NEW INTERVIEW: Axl and Duff Interviewed by Brazilian TV: "Where's Izzy" / "How did the reunion come about" / "New album" all discussed

59 minutes ago, Apollo said:

Agree with all that except for number two. 

Axl said thoughts of the regrouping started when the Coachella guy started floating the idea of GnR playing (and making a reported 7 million dollars) and then Axl said something about his people gauging the interest out there or a reunion tour. That pretty much cements that this thing was initiated by the money. Axl is probably going to being home close to 50 million dollars over an 18-month period. 

Also, the "they would have done it ten years ago" theory doesn't really make sense, IMO. 

Axl was knee deep in Chinese Democracy and that band. There was no way he was going to end Round One by dropping his current band and album and bringing Slash back. That would have been Axl admitting defeat and that he couldn't make it without Slash and Duff. 

And Slash and Duff were extremely busy as well. Velvet Revolver was actually more successful than GnR was at the time. Their first album outsold CD. They won a Grammy. Then Duff had Loaded and numerous side projects. Slash grabbed Myles and has had a fairly successful solo run. 

So not regrouping earlier had nothing to do with money and everything to do with what the big three were doing with their careers. 

Fast forward to 2014-2015. CD has been out for 7-8 years. GnR has become a revolving door of members. Axl has no interest in releasing songs that DJ Ashba helped create. Loaded can only draw 250 people a show. And Slash is only playing to a couple thousand people a show. And is going through an expensive divorce. 

The timing was perfect to start looking into a reunion. Ten years ago the timing was horrible. 

So perfect timing and the chance for the Big Three to make 30-to-75 million dollars apiece? MSL claimed that Axl could make in the 100 million dollar range. 

So why a reunion now? Money. Timing. Chance to heal old wounds. Fun time of playing again with the best rock band of our generation. Probably in that order. 

And honestly that's perfectly ok. As fans we shouldn't care why they got back together. I don't care if Axl and Slash hate each other. I don't care if they are only doing it for the money.  And I don't care if Axl makes a billion dollars to do it. 

As fans, all we should care about is the music and live performances. That's what is important. Not whether or not Slash and Axl are best buddies and not the motivation for getting back together. Those things belong to band members - not us. 

Fair point there, awesome comment, agreed 101% thank you for disagreeing pal. Didn't think of that while I was writting it.

1 hour ago, Apollo said:

Axl said thoughts of the regrouping started when the Coachella guy started floating the idea of GnR playing (and making a reported 7 million dollars) and then Axl said something about his people gauging the interest out there or a reunion tour. That pretty much cements that this thing was initiated by the money. Axl is probably going to being home close to 50 million dollars over an 18-month period. 

Also, the "they would have done it ten years ago" theory doesn't really make sense, IMO. 

Axl was knee deep in Chinese Democracy and that band. There was no way he was going to end Round One by dropping his current band and album and bringing Slash back. That would have been Axl admitting defeat and that he couldn't make it without Slash and Duff. 

And Slash and Duff were extremely busy as well. Velvet Revolver was actually more successful than GnR was at the time. Their first album outsold CD. They won a Grammy. Then Duff had Loaded and numerous side projects. Slash grabbed Myles and has had a fairly successful solo run. 

So not regrouping earlier had nothing to do with money and everything to do with what the big three were doing with their careers. 

Fast forward to 2014-2015. CD has been out for 7-8 years. GnR has become a revolving door of members. Axl has no interest in releasing songs that DJ Ashba helped create. Loaded can only draw 250 people a show. And Slash is only playing to a couple thousand people a show. And is going through an expensive divorce. 

The timing was perfect to start looking into a reunion. Ten years ago the timing was horrible. 

So perfect timing and the chance for the Big Three to make 30-to-75 million dollars apiece? MSL claimed that Axl could make in the 100 million dollar range. 

So why a reunion now? Money. Timing. Chance to heal old wounds. Fun time of playing again with the best rock band of our generation. Probably in that order. 

And honestly that's perfectly ok. As fans we shouldn't care why they got back together. I don't care if Axl and Slash hate each other. I don't care if they are only doing it for the money.  And I don't care if Axl makes a billion dollars to do it. 

As fans, all we should care about is the music and live performances. That's what is important. Not whether or not Slash and Axl are best buddies and not the motivation for getting back together. Those things belong to band members - not us. 

Good points about 10 years ago. Axl had to release CD and he was concentrated on that, and Slash-Duff had VR (although there were problems despite the success). In 2010 though the timing would be good for a reunion (2 years after CD's release and VR without a singer), and even more in 2012 with the occasion of the RHOF induction, but Axl was adamant against it.

This was more than I expected! It feels like Guns is really a band again. Just seeing Duff and Axl sitting together is great.

They both seemed fine to me, maybe a bit tense, but that's understandable. And maybe Axl is on meds, but whatever, if he is, it's because he needs to be and nothing else would really matter.

At this point I don't care why they got back together, it would be naive to think money didn't play a part, but that doesn't detract from what's happening imo.

2 hours ago, Apollo said:

Great arguments! And this MONEY thing can explain some reasons why Izzy is relutant with the reunion

• Like 1

11 hours ago, megaguns1982 said:

Isn't it March april and May are spring in the USA? If that's the case it makes perfect sense in the timeline why bumble and ash a left in june July? 

Then Axl put the wheels in motion in October 

if that was the order Axl put it - yes.

though the way I understood, he didn't meet Slash before Oct 2015, due to Slash touring, and then they discussed the tour following spring, which would make it spring 2016 when they already toured.

that is the odd part.

I kinda got the impression Duff was a little reluctant to answer ahead of Axl in case he said the wrong things. Like he was backup for the less contentious questions.

An Axl/Slash interview would be an interesting dynamic for that reason. I'm sure there would be a few glances at each other ahead of any answers to make sure they're on the same page lol

21 minutes ago, shotsfired cro said:

if that was the order Axl put it - yes.

though the way I understood, he didn't meet Slash before Oct 2015, due to Slash touring, and then they discussed the tour following spring, which would make it spring 2016 when they already toured.

that is the odd part.

Yeah i got confused too but i Think he meant spring 2015 and finally got to meet him oct 2015.

4 hours ago, melonhead87 said:

Sorum is a douche. Cant get along with lead singers (Axl/Weiland) either

the fact that slash has chosen him a few times as Drummer says it all. Matt was perfect for uyi and Steven perfect for afd. Both had great memorable moments...can you Name one song on CD where you have a memorable drum moment by brain or frank? No..you can't...there were even a lot of tracks where we asked: wait...is it a drum machine?

• Like 4

15 minutes ago, TheSeeker said:

So was Bumblefoot full of shit when he said he knew a reunion was happening in 2014?

No, he wasn't. As I understood it, the negotiations between their managers and with promoters about Coachella had started earlier and in spring 2015 Axl decided to call Slash. Probably they talked another couple of times on the phone and they finally got to meet in October 2015.

Edited by Blackstar

Just watched the interview on blabbermouth.net.

Very cool to see Axl and Duff together again.

So glad Axl invited Slash and Duff over for dinner and got this reunion going.

Loved Duff's stories about his 16 and 18 year old daughters.  It's good they keep him informed on the music scene of today.

I think I heard Axl say something about promoting the reunion, but things happened that got in the way of that.

anyway, it was a very informative interview.

3 hours ago, Modano09 said:

Of interest...

Axl doesn't seem to know what's going on in the music industry these days, or at the very least didn't understand the question. 

Speeding up the tempo of old songs was a conscience decision by Duff, Slash and Frank.

Axl seems to confirm that Izzy's flaky and he won't commit. 

Yeah he doesnt seem to keep up with anything relevant in music. I was surprised at his live music comment or lack of ever watching concerts live in person. Whereas Duff is the opposite of that.