New Beatles Documentary

Len Cnut

Let It Be was remastered a while back and ready to go, I just think it keeps getting put on the back burner because that's a tough one to put out unless there's fanfare and hype involved. 

There had been a demand for Hollywood Bowl on CD for years, then Ron Howard coming in with this movie opened the door to the Bowl re-release. 

With the 50th of Sgt Pepper coming, they should put the sessions out as a box set, I'm sure Cheap Trick is going to do another Sgt Pepper show at the Hollywood Bowl next year, and it's possible McCartney and Starr will be showing up for it. It would be all too easy to get special guests.  

12 minutes ago, dalsh327 said:

Let It Be was remastered a while back and ready to go, I just think it keeps getting put on the back burner because that's a tough one to put out unless there's fanfare and hype involved. 

There had been a demand for Hollywood Bowl on CD for years, then Ron Howard coming in with this movie opened the door to the Bowl re-release. 

With the 50th of Sgt Pepper coming, they should put the sessions out as a box set, I'm sure Cheap Trick is going to do another Sgt Pepper show at the Hollywood Bowl next year, and it's possible McCartney and Starr will be showing up for it. It would be all too easy to get special guests.  

The time to release the Let it Be film was surely when they released Let it Be Naked in 2003!

There is not much left unless Macca decides to release that Carnival of Light song in some manner.

1 hour ago, DieselDaisy said:

The time to release the Let it Be film was surely when they released Let it Be Naked in 2003!

There is not much left unless Macca decides to release that Carnival of Light song in some manner.

A few weeks before the "1s on Blu Ray" was announced, someone in the know told me Anthology and Let It Be on Blu Ray were going to be released. Ron Howard's movie changed things and started pushing to release Hollywood Bowl. 

Paul's recent Rolling Stone interview made it seem like he's open to sessions being released, plus the guy running Apple used to run Sony Legacy who did the Dylan Bootleg Series. There's always going to be people who want to hear the songs being worked on and all the alternate versions, Anthology tried to put as much as possible out there, but taking months of sessions and squeezing it onto one disc doesn't represent how much work goes into making an album. If a song wasn't working out, would just switch to working on something else and maybe go back to it later. 

I'm sure the same thing's been discussed regarding an AFD box set, put the bonus stuff out as a companion disc, a 6 disc sessions box set, or a 20 disc box set with a hefty price tag. 

If Sgt Pepper comes out as a box set and have the sessions on there, they're probably going to have Carnival of Light on it. The whole thing of Olivia "abiding by George's wishes" is the only reason it wouldn't be on there but her son's become more involved in band decisions. 

29 minutes ago, dalsh327 said:

A few weeks before the "1s on Blu Ray" was announced, someone in the know told me Anthology and Let It Be on Blu Ray were going to be released. Ron Howard's movie changed things and started pushing to release Hollywood Bowl. 

Paul's recent Rolling Stone interview made it seem like he's open to sessions being released, plus the guy running Apple used to run Sony Legacy who did the Dylan Bootleg Series. There's always going to be people who want to hear the songs being worked on and all the alternate versions, Anthology tried to put as much as possible out there, but taking months of sessions and squeezing it onto one disc doesn't represent how much work goes into making an album. If a song wasn't working out, would just switch to working on something else and maybe go back to it later. 

I'm sure the same thing's been discussed regarding an AFD box set, put the bonus stuff out as a companion disc, a 6 disc sessions box set, or a 20 disc box set with a hefty price tag. 

If Sgt Pepper comes out as a box set and have the sessions on there, they're probably going to have Carnival of Light on it. The whole thing of Olivia "abiding by George's wishes" is the only reason it wouldn't be on there but her son's become more involved in band decisions. 

I think if the Anthology was released today it would probably be twice as long. It has becoming increasingly obvious that fans will lap up the absolute sweepings of the studio floor from these certified 'classic acts' - attribute it to middle class spending power, nerdom and/or a dearth of new artists (whichever you desire)?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, DieselDaisy said:

I think if the Anthology was released today it would probably be twice as long. It has becoming increasingly obvious that fans will lap up the absolute sweepings of the studio floor from these certified 'classic acts' - attribute it to middle class spending power, nerdom and/or a dearth of new artists (whichever you desire)?

The Directors Cut bootleg is 10 DVDs, it has a lot more interviews, but I never bothered downloading it and just saw clips from it on You Tube. It's possible they'll throw some of it on the Blu Ray as bonuses. 

13 hours ago, dalsh327 said:

The Directors Cut bootleg is 10 DVDs, it has a lot more interviews, but I never bothered downloading it and just saw clips from it on You Tube. It's possible they'll throw some of it on the Blu Ray as bonuses. 

The Anthology film (I was discussing the albums)? I've never seen it either. I just have the official dvd boxset, which is fairly exhaustive in itself. Still, if there is anyone fitting for a ten disc DVD treatment, it is the fab four. 

Have you seen that bootleg which usually goes under ''The Complete Live Collection''? Every show the Fab Four played (that exists), twenty-two discs from the Quarry Men and German clubs, to Candlestick Park 1966!!

http://www.guitars101.com/forums/f90/the-beatles-complete-purple-chick-live-collection-22-cds-112850.html  (some of the links are old but watch this space as they constantly re-upload)

https://themidnightcafe.org/2013/04/01/lossless-bootleg-bonanza-the-beatles-the-complete-live-collection-vol-6-convention-hall-wisdom/

(Volume 6)

Surely the definitive collection for Beatlesmaniac.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, dalsh327 said:

It's basically that each episode is longer, they come in at like an 1 hour 15 mins each, some a bit shorter, some a bit longer and it's more focussed on the interviews and the footage of the band and a little less of the performances in terms of lengths, the idea being that those performances are well worn and everyones seen them so instead of having such long chunks of em it's more filled out with longer interviews with The Beatles themselves and all the various parties surrounding it.

• Like 1