NEW INTERVIEW: Axl and Duff Interviewed by Brazilian TV: "Where's Izzy" / "How did the reunion come about" / "New album" all discussed

• highvoltage changed the title to NEW INTERVIEW: Axl and Duff Interviewed by Brazilian TV: "Where's Izzy" / "How did the reunion come about" / "New album" all discussed
8 minutes ago, Apollo said:
1 hour ago, Mararoyce said:

Emotional? Really? I think he was taking his time to answer in a way that wouldn't fuel the fire. It seems that hes aware how some of us feel about TB.

Interesting viewpoint. It's crazy how varied people's views are on Axl. Some say they love him because of his not giving a f*ck attitude and that he does whatever he wants.  But you think he would temper his answer about his "mom" and "family" so as not to upset a small group of posters on a fan forum? Wouldn't that make him a huge pussy? To refuse to give an honest answer about the person he considers his mom just so he wouldn't make 8 GnR nerds angry?

Huh... I took Mararoyce's comment as not so much Axl is tempering his words not wanting to upset fans, but watching what he says so fans will not take his comments and use them as even more ammunition to hate TB. Like he made sure to point out that the sped up tempo of the songs was a band decision and not Frank screwing up as so many liked to believe. I am probably wrong, but @Mararoyce  will have to clarify.

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, Nicklord said:

So basically Steven would be involved in tour if he was healthy. Bad luck I guess :( 

That's what it seems to me as well. But they didn't get too deep in the whole Adler thing. I guess just out to respect to Frank :shrugs:

That interview went WAY above my expectation. I didn't expect anything about the Axl/Slash reconciliation or the Izzy/Steven thing.

If you go back and watch Axl answering the Izzy question, he and Duff have eye contact the whole time. You can tell that felt awkward to answer for them.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Apollo said:

Interesting viewpoint. It's crazy how varied people's views are on Axl. Some say they love him because of his not giving a f*ck attitude and that he does whatever he wants.  But you think he would temper his answer about his "mom" and "family" so as not to upset a small group of posters on a fan forum? Wouldn't that make him a huge pussy? To refuse to give an honest answer about the person he considers his mom just so he wouldn't make 8 GnR nerds angry?

Ok. I hear you. I think Axl is a sensitive creature & I think he may not even be sure what the dynamic with TB is, but regarding if I think he is careful in his words (temper, if you will) it may be to not upset his "family", and to not give fans ammunition towards TB. To protect them, and himself, if you will. Is that being a pussy?

For the record, I didn't say 'huge pussy' , thats not my opinion of Axl, and I never said anything about him bowing down to a few GnR nerds. Peace.

Edited by Mararoyce

54 minutes ago, Tadsy said:

The interviewer did ok... i wouldnt say he was exceptional. He asked the new music question.. and all he had to do was be quiet and wait for an answer before he tried to back track and turn it into something else.

I didn't get he sense he was backtracking. I think he brought up them working on new music  to frame the question about how they felt about music being mostly digital these days. It was pretty much the State of the Music Industry question repeated in a different way (with the tid bit of implying they were working on new music for whoever was watching- the same as all fans have known since the China Exchange Q&A). 

Now I don't know why he felt the need to repeat the State of the Music Industry question. And speaking of the State if the Music Industry question: Did it seem to anyone else that Duff's reply to the first one got cut out? I wonder if it was cut because the interview ran long for the time slot.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, RONIN said:

Cool interview -- didn't seem like the typical fluff piece so kudos for that. Axl seemed a bit evasive (and sedated) -- Duff looked like he was following Axl's lead and seemed a bit nervous (imho). I didn't feel much camaraderie between Duff and Axl.I wonder if they were just tired or what the deal was -- I figured they'd be more energetic and vibing like old friends.

Re: reforming the band -- Zero enthusiasm on Axl's side, just a very clinical answer about the Coachella guy setting up the dates and then him calling up Slash, etc. 

*Re: Slash -- "What was it like to see Slash again? Awkward? ..." -- "Uh..we had dinner, then we went to rehearsals..." huh? How about -- "Well i hadn't seen him in 20 years -- it was great to see him again..." Just a strange way to answer that question considering you had just reconnected with an old friend again.

Re: band rehearsals -- Again, a strange reply from Axl. You'd think he'd talk about how it sounded great to hear them play together again -- that they hadn't lost a beat despite 20 years going by...nothing. Just a clinical answer like "we went to rehearsals. Slash and I had dinner. Duff and I hung out."

Re: Team Brazil - That portion was uncomfortable to watch. Just plain weird. He did not come off like a normal person at all when talking about this.

Re: Steven and Izzy - Super evasive, especially about Steven. Is he in or is he out dude? Again -- nothing about what it was like to play with Steven again after 25 years like "that was a lot of fun -- I had forgotten what it was like to play with him!" 

The vibe I get from this interview is that they haven't really patched up completely. It seems like more of a work in progress and they're just taking it a step at a time and trying to figure out things as they go. 

You're imposing your ideal answers onto Axl, lol. What he gave was fine.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Gackt said:

Probably the meds he's on

At least it's confirmed that GnR didn't screw Izzy, Izzy screwed Izzy

yeah, thats your conclusion

axl never said that

he said that HE DOESNT KNOW WHAT TO SAY ABOUT IZZY

he said that things seem to go one way and then the next day they go other way

the only thing that you can say about it is that THEY DIDNT REACH AN AGREEMENT

its not even clear if axl talked to izzy directly

all these disagreements may have been through lawyers or "axl people" or who knows who else talked to izzy

Great interview! Didn't pussy about and asked a lot of the questions that we've been wondering for a while. Also cracked me up how Slash wasn't there but there's this little shrine to Slash with a Les Paul and Marshall speaker in between Axl and Duff.

I have a feeling that we'll get an interview with all three or with Axl and Slash soon. With this reunion they like to build things gradually, giving a little bit of something before we get the whole thing.

Also liked how Steven and Izzy is a definite possibility if they can all line their shit up together. Come on Izzy, fight for it... We want you there man

• Like 3

Just now, ludurigan said:

yeah, thats your conclusion

axl never said that

he said that HE DOESNT KNOW WHAT TO SAY ABOUT IZZY

he said that things seem to go one way and then the next day they go other way

the only thing that you can say about it is that THEY DIDNT REACH AN AGREEMENT

its not even clear if axl talked to izzy directly

all these disagreements may have been through lawyers or "axl people" or who knows who else talked to izzy

Kind of reminded me of the making of Don't Cry video where Axl talks about the Izzy situation and how Izzy didn't want to be there, at least on the terms that existed between them. Although they're having issues you really have to give Axl credit, he doesn't shit on people. They may not be seeing eye to eye but Axl doesn't call names or tell stories.

I really want Izzy there, not only is he an essential component of the band chemistry I think it would be good for Axl. You can tell when relationships are strained that it takes a toll on him and his energy

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Mararoyce said:

Ok. I hear you. I think Axl is a sensitive creature & I think he may not even be sure what the dynamic with TB is, but regarding if I think he is careful in his words (temper, if you will) it may be to not upset his "family", and to not give fans ammunition towards TB. To protect them, and himself, if you will. Is that being a pussy?

For the record, I didn't say 'huge pussy' , thats not my opinion of Axl, and I never said anything about him bowing down to a few GnR nerds. Peace.

??

3 minutes ago, ludurigan said:

i agree that axl didnt shit on izzy on this interview

(but i guess you remember he spent like a year or something ranting about izzy onstage during the illusion tour)

I'm not saying he's perfect, but I can see that he is trying his best to be respectful and not make their issues public

3 hours ago, MrSoftie said:

Yeah the eyes is what caught my attention. And yeah after joking about Beta's family, when he tried to seriously answer the question he got very.. emotional.

Well, after all this time of being gnr fans, we do know one thing that is for certain, and it's that Axl is an extremely emotional and sensitive little guy :lol:

I just sum up a few of my thoughts:

The interviewer forgot a few question: where is slash? What about Matt and Gilby? When could we expect new music? Which music Will be on this record? Will you play new songs live in Brazil? Will there be a live dvd? What about old footage? Is there a chance for releasing stuff from 86-93?

Coachella was the main reason for a reunion? So you mean...MONEY was the real reason for a reunion.

The whole thing about calling slash, eating and playing with him sounds super professional. It seems like it's all about work between Axl and Slash. The whole story sounds very unemotional to me. Its all about business. Nothing more.

So...Steven could join the band on full term later on this tour?

And Izzy wanted to join first, but then he declined? It sounds like that to me.

Axl showed Slash and Duff the Rest of CD and this will/could be the new record?

Edited by maxpax

Well well this is very good. I've only read the transcription (thanks for that) so far but I'm going to watch the whole video interview later. Love that we heard the answers to the main questions...I hope the next interview will be with Slash

15 minutes ago, maxpax said:

I just sum up a few of my thoughts:

The interviewer forgot one question: where is slash?

Coachella was the main reason for a reunion? So you mean...MONEY was the real reason for a reunion.

The whole thing about calling slash, eating and playing with him sounds super professional. It seems like it's all about work between Axl and Slash. The whole story sounds very unemotional to me. Its all about business. Nothing more.

So...Steven could join the band on full term later on this tour?

And Izzy wanted to join first, but then he declined? It sounds like that to me.

Axl showed Slash and Duff the Rest of CD and this will/could be the new record?

Reunions are always about money. And if we want to really get technical, the original formation of GN'R was a business decision in the first place. These guys were all band-hopping on the Sunset Strip back in the day and decided that the Appetite 5 was the best chance they had of success (aka MONEY). 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, GNRfan2008 said:

Reunions are always about money. And if we want to really get technical, the original formation of GN'R was a business decision in the first place. These guys were all band-hopping on the Sunset Strip back in the day and decided that the Appetite 5 was the best chance they had of success (aka MONEY). 

Yeah, sure. But if you argument like that...Then they should have reunite sooner...

• Like 1