Gilby Clarke interview - 'I don't know if you can call this a reunion'

42 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

I'm honestly flummoxed about the Gilby hate here. It is one of the things I just don't understand (about many of you here). Gilby is the guy playing those massive shows during their commercial peak - it was Gilby at the Paris PPV and in the November Rain video! He is bona fide old era. He was there before Axl took everything over and destroyed the band. His first solo album is a brilliant little album, head and shoulders above Snakepit and Axl's overdubbed mess.

And he is hardly an offensive character - in fact, he is one of the more likeable band members. He is simply this Stonesy chap.

Maybe it is that I personally have a cut off point, a perceived seismic fault line, in GN'R history whereby everything that came before c.1994 was gold, and everything after 1994 after absolute wank. There is simply no way I could ever rate somebody like Fortus above somebody from the 1985-93 era. I just basically see everything commencing 1999ish fake cack.

I don't care one way or another about Gilby and have been mostly staying out of the conversation. I get that I am probably not giving him the him the respect that some of you think he deserves, but to me, he is a non-entity. He does just doesn't matter in the grand scheme of things. I suppose I am glad he filled in when Izzy left but as far as I am concerned he is not the only guy who could have done it. That he was there during Gun's height doesn't really mean anything to me. He rode he wave, he didn't create it. To me he has the same importance as Teddy Zigzag. Hope he does well in whatever endeavors he has, appreciate what he gave to Guns, but not upset he is gone and don't feel the need to bring him back.

I get the feeling, though I could be wrong, that most of the "haters" probably feel the same as me. But unlike me, who just plain doesn't care, wants to argue with the people who put Gilby's importance in the band higher level than they themselves rate him. It doesn't help that the arguments always draw in other band members in comparison which will get their defenders and detractors involved. I mean, look at your comment. You brought in your complete disdain and derision for NuGNR which get will get others who like them or at least don't feel the same level of dislike that you on the defensive. Possibly even the hardcore Appetitie line up fans if they read more into your comment than you said and think you are rating Illusions Tour Era higher than Appetite. Passionate fans are passionate. And we on mygnr are an argumentative bunch. As you should know since you are one of the most argumentative.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DieselDaisy said:

I'm honestly flummoxed about the Gilby hate here. It is one of the things I just don't understand (about many of you here). Gilby is the guy playing those massive shows during their commercial peak - it was Gilby at the Paris PPV and in the November Rain video! He is bona fide old era. He was there before Axl took everything over and destroyed the band. His first solo album is a brilliant little album, head and shoulders above Snakepit and Axl's overdubbed mess.

And he is hardly an offensive character - in fact, he is one of the more likeable band members. He is simply this Stonesy chap.

Maybe it is that I personally have a cut off point, a perceived seismic fault line, in GN'R history whereby everything that came before c.1994 was gold, and everything after 1994 after absolute wank. There is simply no way I could ever rate somebody like Fortus above somebody from the 1985-93 era. I just basically see everything commencing 1999ish fake cack.

I'd take the 2nd Snakepit record over Pawnshop any day. IMO, that's the best post GNR record by any of those guys (Serial Killer, Speed Parade, Mean Bone, Been There Lately, Life's Sweet Drug, The Truth... even the bonus tracks! What a killer record that is!!) but I guess you're more into the Stones kinda stuff while I enjoy Slash's hard rock more. 

Other than that, I agree. Gilby is awesome, he was there when the band were at their peak of popularity and played his role to perfection. Also, he had Slash, Duff AND AXL on his solo record, that's incredible and I don't think anyone else will achieve something like that :P

But let's stop talking about Gilby, IT'S FORTUS TIME NOW! :lol: :lol: :lol:

10 minutes ago, BorderlineCrazy said:

I'd take the 2nd Snakepit record over Pawnshop any day. IMO, that's the best post GNR record by any of those guys (Serial Killer, Speed Parade, Mean Bone, Been There Lately, Life's Sweet Drug, The Truth... even the bonus tracks! What a killer record that is!!) but I guess you're more into the Stones kinda stuff while I enjoy Slash's hard rock more.

Bit ''back to the 1980s'' though, that second Snakepit, wasn't it?

11 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

Bit ''back to the 1980s'' though, that second Snakepit, wasn't it?

Don't know, there were too many things in the 80's, depends on what you compare it with, I guess. I find it more aggresive than Appetite but it lacks all the ingredients those other four guys would bring to the table, which isn't a minor thing. Still, it blows my mind from start to finish.

Back to that Gilby dude, look at the crowd reaction here when Axl introduces him. Seems to me that there's actually a lot of people who care about/like Gilby. I'm not dying to see him guest in the future but I think it'd be nice if it actually happens and I'm sure a lot of people in the crowd would enjoy it. 

8 hours ago, jmapelian said:

Slash has played stadiums at festivals ovrseas and outdoor ampitheather's in the states and headlined the Jersey festval last year, so not just small 5000 person clubs

I did mention FESTIVALS.

But none of them did full stadium tours like how they are doing right now. 

10 hours ago, jmapelian said:

yeah, I know; sometimes I think Slash players smaller venues to his detriment, where he could fill a much larger space....ie, he could probably sell out MSG as a headliner; maybe not every arena, but LA, CHI, PHI, MA he could probably sell out arenas.  Though I love his club shows

That might be a stretch.. He does sell out the House Of Blues and Hampton Ballroom but those are only like 3,000 max and it takes them pretty close to the show before they do sell out. But he does great.

9 hours ago, sanity_lost said:

I don't care one way or another about Gilby and have been mostly staying out of the conversation. I get that I am probably not giving him the him the respect that some of you think he deserves, but to me, he is a non-entity. He does just doesn't matter in the grand scheme of things. I suppose I am glad he filled in when Izzy left but as far as I am concerned he is not the only guy who could have done it. That he was there during Gun's height doesn't really mean anything to me. He rode he wave, he didn't create it. To me he has the same importance as Teddy Zigzag. Hope he does well in whatever endeavors he has, appreciate what he gave to Guns, but not upset he is gone and don't feel the need to bring him back.

I don't think anyone here, even people sticking up for Gilby, really care that much. Everybody knows what his place in this band was and no one is out there screaming ''WHERE'S GILBY?''. Of course there are people (like me) who respect him and wouldn't mind seeing him perhaps doing a guest spot some day but who could live without it just as easily, and then there are people who like his solo work, but that is as far as it goes. Most users merely react to the strange animosity some weird users here have against Gilby and who make statements that go beyond subjectivity. And there isn't more to it, there isn't a fan campaign out there to get Gilby back in the band because no one cares that much anyway. 

Edited by EvanG

13 hours ago, DieselDaisy said:

I guess it comes down to when it wasn't a band anymore for me. Gilby kinda arrived just as it was becoming a bloated circus for me. It was no longer 5 brothers against the world - It was 3 family feuders with a couple of hired hands, a horn section, a pianist and Teddy Zigzag... Meh, Gilby doesn't represent old Guns for me. The Illusion albums were the death knell.

On 9/2/2016 at 4:35 AM, DieselDaisy said:

Fartus, Shitman, Rashba and Hugebias. The new Crosby, Stills and Nash and Young