What happened with this song? SIDHY

The song is quite good, and the band plays great. Fantastic guitar tone from Slash, and strong vocals from Axl even if he's kinda oversinging. It's inclusion as the opening track from TSI hailed as  punk cover album was obviously Axl taking the piss but it was a stupid choice from a tracklisting standpoint. Use it as a contrasting closing track (and forget that Manson bullshit) and open with Raw Power or Black Leather.

But I sure don't wanna hear it live. It probably would be boring as a  full song.

Edited by EvH
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, Slash787 said:

True

I burnt my friend a Vegas boot yesterday, she's only a casual fan hasnt been into them for years. Today she sent me a message saying they sound great but I notice they are playing Civil War, Nightrain, Paradise City alot faster then the tokyo 92 dvds!

Edited by Gibbo

Just now, Gibbo said:

I burnt my friend a boot yesterday, she's only a casual fan hasnt been into them for years. Today she sent me a message saying they sound great but I notice they are playing Civil War, Nightrain, Paradise City faster then the tokyo 92 dvds!

Way faster, really they should slow down. 

I tend to like this song but however I believe that this being the first track, only video and second single of TSI made many fans not give the album a chance and/or completely discard the album since it really doesn't sound anything like a GN'R song.

4 hours ago, youngswedishvinyl said:

I tend to like this song but however I believe that this being the first track, only video and second single of TSI made many fans not give the album a chance and/or completely discard the album since it really doesn't sound anything like a GN'R song.

I have to agree..as good as Axl's vocals are, it's hard to take this song (and perhaps by extension, the whole album) seriously..GnR doing a 1950's doo wop song? Ya, nope.

• 5 weeks later...

To me, Since I don't have you is a continuation of the humourous streak that the band showed in I used to love her - I adore that song, simultaneously laugh out loud funny and totally offensive. :heart: Humour is also evident in Axl's raised eyebrow expression at the end of the Estranged video, when he's beside the dolphin. Almost like a tacit acknowledgement that the video, especially the dolphin bits, are fairly preposterous. The Since I don't have you video is just hilarious and shows yet another side of a multi-dimensional band.

What does anyone else think?

For me, SIDHY is another chapter in the whole "trilogy" that feels more like a saga at this point. Don't Cry, NR, Estranged, SIDHY, and even throw TIL in as the closer. TIL might be a bit of a stretch, at least the video for it anyways, but the song DOES fit imo.  But the other 4 always flowed together well, especially the videos  imo. SIDHY feels like the "oh well, fuck it, time to move on" moment of the "saga". Maybe thats why Axl wanted to do it in the first place? Because it expressed how he felt better than anything he felt he could write.

As for the song itself, like others have said, I do love the song. I always have, since the first time I heard it. I have some friends that don't really like gnr all that much (they don't dislike them, just casuals) who really like that song as well. I think it gets to much Shit from Us hardcores, it really is a fantastic cover. 

Having said all of that, I have NO desire to see it added to the set list, Even to replace The Seeker. I would rather see Patience and Don't Cry become perminate staples before SIDHY.

Edited by Iron MikeyJ
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Lies They Tell said:

The video? :blink: You mean the fact that there is no official video for it?

It could be just a fan video, but I think one MIGHT exist. I seem to remember one about a guy and girl on a train.

I know official videos were made and are available (if you know where to look) for Sorry and Better. I'm not 100% on TIL though.

Edited by Iron MikeyJ

20 minutes ago, Iron MikeyJ said:

It could be just a fan video, but I think one MIGHT exist. I seem to remember one about a guy and girl on a train.

I know official videos were made and are available (if you know where to look) for Sorry and Better. I'm not 100% on TIL though.

I'm pretty sure that the Better video is the only official music video out there. The other videos are something else.

On August 24, 2016 at 7:30 AM, Oldest Goat said:

It's the 2nd best song on TSI, after Ain't It Fun.

Wouldn't mind hearing it live but definitely not a priority compared to all the other deepcuts I want

I agree with everything you said.

It would make sense to swap it or AIF with the seeker but I'd rather hear breakdown, dead horse, the garden, etc.

Haven't seen this in years, had a horrible moment when I thought Matt was paddling in naked from the waist down at 2:37.

Gary Oldman is amazing, there is a piece in Slash's book or an interview were he says he couldn't stop laughing in the boat scene. 

Not a fan of the song, video is so cheesy it almost redeems itself! Lol, at Dizzy with the fishing net. 

They played the recording through the loud speakers prior to the St Patrick's Day show in Boston 1993.  Not sure if any differences in final mix as they just recorded it in the days immediately prior to the show and it wasn't released until 7 months later.  Not the best quality but it's on YouTube 

• 4 weeks later...

This happens to be Mrs. Money's favorite GN'R song.  I don't mind it but wish it didn't have the Casio SK-5 sampling keyboard chorus sounds at the lead-in to the first verse or the synth effects at the end.  Otherwise, I think it adds a nice variation to the album.  If you're listening to TSI in order though, I think it would sound better somewhere in the middle of the album. 

I think it's very Axl. He obviously digs the lyrics and subject matter. I really like The Spaghetti Incident, it's got a really laid back and mischievous, fun vibe to it which I find really cool.

It's a shame they disintegrated a couple of years after its release...

Edited by AlexC