NEW INTERVIEW: Axl and Duff Interviewed by Brazilian TV: "Where's Izzy" / "How did the reunion come about" / "New album" all discussed

10 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

I cannot fathom anyone loving and respecting 'Shotgun Blues' beyond Slash's leads.

And I can't fathom voting for that, The Garden, or Garden of Eden as some of their worst songs..... but 'I can't fathom' isn't exactly an argument one way or another.

Edited by AxlCole

8 minutes ago, AxlCole said:

Yes, there is a reason for that: it's called 'translation'.  Speaking from experience, the reason you choose which songs you play live is... outside of if they are hit singles.... usually based on whether or not you think they translate well live vs their recorded versions, and has little to do with whether you think they are your 'best' songs or not.  Mind you, this is not a list of 'b' material from the Illusion records, or 'filler'.  They're largely songs that are generally considered to be some of the best on the records. 

8 minutes ago, AxlCole said:

Mind you, the chief reason some of those songs were hardly played live is because they are nearly impossible to sing.

Do you REALLY think Axl insists on playing This I Love live because 'it translates well live vs its recorded version' ??? 

He doesn't give a fuck.  They just pick the songs THEY think rock the hardest or they enjoy playing live the most (+ the hits), and hey, surprise surprise, most of those are Izzy co-writes !

26 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

I cannot fathom anyone loving and respecting 'Shotgun Blues' beyond Slash's leads.

You would be sorely mistaken :)

One of the very rare occasions I disagree with you.

29 minutes ago, Blackstar said:

Yes, there is a reason, or, to be accurate, reasons, because each case is different. And the reasons are not that they are bad songs.

Locomotive and Don't Damn Me are very very difficult songs to be sung live, more difficult than Coma (the live performances of Locomotive and Coma in 1991-92 are indicative of that).

Get In The Ring is another story. They made the mistake to personalize it, and they would have been ridiculed if they had kept on challenging Bob Guccione Jr to "get in the ring" while they hadn't had the intention to do it.

No one said that they were bad songs.  GNR doesn't have any 'bad' songs in my opinion.

8 minutes ago, Nikki_Sixx said:

Mind you, the chief reason some of those songs were hardly played live is because they are nearly impossible to sing.

Do you REALLY think Axl insists on playing This I Love live because 'it translates well live vs its recorded version' ??? 

He doesn't give a fuck.  They just pick the songs THEY think rock the hardest or they enjoy playing live the most (+ the hits), and hey, surprise surprise, most of those are Izzy co-writes !

I said 'usually', not 'solely' or 'always'.  Of course they also choose ones that they particularly enjoy doing live for whatever reason (a particular sentiment, a particular lead Slash likes to play live, balancing the set, and on and on).  The point is, Daisy was insinuating that they aren't played live because they aren't good songs, or as strong as some of the others they have performed live, which is a pretty ridiculous, and baseless aside from personal taste, assertion.

Just now, AxlCole said:

I said 'usually', not 'solely' or 'always'.  Of course they also choose ones that they particularly enjoy doing live for whatever reason (a particular sentiment, a particular lead Slash likes to play live, balancing the set, and on and on).  The point is, Daisy was insinuating that they aren't played live because they aren't good songs, or as strong as some of the others they have performed live, which is a pretty ridiculous, and baseless aside from personal taste, assertion.

It wasn't me who said that. I merely said that quite a few on that non-Stradlin list stink.

1 minute ago, DieselDaisy said:

It wasn't me who said that. I merely said that quite a few on that non-Stradlin list stink.

Right, Nikki insinuated it, but saying 'quite a few on that non-Stradlin list stink' is a matter of saying the same thing in a different way.  And just as wrongly.

20 minutes ago, AxlCole said:

Right, Nikki insinuated it, but saying 'quite a few on that non-Stradlin list stink' is a matter of saying the same thing in a different way.  And just as wrongly.

I didn't insinuate anything :lol:

I merely said there's a reason why those songs were hardly played live.   I explained that reason above.

Coincidence has it that most songs that work well live, or are band favourites, are Izzy (co-)writes.

8 hours ago, vicson said:

Izzy this, Izzy that... Izzy is a nomad. He doesn't give much shit about Gnr. If he would he would be there. He doesn't like touring, commiting, blabla. Axl's answer from the interview and especially Duff's look when Axl talked about Izzy says it all. They cannot rely on him. Simple as that. They would like to but it's not possible. 

thats just YOUR CONCLUSION

and it sounds FAR -- VERY FAR -- from the truth

All that Axl said is that they didnt reach an agreement.

He never said Izzy wa unreliable, or that Izy didnt want to tour.

On the other hand, Marc Canter said that Izzy would be willing to do a reunion with the five guys

why didnt it happen?

NO ONE KNOWS

= maybe because axl offered a 2-song guest spot to izzy?

= maybe because axl wants to keep that richard dude (and the hired hands) on the band and izzy would like to do an actual GNR reunion?

= maybe its a matter of money?

= maybe izzy would like to have a say on things and axl didnt offer him that?

(by the way, when I say AXL, please read AXL PEOPLE, because at this point we dont even know if Axl talked directly to izzy or if it was "his people" who talked to Izzy)

so the question remains

Preview%202.jpg

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, ludurigan said:

thats just YOUR CONCLUSION

and it sounds FAR -- VERY FAR -- from the truth

All that Axl said is that they didnt reach an agreement.

He never said Izzy wa unreliable, or that Izy didnt want to tour.

On the other hand, Marc Canter said that Izzy would be willing to do a reunion with the five guys

why didnt it happen?

NO ONE KNOWS

= maybe because axl offered a 2-song guest spot to izzy?

= maybe because axl wants to keep that richard dude (and the hired hands) on the band and izzy would like to do an actual GNR reunion?

= maybe its a matter of money?

= maybe izzy would like to have a say on things and axl didnt offer him that?

(by the way, when I say AXL, please read AXL PEOPLE, because at this point we dont even know if Axl talked directly to izzy or if it was "his people" who talked to Izzy)

so the question remains

Preview%202.jpg

Izzy didn't show up for the Hall of Fame ceremony, so, maybe a huge, year or two long stadium tour isn't his jam either? He was quoted as saying it took him weeks to recover from a couple of weeks playing with GNR in 2006. 

Edited by Modano09

1 hour ago, Nikki_Sixx said:

I didn't insinuate anything :lol:

I merely said there's a reason why those songs were hardly played live.   I explained that reason above.

Coincidence has it that most songs that work well live, or are band favourites, are Izzy (co-)writes.

By coincidence ofcourse, you mean that Izzy is the best songwriter in the band ;)

Edited by RONIN

41 minutes ago, slipnslider said:

The one huge thing the interviewer missed asking is:  "But what made you change from thinking "slash is a cancer" to thinking "let me call him up.?"

That's the thing we're all dying to know.  20 years of resentment and hatred just goes poof one day?

Slash signing off on Appetite for Democracy was big, Axl hitting a roadblock with nuguns was big, Duff being in Axl's ear for the SA tour was big, I think it was a culmination of these things and like Axl said when the Coachella promoter made it seem possible it was up to Axl at that point to reach out and get the ball rolling. 

Now still that's a big jump from Axl saying "the ball isn't in my court, this is a war and I'm just surviving it" in 2012 or whatever he said.  To now "hey Slash let's have dinner" in 2014....so yea there has to be something more. Something changed, someone did something that's not being talked about 

1 hour ago, IncitingChaos said:

Slash signing off on Appetite for Democracy was big, Axl hitting a roadblock with nuguns was big, Duff being in Axl's ear for the SA tour was big, I think it was a culmination of these things and like Axl said when the Coachella promoter made it seem possible it was up to Axl at that point to reach out and get the ball rolling. 

Now still that's a big jump from Axl saying "the ball isn't in my court, this is a war and I'm just surviving it" in 2012 or whatever he said.  To now "hey Slash let's have dinner" in 2014....so yea there has to be something more. Something changed, someone did something that's not being talked about 

3 words: KING OF BEERS

8 hours ago, Modano09 said:

Izzy didn't show up for the Hall of Fame ceremony, so, maybe a huge, year or two long stadium tour isn't his jam either? He was quoted as saying it took him weeks to recover from a couple of weeks playing with GNR in 2006. 

Izzy seems to have clarified the matter for us

so now you can be sure that it wasnt because he didnt want to tour

https://twitter.com/IzzyStradlin999

• Like 1

20 hours ago, ludurigan said:

i am not sure what you are talking about when you say that "for 20 years nothing Axl could do counted because it had to have Slash". i dont know who told you that and i dont know if you agree or not, but the problem with axl solo era was never the absence of slash -- it was the absence of good music and good songs

my problem with these guys solo careers is very simple

axl, slash and duff have released VERY FEW GOOD SONGS on the last 20 years

VERY FEW GOOD SONGS

= axl has released an album that is barely listenable

= slash has released a lot of albums and they all have great riffs and solos but songwise there are not many great songs on them

= duff has released some cool albums, but nothing really special songwise

= the threeunion live shows are great in the sense that you can kinda tell they are having fun onstage but it got old pretty fast. most important than that, the 4 hired hands are RUINING the songs (hey, i know a lot of people are enjoying it, but I am not)

so why on earth would I be in a rush to listen to a threeunion album?

SPECIALLY with 4 non-GNR people (ok, 3 and 1/2 non-gnr people since Dizzy was sort of OK on UYI) ruining the fun?

gimme axl, izzy, slash, duff and steven (ok, i can do wit another drummer) and i wanna listen to everything they do together. To this day, these guys have never released ONE bad song.

NOT A SINGLE FUCKING BAD SONG

Bullsh!t... My World... Drops the mike and leaves

1 hour ago, Matt13 said:

:popcorn:

Fighter Pilot Money

29 minutes ago, ludurigan said:

Izzy seems to have clarified the matter for us

so now you can be sure that it wasnt because he didnt want to tour

https://twitter.com/IzzyStradlin999

Aw yes, it was only because the 3 guys who put the work into maintaining the GNR brand for 25 years and making this reunion tour happen didn't want to give the guy who quit 25 years ago equal money. 

17 minutes ago, Modano09 said:

Aw yes, it was only because the 3 guys who put the work into maintaining the GNR brand for 25 years and making this reunion tour happen didn't want to give the guy who quit 25 years ago equal money. 

Seems to me this is one of those situations where there's one side, another side and somewhere in the middle lies the truth. I don't really know about this one.

My thing is why would the money be split evenly? I mean, it's true Izzy is one of the original five members and a MAJOR contributor to both AFD and UYI. But the fact is he, just like Steven, would've only been brought in for a few guest spots, unless Fortus was going to sit the entire tour out so Izzy could step in. That being said, why should he be paid the same amount as Axl, Slash, Duff or any current member playing the entire set of every show?

Edited by Kara

17 minutes ago, Modano09 said:

While that may be true to some extent...

The 6 years Izzy put into the band kind of, well sort of, maybe.....helped create the GnR brand in the first place.

You can't fault Izzy for asking to be compensated in the same manner as the other three

2 minutes ago, FuriousStyles said:

The 6 years Izzy put into the band kind of, well sort of, maybe.....helped create the GnR brand in the first place.

You can't fault Izzy for asking to be compensated in the same manner as the other three

Is is compensated for the work he put into GNR, with royalty payments. He's had nothing to do with the band since 1991. When Slash, Duff and Axl were fighting, sometimes against each other, in court to control how the GNR brand was managed, Izzy had nothing to do with it. He wasn't involved in any of the behind the scenes work that lead to this tour. It took a lot of work, professionally and personally, to get Axl/Slash/Duff together and touring so I can see why they don't think Izzy's entitled to the same amount of money whenever he decides to show up.

2 minutes ago, FuriousStyles said:

Exactly, which is what GNR is known for.