2002 VMA's rehearsal footage

I remember a few years ago there was a guy on here that claimed he had the 02' vma rehersal footage. He gave a 30 second teaser clip that showed bucket head without the usual Michael Myers mask, it was instead this really weird even more creepy mask. Axl was wearing a red jersey, possibly from USC. I remember the guy wanting a ridiculous price for it. Is he still around? I'm sure that since the reunion with slash, this isn't worth near as much, but I'd still love to see it. Anybody have any info?

Nugunz is such an interesting thing.  So much division on support and views.  Some see tragically wasted potential on their lack of original music.  Some see tragically wasted potential on Axl, Slash and the other members being estranged (specifically on making music together) for many years.  What an interesting topic

• Like 4

32 minutes ago, Riddick Bowe said:

lukepowell1988 contacted me last year asking if I was still interesting in the footage. He claimed he was in contact with somebody in NY who had the footage and the price was 1000 dollars.

$1000? How long is the footage?

There was a rehearsal footage on youtube a few years back, but it was like for 10 to 20 seconds or so. 

2 minutes ago, zombux said:

yes, only that "teaser" ever got out. the guy who owns the footage then pulled out of the deal (supposedly got mad because the trader shared this snippet).

Where did he get the footage from?

In that snippet I remember the "MTV" Logo was there, so was it aired after/before the show and this guy recorded it? 

or he worked in MTV and somehow got the footage? 

2 hours ago, jamillos said:

Let him send you a snippet. A snippet or it didn't happen...

I actually remember that. A bit of Maddy and then Axl says to the soundman something containing "cause I can't read lips".

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, RussTCB said:

Because of this thread, I just watched the VMA performance again for the first time in years. So much potential, such a bad performance. 

It's that performance that led to the belief that Axl couldn't sing... Awful reemergence  

• Like 2

Yep, in 2006 he called it "catastrophe", although I don't think he was exclusively referring to his voice.
Anyway, I liked the mysteriousness by which the whole thing (and era) was surrounded. Other than that, it's the weirdest and weakest era in the history, no doubts.

• Like 2

Whomever has this needs to just release it already. There is clearly no monetary value in holding onto it any longer, as that era is, as it should be, dead. Personally, I want to see the rehearsal footage just to hear what a not-out-of-breath 2002 Axl would have sounded like on the VMA stage. IIRC, he was running down the street just to get to the venue due to the traffic. Well, not directly due to the traffic, really. He obviously could have gone to the show at a reasonable time. But then, that wasn't the Axl we knew!

4 hours ago, Slash787 said:

Wow haven't seen this in a long time. Very exciting time. I had seen GNR 9 months before this in LV at The Joint and they just played a had full of shows in Asia but were really under the radar and Axl was still like Bigfoot. Sightings very rare. 

• Like 2

What the fuck was he thinking? Hard to believe the Axl I saw last week was the same person as the weirdo in 2002. 

This is why the age argument never works. He was 40 years in 2002 and he looked and sounded the worst in his career. At 40 he should have still had his explosive voice. Thank goodness he was able to recover from that nightmare to make the "reunion" work.  What a waste of time that entire era was. He should have just remained secluded.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, SWINGTRADER said:

What the fuck was he thinking? Hard to believe the Axl I saw last week was the same person as the weirdo in 2002. 

This is why the age argument never works. He was 40 years in 2002 and he looked and sounded the worst in his career. At 40 he should have still had his explosive voice. Thank goodness he was able to recover from that nightmare to make the "reunion" work.  What a waste of time that entire era was. He should have just remained secluded.

He was coming off a period of heavy depression. One of the early producers of the Chinese Democracy album (Youth maybe?) said he had to follow Axl around his house banging spoons together trying to coax Axl to sing - he was pretty far gone