Should Izzy be in the current band?

Izzy won't come back.

I love Izzy, but come on, he hasn't been part of Guns N' Roses since 1991...

If he (ever) comes back, he will join as the 3rd guitar player behind the Slash/Fortus combo.

Edited by Caraibes
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, Majestic Beast said:

Axl knows well,he tried to say something.

I figured you were saying that because of the interview.. Axl has said a lot of crazy shit over the years and his interpretation of reality has been known to be a little off the wall. You can't take everything he says as Gospel. He really didn't say much anyway and he  went out of his way to say that he wasn't taking shots at Izzy. They are life long friends and I bet we will see Izzy sometime soon in some capacity.

20 minutes ago, Caraibes said:

Izzy won't come back.

I love Izzy, but come on, he hasn't been part of Guns N' Roses since 1991...

If he (ever) comes back, he will join as the 3rd guitar player behind the Slash/Fortus combo.

Slash and Duff were gone since 1993 so you really never know with this band. 

I don't think he would come back as part of a 3 guitar lineup.. That may have been part of the problem. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, The Glow Inc. said:

I think  you have to remember Slash and Duff were the guys who said "no thanks" to Izzy when he offered to front Velvet Revolver so it's not like they seem to consider him a vital piece of the puzzle to begin with...

They wanted him in, he was in, but they didn't agree with his idea of him and duff sharing the singing-duties. So when they began searching for lead singers, he bailed. 

I wouldn't say that they don't think he's vital, just that they don't want him as a lead singer. Just like that they don't want duff as a lead singer.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Homefuck said:

They wanted him in, he was in, but they didn't agree with his idea of him and duff sharing the singing-duties. So when they began searching for lead singers, he bailed. 

I wouldn't say that they don't think he's vital, just that they don't want him as a lead singer. Just like that they don't want duff as a lead singer.

Exactly.. It wasn't that they didn't think he was vital at all.. He was there from the beginning, wrote a whole album with them. He just didn't want to deal with a lead singer.  He probably made the right call in reference to Scott. Scott also didn't like the album of music that Izzy/Slash/Matt and Duff wrote.. Izzy was probably like fuck you lol.. I love Izzy's voice, I bet it would have been pretty killer. Just having Him, Slash and Duff playing together would have made it killer on it's own.

• Like 2

On 04/09/2016 at 1:56 AM, Billsfan said:

Well all 3 are clearly booking the gigs together but clearly Axl has the final say on everything. Are they playing velvet revolver songs? No. Not even slither. Are they playing snake pit songs? No. Are they playing loaded songs? No. Are they playing Chinese democracy songs? Yes, a total of 6 songs. Either duff and slash do view Chinese democracy as a GNR album and wanted to learn and accept the material because it's guns n roses and not an Axl solo act named guns n roses, over anything else they did solo wise. Or they didn't have a choice. 

Axl might not have vetoed sorum because  Frank was already in guns n roses for 10 years now, which makes sense because Axl acknowledged that live. If ashba was vetoed by slash GNR we would know, is it really hard to believe that maybe ashba is just as big of a fan as we are and just knew it wouldn't work himself? We don't know what happened with pitman, another fact, and we don't know what's up with izzy. I think considering duff himself has stated that lawyers and managers pretty much broke up GNR the first time, it's easier if the three of them just manage it themselves. The fewer the better. 

But you are right about the izzy thing.. Who knows what's up there

I don't buy the theory that Ashba resigned because he is a big fan. I don't see a reason why he wouldn't want to share the stage with his idol. And I don't see how we would know, since they don't talk about stuff like that. We don't know about Sorum either. But as it can be reasonably speculated that Axl was the one who didn't want Sorum based on the fact that Slash and Duff are in good terms with him and that Axl has acknowledged Frank's loyalty, it can also be reasonably speculated that Ashba isn't there because of Slash based on the fact that Slash has shown he doesn't like him.

As for playing CD songs, I don't have a reason not to believe what both Axl and Duff said. Slither is in the setlist, maybe they will play it, maybe not.

Edited by Blackstar

I'd be happy to see Izzy guest for a song or two like Steven, but I think the shows are far superior with Richard in the 2 slot. He knows more material, he seems a little more "with it" than Izzy (who seemed lost more often than not when they tried to bring back 14 Years,) and he's a better player all around. 

Also, I think Slash already prefers playing with Richard to Izzy...just the impression I get, from seeing them on stage together.

• Like 1

From someone that started playing guitar because of Izzy Stradlin, yes, he should be there at the same level than Axl, Slash and Duff. I really like Richard Fortus and I think he is a very decent guitar player, but Izzy IS Guns n roses, he wrote half of the songs and he rarely gets the credit he deserves. We don't really know why he isn't part of the reunion but, in my opinion, trying to make him appear as a hired hand is just an insult. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, JAxlMorrison said:

He knows more material, he seems a little more "with it" than Izzy (who seemed lost more often than not when they tried to bring back 14 Years,) and he's a better player all around. 

Also, I think Slash already prefers playing with Richard to Izzy...just the impression I get, from seeing them on stage together.

Judging from your comment and your signature you are more of a NuGuns fan and weren't even around back in the day. He knows more songs? He might have played CD songs that Izzy hasn't but I am willing to bet that the list of songs Izzy has played with the band is far longer than Richard's.

Izzy isn't lost.. Maybe he didn't feel comfortable on stage with 3 other guitarist and the rest of the circus of posers. He did the best he could with his guitar barely audible. He would be just fine after a rehearsal and a show under his belt.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Tom-Ass said:

Judging from your comment and your signature you are more of a NuGuns fan and weren't even around back in the day. He knows more songs? He might have played CD songs that Izzy hasn't but I am willing to bet that the list of songs Izzy has played with the band is far longer than Richard's.

Izzy isn't lost.. Maybe he didn't feel comfortable on stage with 3 other guitarist and the rest of the circus of posers. He did the best he could with his guitar barely audible. He would be just fine after a rehearsal and a show under his belt.

Uh no. I've been a Guns fan since I was 6 years old in 1987 when I first heard Mr. Brownstone. 

I understand feeling nostalgic for Izzy, and as someone said above, yes he did have a hand in writing some classics. But he doesn't have the live chops to perform at this level...same problem there was in 1991, but more magnified now as he is older and hasn't played the material since, other than a few guest slots with GNR and VR.

other than that, you're just making excuses. "Oh he wasn't comfortable with the posers." Yeah that's what it was. Keep telling yourself that. So why was his amp constantly turned down back in the day as well?

38 minutes ago, JAxlMorrison said:

So why was his amp constantly turned down back in the day as well?

It wasn't.. I know Uncle Axl told that great story in Boston 2002, I was there but you can't take everything old Axl says as Gospel.  Constantly turned down huh? I have listened and watched a shitload of bootlegs over the years and could always hear Izzy just fine on every one of them. If you can find otherwise, please post.

Ohhh.. So you were like 11 years old when they broke up lol... My sincere apologies :facepalm:

12 minutes ago, Tom-Ass said:

It wasn't.. I know Uncle Axl told that great story in Boston 2002, I was there but you can't take everything old Axl says as Gospel.  Constantly turned down huh? I have listened and watched a shitload of bootlegs over the years and could always hear Izzy just fine on every one of them. If you can find otherwise, please post.

Ohhh.. So you were like 11 years old when they broke up lol... My sincere apologies :facepalm:

Well if you consider 96 when Slash left and what, 98 when Duff left, I was 15-17 lol. 

But give me credit. I always stayed with GNR no matter where the trends went, as I'm sure the majority of us did.

2 minutes ago, JAxlMorrison said:

Well if you consider 96 when Slash left and what, 98 when Duff left, I was 15-17 lol. 

But give me credit. I always stayed with GNR no matter where the trends went, as I'm sure the majority of us did.

My reference point is always 1993 when they played their last show. But they did release SI after that I suppose. Ok, you get credit ;)

Would still love to see these examples of Izzy's amps constantly turned down. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Blackstar said:

I don't buy the theory that Ashba resigned because he is a big fan. I don't see a reason why he wouldn't want to share the stage with his idol. And I don't see how we would know, since they don't talk about stuff like that. We don't know about Sorum either. But as it can be reasonably speculated that Axl was the one who didn't want Sorum based on the fact that Slash and Duff are in good terms with him and that Axl has acknowledged Frank's loyalty, it can also be reasonably speculated that Ashba isn't there because of Slash based on the fact that Slash has shown he doesn't like him.

As for playing CD songs, I don't have a reason not to believe what both Axl and Duff said. Slither is in the setlist, maybe they will play it, maybe not.

Well, slither has in fact NOT made it into he Setlist before other Chinese songs. So my point there stands. My point about sorum also still stands because, as some want to believe this to be an equal partnership and not axls call, then majority vote wins. I would think slash and duff would vote Matt before Frank. 

Sure, maybe ashba does want to share the stage with his idol but frankly, between the fact he's so involved with sixx am becoming a full time gig, and he probably realized its one thing to cover your idol, but it's another to ask your idol to share his guitar parts. Seems like a combo of reasons for ashba, but considering Fernando confirmed in here that Axl was surprised about ashba quitting I'd say Dj walked out on his own. He owed that to the fans and to himself and it would have been too tough of a sell to continue with GNR. 

Slash and duff could have vetoed fortus for izzy or even gilby.. But they didn't. They allegedly could have vetoed Frank for sorum. But they didn't. They could have probably also just rid of the second keyboard player since GNR doesn't really need one and neither guy has a track record of playing with more than a keyboard player, if that. Yeah... They're managing this but it's axls band, and it's clear he had no interest in kicking anyone to the curb.

15 hours ago, The Glow Inc. said:

I think  you have to remember Slash and Duff were the guys who said "no thanks" to Izzy when he offered to front Velvet Revolver so it's not like they seem to consider him a vital piece of the puzzle to begin with...

I knew he toyed with being a part of the band but I didn't know it was for being the frontman of it

6 hours ago, Caught_in_a_Coma said:

I knew he toyed with being a part of the band but I didn't know it was for being the frontman of it

He didn't want to be a frontman Axl style, nor having a proper lead singer. He wanted to do something like he did with the Jujus but sharing vocal duties with Duff. Man, I can't help but think that would have been awesome.

• Like 2