Gilby Clarke interview - 'I don't know if you can call this a reunion'

9 hours ago, EvanG said:

Well, I don't know about his financial situation to make that conclusion, unless you're his accountant I'm not sure how you know, but perhaps you're right. But he seems to tour a lot in the US, South America and Europe, and even though an artist of his caliber won't get rich that way, I'm sure there are less lucrative jobs.

hasn't put out one album in 9 years?  Never heard of one of them but Pawnshop Guitars.  Not much output to drive income the last 15 years..........probably didn't have to much material tour on? And his average set list is 7 covers in a 12 song set, brilliant, playing bars in Europe., awesome

Edited by jmapelian

Well it, what Gilby does, is certainly better than working for a living!

Gilby made money from the Illusion tour and no doubt still receives a few mechanical royalties from The Spaghetti Incident, Greatest Hits and Live Era to this day. No doubt he is a working musician, i.e. not somebody who could quit tomorrow, living off of whatever surplus fortune he has acquired indefinitely, but I'm sure he is doing well enough and is very happy playing his music worldwide; he plays clubs, but I'm certain he can pack out those clubs in places like South America, continental Europe and Japan. He also has a string of production credits to his name and has backed people like Nancy Sinatra and Heart.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, jmapelian said:

hasn't put out one album in 9 years?  Never heard of one of them but Pawnshop Guitars.  Not much output to drive income the last 15 years..........probably didn't have to much material tour on? And his average set list is 7 covers in a 12 song set, brilliant, playing bars in Europe., awesome

I know you're 8 years old, we established that a few posts earlier, but that's really too young to be so jealous. Not good, dude! Not good!

Also, just like all the previous posts you fail to understand what it's about. I'm not going to play this game with you again because you're a waste of time. Again, rock on, dude!

4 hours ago, DieselDaisy said:

Well it, what Gilby does, is certainly better than working for a living!

Gilby made money from the Illusion tour and no doubt still receives a few mechanical royalties from The Spaghetti Incident, Greatest Hits and Live Era to this day. No doubt he is a working musician, i.e. not somebody who could quit tomorrow, living off of whatever surplus fortune he has acquired indefinitely, but I'm sure he is doing well enough and is very happy playing his music worldwide; he plays clubs, but I'm certain he can pack out those clubs in places like South America, continental Europe and Japan. He also has a string of production credits to his name and has backed people like Nancy Sinatra and Heart.

Yes, my point exactly. Too bad there are 8 year olds here who can't understand this logic.

Edited by EvanG
  • Like 3

3 hours ago, EvanG said:

I know you're 8 years old, we established that a few posts earlier, but that's really too young to be so jealous. Not good, dude! Not good!

Also, just like all the previous posts you fail to understand what it's about. I'm not going to play this game with you again because you're a waste of time. Again, rock on, dude!

Yes, my point exactly. Too bad there are 8 year olds here who can't understand this logic.

Jealous? Of Gilby Clarke? Maybe because he has a wife that supports him but career wise, not in this lifetime.  I wouldn't want to be the guy fired from my dream job, by having my company stop paying me all of a sudden without the courtesy of a call.

He maybe not be a millionaire, but he is at least content in life and is doing what he wants which most of us can't do.

He loves to ride bikes and modifies them too, he loves to play music. How many of us can do this?

What @EvanG said is absolutely correct. 

He had a big history with GNR and he is thankful for it, so if he wants to play with his old buddies then its nothing wrong. Matt was there when he joined the band, even till today Matt is more considered GNR than Frank, so Gilby is not saying anything wrong. 

• Like 4

17 minutes ago, jmapelian said:

Jealous? Of Gilby Clarke? Maybe because he has a wife that supports him but career wise, not in this lifetime.  I wouldn't want to be the guy fired from my dream job, by having my company stop paying me all of a sudden without the courtesy of a call.

It's ok, little buddy. You can stop being so mad now at mean old Gilby. We know you're going to be way more successful than him. I can't wait to hear your song on the radio, now run along.... go practice your guitar.

45 minutes ago, EvanG said:

It's ok, little buddy. You can stop being so mad now at mean old Gilby. We know you're going to be way more successful than him. I can't wait to hear your song on the radio, now run along.... go practice your guitar.

51 minutes ago, EvanG said:

if you say so internet tough guy

1 hour ago, RONIN said:

Can't believe how some people are trashing Gilby. He was easily the best replacement member in the band and more importantly had the approval of Duff and Slash. Gilby is also friends with Izzy. As far as I'm concerned, Sorum and Gilby are the only legit, band approved replacements.

i love you!!!:P My sentiments exactly:heart:

• Like 2

2 hours ago, RONIN said:

Can't believe how some people are trashing Gilby. He was easily the best replacement member in the band and more importantly had the approval of Duff and Slash. Gilby is also friends with Izzy. As far as I'm concerned, Sorum and Gilby are the only legit, band approved replacements.

Those people are called Axl-nutswingers around here.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, RONIN said:

This.  They had the look, the style, the attitude and most important they could actually play the songs properly.  Frank/Brain...really?  Fortus...at least the guys have reigned in his antics to a degree.  He's actually "OK".

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Philipm787 said:

Those people are called Axl-nutswingers around here.

Seems to me that they worship Richard Fortus now - just an observation! It is strange because I never saw these hardcore Fortus fans during the Nugnr period?

• Like 4

4 hours ago, RONIN said:

This!

Gilby was thrown into this, had to learn 30+ songs in a week. Did this flawlessy, and came out on that stage and killed it. For 2 years.

He played on spaghetti too.

I met him in 93. Cool guy. I met, and partied with the whole crew who did those making of videos. Had a blast! 

Oh, I also met Ashba seconds before he did his tattos on his fingers (demented, this was in Norway), but my Gilby signature is more precious!

• Like 3

1 hour ago, DieselDaisy said:

Seems to me that they worship Richard Fortus now - just an observation! It is strange because I never saw these hardcore Fortus fans during the Nugnr period?

My objection to Gilby spouting off is he's the 1st replacement.  He's no more of an original member than Fortus is, and he didn't even contribute to one original GnR song, even if it is off of CD.  To hear hm insinuate it would be more of a legitimate reunion if he was in it, rather than Fortus, is laughable to me.  

But as for his place in GnR history, I think he was the best fit of all the replacements :), and he did a great job filling in on the UYI and learning all the material. 

But other than that, he hasn't done anything notable in the last 22 years other than fill in again for Izzy during the HoF induction.

• Like 1

Not sure what counts as "something notable". If it's about success, we can argue whether Axl did something notable before this year's reunion (and AC/DC) as well. Maybe the only "notable thing" was VR. Gilby has released music, toured, produced other artists (LA Guns included)... How much more successful was Duff McKagan's Loaded than Gilby? Here in Argentina, I saw both bands (and also Adler's Appetite) play for the same amount of people. I think the only one who was "successful" (still extremely far from GNR standars, though) on his own was Slash, so I don't know what else could be expected from Gilby.

Everyone I know who's met Gilby, told me he's an awesome dude. That and the fact he learned GNR's entire catalog in a few days (to the point that they played Locomotive AND Breakdown in one of his very first gigs) make me like and respect the guy a lot.

Anyways, Steven for president! :D

• Like 2

3 hours ago, BorderlineCrazy said:

Not sure what counts as "something notable". If it's about success, we can argue whether Axl did something notable before this year's reunion (and AC/DC) as well. Maybe the only "notable thing" was VR. Gilby has released music, toured, produced other artists (LA Guns included)... How much more successful was Duff McKagan's Loaded than Gilby? Here in Argentina, I saw both bands (and also Adler's Appetite) play for the same amount of people. I think the only one who was "successful" (still extremely far from GNR standars, though) on his own was Slash, so I don't know what else could be expected from Gilby.

Everyone I know who's met Gilby, told me he's an awesome dude. That and the fact he learned GNR's entire catalog in a few days (to the point that they played Locomotive AND Breakdown in one of his very first gigs) make me like and respect the guy a lot.

Anyways, Steven for president! :D

Slash was a club act during the second Snakepit era. I saw Slash in this tiny Sheffield club which must not have held 500 people. Velvet Revolver essentially plucked him from clubs and stuck him straight back into arenas again! Since then, since the instigation of the solo/Conspirators thing, he has been a sort of theatre/larger club act, the middling sort of venues which hold around 3 -6,000.

Subjectivity aside, there is also not much difference between Izzy and Gilby's career either beyond the fact that Gilby tours constantly. They were both initially signed with majors (Geffen and Virgin respectively). Their two respective debuts both sold quite well (Ju Ju Hounds and Pawnshop Guitars). They both play(ed) clubs. Subsequent albums have not fared as well as their debut, as they both become cult acts, of mild interest to Guns N' Roses fans (Izzy was dropped from Geffen after his sophomore, following the corporate reshuffle of the late '90s).

7 hours ago, jmapelian said:

But other than that, he hasn't done anything notable in the last 22 years other than fill in again for Izzy during the HoF induction.

If you like an album  of his, or enjoy a show of his, that is 'notable'. It is all relative.

9 hours ago, DieselDaisy said:

It's honestly the most bizarre thing. Where are these Fortus fans coming from? Was there a mass exodus from a Britney Spears fan forum?

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, RONIN said:

It's honestly the most bizarre thing. Where are these Fortus fans coming from? Was there a mass exodus from a Britney Spears fan forum?

Give it a rest with the Britney Spears stuff it gets old pretty quick when you post it in multiple threads.

7 minutes ago, alfierose said:

Give it a rest with the Britney Spears stuff it gets old pretty quick when you post it in multiple threads.

Didn't realize it was a touchy subject. I only referenced her in one other topic since it was Fortus' highest profile gig prior to GnR. But sure -- I won't mention his connection to her again. Sorry :(

12 hours ago, jmapelian said:

My objection to Gilby spouting off is he's the 1st replacement.  He's no more of an original member than Fortus is, and he didn't even contribute to one original GnR song, even if it is off of CD.  To hear hm insinuate it would be more of a legitimate reunion if he was in it, rather than Fortus, is laughable to me.  

He never insinuated it that way. Look up the word reunion, because clearly you don't know the meaning of something again. It would indeed be more of a reunion with old members on board like Izzy and Sorum... and that includes him too seeing as he was part of the band, whether you like him or not has nothing to do with it. He said nothing that isn't true, again... look up the definition of the word reunion. 

A few posts earlier you said you never heard his solo albums except for the first one, well he released a lot more since then, so how can you say he hasn't done anything notable then? Who are you to say that? You are so arrogant.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, DieselDaisy said:

Slash was a club act during the second Snakepit era. I saw Slash in this tiny Sheffield club which must not have held 500 people. Velvet Revolver essentially plucked him from clubs and stuck him straight back into arenas again! Since then, since the instigation of the solo/Conspirators thing, he has been a sort of theatre/larger club act, the middling sort of venues which hold around 3 -6,000.

I was going to see Slash (circa Aint Life Grand) at what would be described in the US as a dive bar in my local area (in Australia) and it was cancelled due to lack of interest.

Perhaps not that show, but that tour here was canned because nobody was buying tickets...and this was a tiny venue (and I was amazed that SLASH was going to be playing there)

Only a couple of years after the UYI heights really.

No doubt the guy was on the rocks during that period, his book certainly alludes to that as well (shit management).

Edited by DR DOOM