Axl's Letter To The RRHOF

19 hours ago, RONIN said:

This is rich coming from Axl considering his legendary work ethic. Going to the studio sometimes once a year or less during the Chinese Democracy era and missing innumerable rehearsals, sound checks, etc. "Working hard" in his mind means tinkering on pro tools and adding endless layers upon layers of synth, guitars, effects,etc. Slash has put out how many albums since 1995? How can anyone say that he doesn't have a great work ethic? The guy works tirelessly unlike the red head who wouldn't even allow them to play festivals in '95 when the band was falling apart despite Slash begging him to do it. Duff quit out of boredom since Axl was never showing up to the rehearsals. That whole Slash bit from his interview was pretty condescending.

What I "think" he means is that Slash probably didn't want to "push" himself by playing whatever stupid trendy music Axl was into at the moment (grunge/techno industrial and/or whatever other shit was popular in the mid 90's) and Slash didn't care at all about pro-tools and digitally raping the music they were trying to create. Axl on the other hand was much more interested in turning their raw demos into a soulless travesty on his computer. Therefore, Slash is lazy in Axl's mind. Makes perfect sense really.

You can't deny Axl's lack of output over the years compared to Slash, but I don't think anyone would argue that Axl was trying to make CD the best he possibly could. Everyone expected way more from Axl, the misunderstood evil genius. With due respect to Slash, he was a guitar player, nobody ever holds a guitarist's solo stuff in as high a regard as their band that made them famous. With Axl, he had the weight of the world on his shoulders, and the blessing/curse of the GNR name. Basically, nobody really cared if Slash put out a mediocre album, he's still a kickass guitarist. With Axl, it's deliver the goods or be ridiculed forever. I really dig a lot of Slash's stuff, but there is a lot of his material that seems very uninspired, kinda going through the motions. 

I don't have a problem with Axl attending. At the time, he was still trying to make "Guns N'Roses" a thing with the new lineup and he had his personal issues with the old. Any reconciliation between Axl and Slash had to happen naturally, not because the Rock N'Roll Hall of Fame put a date on it.