guess tram number 2 and 5 goes there, not sure. 

I stayed Travel Hotel in Amsterdam, like a hostel; no bed bugs, great rate, wifi/computers/pool table/bar/friendly staff, a Stoner's throw away from major stuff like Museums, Landmarks and sourviner shops about a 5 or so minute walk from Amsterdam Centraal station which is less than 20 minutes on the train from Schiphol Airport. 

Edited by Snake-Pit

Hagelslag

de_ruijter_milk_400g.jpg

The Dutch love this on toast with unsalted butter; it's not bad having it on toast, I have tried it; but; I do like eating this straight out of the box.

The chocolate in this product tastes like Cadbury's Flake.

img_7597.jpg

The chocolate in this product tastes like Nestlé Smarties.

If you like chocolate that is.

*And want something uniquely Dutch. 

Edited by Snake-Pit

1 hour ago, PappyTron said:

Snake-Pit is such a stoner stereotype. I can't possibly understand why MB wants him nowhere near her city. :lol:

I'm with MB on that one.... 

Also, why the constant random number of enters between sentences? Reminds me of Warchild... 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Snake-Pit said:

Snakes, mate, has it not occured to you during your reams and reams of assessments of Amsterdam put forth on this forum that, perhaps, it's probably a bit insulting to people of Amsterdam reading them that, despite your obvious love for the place, you can't find anything of value there other than a bag of draw and two types of indigenous confectionary? :lol:  

It's something akin to walking up to an Irishman in Cork, slapping him on the back and goin' 'alright Geez', fancy a Guiness?  You lot love a spud, don't ya?' :lol:

Edited by Len B'stard

46 minutes ago, Len B'stard said:

Snakes, mate, has it not occured to you during your reams and reams of assessments of Amsterdam put forth on this forum that, perhaps, it's probably a bit insulting to people of Amsterdam reading them that, despite your obvious love for the place, you can't find anything of value there other than a bag of draw and two types of indigenous confectionary? :lol:  

That's because I'm from London m8...

We have so much; I am spoilt to be honest.

Just last week I had graveyard shift labouring setting up new exhibits and rooms at the British Science Museum; (Way cool)! (Plus that whole Night at Museum vibe); I used to promote a lesbian bar in Soho, Soho is tons of fun, and I like VOS Gibsons and Gibson Custom Shops and old Fenders that rrp for £116, 000.00 etc... I like South Kensington and Knightsbridge at night; I love our music, fashion and our 24/7 city status where shit at 3am/4am is still ongoing; I love it here. Amsterdam hasn't got that; they do have hagelslag, weed and take a liberal stance to the sex trade though, which are just as fun as all that awesome vibrancy of London.

Edited by Snake-Pit

29 minutes ago, username said:

I'm with MB on that one.... 

Also, why the constant random number of enters between sentences? Reminds me of Warchild... 

All that culture, reduced to marijuana and chocolate sprinkles! MB would love me as a guest to your fair city though. :P

Just now, PappyTron said:

All that culture, reduced to marijuana and chocolate sprinkles! MB would love me as a guest to your fair city though. :P

:lol: Hagelslag is like one of their greatest achievements, alongside the legal marijuana.

Edited by Snake-Pit

1 minute ago, Snake-Pit said:

That's because I'm from London m8...

We have so much; I am spoilt to be honest.

:lol:

Yeah but we don't do we, we don't have whats in Amsterdam, we don't have its towns, its history, its people, its culture, thats the idea of travel, to broaden your horizons, not pop in the brasshouse, bang out a couple of spliffs then off home with your hagelslag and a pack of mucky playing cards.

Just now, Snake-Pit said:

Hagelslag is like one of their greatest achievements, alongside the legal marijuana.

I'm sure the Dutch appreciate the support Snakes :lol:

Snakepit on holiday:

Does it not bother you that you pay to go to a place and probably leave 99% of the people you pass thinking you're a nobber and wishing you went home?

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Len B'stard said:

:lol:

Yeah but..., we don't have whats in Amsterdam...

I know... That's why I go on about these things such as hagelslag and stuff.

Hagelslag should come to the UK (other than by way of pay through the nose online specialty/ex-pat shopping). 

The Dutch invented the stock exchange.

Hell, Brixton even claims Vincent Van Gogh's troubled origin.

https://www.theguardian.com/artanddesign/2014/apr/27/brixton-house-hold-key-vincent-van-gogh-london

And guess what forum/Amsterdam; Brixton's MY neck of the woods. :lol: (If you want to talk about history, I'll school you).

London rules/rocks. Amsterdam is way fun though.

Edited by Snake-Pit