Phil Rudd: "I don't really want to play with Axl Rose... I don't really rate him."

nikosgnr

On 8/30/2016 at 4:16 PM, nikosgnr said:
philruddheadjobpromo3_638.jpg

"If Angus [Young, AC/DC guitarist] wanted me to play, then that is up to him... but I don't really want to play with Axl Rose [current AC/DC touring vocalist]... I don't really rate him. Geoffrey [Spencer, who plays in Phil's solo band] is a great guitarist, just as good as Malcolm [Young, retired AC/DC guitarist], [and even] better than [him], if you ask me."

Funny thing Phil.. Neither Angus wants to play with you.

Yeah that's it. Take it personal. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 8/31/2016 at 8:59 AM, bigpoop said:

And he has a right to his opinion. I was responding to the person who said in 'other news I'll be joining GNR' as if to say Phil's comments are equally preposterous.

But Phil is not just some random schmo on the internet.  His one of the main AC/DC guys. One of the main reasons their best stuff sounds the way it sounds. 

No secret he and Malcolm didn't get along.  Big deal. Axl said Slash was cancer! He has never recanted that statement. People say shit.

agreed! everyone has a right to their opinion. tired of people who think they can change my mind...my opinions will change if i want to, not by people trying to shove their opinions down my throat expecting me to follow them like a sheep!

Edited by AxlsFavoriteRose

Whatever he wants to say about Axl is fine, some people won't like his take on the songs! but trying to diminish Malcolm's guitar playing> no, just no! the guy in your band might be hotter than hell! but he was probably influenced by Malcolm riffs... I heard some the Phil solo album and I don't remember thinking anything much accept that it sounded like old AC/DC with a not as good singer.. should have got Axl ;)

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

Mar. 31 - Hard Rock Café - Oslo, Norway
Apr. 01 - Musiik Kielleren - Jossingfjord, Norway
Apr. 07 - Storlian Rockfest - Storlian, Sweden
Apr. 28 - Bonfest - Scotland, UK
May 02 - Kaufleuten - Zurich, Switzerland
May 03 - Arena - Vienna, Austria
May 04 - Cinema Paradiso - St Polten, Austria
May 05 - Phenomenon - Novarra, Italy
May 06 - Legend Club - Ravena, Italy
May 07 - Durer Kert Big Hall - Budapest, Hungary
May 10 - Lucerna Music Bar - Prague, Czech Republic
May 11 - Brno Semi Lasso - Brno, Czech Republic
May 12 - Livinov Attic Music Club - Litvino, Czech Republic
May 13 - Jablonec N/N - Eurocentrum, Czech Republic
May 16 - Bratislava Rock Café - Dudravka, Slovakia
May 17 - Ostrava Barrack Club - Moravska Ostrava, Slovakia
May 18 - Zilina Dom Odrobov - Ziliana, Slovakia
May 19 - Sk Presov - Pko Presov, Slovakia
May 20 - Pardudice - Zluty Pes, Czech Republic
May 21 - Band On The Wall - Manchester, UK
May 24 - The Brook - Southampton, UK
May 25 - Concorde - Brighton, UK
May 26 - St Albans Arena - St Albans, UK
May 27 - Underworld - London, UK
May 28 - Corn Exchange - Edinburgh, UK

On 9/10/2016 at 8:45 PM, Silent Jay said:

More importantly Phil Rudd just had a heart attack and planned to tour in UK and Europe next year.

"I was just at home walking around at home, and I started feel, well just funny. You know how you can feel funny? I had a strange pain in my chest. So my housekeeper took me to the hospital, when they hooked me up and did all these tests turned out I had a big heart attack...my artery was all blocked up, and they said I had to stay in and have an operation."

"I sneaked out to the shop to get some cigarettes, then I realised I had no car, so I walked home to get the Ferrari, and drove back to the hospital."

that kinda points out this guy has very poor judgement...

• 2 weeks later...

"I'd dearly love to play on anything that Angus (AC/DC founder and lead guitarist Angus Young) does, anything that might be - it's never over.

"I have great stories with all the guys from AC/DC. We've gone through a lot together, done a lot together, done a lot of damage together.

"I have a lot of great memories with AC/DC and, even though some of us might not be very well, we're not dead yet.."

He described the tour almost as a test-run to gauge his fans' reactions, and revealed that the list of dates may be extended.

"We can't wait to pump it up, make a mark, and see how it goes," he said.

"Hopefully we'll get a few downloads, or however it works now. But bring your earplugs because it will be loud."

http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/entertainment/news/were-not-dead-yet-says-exacdc-drummer-phil-rudd-ahead-of-solo-album-tour-35294394.html

http://www.eonmusic.co.uk/phil-rudd-acdc-eonmusic-exclusive-interview-december-2016.html

The album ‘Let There Be Rock’ turns forty in January. Do you have many memories of recording it?
Yeah, sort of. All those early albums that we did at Albert [Productions, AC/DC’s early Australian label] are all kind of; you could mistake one for the other at any time, you know? I remember the first recording. ‘High Voltage’ was the first thing I ever recorded with the band, and that was pretty nerve wracking, with George Young [producer, and brother of AC/DC founders Angus and Malcolm Young] looking on. I was just a young fella, you know? But they made me what I am today, and that’s a good thing. So it’s all good.

How did recording an AC/DC album work back then; was it a case of “Phil, you have three days for drum tracks”?
No, we’d go in as a rhythm track band; Malcolm and Angus and Cliff [Williams, bassist] and myself, and we’d get a feel for the song, and then get the drums down.

Which is your favourite of the albums you recorded with AC/DC?
I probably like ‘Rock Or Bust’ as much as any of them. It was ten days; it was in and out, in this day in age where it can take six months to get a couple of tracks down, depending on how you go about it. But I love ‘Hard Times’, and the guitar sound on ‘Mission Control’ is fuckin’ out of it, man - it’s the best guitar sound I’ve ever heard.

At the other end of the scale, ‘For Those About To Rock’ took months to record.
That one came after ‘Back In Black’, and we did that one in Paris. We did ‘Flick Of The Switch’ in Paris as well, I think. But I don’t know, my memory’s fuckin’ going.

You and the band parted ways during the recording of ‘Flick Of The Switch’, after a fight with Malcolm Young.
Nah, it wasn’t really like that. It was just a misunderstanding, you know, when you look back on those things. 

Were you disappointed that you never got to perform any of the tracks from ‘Rock Or Bust’ live?
I was. I was very disappointed, but it’s called ‘shooting yourself in the foot’, young man; I fuckin’ did it, mate, and I did it well. I’m sort of a little bit restricted on travelling around like I’m used to, but I’m coping with that, and I’m not done yet!  

Would you be comfortable being in AC/DC now, with Malcolm, Brian Johnson, and Cliff Williams all gone?
Well, yeah, I would be. There are other options, and I’ve got my ideas. Nothing’s impossible, let’s just say that.

Have you had any contact with any of the guys since parting ways?
Yes, I have, I’ve had contact with the guys and the crew. I’ve heard from Brian. I spoke to Brian a couple of days ago. We were talking about cars and how fuckin’ useless he is; how much quicker I am than him! He’s doing all right.

Any hints of what tracks you might be playing?
I’ll tell you one of the Bon ones that we’re going to play. Let’s go and have a look at the list -I’ve got to write everything down at my age, mate. The list says; ‘Shot Down In Flames’, so that’s one. We’ll be fuckin’ rockin’, I promise you that, mate. 

Edited by Silent Jay

• 1 month later...

phil-rudd-2-650-80.jpg

The musician told Music Radar: "I watched some clips the other day of Axl singing with the boys.

"I was surprised; it wasn't too bad. I was quite surprised, I thought he did quite well - and that's not an easy gig, mate, it’s not an easy gig at all. AC/DC is a tough gig for everyone in the band.

"I saw Angus jamming with Guns N' Roses as well. Apart from watching those clips though I don't know what’s going to happen or what’s going on with the band."

-

"I've spoken to a couple of the guys. I can't say what's on the horizon for AC/DC, I can't really say. That's not my thing to say.

"I have seen, though, that Guns N’ Roses are playing over here in Wellington soon and they have a big tour all over the world. I wonder whether Angus will be happy to see Guns N' Roses going out on a big tour which means that AC/DC can't go out on tour. We will see. You'd need a crystal ball to know what's going to happen there."

Edited by Silent Jay
  • Like 2

14 minutes ago, Silent Jay said:

phil-rudd-2-650-80.jpg

The musician told Music Radar: "I watched some clips the other day of Axl singing with the boys.

"I was surprised; it wasn't too bad. I was quite surprised, I thought he did quite well - and that's not an easy gig, mate, it’s not an easy gig at all. AC/DC is a tough gig for everyone in the band.

"I saw Angus jamming with Guns N' Roses as well. Apart from watching those clips though I don't know what’s going to happen or what’s going on with the band."

-

"I've spoken to a couple of the guys. I can't say what's on the horizon for AC/DC, I can't really say. That's not my thing to say.

"I have seen, though, that Guns N’ Roses are playing over here in Wellington soon and they have a big tour all over the world. I wonder whether Angus will be happy to see Guns N' Roses going out on a big tour which means that AC/DC can't go out on tour. We will see. You'd need a crystal ball to know what's going to happen there."

if i had to choose between Axl w/GNR and him with AC/DC it's gonna be Axl w/GNR everytime.

• Like 1