Should Izzy be in the current band?

My thoughts on Izzy:

1. Izzy was an integral part of GnR and made an amazing combination with Slash, even though they did not have the best opinions for each other from time to time.

2. It would be great to have Izzy back. 

3. I can't blame neither the 3 nor Izzy (and of course not Fortus) for his absence, since we don't know what happened at the negotiations. I hope that all parts are interested and that we'll see him in the near future.

4. I understand the desire for the AFD-5 and only them, but there's no reason to nullify the efforts of the other members and treat them as useless (I'm sure that Izzy appreciates Fortus).

5. The Slash - Fortus combination should not be judged with the same criteria imo. It's something different, because the band wants it that way.

6. Izzy wrote some very good songs and it's dumb to underestimate his work. On the other hand, GnR has many non-Izzy very good songs. As for the lyrics, generally I prefer Axl's.

7. I'm very happy with this reunion and I hope it goes well until the end. I don't take things for granted. For those saying that it's not Guns N' Roses without Izzy, I disagree.

12 minutes ago, Slash787 said:

Izzy is busy......making a movie......credit goes to @Lumikki

Prog4Junior%20-%20English%20DVD%20Layout

No one who hasn't read the women's thread will get this :lol:

Part of me wishes she'd have gone for the Alien chestburster option though :rofl-lol:I mean Ahhhhnold is cool and that movie is so bad it's good again already, but I would have liked to see the blood and gore version.

Edited by Frey

1 hour ago, WhenYou'reTalkinToYourself said:

4. I understand the desire for the AFD-5 and only them, but there's no reason to nullify the efforts of the other members and treat them as useless (I'm sure that Izzy appreciates Fortus).

5. The Slash - Fortus combination should not be judged with the same criteria imo. It's something different, because the band wants it that way.

I can't speak for everyone else but I just don't like what Fortus brings to the table. It has nothing to do with him not being Izzy.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Tom-Ass said:

I can't speak for everyone else but I just don't like what Fortus brings to the table. It has nothing to do with him not being Izzy.

You don't like his on-stage presence, the way he plays his solos, the fact that he plays solos, his rhythm parts, or anything at all?

I don't like that he uses to hit the chords that hard sometimes, it reminds me the nuGNR for some reason, but aside from that I think he is fine.

I like the tone of his guitar, especially on Wish you were here, it fits well with Slash's.

3 minutes ago, WhenYou'reTalkinToYourself said:

You don't like his on-stage presence, the way he plays his solos, the fact that he plays solos, his rhythm parts, or anything at all?

I don't like that he uses to hit the chords that hard sometimes, it reminds me the nuGNR for some reason, but aside from that I think he is fine.

I like the tone of his guitar, especially on Wish you were here, it fits well with Slash's.

Onstage Presence.. Nope.. He is the biggest show boat on the stage and most people at the shows don't even give a rats ass about him. Kind of corny. The ultimate poser.

The way he plays his solos.. I really don't.. His Rocket Queen one doesn't fit the song.. The Nightrain one is tacky.

The fact that he plays solos.. I don't.. He has way too many. I could care less about the CD ones but don't care to hear him on KOHD or other Gn'R tunes.  Wish You Were here is ok but other than that just play rhythm

his rhythm parts... He pulls off the rhythm parts pretty well on most songs.. Sometimes he tries to get to cute and adds unnecessary things to the songs which is annoying.. At times he is too loud but that seems to have gotten better. In April it was terrible.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Tom-Ass said:

Onstage Presence.. Nope.. He is the biggest show boat on the stage and most people at the shows don't even give a rats ass about him. Kind of corny. The ultimate poser.

The way he plays his solos.. I really don't.. His Rocket Queen one doesn't fit the song.. The Nightrain one is tacky.

The fact that he plays solos.. I don't.. He has way too many. I could care less about the CD ones but don't care to hear him on KOHD or other Gn'R tunes.  Wish You Were here is ok but other than that just play rhythm

his rhythm parts... He pulls off the rhythm parts pretty well on most songs.. Sometimes he tries to get to cute and adds unnecessary things to the songs which is annoying.. At times he is too loud but that seems to have gotten better. In April it was terrible.

To each their own.... But to claim that no one gives a rats ass about him on stage is a bit much. I've never heard anyone complain about his playing during a show. Also I don't think anyone thinks Slash isn't the main attraction on guitar after walking out. 

Id just say that  GNR likes to make sure everyone gets a bit of the limelight in each show. So to expect Fortus to not play a few leads is sort of naive. Also none of those guys play their parts exactly like the record either. So I'm not sure why you'd expect any different for him. 

Sounds like you either want him behind the amps or offstage playing behind a curtain?

Would I like Izzy to be back in the band and be a part of the partnership again? Yes, do I think he's necessary at this point, no, the band is doing fine with this tour without him. Fortus is fine at what he does. If Izzy didn't want to be a part of it that's his problem. As others have said, he left the partnership willingly years ago. 

20 hours ago, Good, Fuck'n, Night. said:

29 minutes ago, guitarpatch said:

To each their own.... But to claim that no one gives a rats ass about him on stage is a bit much. I've never heard anyone complain about his playing during a show. Also I don't think anyone thinks Slash isn't the main attraction on guitar after walking out. 

Id just say that  GNR likes to make sure everyone gets a bit of the limelight in each show. So to expect Fortus to not play a few leads is sort of naive. Also none of those guys play their parts exactly like the record either. So I'm not sure why you'd expect any different for him. 

Sounds like you either want him behind the amps or offstage playing behind a curtain?

To each their own.... But to claim that no one gives a rats ass about him on stage is a bit much. I've never heard anyone complain about his playing during a show. Also I don't think anyone thinks Slash isn't the main attraction on guitar after walking out. There is a difference between not giving a rats ass and complaining about his playing. The comment was in reference to his stage presence, not his playing anyway. Hardly anyone cares about or pays attention to him. The camera men know this as well since they hardly focus on him. You are right, everyone knows Slash is the main attraction on guitar. People walk away blown away by him and he doesn't have to be constantly jumping around like an ass Monkey, making ejaculation faces, spinning around and punching his guitar to impress people. 

Id just say that  GNR likes to make sure everyone gets a bit of the limelight in each show. So to expect Fortus to not play a few leads is sort of naive. Also none of those guys play their parts exactly like the record either. So I'm not sure why you'd expect any different for him. I didn't follow NuGnR some I don't know how they showcased their 15 guitar players but I know in the classic GnR there was one lead player. A guitar GOD names Slash. That is all you need. I just think the Lead/Rhythm dynamic always worked with Gn'R or with any other rock band that has a lead player of his caliber. Much like like AC/DC and many others. I agree, part of the magic of Gn'R is that they never play a song the exact same way twice. I love the nuances Axl and Slash add to THEIR music. I just don't like what Fortus brings to the table. His additions are usually tacky like adding not needed whammy bar and harmonics. 

Sounds like you either want him behind the amps or offstage playing behind a curtain? That would be silly.. Unless we are talking about the spice girl

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

I saw Fortus play with faux Guns 2012ish and his stage presence seemed contrived, too much Sunset Strip posturing and string bashing. He was trying too hard.

So did Axl!

I would like him to return, I'm just saying he's not needed as Fortus does what he does just fine. I'm not saying I don't want Izzy back. Obviously if Izzy came back I wouldn't miss Fortus. 

Edited by Jw224

Gnr are essentially a trio now consisting of Axl, Slash, and Duff. Which is why they're making, by far, more money than the rest of the guys, making all the calls, and why they're the only ones featured in ads. If it were a one for all and all for one kinda deal, the "band" as a whole would feature collectively as equals, at least in how they're advertised. They don't. And they don't because they're not. The rest are the expendable backing band, literally in the shadows, making peanuts compared to what the big three in the spotlight are making. Like Bon Jovi's bass player.

Let's be real here.

Edited by Bobbo

In my opinion GN'R need a Stonesy guy to support Slash, a retro 'Americana' foil for Slash's hard rock showmanship. Izzy had Stonesiness in spades and was the perfect counterpart. Gilby successful filled this role on the Illusion tour. Fortus doesn't have it, just as Kushner didn't have it.

• Like 2

Of course he should be in the band. Fortus isn't worthy of lacing Izzy's boots.

And the same went for Gilby.  (Even though he fit GNR way better than Fortus)

Izzy was the Rolling Stones element of the band.

Some people still don't realize how important he was to the band. Each one of those guys made a huge difference. They will never recapture the magic in the studio unless the fake members leave and Izzy and Steven return. 

Edited by SWINGTRADER
  • Like 3

23 hours ago, AxlsFavoriteRose said:

so who has to die from GN'R before Izzy comes back?? cos Mike Nesmith is/has only come back since Davy Jones died?? he came back before, a few times, but mostly since Davy passed.

Izzy will be back in his own time, but The Monkees did reunite in '97.