Gilby Clarke interview - 'I don't know if you can call this a reunion'

It seems to me that Gilby's words were probably taken out of context by the interviewer. Given what he has said in the past -- I sincerely doubt he would suddenly suggest that a true reunion would include him.

With that said, how great would a reunion show be with the AFD 5 and Matt/Gilby doing guest spots during the tour a la Steven? I'm pretty sure that's what Gilby meant and he's right, that would be a true reunion.

• Like 4

31 minutes ago, RONIN said:

With that said, how great would a reunion show be with the AFD 5 and Matt/Gilby doing guest spots during the tour a la Steven? I'm pretty sure that's what Gilby meant and he's right, that would be a true reunion.

That would be my ideal reunion. Original five yet Gilby could play on TSI songs in Duff's guest spot. Matt could play a couple of Illusion songs. Sprinkle a few of these guest spots around the tour.

• Like 3

40 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

That would be my ideal reunion. Original five yet Gilby could play on TSI songs in Duff's guest spot. Matt could play a couple of Illusion songs. Sprinkle a few of these guest spots around the tour.

Yeah, mine too. And I really think that's all he meant and that would indeed be a reunion done right, at least... that's my opinion too.

• Like 2

On August 23, 2016 at 2:55 AM, ironmt said:

I really like Gillby but this Is rather comical. Let It go Gilby, It's over. The world Is not waiting for your return.

It's completely true tho, slash and duff joined axls band, FACT

1 hour ago, sofine11 said:

Gilby...Certainly has a high opinion of himself if he thinks it's not a proper reunion unless he's involved somehow.  

And then there's...you know...reality where the rest of us live.

I feel like some people really want to believe that slash and duff chose fortus and Frank... Yeah no. They joined axls band, not the other way around

• Like 3

22 hours ago, Slash787 said:

He is a great guy, I had gone to his solo show, it was pretty good. Yeah he is not Slash nor he claims to be, he is just a normal rhythm guitarist who composes music and sings. 

He respects his time in Guns N' Roses and knows that the band gave him so much, he has also said in the past that If a reunion happens then Izzy should be there and not him.

Even though I know it won't happen, but him doing some guest appearances on a few songs would be great. 

During the UYI he did his job very well, GNR needs a Rhythm guitarist and not a lead guitar player like Fortus, for lead we have SLASH!

I'd be willing to bet very solid money that if Richard quit they'd bring back izzy

2 hours ago, DieselDaisy said:

He played 138 shows including such high publicised triumphs as the Paris PPV when the band were at their commercial peak, as well as recording The Spaghetti Incident. That is a bit more than 'nothing'!

Was also in all those videos and 99% of Live Era

• Like 1

What Gilby said its been taken out of context. 

He din't expect Fortus or Frank to be there. 

Gilby and Matt were more friends with Duff and Slash over the years than Fortus and Frank. 

If Izzy was there, Gilby would not have said this, even now Gilby will be open for Guest appearances, he would not mind it, but the sad thing is that Slash won't even contact him. Even If Izzy comes back full time, I would not mind Gilby doing some guest appearances and even Izzy won't mind. 

Gilby played with Slash over the years during a few songs live, he din't bitch about that he should have been in Slash's solo band, he was happy to even play a few songs, he stepped in for Izzy at hall of fame, where the hell was Fortus that time? Gilby was fine opening for Slash's band in Argentina, no bitching done there too. 

The most surprising part is that they chose Frank over Matt? 

• Like 1

The ''additional musician'' is Axl revisionism. The demos Slash did for the next Guns album, the same demos that ended up being Snakepit, included Gilby songwriting contributions. It is reasonable to conclude that Slash saw Gilby as somebody the band could write with. It is weird how Axl closed this channel off, wouldn't even entertain the thought of writing with Gilby, considering Pawnshop Guitars has songs GN'R would have and should have chopped their left testicles off to own for themselves. Songs like Cure Me, Kill Me have just the correct blend of riffing, pop melody and rock n' roll that is lacking from Snakepit and Chinese Democracy.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Billsfan said:

I'd be willing to bet very solid money that if Richard quit they'd bring back izzy

They could want him back all they want but at the end of the day It would be up to Izzy. As far as we know he may not be Interested In a full tour and only Interested In making guest appearances every once In a while.

3 hours ago, RONIN said:

THIS!!! They can play some of the UYI era hits.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

The ''additional musician'' is Axl revisionism. The demos Slash did for the next Guns album, the same demos that ended up being Snakepit, included Gilby songwriting contributions. It is reasonable to conclude that Slash saw Gilby as somebody the band could write with. It is weird how Axl closed this channel off, wouldn't even entertain the thought of writing with Gilby, considering Pawnshop Guitars has songs GN'R would have and should have chopped their left testicles off to own for themselves. Songs like Cure Me, Kill Me have just the correct blend of riffing, pop melody and rock n' roll that is lacking from Snakepit and Chinese Democracy.

Well, it's pretty obvious that Axl wanted to move in a different direction with the Snakepit material. So if he wasn't exactly moved by that songwriting combo, then you can see where his head was at the time. There was also a lot of ego and people taking sides that probably affected his opinion as well. There is a very "Stones" meets Stardust era Bowie to Gilby's sound. I actually enjoy The Hangover and Pawnshop. I can also see where that didn't fit with GNR in the mid 90's though... 

The "additional musician" line seems more of a jab at those guys and their departure from the band than anything deeper. There was a lot of GNR press during that time that probably left Axl miffed. They're all members just as the people that came after. 

Nostalgia or not..call it whatever you like... Gilby was more of an original GnR guitarist than any of the new era members... UYI tour, TSI, music videos, even Slash said in his autobio that Gilby was the best rhythm guitarist after Izzy he has ever met... So for that, if there were no Izzy I would take Gilby any time of the day!!

• Like 3

Gilby was a hired hand who just played what he was told to play, I don't see any reason for his guest appearances in what some call a perfect reunion would be. Wtf for? I really don't understand some posters here.  That weird logic - he was there at their peak so he must be a very important member. Never mind he's done nothing and nobody ever gave shit about him, including Slash who never cared to stand up for him, not in the nineties, not now. 

5 hours ago, PsychoKiss344 said:

The only reason anyone likes Gilby is cause he was around during the golden years...

If Gilby played in Guns between 2001-2014 people would hate him.

well, this is correct, but Gilby did a great job on the UYI Tour. The perfect replacement for Izzy. Are you convinced that Frank and 4tus are the perfect replacements for Steven/Matt and Izzy? I can't say that...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DieselDaisy said:

Cure me or kill me is very 'Slither' and 'Set me free' like. Its a darker GnR style...these songs are slash's, duffs, Matts and gilbys interpretation of axls wish to do a 'darker' record/sound. I totally dig this sound, cause it still has a cool and positive vibe, while Axl's CD rockers have a negative vibe for me...Snakepits problem were the singers...

Refusing this ideas was an extremly selfish act of W. Axl Rose. 

Edited by maxpax

22 minutes ago, Asia said:

Gilby was a hired hand who just played what he was told to play

By that definition, every member who has ever joined Guns N' Roses since the Appetite guys have been hired hands. (To be honest, I'm not even sure how much power Slash and Duff have now.)

23 minutes ago, Asia said:

I don't see any reason for his guest appearances in what some call a perfect reunion would be. Wtf for?

If you saw the Illusion tour, there is a 70% chance it was Gilby you saw, not Izzy. If you saw the November Rain video, the Paris PPV, the Tokyo VHS, that was Gilby Clarke there. It is not that difficult to see why some people have sentimentality for this line-up. He also recorded TSI, so a Gilby/Matt guest appearance on, say, 'New Rose'', would re-create a more authentic rendition.

26 minutes ago, Asia said:

including Slash who never cared to stand up for him, not in the nineties, not now. 

Gilby was in Snakepit! When they needed an extra guitarist for the Hall of Fame, who was it who cited Gilby's name? Slash.

• Like 3

22 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

By that definition, every member who has ever joined Guns N' Roses since the Appetite guys have been hired hands. (To be honest, I'm not even sure how much power Slash and Duff have now.)

Man, its like Gilby said...Duff and Slash just joined the NuGnR train...

It would be interesting to know if Slash and Gilby were talking about the reunion lately. So maybe he is just quoting Slash indirectly about the status quo in GnR. Duff and Slash are thankful guys...i think they will try to convince Axl to give Gilby, Izzy and Matt another chance at least...

Edited by maxpax
-

1 hour ago, Asia said:

Gilby was a hired hand who just played what he was told to play, I don't see any reason for his guest appearances in what some call a perfect reunion would be. Wtf for? I really don't understand some posters here.  That weird logic - he was there at their peak so he must be a very important member. Never mind he's done nothing and nobody ever gave shit about him, including Slash who never cared to stand up for him, not in the nineties, not now. 

I don't know... if Slash cared so little about him, why start a band with him? And why does he play on Gilby's solo record? I'm sure he didn't do that just to humour him.

I think it's funny how some posters here speak for everyone else.

Edited by EvanG
  • Like 1