Rate: DON'T CRY

I've always preferred Patience over Don't Cry.  Maybe due to the fact that Don't Cry was played every 30 minutes on MTV for a solid 6 months back when it came out...idk...but my personal preference between the two songs has always been Patience....and I think it has withstood the test of time over Don't Cry as well.

Patience is a unique song that separates itself from those 80's era power ballads...the same way SCOM does....while Don't Cry really doesn't...

That being said, Don't Cry is an exceptional song and I still prefer hearing it over 95% of the new rock out there today.

Edited by Kasanova King

Don't cry is a masterpiece, and I agree it AND Patience should be played every show. I really like This I Love as well, But if I had to choose dropping one of the ballads, I would put that on the alt. List over Don't Cry. Honestly I think they should play all of them, just make the set a little longer. 

As for where Don't Cry belongs with other gnr ballads? Top 5 for sure, where you put it is all subjective, but it's top 5 for sure. People forget that it is the song that got guns singed to a Geffen back in the day, so it's a "special" song for that reason amoungst others. 

I personally prefer the simple beauty to the original over the alt version, but I like both. I get why people like the "darker" version better, but for me the original is one of the very few genuinely nice moments in guns history. Even SCOM has an undercurrent of trouble "lighting and rain, etc" lyrics. Patience and Don't Cry are the "purest" love song ballads that guns ever did, with SCOM being the third. NR, Estranged, This I Love are about love lost, so a different animal all together. So I enjoy the "rarity" of the those 3 songs in guns catalogue. Most bands, especially back then had 3 love songs per album.

• Like 2

10/10

One of their masterpieces.  This and November Rain were songs I knew as a kid.  Growing up, those two songs would come to my mind every now and then.  Every time that happened I'd appreciate the songs more and more, until eventually getting heavy into the band a couple years ago. 

Edited by Caught_in_a_Coma

On Friday, August 26, 2016 at 2:09 AM, Oldest Goat said:

I don't think it's underrated, just overlooked compared to things like NR and SCOM.

But I was listening to Don't Cry alt the other day, and right now, realising I actually like it better than OG Don't Cry. The lyrics and mood are better(edit; listening to OG now and better isn't the word, maybe alt is just more fresh for me right now. edit alt; I actually I do like it better), yet it's the alt and overlooked completely.

Have they ever played Don't Cry alt live and did Izzy also right that one?

The at is my fave. I may be wrong but I think Axl is the answer to your question.