Should Izzy be in the current band?

Id tend to agree with what Marc Canter said about the whole fact that izzy quit back in 1991, the partnership is Axl, Slash, and Duff.

therefore anyone else, including Steven and izzy would simply be hired hands. Due to this they couldn't come to terms with izzy as his payday would have been a fraction of what the others stand to pocket.

but to be honest, I'd say nobody outside the GNR camp knows why he isn't there, he could be unwell for all we know, or he simply just doesn't want to do it.

my money is on izzy wanting to see how professionally they handle the start of the tour (being on time etc) and he'll come on board later.

he sure deserves to be on the tour

39 minutes ago, rocknroll41 said:

I would like it if he were, but in what role exactly im not sure. I like Fortus, and therefore would like it if there was some way for Izzy, Slash, and Fortus to all be in the band at the same time. Idk how to make that work tho.

There is no way for that to work unless Izzy guested like Steve. Of the Two it is more realistic that Izzy could resume full time duties. 

4 minutes ago, Good, Fuck'n, Night. said:

Edited by Good, Fuck'n, Night.

It needs to start somewhere & guest spots would be a good start. I understand its a business decision & izzy chose to sell out his shares. These guys especially Axl are all financially set. There are not a lot of years left for this to play out, its one chance to cement the legacy & go out the right way. If some new music was to come out Izzy could contribute so much. A point of agreement must be able to be made somewhere. 

he will be. we are already gathering a group to descend upon the avocado ranch with our no avocado signs at the ready! signs with an avocado in a red circle with a red slash thru them! :lol: the avocadoes from Mexico have already glutted the market, his California avocadoes are obsolete!! 

Edited by AxlsFavoriteRose
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Original said:

If Izzy were back we'd be on a whole nother level of magic (which is hard to believe).  Fortus is doinng fine filling in however.  I don't mind him as much as in his showboat look at me Nu Guns days.  

"magic"...that's the word that keeps coming back and back and back! if the AFD5 reconcile what other magic will happen??? world peace? :)

21 minutes ago, Fitha_whiskey said:

If it could boil down to a Facebook relationship status, safe to say it would be "it's complicated"...

This so much. 

2-3 months ago I would have said yes it's unfair, especially if he was supposed to be just a hired hand. Right now it's alright, we have GNR doing great, based just on nostalgia but better than ever and Izzy is ok too. Unlike Steven you've never seen or heard Izzy bitching about not being in the band so...:shrugs:

Regardless, you can't change history and his contribution to the band will always be there whether he's in the current lineup or not.

• Like 1

The fact that the term current band has been used is very telling.  Do you want Guns n Roses, as someone who has heard Appetite and Lies would understand the term, the foundation upon which this mythological shit that we all feed upon comes from?  Well if you want that then you want Izzy Stradlin.  And Adler too for that matter.  It is what it is and it did what it did, if you want to blag yourself into believing that any of those ingredients was or is incidental then be my guest but you are only fooling yourself.

The fact that just Duff and Slash, the supposedly inferior musicians to all the other guys Axl has since had in, have changed the complexion and power and vibrancy of this music as this tour has clearly evidenced should tell you something.  If it doesn't well then there's nothing i can do for you I'm afraid.

Edited by Len Cnut
  • Like 4

I can't find the link but I was reading recently some legal papers showing that the partnership between Duff, Slash and Axl relate to the use of the logo. It was registered in 1993  and some of the transcripts show Slash signing off on the bullet artwork being used in new artwork for the 2007 tour. 

If Axl owned the name and could do what he wanted in terms of the band, Slash and Duff have both performed GnR songs over the years. It doesn't seem that the partnership had a bearing on what they were allowed perform within their own bands. I assume it would enable them to sign off on the use of the songs by other artists and how the song are represented in other media.

I would be interested to know what restrictions are on Izzy by not being a partner, other than financial. Can he freely perform GnR songs if he wanted too, does he have rights in how the songs are used or did this all go?

Sorry if I digress from the original question I'm trying to work out how he would gain by not being a touring member of the band, as that seems to have suited him up until now. 

Edited by Archtop

32 minutes ago, Archtop said:

I can't find the link but I was reading recently some legal papers showing that the partnership between Duff, Slash and Axl relate to the use of the logo. It was registered in 1993  and some of the transcripts show Slash signing off on the bullet artwork being used in new artwork for the 2007 tour. 

If Axl owned the name and could do what he wanted in terms of the band, Slash and Duff have both performed GnR songs over the years. It doesn't seem that the partnership had a bearing on what they were allowed perform within their own bands. I assume it would enable them to sign off on the use of the songs by other artists and how the song are represented in other media.

I would be interested to know what restrictions are on Izzy by not being a partner, other than financial. Can he freely perform GnR songs if he wanted too, does he have rights in how the songs are used or did this all go?

Sorry if I digress from the original question I'm trying to work out how he would gain by not being a touring member of the band, as that seems to have suited him up until now. 

Axl controlled rights to the name only, The three were always three way controlling partners in the original (real) GnR regardless of who was in the band. Axls NuGuns was a separate business / band. Axl quit the original partnership & took the rights to the name with him.  

• Like 2

As much as I love Izzy, I want to see what Axl, Duff and Slash can do without him. 
If we get a terrible new album (assuming we'll get one) then we'll all know that yes, we need Izzy in the band 'cause looking at these guys discographies after Guns N' Roses... Theres nothing really exciting about it. 

Some might say Izzy solo stuff is boring but it has the thing this band needs the most: Rock N' Roll. Not heavy metal, not nu metal, not industrial or Elton John. Rock N' Fuckin' Roll. Izzy's ideas combined with elements from Slash, Duff and Axl equals Guns N' Fuckin Roses. 

Edited by default_
  • Like 2