Gilby Clarke interview - 'I don't know if you can call this a reunion'

3 hours ago, Billsfan said:

It's completely true tho, slash and duff joined axls band, FACT

I feel like some people really want to believe that slash and duff chose fortus and Frank... Yeah no. They joined axls band, not the other way around

I feel like some people (though a minority) really want to believe that Gilby was an original member, contributed literally anything to original material, and wasn't brought on board to fill in for Izzy when he left them high and dry, only to be shit canned soon after said touring was complete.  What idiots!  

Edited by sofine11
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, Nikki_Sixx said:

No it's not.

Yes it is. And I explained exactly why. Instead of just disagreeing with no evidence in support, why don't you explain why. I assume you went to a class or family reunion at some point in your life, or know someone that has. Was it not referred to as a reunion because some class/family members chose not to or were unable to attend? This current tour is a REUNION of 3 of the key members of the original band. Saying otherwise is simply being ignorant and hardheaded.

Denial is a river .....

Edited by thunderram
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, ironmt said:

They could want him back all they want but at the end of the day It would be up to Izzy. As far as we know he may not be Interested In a full tour and only Interested In making guest appearances every once In a while.

It's pretty clear he band wanted izzy to make guest appearances. Based on izzys lyrics, videos he posted via Twitter, and Axl having gm a chuckle with the fans signs, izzy clearly wants to be there full time. And it makes sense, with izzy being a founding member hell HES technically been in GNR before slash and duff, it's clear he wasn't interested in just making guest appearances. If he was, he would have been there. 

Axl sees this as a continuation of GNR. Izzy sees the band as selfish since they won't deal him in. It was suspected but FP money seems to confirm it

1 hour ago, sofine11 said:

I feel like some people (though a minority) really want to believe that Gilby was an original member, contributed literally anything to original material, and wasn't brought on board to fill in for Izzy when he left them high and dry, only to be shit canned soon after said touring was complete.  What idiots!  

Gilby wasn't an original member. I would prefer fortus there and frankly, fortus has contributed more to guns n roses than gilby ever did. But gilby was being right, regardless of the fact I just posted, many people see guns n roses as some band that existed from 1987-1993. Therefore, that's the lineup you should have gotten if this was billed as a "reunion".

Some people expected Axl to fired everyone from the last lineup minus dizzy, then slash and duff return. Then izzy(and we know now izzy wanted to be back full time) and probably sorum on drums since even promoters would probably be too afraid of booking Adler full time knowing what's on the line. If izzy didn't want to do it full time, whatever Fortus, gilby you decide.

They still play songs from Chinese. No velvet revolver, no other solo songs, not slither not nothing. Fortus still gets solo spots. They still play the seeker. It's clear as day still Axls band. Slash and duff may be managing but its beyond clear Axl still has the final say. It's just a fact. I could care less if gilby is there over fortus but nothing gilby said was a lie, something you even know to be true 

1 hour ago, sofine11 said:

I've never seen anyone here who claimed the above!

57 minutes ago, Billsfan said:

Gilby wasn't an original member. I would prefer fortus there and frankly, fortus has contributed more to guns n roses than gilby ever did. But gilby was being right, regardless of the fact I just posted, many people see guns n roses as some band that existed from 1987-1993. Therefore, that's the lineup you should have gotten if this was billed as a "reunion".

Some people expected Axl to fired everyone from the last lineup minus dizzy, then slash and duff return. Then izzy(and we know now izzy wanted to be back full time) and probably sorum on drums since even promoters would probably be too afraid of booking Adler full time knowing what's on the line. If izzy didn't want to do it full time, whatever Fortus, gilby you decide.

They still play songs from Chinese. No velvet revolver, no other solo songs, not slither not nothing. Fortus still gets solo spots. They still play the seeker. It's clear as day still Axls band. Slash and duff may be managing but its beyond clear Axl still has the final say. It's just a fact. I could care less if gilby is there over fortus but nothing gilby said was a lie, something you even know to be true 

Man...that's a sobering reality. You're right, it does seem like it's still Axl's band. Maybe Slash really needed the money after his divorce -- it's hard to believe after 20+ yrs of a successful solo career, that he'd sign on to be Axl's hired lackey. 

It can't be that though -- Axl and his cover band were struggling to sell out bowling alleys and clubs in 2013. He had run the brand/band into the ground and had entered his fat Elvis stage. Slash on the other hand is as big now as he ever was.

From the outside looking in, it seems like Axl needed Slash a lot more than the other way around.

He wanted more than anything for Slash to become a has-been with no prospects a la Steven Adler and to come crawling back to him, hat in hand. For a short time in the late 90's/early 2000's it seemed like Slash would not be able to get out from under the shadow of GnR but velvet revolver changed all of that. 

Coming into this reunion, it would seem Slash would be negotiating from a position of strength.

Edited by RONIN
  • Like 2

It depends on what one considers a reunion. If reunion means the 1987 or the 1991 lineups, it isn't a reunion, because full members from those eras are missing. If it means the 1993 lineup, then it is a reunion imo, because all three full members of that era are involved. If it means restoration of the 1993 GnR entity, it isn't a reunion because Axl owns the band name now. But it's not a "regrouping" (i.e. Slash and Duff filling empty slots in Axl's band) either; it's a partnership between Slash, Duff and Axl's band.

Edited by Blackstar

On 8/23/2016 at 11:28 PM, Ecocide said:

coming from a touring member of the band, why not get the backup singers from UYI tour and get their opinion, at least they appeared on the album

• Like 2

3 hours ago, EvanG said:

I don't know... if Slash cared so little about him, why start a band with him? And why does he play on Gilby's solo record? I'm sure he didn't do that just to humour him.

I think it's funny how some posters here speak for everyone else.

he wasn't asked to join Velvet Revolver, or SMKC, or even retained after the UYI tour.

Slash has played on 103 other artists songs inclduing his guest spot on Pawnshop Guitars; what you don't mention is that he never asked Gilby to join another band he formed after Snakepit. So I think there's more to the point that he's not really welcome

• Like 1

I like how Slash and Gilby sounded over how Slash and Fortus sound; Slash and Izzy was iconic but Slash and Gilby was cool; in Guns and in Snakepit.

I liked how Gilby sang too on Pawnshop Guitars and Rubber (Pawnshop Guitars also contained a Rolling Stones Cover with Axl as a guest).

Didn't really give the Ju Ju Hounds much of a chance.

Edited by Snake-Pit

3 minutes ago, jmapelian said:

he wasn't asked to join Velvet Revolver, or SMKC, or even retained after the UYI tour.

Slash has played on 103 other artists songs inclduing his guest spot on Pawnshop Guitars; what you don't mention is that he never asked Gilby to join another band he formed after Snakepit. So I think there's more to the point that he's not really welcome

That reminds me, Supernova; that band of Gilby and Tommy Lee; I think that was what Gilby was doing during VR's formation. IDK, same era, I think, IDK, pure speculation on my part

8 minutes ago, Snake-Pit said:

That reminds me, Supernova; that band of Gilby and Tommy Lee; I think that was what Gilby was doing during VR's formation. IDK, same era, I think, IDK, pure speculation on my part

so are you trying to say Gilby wouldn't have dropped RockBand:SuperNova to play with 3/5ths of GnR? bahaha that's the funnies thing I've heard today, thanks for that!

after checking, it was 2 years after Contraband dropped

Edited by jmapelian

Just now, jmapelian said:

so are you trying to say Gilby wouldn't have dropped RockBand:SuperNova to play with 3/5ths of GnR? bahaha that's the funnies thing I've heard today, thanks for that!

Having Matt/Duff/Slash and Gilby too... Maybe they thought 'not the line up they wanted' 'for fear of whatever politics with Guns N' Roses, their fans and their own careers' IDK.

I mean, VR was like GN'R but not GN'R.

VR had feminine and masculine with Velvet 'feminine' and Revolver 'masculine' / GN'R was the same only masculine and feminine Guns 'masculin' N' Roses 'feminine'.

Both either mean guys for girls or girls for guys? IDK. Something I heard Slash say once in interview once about VR and GN'R.

Edited by Snake-Pit

4 hours ago, Billsfan said:

It's pretty clear he band wanted izzy to make guest appearances. Based on izzys lyrics, videos he posted via Twitter, and Axl having gm a chuckle with the fans signs, izzy clearly wants to be there full time. And it makes sense, with izzy being a founding member hell HES technically been in GNR before slash and duff, it's clear he wasn't interested in just making guest appearances. If he was, he would have been there. 

Axl sees this as a continuation of GNR. Izzy sees the band as selfish since they won't deal him in. It was suspected but FP money seems to confirm it

I haven't seen anything that Indicates that Izzy wants back In full time. Feel free to post the Information that made you come to that conclusion. Maybe I over looked something.

3 hours ago, RONIN said:

Man...that's a sobering reality. You're right, it does seem like it's still Axl's band. Maybe Slash really needed the money after his divorce -- it's hard to believe after 20+ yrs of a successful solo career, that he'd sign on to be Axl's hired lackey. 

It can't be that though -- Axl and his cover band were struggling to sell out bowling alleys and clubs in 2013. He had run the brand/band into the ground and had entered his fat Elvis stage. Slash on the other hand is as big now as he ever was.

From the outside looking in, it seems like Axl needed Slash a lot more than the other way around.

He wanted more than anything for Slash to become a has-been with no prospects a la Steven Adler and to come crawling back to him, hat in hand. For a short time in the late 90's/early 2000's it seemed like Slash would not be able to get out from under the shadow of GnR but velvet revolver changed all of that. 

Coming into this reunion, it would seem Slash would be negotiating from a position of strength.

There Is no doubt that Axl needed Slash. They certainly wouldn't be playing stadiums right now without him.

16 minutes ago, Magnus Cavalerra said:

Why VR pick Dave over him? If they can't bring Izzy aboard why not bring the next best rhythm guitarist after Izzy?

VR was an ambitious project. They wanted to be relevant and more "modern" sounding than GnR and Slash's Snakepit albums. This is why they picked Scott Weiland over Sebastian Bach (and Izzy, who was against taking a singer and wanted to do the singing himself).

Edited by Blackstar

1 minute ago, ZoSoRose said:

I agree, it goes both ways though.

I was a big supporter of the 2009-2014 lineup. NuGNR was always going to be an uphill battle, but that era started as strong as it could, considering the circumstances. They toured decently filled arenas throughout the world in 2009 and 2010. They weren't all packed, but they did a ton of shows. 2011 saw them headline Rock in Rio and headline another big South American tour. They also did a large, drama free tour of the USA. Attendance wasn't amazing, but they were big arenas and it seemed to be a solid run.

Then they just kept going. The Up Close and Personal Tour was awesome, but since it was so close to the arena tour, they didn't even sell out a lot of small theaters. They repeated a ton of markets all over the world and attendance naturally got less and less. They played small and off the wall venues in 2013 around the USA and did 2 Vegas Residencies in 2 years. South America in 2014 even had much smaller venues than those just 3 years ago but why not? It was their third SA run in only 4 years.

I'm not saying activity is bad, but they toured SO much during those 5 years. It oversaturated the market, especially considering Axl was the only remaining original guy.

Then you have Slash. Since 2010, his solo career took off running. We got 3 albums in a what? 5 year span? Not to mention tons of touring all over the world. For a solo guitar player, that was a great run but even then, the money and size would never compare to being in an arena/stadium headlining band like GnR. The Conspirators were never going to headline even amphitheaters in the United States. I'm not saying that like it's a bad thing, it's just how things are. They were a theater act, and playing 2000-5000 seat venues is nothing to scoff at, but it isn't comparable to GNR. 

So, you have Axl with a brand that is continting to diminish and Slash with a stagnant, yet comparable or smaller brand than NuGNR. Sure, all parties could have continued the paths they were on and been fine, but they needed each other to achieve what they are now. It's a night and day.

You are correct, It goes both ways. Your post was very well put.

8 hours ago, jmapelian said:

so you take the Spaghetti Incident and Live Era seriously?

Well they rather have to be as they were as serious as the band intended. They are both stinkers (for rather different reasons) but you cannot pick or choose around an artist's discography. The old band ended in a shoddy covers album with a bunch of spaghetti on the cover; It is a simple question of fact, no matter how hard we want to erase (that fact).