The Awesome Responsibilities of Being a Yelper

Snake-Pit

• 1 month later...

One problem with places like Yelp is that people give really person specific reviews of their own limited experience. 

Somebody eats at a restaurant one time and has a non-friendly waitress and their steak was a little undercooked. So they leave a terrible review. But that one review isn't a proper representation of what the restaurant is really like. 

Maybe the waitress was sick and having a bad day and normally she is one of the best waitresses in the city. And maybe the chef nails 99% of their steaks and the reviewer got the one semi-wrong one out of 100. 

But people today love to be outraged and because of FB/twitter/snapchat/Instagram/etc everybody thinks that their opinion is important and needs to be heard. That's why there are literally 284 million people in the world who call themselves bloggers. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Apollo said:

One problem with places like Yelp is that people give really person specific reviews of their own limited experience. 

Somebody eats at a restaurant one time and has a non-friendly waitress and their steak was a little undercooked. So they leave a terrible review. But that one review isn't a proper representation of what the restaurant is really like. 

Maybe the waitress was sick and having a bad day and normally she is one of the best waitresses in the city. And maybe the chef nails 99% of their steaks and the reviewer got the one semi-wrong one out of 100. 

But people today love to be outraged and because of FB/twitter/snapchat/Instagram/etc everybody thinks that their opinion is important and needs to be heard. That's why there are literally 284 million people in the world who call themselves bloggers. 

Agree with this. I do a little as-and-when job at an escape room. One guy arrived with a really bad attitude to begin with, wouldn't listen to my colleague's instructions and actually told them what we should be doing as he claimed to also run an escape room. He treated everyone awfully and the staff just really stepped back, didn't confront him and showed him the door afterwards. He then wrote a TripAdvisor review full of lies, got his wife or whoever to write a similar one, then wrote complimentary ones about the "rival" escape room in town (who we get along great with). So we now have over 500 4 and 5 star reviews with no more than two 1 star reviews. Several people mentioned how they didn't understand how we could get a bad review. We treat everyone exactly the same, want everyone to have a good time and even the guys who don't solve the rooms still come back. But this bad review really upset my bosses, who had invested so much time and money (and these are people who spent their careers working in supermarkets, but got it together to start their own business in their 50s).

While blogging has been democratised by the internet, it has put most people who would be full-time journalists, editors, photographers and designers out of work. I'm feeling the effects of it right now. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Apollo said:

Also, people love a moan.  And standards flip when people are dishing opinion out, they turn into AA Gill.  

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, PappyTron said:

"Eee, that's the spot, father. That's right proper grand!"

Avoid northern crumpet whenever possible.  Its harder to differentiate up there eh?  Someone once told me a foolproof method though is 'they're the ones that carry the men home at chucking out time and win a fortune arm wrestling' :D

Edited by Len Cnut

6 hours ago, Gracii Guns said:

Agree with this. I do a little as-and-when job at an escape room. One guy arrived with a really bad attitude to begin with, wouldn't listen to my colleague's instructions and actually told them what we should be doing as he claimed to also run an escape room. He treated everyone awfully and the staff just really stepped back, didn't confront him and showed him the door afterwards. He then wrote a TripAdvisor review full of lies, got his wife or whoever to write a similar one, then wrote complimentary ones about the "rival" escape room in town (who we get along great with). So we now have over 500 4 and 5 star reviews with no more than two 1 star reviews. Several people mentioned how they didn't understand how we could get a bad review. We treat everyone exactly the same, want everyone to have a good time and even the guys who don't solve the rooms still come back. But this bad review really upset my bosses, who had invested so much time and money (and these are people who spent their careers working in supermarkets, but got it together to start their own business in their 50s).

While blogging has been democratised by the internet, it has put most people who would be full-time journalists, editors, photographers and designers out of work. I'm feeling the effects of it right now. 

You hit the nail on the head with both points. 

18 hours ago, Apollo said:

I rarely use Yelp for it's intended purpose. If I'm in a city I'm unfamiliar with, I will sometimes use it to actually find a business I need/want to go to. How I end up using Yelp most of the time is looking up 1 star reviews for anywhere we're going to dinner. Not only are almost all 1 star reviews exactly what you're saying, they're almost always literally with hilarious mis-spellings and things you can tell are blown out of proportion.

People can't deal with waiting anymore, so MANY 1 star Yelp reviews are filled with people claiming they had 30 plus minute waits for their food or to even get acknowledged. Horseshit. It was probably more like 5 or even 3 minutes, but their entitled brains can't wrap around the concept that everything shouldn't be handed to them immediately. Another classic is the whole "I've had REAL (fill in meal here) in (fill in country of origin here) and this was nothing like it!". Oh really world traveller? The spaghetti & meatballs that costs $7 at the local franchise isn't the same as what you had in Rome? I speak for all of us when I say we're shocked!

It goes the other way with 5 star reviews too though, but it's not as fun. You can just tell when it's the owner, employees or someone associated with the business that's singing it's praises. Like I said, that's fun to read too but not nearly as fun as reading someone blowing something out of proporting in an attempt to get themselves a gift card for their next visit. I have to laugh when employees, owners and what not over-react to 1 star or even 3 star reviews. 3 star reviews are usually the only ones I trust on there because it's usually a level person who's just stating their experience with no motovation either way.

I recently posted a 3 star review of a place on social media. I went out of my way to say that I wasn't saying anything bad about the place, I just wasn't blown away. I also mentioned that my review wasn't from one experience. I mentioned that I'd been there several times over the course of a year when I decided on writing a review. I mentioned that everything was fine about the place but nothing stood out to me as "5 star worthy". I was amazed that employees & customers alike came out to hand me my ass by responding to my post. They were all appalled that I would have the nerve to say this was a 3 star business. I restated points from my review; that I wasn't saying anything was bad, I was just saying that nothing was "great", thus, 3 stars. I stopped responding eventually because people just wanted to argue that I must not know what I'm talking about because they'd had amazing experiences there. 

In any case.... online reviews can be entertaining all the way around.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, username said:

Yeah... It's getting annoying. Not reaching Miser-levels yet. But the brainfarts are getting more frequent. 

This has what to do with Yelp?

If you don't have anything to add to the thread, why bother posting here at all?