Gilby Clarke interview - 'I don't know if you can call this a reunion'

Aside from Slash and Duff who were always great professionals (after Axl finished GNR to create a solo project also called GNR) these guys were never really functional. It took years for Axl to accept starting the shows earlier with his solo band. Izzy likes to remain quiet in the shadows, Steven always had drug problems. It's a miracle the original 3 are together again and just about to finish a successful US tour. I knew since the beginning this was the closest to a reunion we would ever get. It's an aspect of this band I can't really complain. It's about being realistic.

• Like 4

31 minutes ago, StrangerInThisTown said:

Sounds like just what people have been saying up until 8 months ago for 20 years for slash.

The difference is who the hell cares about Gilby? Actually having a 2 years touring musician say it's not a reunion because he ain't in it is so ridiculous and pathetic, I don't know weather to laugh or cry...

• Like 3

He continued: "Look, first of all, everybody gets along great and stuff; it's great music; GUNS N' ROSES is a great band and has a great legacy. I think everybody just wants to see it done right. And when it's time, we'll do it."

Aha, so they will all do it when its time ...  Is Gilby even aware of the fact, that there is no place for him in the band, once Izzy comes back? *shaking my head*

• Like 1

GILBY CLARKE On GUNS N' ROSES' 'Not In This Lifetime' Tour: 'I Don't Know If You Can Really Call It A Reunion'

August 22, 2016 64 Comments

During a brand new interview conducted this past Saturday (August 20) at the first annual Pistons & Pin-Ups Car Show N' Concert in Chatsworth, California, former GUNS N' ROSES guitarist Gilby Clarke was once again asked for his thoughts on the reunion of long-estranged GN'R singer Axl Rose and guitarist Slash for the "Not In This Lifetime" tour, which kicked off in April and is scheduled to last at least through next year. Clarke, who was not an original member of the group, said (see video below): "The reunion that happened is really just Axl, Slash and Duff [McKagan, bass]. Basically, Slash and Duff have joined Axl's band. So I don't know if you can really call it a reunion. So, myself, Matt [Sorum, former GUNS N' ROSES drummer], Izzy [Stradlin, former GUNS N' ROSES guitarist]… it didn't happen as a reunion for all of us to join. So I think if the time was right and the situation was right, I think everybody would come back and do it."

He continued: "Look, first of all, everybody gets along great and stuff; it's great music; GUNS N' ROSES is a great band and has a great legacy. I think everybody just wants to see it done right. And when it's time, we'll do it."

Clarke replaced founding guitarist Izzy Stradlin in the GUNS lineup in 1991, during the "Use Your Illusion" tour, and stayed with the band for three years.

He has continued as a producer and solo artist since then, while also playing in ROCK STAR SUPERNOVA, HEART and other acts.

Clarke reunited with GUNS members Slash, Steven Adler, Matt Sorum and Duff McKagan at the band's Rock And Roll Hall Of Fame induction in April 14, 2012, although he himself was not inducted as part of the band.

Gilby is currently recording a new solo album that will feature guest appearances by drummers Stephen Perkins (JANE'S ADDICTION) and Matt Starr (ACE FREHLEY) along with members of Clarke's solo band, EJ Curse (bass/vocals) and Troy Patrick Farrell (drums/vocals).

"It has been a long time since I've put out a Gilby Clarke solo record," Gilby said on Saturday. "So I just thought it was time. It had nothing to do with GUNS N' ROSES. It was just... I noticed when I've been talking to people out on the road that I haven't made a record in a long time. So it's time. And I finally have a good collection of songs that I really like, and I think they should be out. So I'm working on that. Hopefully the end of the year is my goal to get it out, by around Christmas time. So let's see what we can do. I hope it works out."

Read more at http://www.blabbermouth.net/news/gilby-clarke-on-guns-n-roses-not-in-this-lifetime-tour-i-dont-know-if-you-can-really-call-it-a-reunion/#OvIeTeQ6QlZmJUUG.99
Edited by Towelie

12 minutes ago, RooSaa said:

Aha, so they will all do it when its time ...  Is Gilby even aware of the fact, that there is no place for him in the band, once Izzy comes back? *shaking my head*

Haha, I was just about to quote that same line. Seriously Gilby? "we'll do it"?

How delusional can one get. If a GNR reunion is done right, it's going to be just Axl, Slash, Duff, Steven and Izzy.  Gilby is not going to be a part of any reunion, let alone a reunion done right. At best I can see him being a guest at some show like Adler's been on this tour, but even that's somewhat of a stretch, cause nobody really cares about Gilby.

• Like 3

WHAT? Love Gilby but I can't believe he goes to say "people want to see it done right" as if that included him. Best case scenario is the original 5, if we're not getting that, then there's no big difference between the 93 line up and the one we have nowadays. If Richard decided to leave and Izzy refused to come back, I'd be happy to see Gilby return but I don't think anyone's holding their breath waiting for that to happen...

People can live without Duff, without Steven, without Izzy, doesn't Gilby realize he's a million miles away from these guys?

• Like 1

I guess Gilby has just become our usual complainers' favorite  member!

I like him and always clamored so, but I disagree with him. I think what is happening since April has gone way beyond any fan's wildest dreams, so it's totally "done right".

Edited by EvH

I like Gilby but can't follow his reasoning here.

Firstly I think a line up that includes Axl and Slash is going to be considered legitimate by most of the general public. Duff is the icing on the cake. 

Secondly, any attempt to "do it right" to keep the hardcores, the hipsters, and anyone else who actually looks beyond Axl and Slash happy would surely involve a return of the AFD5 line up - that is more frequent adler - and someone working out where that long lost rhythm guy whose name escapes us is.

I can't really see why Gilby would be a part of that. In terms of replicating live shows the current line up recreates the UYI shows well, and in terms of the studio Gilby only played on TSI - great album but it's hardly essential to get him back to do it right.

Personally I would have liked to have seen Matt included. My dream would have been to have Adler on AFD, Matt on the UYI songs, and Frank on CD stuff. However I'm pretty sure it's only a small number of people who want that - especially the matt part - so I don't expect it.

Maybe gilby was hoping to come back and is living in a dream about it. I just can't see any scenario where he does at this stage.

• Like 1

I like Gilby, but not sure what he's on about here.

For me this is a partial reunion. 3 out of 5 of the classic lineup. Or 4 out of 5 for a few songs when Adler shows up. 

A full reunion would obviously be the AFD5. But what we have now is better than anything we've had since 1993, and the band sound great, Axl sounds great and it's amazing to see Slash and Axl share a stage after all the bad blood between them. 

As for Gilby being part of any reunion - why would he/should he? He wasn't an original member, he didn't play on any album (except maybe TSI, which was a covers album anyway) he was a hired gun filling in for Izzy for the rest of the Illusions Tour. He did a great job filling in for Izzy and he's a good guy but he would serve no purpose in a reunion. If we're having a stand in for Izzy then Fortus does the job just fine. 

• Like 2