NEW INTERVIEW: Axl and Duff Interviewed by Brazilian TV: "Where's Izzy" / "How did the reunion come about" / "New album" all discussed

On September 9, 2016 at 3:00 AM, RONIN said:

Yeah, that Gilby Clarke must have really put poor Axl through the paces. Showing up on time and never missing a single tour date or rehearsal ( except for the dates he was injured). He had the audacity to sue the band after endless requests to collect wages that were rightfully owed to him ended up getting ignored by Doug Goldstein, Del James and all the other idiot enablers in the redhead's entourage. lol Whatever Axl. 

The even more ironic thing about axls comment you quoted, about not wanting illusion people, is That Dizzy Reed joined during the illusions era. Matt sorum too. 

It's interesting really..

• 1 month later...

Sorry to bump a month old thread but I just watched the interview again and noticed a little coincidence:

Axl says that the first time he and Slash saw each other was a dinner at his house in October (of 2015)...

In October of 2005 Slash showed up to Axl's house early in the morning (and drunk) trying to settle a lawsuit. He spoke briefly to Beta before being turned away. We wouldn't have known about this unless Axl put that phantom paragraph in a statement from his lawyers the following Spring. 

10 years difference (holy shit!), two different outcomes at the same location. ^_^ 

• Like 4

14 hours ago, Crazyman said:

Sorry to bump a month old thread but I just watched the interview again and noticed a little coincidence:

Axl says that the first time he and Slash saw each other was a dinner at his house in October (of 2015)...

In October of 2005 Slash showed up to Axl's house early in the morning (and drunk) trying to settle a lawsuit. He spoke briefly to Beta before being turned away. We wouldn't have known about this unless Axl put that phantom paragraph in a statement from his lawyers the following Spring. 

10 years difference (holy shit!), two different outcomes at the same location. ^_^ 

Yeah who knew the same gate keeper would serve dinner to the Devil himself. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Pink Rose said:

That's so hilarious.  He can't even get a simple number himself but he supposedly did all this "hard work".  LOL!  The guy still has a live in nanny for himself for crying out loud.  At least he's down to one babysitter though.  Back in the day he had 2 and 3 at all times.  He couldn't even order room service for himself.  He had to have one of his babysitters do it for him!  And you think this guy was capable of doing "hard work".  My ass!

Like Slash said the guy is super intelligent. He just doesnt want to bother with all this shitty small stuff he can have his brazilian slaves do, nevermind that hes rich and that changes and spoils you hard aswell. Elvis once said: Don't criticize what you don't understand, son. You never walked in that man's shoes.

• Like 1

I guess I want to know what changed in Axl's mind to actually consider calling Slash. Were the quotes about Slash misread. I guess the cancer quote, HOF stuff, Not in this Lifetime (which maybe more specific) - but that image of Axl and Slash that built up. Was it real? Then how did that change? Was it Duff explaining things, then Axl got it?

15 minutes ago, wasted said:

I guess I want to know what changed in Axl's mind to actually consider calling Slash. Were the quotes about Slash misread. I guess the cancer quote, HOF stuff, Not in this Lifetime (which maybe more specific) - but that image of Axl and Slash that built up. Was it real? Then how did that change? Was it Duff explaining things, then Axl got it?

I remember Axl doing an interview with NME in 2011 in which he says he would consider doing shows with Duff and Slash but not Izzy or Adler.  Seems he thought about it even then. 

Weird how that turned out. 

http://www.nme.com/news/guns-n-roses/61104

Edited by MillionsOfSpiders
  • Like 2

44 minutes ago, MillionsOfSpiders said:

I remember Axl doing an interview with NME in 2011 in which he says he would consider doing shows with Duff and Slash but not Izzy or Adler.  Seems he thought about it even then. 

That is odd how Axl's view of the reunion was sealed this long ago. I know he's said in the past that he doesn't do interviews bc all the information that people want to know is out there and he doesn't want to repeat himself. 

However it worked out though it was good for all these guys. Life is short, this needed to happen and to see how great the shows have been makes it all the better. 

• Like 1

On 9/8/2016 at 6:45 AM, DieselDaisy said:

The whole period after Izzy left (1991) is a sack of shite anyhow. First you had the fighting (and nothingness); second you had Nugnr - with only one album for your troubles.

i need more guns n roses albums (not axl solo albums) FOR MY TROUBLES - i am no native english speaker so I have no idea what "FOR MY TROUBLES" means

but i like how it sounds!

1 hour ago, wasted said:

Last week i watched an youtube video FROM... I am not sure if it was from 2012 or 2014

This guy, SINGER/GUITARIST from a rock band in my country, said SOMETHING LIKE THIS

"I opened for Guns n Roses on their last tour here. Its not the same, man. They are like small now. They dont have the same power. We played in a small space. The band is getting smaller ever year"

Then, 2 (or 4) years later (I am not sure if it was from 2012 or 2014) and...

there you have it!

COINS N NOTES tour!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MillionsOfSpiders said:

Quote from that 2011 article.

"The only thing that would make it would be Duff and Slash, really," he explained.

"It's nothing against Izzy and it's nothing against Steven, or anything like that. Steven may want it, but these guys I’m working with right now, they work really hard and it’s hard work. I've toured with the other guys and I’ve also seen what they’ve done since, and I just know the difficulties. So it’s not really even a full reunion."

Read more at http://www.nme.com/news/guns-n-roses/61104#RFsvOgZLda45SvCX.99
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, wasted said:

Axl always wanted Slash back. It was just a matter of getting over whatever he was pissed off at him over.

6 hours ago, ludurigan said:

Last week i watched an youtube video FROM... I am not sure if it was from 2012 or 2014

This guy, SINGER/GUITARIST from a rock band in my country, said SOMETHING LIKE THIS

"I opened for Guns n Roses on their last tour here. Its not the same, man. They are like small now. They dont have the same power. We played in a small space. The band is getting smaller ever year"

Then, 2 (or 4) years later (I am not sure if it was from 2012 or 2014) and...

there you have it!

COINS N NOTES tour!

Just curious... your Singer/Guitarist said in this tour they are smaller/weaker than in 2012/2014? 

9 hours ago, MillionsOfSpiders said:

I think post 2011 Rock in Rio the CD era was over and they were just touring greatest hits. With nothing being released by the label, again forcing the reunion. 

Axl has said you don't need to be friends to be in a band. So from that perspective he had to do CD and tour it to his own satisfaction. But he could still accept Slash in Guns but not under the circumstances. 

In 2001 after Rock in Rio Axl wanted Slash on 3 songs on CD, if he apologized for things he said about Axl. 

I guess it was always possible but once Nu Guns fell apart again it became almost the only option. 

If your sitting home with half a band and Coachchella calls with big money for Slash. And you think why not? 

Slash in 2014, when Duff joined NuGnR:

“What Duff does is what Duff does. It doesn’t really concern me,” Slash tells TeamRock. “Duff’s relationship with Axl is different to mine. That call to me is just not going to happen.

Slash continues, “I don’t judge Duff. He’s cool. He just has a way more amicable, neutral relationship with Axl than I do.”

http://loudwire.com/slash-on-duff-mckagan-guns-n-roses-return/

He got the call one year later. Never say never...

6 hours ago, RONIN said:
8 hours ago, PirateRadio said:

Quote from that 2011 article.

"The only thing that would make it would be Duff and Slash, really," he explained.

"It's nothing against Izzy and it's nothing against Steven, or anything like that. Steven may want it, but these guys I’m working with right now, they work really hard and it’s hard work. I've toured with the other guys and I’ve also seen what they’ve done since, and I just know the difficulties. So it’s not really even a full reunion."

Read more at http://www.nme.com/news/guns-n-roses/61104#RFsvOgZLda45SvCX.99

The irony of this statement from Axl about the work ethic of Slash and Izzy when he is perhaps the laziest rock star in history :facepalm:

I think that the part in bold is not about Izzy, but about Sorum and Gilby. Here is the full quote from the L.A. Times interview:

AXL: All these managers, they know one thing. They know that they can at least ... sell a reunion tour and get their commission. It’s just a phone call. It’s a half a day’s ... work, or however long they want to keep the bidding war going. They get their commission and they don’t care if it falls on its face.

Because, really, you can get guys from the "Illusion" thing, but the only thing that would make it would be Duff and Slash, really. It’s nothing against Izzy and it’s nothing against Steven, or anything like that. Steven may want it, but these guys I’m working with right now, they work really hard and it’s hard work. I’ve toured with the other guys and I’ve also seen what they’ve done since, and I just know the difficulties. I don’t have an excitement to work with people that joined in the "Illusion" time. There’s behind the scenes that was really, really difficult there with different ones. So it’s not really even a full reunion.

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/music_blog/2011/12/axl-rose-talks-playing-los-angeles-rock-hall-reunion.html?

Edited by Blackstar
  • Like 1

51 minutes ago, Blackstar said:

Slash in 2014, when Duff joined NuGnR:

“What Duff does is what Duff does. It doesn’t really concern me,” Slash tells TeamRock. “Duff’s relationship with Axl is different to mine. That call to me is just not going to happen.

Slash continues, “I don’t judge Duff. He’s cool. He just has a way more amicable, neutral relationship with Axl than I do.”

http://loudwire.com/slash-on-duff-mckagan-guns-n-roses-return/

He got the call one year later. Never say never...

I think that the part in bold is not about Izzy, but about Sorum and Gilby. Here is the full quote from the L.A. Times interview:

AXL: All these managers, they know one thing. They know that they can at least ... sell a reunion tour and get their commission. It’s just a phone call. It’s a half a day’s ... work, or however long they want to keep the bidding war going. They get their commission and they don’t care if it falls on its face.

Because, really, you can get guys from the "Illusion" thing, but the only thing that would make it would be Duff and Slash, really. It’s nothing against Izzy and it’s nothing against Steven, or anything like that. Steven may want it, but these guys I’m working with right now, they work really hard and it’s hard work. I’ve toured with the other guys and I’ve also seen what they’ve done since, and I just know the difficulties. I don’t have an excitement to work with people that joined in the "Illusion" time. There’s behind the scenes that was really, really difficult there with different ones. So it’s not really even a full reunion.

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/music_blog/2011/12/axl-rose-talks-playing-los-angeles-rock-hall-reunion.html?

You could be right, but he has complained in previous interviews about Slash and Izzy not wanting to work hard enough in Guns. I assume by "work hard" he means obsessing over every riff and running it through pro-tools 500 times. That doesn't quite jive with the one-take spontaneous style of Izzy and Slash which in Axl's mind means they're lazy.

• Like 2

19 hours ago, RONIN said:

The irony of this statement from Axl about the work ethic of Slash and Izzy when he is perhaps the laziest rock star in history :facepalm:

I take that quote to mean that Izzy and Steven aren't up to the task of touring the world. Axl certainly is...he's done it for a decade, and he believes Slash and Duff are capable of pulling it off as well. It seems like he's looking to take the same lineup all over the world through 2017.

19 hours ago, Free Bird said:

Just curious... your Singer/Guitarist said in this tour they are smaller/weaker than in 2012/2014? 

sorry i wasnt clear enough

the guy said that in 2012 (or 2014)

obviously that this time they are 18 million times bigger than 2 (or 4) years ago)

On 16 October 2016 at 9:58 AM, Modano09 said:

Axl always wanted Slash back. It was just a matter of getting over whatever he was pissed off at him over.

Yeah like he can come back if he apologizes in 2001. 

But at the same time the reunion happened after Slash said there was no animosity there anymore. Meaning there was some at some point. 

Maybe Slash was pissed up to certain point but I think whenever he went up to Axl's house is when it ended for him. But Axl still had navigate his career. 

It's like they had to get over it, to see it from a distance to just see it like everyone else. 

Like Duff said something about celebrating what they achieved. They never did that. Now they are.  So that is cool. 

17 minutes ago, Pink Rose said:

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Exactly :lol:

12 minutes ago, Pink Rose said:

Does anyone remember that post Axl made a little over a year ago with a picture of some money?   And he said  "Fuck the money!"   I guess they must have upped the amount and made him an offer he not only couldn't refuse but couldn't split equally and fairly with the real Guns N Roses.                                                             

His band went broke. They couldn't even pay Pittman, the cheapest guy in the band. What a sorry state of affairs. Nu guns was on life support. 

With his leeches like Fernando, Del James and Dizzy draining every last red cent, I imagine Axl decided to cash out ...even if it meant reconciling with Slash.

Probably a good decision since he's literally swimming in cash now. 

9 hours ago, wasted said:

Yeah like he can come back if he apologizes in 2001. 

But at the same time the reunion happened after Slash said there was no animosity there anymore. Meaning there was some at some point. 

Maybe Slash was pissed up to certain point but I think whenever he went up to Axl's house is when it ended for him. But Axl still had navigate his career. 

It's like they had to get over it, to see it from a distance to just see it like everyone else. 

Like Duff said something about celebrating what they achieved. They never did that. Now they are.  So that is cool. 

I knew this girl, had a real asshole of an ex. She left him but she always complained about him and always seemed to leave the door open for them to get back together if he'd change. It went on for years but eventually they got back together because all she really wanted was him, but it had to be on her terms.

Axl's pretty much the girl in this situation. If Slash would have said "you're right, I'll do it your way" he could've come back anytime.

53 minutes ago, RONIN said:

Exactly :lol:

His band went broke. They couldn't even pay Pittman, the cheapest guy in the band. What a sorry state of affairs. Nu guns was on life support. 

With his leeches like Fernando, Del James and Dizzy draining every last red cent, I imagine Axl decided to cash out ...even if it meant reconciling with Slash.

Probably a good decision since he's literally swimming in cash now. 

Calling Fernando a leech and Beta and whoever else you are referring to is pretty disrespectful...

I presume you arent close to Axl, you arent close to the band, how do you know they are leeches? How do you know what they get paid? what they actually do? How is Dizzy a leech? He's a paid member of the band, That is Axl's decision to pay him for what he provides.

The problem with posts like this and so many more on here is people say things on-line and pass it off as gospel and then it gets regurgitated so many times it becomes a fact. How would you like it if people started saying things about your situation without having had a single thing to do with you and passing off their opinion as fact? Just think about it for a moment.

The management that Axl has right now has played a part in getting what we have now. Axl has even made that clear recently.

• Like 4