Regional Perishables / Franchises

Snake-Pit

Food, drinks, flowers, whatever; from your region.

I think Nurishment is one. I'm not sure... (I don't think people's heard of that one in Wales)? IDK. Some Welsh friend of mine had never heard of it.

I know for a fact Morley's is one that serves a smaller region, it's a chain of chicken shops entirely located in South London...

That's all I can think of for now, aside from imported items like; is Dragon Stout something you can get everywhere like Red Stripe? IDK.

What do you buy that's (probably) regional?

Edited by Snake-Pit

They have Nourishment in America too...and Nutriment, if hip hop references are anything to go by.  I tell you what i quite like, ever try that Bob Marleys Mellow Mood?  i don't usually go in for that shameless advertising shit but it actually tastes quite nice.  Or did back when i drank fizzy drinks.

I'm a big advocate for buying local and buying indie, when I can. My choice furniture supplier is a young couple who acquired old wood from a village shop locally, and are turning that into furniture. Also flowers sold on the market at York last 3 weeks, when a bunch from Tesco are brown bread after 3 days. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Gracii Guns said:

I'm a big advocate for buying local and buying indie, when I can. My choice furniture supplier is a young couple who acquired old wood from a village shop locally, and are turning that into furniture. Also flowers sold on the market at York last 3 weeks, when a bunch from Tesco are brown bread after 3 days. 

Joe Strummer once said your money is vote, instead of buying from big supermarkets and corporate ratholes go to your local grocery store, instead of going to McDonalds go to your local restaurant where the guy who owns it is standing behind the counter picking his teeth.  Good girl Grace.

5 minutes ago, Len B'stard said:

Joe Strummer once said your money is vote, instead of buying from big supermarkets and corporate ratholes go to your local grocery store, instead of going to McDonalds go to your local restaurant where the guy who owns it is standing behind the counter picking his teeth.  Good girl Grace.

Sometimes it pays to buy locally, and sometimes it doesn't. I've got a lot of sympathy for the folk making the most of every penny at Tesco. I've been there myself, and we're blessed enough right now that for some things which are worth spending money on (such as furniture) we can manage it. There is a virtue to shopping at ma and pa shops, but I'm glad that the big corporates are there, as they offer employment as well as the cheaper food.

Since we're on the topic of supermarkets, I'll let you know a secret about fruit and veg in the UK. The supplier brings it, and Waitrose get the first pick. Then Sainsbury's and Tesco. Then Aldi and Lidl do. There is a chance you can get some really nice fruit at Lidl (as it is the same supplier as Waitrose), but in general, they sell it cheaper because it's likely going to be uglier.  

1 minute ago, Gracii Guns said:

Sometimes it pays to buy locally, and sometimes it doesn't. I've got a lot of sympathy for the folk making the most of every penny at Tesco. I've been there myself, and we're blessed enough right now that for some things which are worth spending money on (such as furniture) we can manage it. There is a virtue to shopping at ma and pa shops, but I'm glad that the big corporates are there, as they offer employment as well as the cheaper food.

Since we're on the topic of supermarkets, I'll let you know a secret about fruit and veg in the UK. The supplier brings it, and Waitrose get the first pick. Then Sainsbury's and Tesco. Then Aldi and Lidl do. There is a chance you can get some really nice fruit at Lidl (as it is the same supplier as Waitrose), but in general, they sell it cheaper because it's likely going to be uglier.  

Yeah it's the same with everything, it's why the fish you get down the chippie is all tails, the good stuff gets sent to the savoy grill or whatever.  The more working class you are the harder you get the shaft.

*stands on soap box* 

THE WORKERS FLAG IS DEEPEST RED STAINED WITH THE BLOOD OF WORKERS DEAD, THOUGH COWARDS FLINCH AND TRAITORS SNEER WE'LL KEEP THE RED FLAG FLYING HERE!

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Snake-Pit said:

Food, drinks, flowers, whatever; from your region.

I think Nurishment is one. I'm not sure... (I don't think people's heard of that one in Wales)? IDK. Some Welsh friend of mine had never heard of it.

I know for a fact Morley's is one that serves a smaller region, it's a chain of chicken shops entirely located in South London...

That's all I can think of for now, aside from imported items like; is Dragon Stout something you can get everywhere like Red Stripe? IDK.

What do you buy that's (probably) regional?

Like a milkshake isn't it? Very sweet. I used to buy them all the time.