Could Guns do this? (4 hour concert)

In my opinion three hours is too long. Unless you're doing An evening with GnR, or whoever three hours is overkill. GnR could tidy up their set by taking a few of the jams out, taking the who cover out and that would allow them 2/3 alt. songs.

I would love to see GnR change things up like Bruce, but realistically they don't have the back catalogue to support such an idea. 3 albums worth of classic material, and Chinese And let's be frank, some of that material classic or otherwise would not go over, especially not in the place of a big hit. They can swap a song or two in and out, but I cannot see them changing their set dramatically anytime soon, or changing from town to town. My bet is that the setlist in South America and Asia will remain the same, we MIGHT get a cool little nugget like pretty tied up if we're very lucky!

Slash solo, and VR do NOT count as GnR material. Both would be in the cover territory. And I know two of the songwriters from VR are in the band and that Slash wrote his own solo material. BUT, it matters not! A cover is a cover! GnR's music is music released under the GnR name. I don't care for GnR playing VR material, and I don't care for GnR playing Slash solo. If that music has to be played, then it should be played at Slash solo shows or if VR decide to do anything ever again ;) 

We have a great set-list as it is, it just needs to cut the fat and add a few more UYI nuggets... and then of course, add some new material after this tour wraps. The fat includes solos, some of the non-recorded covers and a few GnR songs that are good / great, but not particularly great for an audience, Better, coma etc.

19 hours ago, Original said:

66 year old (67 next month) Bruce Springsteen played for nearly 4 hours.  I saw him once a few years ago and the guy has energy...he regularly plays for 3 hours plus and will change sets by easy 12+ songs from nigh to night.  No wardrobe changes, no (maybe the sax) solo's, just non stop for hours.  Guns could get a lot more songs in if they played 4 hours.  I'm not ripping on Guns, just gives us hope that 54 yr old Axl may have a lot more in the tank left than we (I) thought.   

https://www.yahoo.com/news/springsteen-performs-nearly-4-hours-metlife-stadium-103946305.html

Are they doing shorter sets on the reunion?  The average show with the CD tours was over 3 hours, and they have gone near 4 in the past.  They probably have done 4 at some point tbh, if not I know they did like 3h 45m or something.

Why are we thinking that changed?  Or was this sort of a general discussion type of thread?

If you are simply asking if they could add 30 minutes to their show, yeah, absolutely.  Axl does over 3 with wardrobe changes and they don't seem to take overly long, in other words, I have never thought to myself "What's the hold up?" at any of their shows.  He also didn't puff the show length up with speeches on the CD tours either, it was just 3 hours of rock.

As an aside, Bruce is not the measuring stick for non-stop, that title will forever be held by the R-A-M-O-N-E-S Ramones!  If you never saw them live it was a sight to behold.  they just play their catalogue straight through, I don't know how they breath!

"1-2-3 Go!"

Edited by DeadSlash

7 hours ago, Tom2112 said:

In my opinion three hours is too long. Unless you're doing An evening with GnR, or whoever three hours is overkill. GnR could tidy up their set by taking a few of the jams out, taking the who cover out and that would allow them 2/3 alt. songs.

I would love to see GnR change things up like Bruce, but realistically they don't have the back catalogue to support such an idea. 3 albums worth of classic material, and Chinese And let's be frank, some of that material classic or otherwise would not go over, especially not in the place of a big hit. They can swap a song or two in and out, but I cannot see them changing their set dramatically anytime soon, or changing from town to town. My bet is that the setlist in South America and Asia will remain the same, we MIGHT get a cool little nugget like pretty tied up if we're very lucky!

Is this really the reason though?

Certainly they don't have the discography Bruce does but they do have enough material to implement greater diversity than what they currently deliver. Currently Guns N' Roses play ten songs, eight songs regularly and two occasionally/rarely (''Don't Cry'' and ''Yesterdays'') leaving twenty songs from a thirty song double album completely un-played - I am of course referring to Use Your Illusion. Additionally there are three songs from Appetite and six from Lies that have not been played, leaving a grand total of twenty-nine unequivocally 'old-band' songs un-played, including such highlights as ''Think About You'', ''Pretty Tied Up'', ''Bad Obsession'' and ''Locomotive''.

(And that is without mentioning, setting aside various subjective arguments about legitimacy and quality, The Spaghetti Incident? [ten songs un-played], Chinese [eight], various rarities like ''Shadow of Your Love'' and ''Crash Diet'' not to mention the Velvet Revolver/solo stuff.)

PS

I'm not criticising their static setlists per se by the way. There is more than one way to skin a cat. These criticisms will only become valid when the band play subsequent legs in my opinion. Currently they have runs in the bank.

9 hours ago, DieselDaisy said:

That would be like a Crosby, Stills, Nash and Young thing.

What I mean by this is, Crosby, Stills, Nash and Young, besides playing material from CSN(Y) albums, would play material from their individual careers in this immense retrospective (pushing) four hour show. They would do songs by Buffalo Springfield (Stills and Young), The Byrds (Crosby), Manassas (Stills) not to mention Stills-Young (''Long May You Run'') and Crosby-Nash songs, and songs from their individual careers, including a great many by Neil Young; they even did intricately harmonised renditions of Crazy Horse epics (much to the chagrin of Horse purists!).

The GN'R equivalent would be this massive four hour show with Snakepit, Loaded, solo, Conspirators and Chinese Democracy songs all played, alongside the core old-GN'R songs. As with CSNY's 1974 tour, it would be the ultimate in rock n' roll excess but it would certainly put the setlist debate to bed!

PS

I've already mentioned this but setlist.fm has Crosby, Stills and Nash songs classed as 'covers' on Crosby, Stills, Nash and Young's tour pages!! That definitely highlights the problem of being too strict ''all or nothing'' on the definition of ''cover'' when that cover has affiliated members present.

3 hours ago, DeadSlash said:

Are they doing shorter sets on the reunion?  The average show with the CD tours was over 3 hours, and they have gone near 4 in the past.  They probably have done 4 at some point tbh, if not I know they did like 3h 45m or something.

Or was this sort of a general discussion type of thread?

Yes it was a Jersey show but Bruce always plays long.  The CD shows- they had a bunch of jams and crap, you can't count that.  And yes- just general discussion.  Axl is ONLY 54 when you compare him to nearly 67 yr old Bruce who goes non stop for 4 hours.   Just makes us hopeful Axl/Guns can keep this reunion rolling!

Sure, just extend the RQ jam and KOHD a little and you are pretty much there!

Seriously, I think that maybe slightly longer (2 or 3 more songs) than they have been doing on NITL would be perfect.  Too long and there will be exhausting/boring parts of the show.  Ideally, they would play arenas with 2 nights in each city (that can support it) and do 2.5 hour shows but change out 10 or so songs for the second night.

8 hours ago, DeadSlash said:

Why are we thinking that changed?  Or was this sort of a general discussion type of thread?

If you are simply asking if they could add 30 minutes to their show, yeah, absolutely.  Axl does over 3 with wardrobe changes and they don't seem to take overly long, in other words, I have never thought to myself "What's the hold up?" at any of their shows.  He also didn't puff the show length up with speeches on the CD tours either, it was just 3 hours of rock.

As an aside, Bruce is not the measuring stick for non-stop, that title will forever be held by the R-A-M-O-N-E-S Ramones!  If you never saw them live it was a sight to behold.  they just play their catalogue straight through, I don't know how they breath!

"1-2-3 Go!"

The longest show GN'R ever played was Tokyo 2009 and it was around 3h45m long 

They currently play circa 2 hours 30-40mins, leaving about one 1 hour 20-30mins extra. That would be about 10 - 14 more songs, most of them (presumably) from Illusion. Some of your casuals are going to be looking at their watch through their fourth 'epic'.

2 hours ago, DieselDaisy said:

They currently play circa 2 hours 30-40mins, leaving about one 1 hour 20-30mins extra. That would be about 10 - 14 more songs, most of them (presumably) from Illusion. Some of your casuals are going to be looking at their watch through their fourth 'epic'.

I agree. I said similar up above. Too many goddamn casual fans at stadium shows. They haven't drank since the last time they got a babysitter 2 years ago and are spent by the time Brownstone gets played. Strangely enough, 2 of the NuGnR shows I saw (KC '12 & Vegas '14) went over 3 hours & everyone seemed to love it. I think those crowds were obviously Axl hard core fans...

I don't know, I think 3 hours is more than enough..it's hard to sustain energy and a natural high longer than that..I'd rather leave a concert feeling pumped and wanting more, rather than thinking "how long is this next solo going to last cause I'm getting tired" .. now that could just be my age talking lol but still..

• Like 1

5 hours ago, marlingrl03 said:

My feet and neck were killin me after standing and headbopping for almost the 3 hour show. ..I would have to take something really strong lol to make it to 4 hours! :lol:

That's actually a  really good point.  4 hours of Bruce takes a whole lot less energy than 4 hours of GnR... for the band and the audience.

This question is the same as asking if Usain Bolt could do a marathon.  Could he?  I don't know, maybe.  The better question is "Who wants to see Usain Bolt jog?"   The crazy part is GnR has come close at 3:45.  If Bruce tried to do their set he would collapse about 2 hours in.

Edited by DeadSlash