Rate: DON'T CRY

25 yrs after UYI, do you think the song is overlooked by casual fans and rock journalists who favor Patience, SCOM and November Rain as GnR's signature ballads? It took forever for the "nu" band to play this song until Bumblefoot slowly worked it into their sets. Axl had issues playing it back then according to Bumble. Even on the NITL tour, the song is played less than Patience even though it is clearly a top 5 of GnR's biggest hits -- how is this song not played every single show?? Why is Patience played more than Don't Cry?:blink:

Don't Cry is the first GnR song that the band wrote together. It's an Izzy Stradlin' masterpiece. This song was meant to be on AFD. Say what you will about November Rain (plenty of people dislike it here), but Don't Cry would absolutely have been a worthy addition to AFD imho. They would have lost nothing by dumping Anything Goes for Don't Cry. It's the most soulful song GnR has ever done imho especially the acoustic versions they did in the 80's.

Look at the amazing performance here -- check out Slash's bends from the 3 minute mark to 3:36. It's fire. :drool:

Edited by RONIN

It's not underrated at all. It may have been played more times in the NITL tour than Patience.

Axl's issue with this song was probably that it was connected with the late Shannon Hoon, one of Axl's best friends.

Iirc, Slash has never played it with VR or his other projects (judging from a quote of his, he didn't like it much).

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Blackstar said:

It's not underrated at all. It may have been played more times in the NITL tour than Patience.

Axl's issue with this song was probably that it was connected with the late Shannon Hoon, one of Axl's best friends.

Iirc, Slash has never played it with VR or his other projects (judging from a quote of his, he didn't like it much).

Slash loves his cock rock. I think he has warmed up to ballads publicly in the last 10 years or so.

16 minutes ago, thunderram said:

It's not quite accurate to refer to it as an IZZY masterpiece. A bit of homerism is showing here, me thinks ;)

Obviously IZZY had a lot to do with it, but let's not forget that AXL is also credited as a writer and I believe wrote a good portion of the lyrics, if not most. He also wrote all of the ALT lyrics. Lastly, while not given credit as a writer, SLASH's solo on that track is one of the highlights for many fans.

Having said that, I do agree with your point that it is underrated and not typically as highly regarded among casual fans as NR, PC, SCOM and the like. It is among their better songs, IMO. One of my personal favorites.

Fair enough, though I did mention that it's the first song the entire band worked on together. With that said, isn't DC generally considered an "Izzy" song by most including Axl iirc (correct me if I'm off base here)?

I think this song has just slipped under the radar a bit for whatever reason. I can't even say that it hasn't endured because it has nearly 300 million views on Youtube,  100 million more views than Patience -- clearly the song is a fan favorite. Mainstream recognition has slipped a bit perhaps.

Edited by RONIN
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, Reclamation Project said:

And secondly because it transitions into Perfect Crime (one of my favorite songs) and not fucking My World. 

While I love the entire album, Don't Cry and Perfect Crime are my 2 favorite songs on UYI1.

1 hour ago, BorderlineCrazy said:

I would mention that the demo they did with Steven is way better than the album version but I don't wanna be accused of saying that kind of things too often :lol: 

The demo version is flat out one of my favorites, period. Mostly due to how vulnerable AXL's voice sounds on it. I love how he sings it clean, but then ramps up after the solo and just belts it with so much emotion. I don't think his voice has ever sounded better than on this song and both You're Crazy and One in a Million from LIES. That said, I do really like the versions on both UYI albums too.

2 minutes ago, RONIN said:

Fair enough, though I did mention that it's the first song the entire band worked on together. With that said, it seems that DC is generally considered an "Izzy" song by most including Axl iirc (correct me if I'm off base here).

I think this song has just slipped under the radar a bit for whatever reason. I can't even say that it hasn't endured because it has 300 million + views on Youtube, more than 100 million views than Patience -- clearly the song is a fan favorite. Mainstream recognition has slipped a bit perhaps.

I've seen the band twice on this current tour -- in VEGAS and in SF -- and they didn't play it on either occasion. I don't want to hijack this thread into another setlist rant, but I do firmly believe the song deserves to be played at every single show just like SCOM, WTTJ, and PC.

I don't think it's underrated, it's adored by casual fans and hardcore fans alike. It's definitely in my top 5 GNR songs and is probably the song that made me want to get into the band's other songs besides the hits. I prefer the alt. lyrics (brilliant work by Axl) but the OG is still special. It has a really classic feel to it (probably the Izzy influence at play).

9 hours ago, RONIN said:

This song was meant to be on AFD. Say what you will about November Rain (plenty of people dislike it here), but Don't Cry would absolutely have been a worthy addition to AFD imho. They would have lost nothing by dumping Anything Goes for Don't Cry. It's the most soulful song GnR has ever done imho especially the acoustic versions they did in the 80's.

Absolutely agreed. NR was way too much of a stylistic change to have worked on AFD, but Don't Cry would have been amazing on it and maybe, just maybe, it would have gotten the media of their backs a little bit. They would have been labeled "problematic" instead of "trashy", and everyone loves them problematic folk. :lol:

17 hours ago, RONIN said:

Fair enough, though I did mention that it's the first song the entire band worked on together. With that said, isn't DC generally considered an "Izzy" song by most including Axl iirc (correct me if I'm off base here)?

I think this song has just slipped under the radar a bit for whatever reason. I can't even say that it hasn't endured because it has nearly 300 million views on Youtube,  100 million more views than Patience -- clearly the song is a fan favorite. Mainstream recognition has slipped a bit perhaps.

Izzy and Axl wrote it together. If I remember right it was a Hollywood Rose song. Or at least after Hollywood Rose, but before GNR. Though I am sure they all put their touches on it when they became the GNR we all know and love and  incorporated the song fully into their very abbreviated catalog.

Don't Cry was hugely popular when released but didn't really stand the test of time like NR did. Like I never hear DC on the radio but hear NR all the time...damn shame cause I freakin LOVE DC. To me it's one of those songs that I can listen to 10 times in a row and still enjoy it just as much! 

Great song, but it's absolutely not forgotten/underrated, and certainly way more perceived as one of GNRs signature songs than Patience.

I agree with all the posters how described the Alt. lyrics as kinda forcet and not fitting the song.