NEW INTERVIEW: Axl and Duff Interviewed by Brazilian TV: "Where's Izzy" / "How did the reunion come about" / "New album" all discussed

12 hours ago, Blackstar said:

No. Google something like "Slash twitter happy birthday Axl" and you'll see it. And Axl said in the interview that he asked for Slash's number and called him.

Bravo slash!

10 hours ago, Changes said:

Something I noticed was that Axl didn't contact Duff about Slash's number but asked Fernando to find it instead. And when he talks about  the dinner with Slash he says "and then we hung out just a week later or so", or something along those lines, to Duff. It struck me because everyone seem to assume that Duff worked hard to get Axl to talk to Slash again but the way Axl describes it, it seems like he didn't have Duff in mind when it happened and he even talks about them hanging out as an event similar to the dinner with Slash. 

This

Edited by Italian girl

2 hours ago, Changes said:

Something I noticed was that Axl didn't contact Duff about Slash's number but asked Fernando to find it instead. And when he talks about  the dinner with Slash he says "and then we hung out just a week later or so", or something along those lines, to Duff. It struck me because everyone seem to assume that Duff worked hard to get Axl to talk to Slash again but the way Axl describes it, it seems like he didn't have Duff in mind when it happened and he even talks about them hanging out as an event similar to the dinner with Slash. 

Interesting, I also thought it was funny that Axl didn't know Slash was on tour at the time. 

The Fernando getting Slash's number seems like an irrelevant fact to simply set up the joke of Beta saying "if this is a joke I'm going to..."

because obviously Beta and Fernando knew that Slash was going to be involved when the Coachella promoter called. I mean you don't call Axl directly to talk about that you have to go through Fernando or Beta. 

So I think they knew about Coachella but Axl had likely left them at "let me think about it" then time passes and one day Beta gets the call from Fernando that "Axl is ready to talk to Slash" I imagined this was a shocking moment for them but one they knew was possible and so they made it all happen. 

However I've said before that as important as Duff was in all this it ultimately came down to one person to make this happen and he did it. It's been great for everyone so for the first time in a while Axl has to feel like he made the right choice here. So many good things have taken place for him this year.

I think Slash was instrumental in getting Axl to make the ACDC call, if you ever listen to a lot of Slash's interviews he is always asked about playing with huge artist and he said the only way to do these things is just reach out and put yourself out there, he said he never really knows if he can pull whatever it is he's doing off but you're going to miss every opportunity if you don't put yourself out there and take the chance. So I do wonder if Axl had talked to Slash about Brian leaving ACDC and gotten courage from an unlikely source...I just have always related Axl's story to how he got the ball rolling with ACDC to stories Slash has told about working with big name artist. 

But yea Axl, Duff and Slash seem to bring out the best in each other even if it's not GNR related. Hope this last many more years.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, DieselDaisy said:

I just buy music on compact disc and vinyl the same way I used to twenty years ago. I cannot get my head around the concept of only possessing music as a file on a computer or gadget - particularly if I'm buying the thing; I cannot comprehend the concept - cannot get my head round it. Somebody did buy me an Ipod and I only used it a few times before putting it on my shelf where it still lies today, gathering dust (in my defense I'm not a great one for listening to music outside, traveling etc.)

I feel you. I only buy CDs. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, oaka said:

I feel you. I only buy CDs. 

I still do too, and then rip then into itunes and upload them to the Amazon cloud. I was actually thinking when watching that, that Guns would still sell a good amount of CD's due to their demographic of fans. I know they have fans of all ages but I would say most are easily late 30's early 40's and even some rock fans that don't usually buy CD's anymore would probably buy it if they liked the Guns back in the day. 

• Like 3

On ‎9‎/‎5‎/‎2016 at 5:25 PM, Tadsy said:

Yeah i just got the feeling that the interviewer asked the new music questtion and then thought " hang on... i shouldnt have asked that.. so he then modified the question"... i could be completely wrong, thats just how it seemed to me.

There was some very obvious "cuts" in the interview... for what reason... well thats up for debate... :P

All in all... i think the answers Axl and Duff gave will put a few things to bed, for instance, steven clearly isnt physically up to a full tour but if he can get a few shows in.. then thats a big possibility. As for Izzy... well.. Axl all but confirmed that he doesnt even know what is going to happen with Izzy. I really hope the fans lay off the "where's Izzy" signs at future concerts, its getting a bit beyond it now.. if Izzy can come to an agreement with Axl about what he wants to do.. im sure Axl and the group will accomodate him, it sure sounds like Axl is open to all possibilities.

Axl is a blow hard... Duff and Slash are tools, and I thought that in 91

Preview%202.jpg

• Like 2

56 minutes ago, Hollywood Gunner said:

you can feel the chemistry between duff and axl in that interview... compare that to an interview with axl and any of the guys that joined post afd... if you can find one

Totally agree! You can tell it wasn't forced and they both felt very comfortable. With their history and obvious love for each other, it's not so hard to fathom but still nice to see. 

If an interview exists with Axl and any other post AFD members where he's that at ease, I've never seen it.

38 minutes ago, Oldest Goat said:

Just for the record; I will buy the fuck out of the new record.

The. fuck. Out. Of. It.

if its a GNR album, i will buy on the minute it gets released

i think a lot of pepole will do sort of the same

if its threeunion album, i will have to listen first

1 hour ago, Hollywood Gunner said:

you can feel the chemistry between duff and axl in that interview... compare that to an interview with axl and any of the guys that joined post afd... if you can find one

I don't know if I'd call it "chemistry" but you definitely get a sense of the trust in their relationship. I think Duff just gets Axl and Axl trusts Duff.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, ludurigan said:

if its a GNR album, i will buy on the minute it gets released

i think a lot of pepole will do sort of the same

if its threeunion album, i will have to listen first

Really? Axl, Slash and Duff isn't enough for you? Jesus, for 20 years nothing Axl could do counted because it had to have Slash, now we have Slash and Duff and it's "meh" because the guy that was fired in 1990 and the guy that quit in 1991/1992 aren't involved? This whole thing is so ridiculous to me. For years it was "it's not GNR without Slash". Now Slash is back and "it's not GNR without Steven and Izzy". If Steven and Izzy come back what will people complain about? It's not GNR without Tracy and Roberta? 

• Like 4

10 minutes ago, Modano09 said:

Really? Axl, Slash and Duff isn't enough for you? Jesus, for 20 years nothing Axl could do counted because it had to have Slash, now we have Slash and Duff and it's "meh" because the guy that was fired in 1990 and the guy that quit in 1991/1992 aren't involved? This whole thing is so ridiculous to me. For years it was "it's not GNR without Slash". Now Slash is back and "it's not GNR without Steven and Izzy". If Steven and Izzy come back what will people complain about? It's not GNR without Tracy and Roberta? 

i am not sure what you are talking about when you say that "for 20 years nothing Axl could do counted because it had to have Slash". i dont know who told you that and i dont know if you agree or not, but the problem with axl solo era was never the absence of slash -- it was the absence of good music and good songs

my problem with these guys solo careers is very simple

axl, slash and duff have released VERY FEW GOOD SONGS on the last 20 years

VERY FEW GOOD SONGS

= axl has released an album that is barely listenable

= slash has released a lot of albums and they all have great riffs and solos but songwise there are not many great songs on them

= duff has released some cool albums, but nothing really special songwise

= the threeunion live shows are great in the sense that you can kinda tell they are having fun onstage but it got old pretty fast. most important than that, the 4 hired hands are RUINING the songs (hey, i know a lot of people are enjoying it, but I am not)

so why on earth would I be in a rush to listen to a threeunion album?

SPECIALLY with 4 non-GNR people (ok, 3 and 1/2 non-gnr people since Dizzy was sort of OK on UYI) ruining the fun?

gimme axl, izzy, slash, duff and steven (ok, i can do wit another drummer) and i wanna listen to everything they do together. To this day, these guys have never released ONE bad song.

NOT A SINGLE FUCKING BAD SONG

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Blackstar said:

The reunion timeline must have gone like this:

2014:

- Duff joins NuGnR.

- Proposal from Coachella organizers.. Axl decides to explore the option of a reunion and sends his people to talk (Duff must have had a crucial part on Axl's decision).

- Talks and negotiations start between their managers, lawyers, promoters, etc which extend to the possibility of a reunion tour.

2015:

- February: Slash tweets Axl Happy Birthday.

- Spring: Axl calls Slash while he's on tour with The Conspirators and they talk on the phone for the first time. Some days later, Axl and Duff meet and talk about the reunion.

- August: Slash says on Swedish TV that he and Axl talk and that the animosity between them has ended.

- September: Steven says that he hasn't been approached about a reunion and talks bitterly about Slash and Duff.

- October: Axl and Slash meet for the first time at Axl's house. After that, they start planning the details of the reunion and the tour.

- In the meantime, there have been agreements for licensing songs, e.g. for the BBC documentary which aired in December.

- December: Hints to the upcoming reunion on GnR official site and Star Wars trailer.

2016:

- January: Reunion officially announced. Axl, Slash and Duff are confirmed but no details about the rest of the lineup.

----

Questions:

- At what point there were talks with Izzy and how long they lasted.

- When Steven's involvement was decided.

I will agree with this. Those are the only two questions I have, really 

44 minutes ago, Modano09 said:

You don't get it, do you? Izzy Stradlin' is the principal songwriter of the band. The so called big 3 NEED him to actually make a real GnR album. Otherwise you basically have Axl's bloated ballads and Slash's cock rock driving any future album with no rock n' roll element to ground them. They need Izzy to provide the foundation for them to build on. Without him, they crashed and burned after the UYI tour -- nu guns and velvet revolver are a piss stain compared to real guns. 25 fucking years of this shit -- you'd think those 3 would have learned how valuable Izzy is to the band.

Edited by RONIN
  • Like 3

14 hours ago, Nikki_Sixx said:

I can give you about a hundred examples of shows where Axl shits all over Izzy in public ...

Yeah and as a fan since 88 I'm pretty sure Ive seen most of what you're referring to. I guess it depends on whether you want to see the positive or the negative in people, or criticise them for everything they said in anger going decades back. Seems pretty obvious to me from the video that Axl at least wants to remain respectful to Izzy and not shit on people

12 hours ago, RONIN said:

Well... let's not go that far. Beta's feelings about Slash pre-reunion were not that great and she certainly played her part in widening the rift between Slash and Axl all these years. "Beggars and hangers on"

How much of it do we know is true though? What happened to the rumour that she would quit if Axl reunited with Slash? Also I'm pretty sure Axl is capable of thinking and acting how he chooses. It says in the interview Axl wanted Slash's number. Beta and Fernando get him the number. Axl calls and gets the band back together....  How did Team Brazil get in the way of what Axl wanted?

What were Beta's feelings about Slash pre-reunion?

2 minutes ago, RONIN said:

Who stood to gain the most once Axl separated from his band of brothers in the 90's? The Brazilian leeches who continue to run the GnR brand into the ground.

Axl is capable of thinking and acting how he chooses and he sure made some bad decisions back in the day. This is the same guy that flushed a fortune down the toilet for some psychic named Yoda to tell him about his past lives. He's a 54 year old with a full-time nanny. 

They are reuniting now because the money is too good to pass up and nu-guns was on life support by 2014 -- if Axl makes a ton of cash, it only benefits TB. And he won't kick them out now after 20 + years because they're his only family. In other words, they had nothing to lose with Slash joining the fold again. Giant payday guaranteed and the GnR brand is resurrected from the dead despite their awful mismanagement of band affairs. 

Anyone with an iota of objectivity should be able to see TB for what they really are.

I used to be angry like you but there's something about a band getting over a 20+ year grudge that made me think that I should too

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, RONIN said:

You don't get it, do you? Izzy Stradlin' is the principal songwriter of the band. The so called big 3 NEED him to actually make a real GnR album. Otherwise you basically have Axl's bloated ballads and Slash's cock rock driving any future album with no rock n' roll element to ground them. They need Izzy to provide the foundation for them to build on. Without him, they crashed and burned after the UYI tour -- nu guns and velvet revolver are a piss stain compared to real guns. 25 fucking years of this shit -- you'd think those 3 would have learned how valuable Izzy is to the band.

I can't name any valuable song written by Izzy alone, after gnr....

:)

2 minutes ago, Italian girl said:

I can't name any valuable song written by Izzy alone, after gnr....

:)

drove, easy, chop away, sweet caress, rolling on, gotta say, raven, partly cloud, seems to me, shuffle it all, tijuana, old tune, baby rann

there is more -- five star top class rock n roll

• Like 2

On September 6, 2016 at 0:55 AM, nztop said:

I have just went in wrong direction in my comment, which I admit there that tha is not my bussines. But when you replied, I must tell that I have been searching for a "right" woman and I could have do that 2 or 20 years more, but then I would turn 50 which worried me. Therefore when I got stabilized with job and finances a bit, I have decided that's enough of waiting and kids were something I wanted really bad and I wanted to be at least relatively young for my kids, I have got married a woman that I was dating for three years at the time. She was not completely  "right" in a sence what I was dreaming about to be trully honest, also we do not get a long perfectly and  I'm not perfect neighter, but we managed somehow. As reward I have gained something "right". I have two kids now (third on the way), I have my hobbies to be creative, I have running and gym to clean my head, I have my job, my head is in the place and true love and happiness I have found in my children. "Right one" Appeares ocasionally in my head and nothing prevents me to dream and to make songs about her ocasionally...But now I have new focuses in life.

Wow, kudos for opening up here on the forum. I'd like to think Axl could've made babies a number of different ways, other than with the traditional wife. Egg donors, surrogates, etc...but maybe he doesn't want them. I don't believe a man gets to the age of 54 without thinking about it off and on. There are a number reasons why he may not want them, but with that being said, it would be nice to have some Axl-ites running around.

5 hours ago, Tom-Ass said:

I still do too, and then rip then into itunes and upload them to the Amazon cloud. I was actually thinking when watching that, that Guns would still sell a good amount of CD's due to their demographic of fans. I know they have fans of all ages but I would say most are easily late 30's early 40's and even some rock fans that don't usually buy CD's anymore would probably buy it if they liked the Guns back in the day. 

Yeah I totally agree.  Even when CD was released, people were already using digital downloads and no one was buying records.  But they sold plenty of CD's and records of that album.

If there was a weak point of the interview...that was it.  The interviewer clearly was at least somewhat out of touch with this  band's fanbase.  Of course GN'R fans will buy the CD and record...and Duff somewhat alluded to that with the Jett reference.

1 hour ago, GibsonLP said:

I used to be angry like you but there's something about a band getting over a 20+ year grudge that made me think that I should too

I'm not angry -- honestly, what exactly can we say about Team Brazil objectively? Axl is a 54 year old with a live-in nanny named Beta. Beta and her son Fernando are managing Guns N' Roses while Duff and Slash have professional management like most normal artists. 

Under Beta's management, GnR were playing clubs, birthday parties, bowling alleys and even had a residency in vegas a la fat Elvis.

By even the most generous evaluation, TB was mediocre at best. Most fans in this forum including many nu guns fans were hardly enthusiastic about their management of GnR. Objectively, they were dreadful at running the band's affairs. Then again, when you have your nanny and her son managing one of the biggest bands in the world , what else can you expect?

• Like 4