02/11/17 - Sydney - ANZ Stadium

RussTCB

Even as a fan of the album Chinese Democracy, I've always found it hard to get into This I Love. That being said, I find it goes over decently with the crowd. I know it screams "piss break" for some but I look at it as basically Axl's vocal solo so generally the casual crowd is pretty receptive to it. When I saw them last year, that and the title track got the biggest response. Better and Sorry seemed to bore the crowd, but at my particular show (Toronto) they were played back to back so no wonder.

So glad to see Slash was on beast mode and there were many comments about how awesome he is. Good to see people talking about him and not about Angus not so Young for a change. I'm glad Angus and Angry were there.

I was gonna say By The Sword should have been played by GNR without Axl (like they did with Lenny in Paris 92) but then I remembered Frank is the drummer... 

2 hours ago, nikosgnr said:

Sorry mate.

B003ACuCIAAbPvq.jpg

3a84e555ffbecbfd3beb96c62d190d85.jpg

WTF? Is that an evil koala? It reminds me of Mr. Burns :lol:

• Like 2

They tuned Nice Boys down to where Rose Tattoo play it so Angry could keep up.

In 2013 (last time they did the duet) they played it in GNR tuning and little Angry was too drunk to know what was going on, much less hit the notes. :lol:

Just got home, might post a little review of the two shows tomorrow if I'm not too lazy! 

EDIT: Nice Boys in 2013 - you can hear Angry throws Axl at first by singing in a different key. 

Edited by highvoltage
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, Live Like a Suicide said:

This I Love is a good song to show the dynamic between Axl and Slash. Both usually kill it too. Axl sounds great on the song, and Slash smashes the solo. Since Axl also wrote the song as early as 1992, i would argue it probably has more of a right to be there than the others, honestly.

Mehhhh.. Just not for me.. I gave it an honest effort.. The chorus is catchy.. Probably only because it is so repetitive.. The rest of it just sucks.. Well I did remember digging the outro solo on a periscope once.. The meat of the song is painful to my ears.

Edited by Tom-Ass

1 minute ago, Tom-Ass said:

Mehhhh.. Just not for me.. I gave it an honest effort.. The chorus is catchy.. Probably only because it is so repetitive.. The rest of it just sucks.. Well I did remember digging the outro solo on a periscope once.. The meat of the song is painful to my ears.

They really played this??? I don't see it on setlist.fm

Slash came out and played it with Wolfmother during their opening set. 

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, StrangerInThisTown said:

Pretty good performance by Axl. I think I had too high expectations for this song, I thought it was gonna be something like this

Hope they keep it in the set for a bit more

It's lowered for Angry, which is too low for Axl. However once he warmed up he did alright. I hope they do it again without Angry in a higher key.

1 hour ago, Gibbo said:

Whole Lotta Rosie its like Angus needs a grease I dont reckon I have seen him that sloppy 

What the fuck was that? I'm going to assume Angus couldn't hear shit, because that was disastrous.

Interesting to go read a show thread and there are more comments, videos and discussion about shows from over 3 years ago than the current show the thread is for.

Seems like they mixed it up a bit with Slash guesting before the show then having special guests Angry and Angus. I was half expecting them to not do it and the forum would be having a melt down over it. I hope everyone who went enjoyed the show.

I am not sure how the band survived doing that heat for two days straight. Hopefully they were all careful not got get themselves heatstroke.

1 minute ago, AxlRoseCDII said:

Damn I was super pumped for Nice Boys but Axl simply can't sing it in a lower key...kinda disappointed :shrugs:

Another one of those things where it's like "this band.."

Usually it's bands tune down so singers can sing BETTER. No, not with our Axll gotta be the other way around.:axl: Seems they also slowed it down or is it just me?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, StrangerInThisTown said:

Another one of those things where it's like "this band.."

Usually it's bands tune down so singers can sing BETTER. No, not with our Axll gotta be the other way around.:axl: Seems they also slowed it down or is it just me?

I think it might be slowed down. Damn, tempos are always too fast or too slow right? :lol:

1 minute ago, AxlRoseCDII said:

I think it might be slowed down. Damn, tempos are always too fast or too slow right? :lol:

Compared to the 2010 video version above the vocal delivery just doesn't seem as fierce and fast to me. Not sure if that's the songs tempo or if they just choose to sing it that way

5 minutes ago, Fitha_whiskey said:

Yeah- I hope they play this more often too. It's got that more raw feel that makes a nice mix with the more polished stuff in the set. If they ever switched things up and opened with Nightrain, this would make a great set closer before the encore.

It sounded like Axl sand it in a register that worked for his voice these days too. Different but still good. He should try that for other songs he struggles with. 

2 hours ago, StrangerInThisTown said:

Pretty good performance by Axl. I think I had too high expectations for this song, I thought it was gonna be something like this

Last time he sang it with anderson he did it this way too. He adapt to anderson 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, StrangerInThisTown said:

Omfg that is awesome 

• Like 1