Could Guns do this? (4 hour concert)

66 year old (67 next month) Bruce Springsteen played for nearly 4 hours.  I saw him once a few years ago and the guy has energy...he regularly plays for 3 hours plus and will change sets by easy 12+ songs from nigh to night.  No wardrobe changes, no (maybe the sax) solo's, just non stop for hours.  Guns could get a lot more songs in if they played 4 hours.  I'm not ripping on Guns, just gives us hope that 54 yr old Axl may have a lot more in the tank left than we (I) thought.   

https://www.yahoo.com/news/springsteen-performs-nearly-4-hours-metlife-stadium-103946305.html

• Like 1

I've seen the Boss twice. Absolutely untouchable live. Even die hards who've seen him 100 times really have no idea what he's gonna play on a given night. He gives 110% every show.

Nice to see GnR giving that kind of effort every show on this tour. Now, about that setlist variability...

Oh, and to answer the OP question- they could definitely play 4 hours. It would have to be a certain type of crowd though. A lot of casuals can't even handle these shows at less than 3 hours. There would be pussies leaving in droves...

Neil Young is similar to Bruce, albeit around the three hour mark, although Crosby, Stills, Nash and Young did these mammoth concerts on their infamous 1974 tour and just recently, 2016 Rebel Content Tour, Shakey has topped the three hour mark by a considerable distance on a few occasions (e.g. 205 minutes, Amsterdam). Much like Bruce, you never know what you are going to get: it might be an unreleased song (Neil has many masterpieces that he has simply not bothered to release or even record, stuff like ''Sad Movies'' and ''Give Me Strengh''); it might be a brand new unreleased song which may, or may not, turn up on a future album; it will probably be a lot of stuff from his new album; it might be a deep cut not performed since 1973 - you can literally attend one show and see rock history.

It makes bootleg collecting very interesting.

• Like 2

Sure they could if everyone gets a solo. Axl and the other GNR played for 3 and a half hours and everyone got a solo.

Did Bruce actually play and sing that whole time? Can't compare him to Axl because Bruce's voice is very different from Axl's.

Besides Bruce also has been around since the 1970's so he has more material he can play.

I'd rather see GNR play. Not a fan of Bruce's style of music.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, dontdamnmeuyi2015 said:

Sure they could if everyone gets a solo. Axl and the other GNR played for 3 and a half hours and everyone got a solo.

Did Bruce actually play and sing that whole time? Can't compare him to Axl because Bruce's voice is very different from Axl's.

Besides Bruce also has been around since the 1970's so he has more material he can play.

Yes- Bruce never left the stage. He plays a very physical show too. A lot of running & dancing & sliding on his knees & shit. And he always crowd surfs during Hungry Heart (I think it's that song). But people sure as hell don't analyze every note he sings like they do Axl! :lol:

Don't get me wrong- I'm more a hard rock & metal guy. And I'd rather see Guns than anyone else- always. I went because my girlfriend worships him. But I'd go see him anytime because he's one of the best live performers of all time.

Yes they can and have in the past. The great western show was 3 hrs 40 mins. 

If only there was a good quality recording of this.

And what a setlist they had that night

Setlist

Perfect Crime

Mr. Brownstone

Right Next Door to Hell

Bad Obsession

Live and Let Die (Wings cover)

It's So Easy

Yesterdays

Dust N' Bones

Double Talkin' Jive

Civil War

Patience

(I Was Only Joking Intro)

You Could Be Mine

November Rain

My Michelle

14 Years

Nightrain

Welcome to the Jungle

Matt Sorum Drum Solo

Slash Guitar Solo

Love Theme from the Godfather

(Nino Rota cover) (Godfather Theme)

Pretty Tied Up

Rocket Queen

Don't Cry (with Shannon Hoon)

Knockin' on Heaven's Door

(Bob Dylan cover) (Only Women Bleed Intro)

You Ain't the First (with Shannon Hoon)

Used to Love Her

Move to the City

Sweet Child O' Mine

(Bad Time Intro)

You're Crazy (with Sebastian Bach)

Locomotive

Out Ta Get Me

Dead Horse

Encore 2:

Estranged

Paradise City

Edited by vloors
  • Like 2

8 hours ago, Original said:

66 year old (67 next month) Bruce Springsteen played for nearly 4 hours.  I saw him once a few years ago and the guy has energy...he regularly plays for 3 hours plus and will change sets by easy 12+ songs from nigh to night.  No wardrobe changes, no (maybe the sax) solo's, just non stop for hours.  Guns could get a lot more songs in if they played 4 hours.  I'm not ripping on Guns, just gives us hope that 54 yr old Axl may have a lot more in the tank left than we (I) thought.   

https://www.yahoo.com/news/springsteen-performs-nearly-4-hours-metlife-stadium-103946305.html

If they did, it would be a much better show than Bruce; they have the catalogue

2 hours ago, dontdamnmeuyi2015 said:

Axl and the other GNR played for 3 and a half hours and everyone got a solo.

a. yep! of course they could

b. totally agree. i am not a fan of his style at all!

Edited by AxlsFavoriteRose

1 hour ago, jmapelian said:

If they did, it would be a much better show than Bruce; they have the catalogue

How does this make the slightest bit of sense? Springsteen has eighteen - I repeat, eighteen - studio albums, a great many of them highly acclaimed by both critics and fans alike. GN'R only possess five-six (depending on whether or not you include Chinese Democracy), only one of which (Appetite) is acclaimed to any great degree!

3 hours ago, dontdamnmeuyi2015 said:

Absolute rubbish. If Bruce's career began at the exact same time as GN'R's, say 1987, the year of both Tunnel of Love and Appetite for Destruction, Bruce's discography would still eclipse GN'R's album ratio by eleven to GN'R's paltry five-six. The reason Bruce 'has more material he can play' is not because he was 'around since the 1970's', although that does give him a definite head start (of four albums precisely) but that GN'R have only put out one album 1991 - 2016 through laziness, craziness and chaos. There are bands which began in the 90s and early 00s which have larger discographies than GN'R!

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

How does this make the slightest bit of sense? Springsteen has eighteen - I repeat, eighteen - studio albums, a great many of them highly acclaimed by both critics and fans alike. GN'R only possess five-six (depending on whether or not you include Chinese Democracy), only one of which (Appetite) is acclaimed to any great degree!

Absolute rubbish. If Bruce's career began at the exact same time as GN'R's, say 1987, the year of both Tunnel of Love and Appetite for Destruction, Bruce's discography would still eclipse GN'R's album ratio by eleven to GN'R's paltry five-six. The reason Bruce 'has more material he can play' is not because he was 'around since the 1970's', although that does give him a definite head start (of four albums precisely) but that GN'R have only put out one album 1991 - 2016 through laziness, craziness and chaos. There are bands which began in the 90s and early 00s which have larger discographies than GN'R!

velvet revolver baby, lmao! 

6 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

Add two more albums then to account for Velvet Revolver - by all means do. That just makes it 18/8 in Springsteen's favour instead of 18/6

add Slash solo and SMKC,trhere you have it, and face it, everyone would want to hear the GnR treatment to those songs, .......lmao.........VR as well, it would exceed bruce actually since you'll get fresh takes on known songs by the best rock band of their time.....lol

Just now, jmapelian said:

add Slash solo and SMKC,trhere you have it, and face it, everyone would want to hear the GnR treatment to those songs, .......lmao.........VR as well, it would exceed bruce actually since you'll get fresh takes on known songs by the best rock band of their time.....lol

Well then we are really extending the goal posts. Why not include some Hookers N' Blow?

• Like 2