Izzy Stradlin comments on reunion

1 minute ago, Reclamation Project said:

As an aside - as bad as it sounds, seems like Adler lost a ton of leverage after injuring himself. Who knows if he would have even been involved if it didn't happen. 

Very different scenario given that he's basically begged to be a part of it though. 

How did you come to that conclusion?

my understanding from the interview was that he was probably gonna have more involvement, if not for his back injury.

2 minutes ago, GNRfan2008 said:

Neither side is wrong. Izzy has a right as one of the songwriters to feel he should get equal treatment. The other three have a right to stand their ground. They aren't the guys who quit in the middle of a massive world tour 25 years ago. 

What the fuck matters if Izzy left 25 years ago? He had his valid reasons to do so, the band was falling apart and there was nothing left to do than quit.

What matters is the present and Izzy is willing to work hard as the other three but he rightly wants to be paid equally...in the meantime Axl Duff and Slash have become to greedy to let this happen

3 minutes ago, starlight said:

What the fuck matters if Izzy left 25 years ago? He had his valid reasons to do so, the band was falling apart and there was nothing left to do than quit.

What matters is the present and Izzy is willing to work hard as the other three but he rightly wants to be paid equally...in the meantime Axl Duff and Slash have become to greedy to let this happen

It matters that he gave up his legal rights and left the others in the lurch to scramble and find a replacement for that mega tour. They haven't forgotten and they're not about to back down on the legal issue after he gave up his share of the partnership. He has every right to feel he should get equal treatment. He helped write the songs. The others have every right to squeeze him out for the decisions he made to leave the partnership and put them in a very tough spot during UYI tour. 

Edited by GNRfan2008

2 minutes ago, starlight said:

I agree, It Is Irrelevant that Izzy quit. Slash and Duff also quit. As much as I would like to see Izzy back In the band I actually respect him more for taking a stand as opposed to accepting whatever was thrown at him.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, ironmt said:

I agree, It Is Irrelevant that Izzy quit. Slash and Duff also quit. As much as I would like to see Izzy back In the band I actually respect him more for taking a stand as opposed to accepting whatever was thrown at him.

Slash and Duff didn't quit the partnership, whereas Izzy did quit the partnership. Axl was actually the one who ended up quitting the partnership before Slash and Duff. But since Axl owned the name, Slash/Duff couldn't exactly release music or perform as GN'R. What we have now is Axl rejoined the partnership with Slash and Duff. 

Edited by GNRfan2008

1 minute ago, NicDwolfwood said:

How did you come to that conclusion?

my understanding from the interview was that he was probably gonna have more involvement, if not for his back injury.

If the money issues with Izzy are true (and let's be honest there's a lot of scar tissue there dating back to early 90s), who's to say they weren't pulling the same shenanigans with Steven? Then he blows his back out and there goes his leverage. He's not really in a position of strength given his departure. Hell, I don't think Steven could go through the rigors of what they're gonna do even before his back injury.

I've read stuff that says everyone is an equal. No way. Hell, I personally don't think even Duff and Slash are equal (and I love Duff). The spotlight is on Axl and Slash, and these buildings are being filled because of Slash. NewGNR pulled pretty solid crowds, but they weren't selling out stadiums. 

I'm indifferent about these two TBH. That ship sailed so long ago that I don't cling to the notion that they're just all going to walk on stage together after all these years and be buddies. I'd love to see all five play together, but I don't expect it to happen any time soon. 

All speculation on my part, but after all this is a forum. 

I went to sleep last night leaving this forum at peace as nothing particularly new happened, woke up and BOOM! 12 pages of this thread and people raging at eachother!

Are you all mental?! He said nothing new! We knew it was about the money all along!

The truth is always in the middle. As some previously said; they probably offered him some money, he said he was ok with it even though he wasn't and when it was  time to start the wheels in motion he bailed out and realised he wanted an equal share. That's it.

My opinion only.

But would you give Izzy an equal share if you were The Big Three? I think I wouldn't...

And, would you ask for equal share if you were Izzy? I think I wouldn't...

If it was some silly amount of money, then fine, move along, but I'm sure they weren't that selfish, they offered him enough, it's just that he wanted it split equally. 

So there, I took my side. Let the war continue...

"Will we ever see a reunion of the original band?"

Axl: "not in this lifetime!"

cue all the interviews with hired hands: "Oh Axl's got integrity, he's not in it for the money."

Coachella: "So, I have a wad of cash for two performances, how about it?"

Axl: "Hmm, sounds too good to pass up. I'll have to suck it up and call Slash, which I said I would never do. Do you reall need all band members?"

Coachella: "Ideally yes, but just you, Slash and Duff will do."

Axl: "Alright, I'll see what I can do."

Intergrity my ass. Loyalty my ass. The guy is loyal to the $$$. 

• Like 2

Just now, GNRfan2008 said:

Slash and Duff didn't quit the partnership, whereas Izzy did quit the partnership. Axl was actually the one who ended up quitting the partnership. But since he owned the name, Slash/Duff couldn't exactly release music or perform as GN'R. What we have now is Axl rejoined the partnership with Slash and Duff. 

What partnership? How do we know Slash and Duff aren't being paid as the previous members were, as employees? What details do you have on the partnership? Maybe there was an article detailing the specifics and I missed It.

Just now, ironmt said:

What partnership? How do we know Slash and Duff aren't being paid as the previous members were, as employees? What details do you have on the partnership? Maybe there was an article detailing the specifics and I missed It.

For one thing, the classic logo they've been using was from the days of the partnership. Axl didn't have the right to use it after he quit the partnership and formed his other band nu-Guns. 

boo Ax£ n' Sla$h - bring on Izz¥ (and St€v€n) and bring them Yens (and Euros)...

seriously, I am sad to read this. beside obvious fiscal compatibility in their names LOL, it's basic business - you don't even have to go to school for that. consider it as a investment - giving up part of the current profit (sharing the loot equally) for higher returns in the future (Izzy's songwriting contributions means much more $, £, € and ¥ down the line, not to mention new material).

1 minute ago, Reclamation Project said:

If the money issues with Izzy are true (and let's be honest there's a lot of scar tissue there dating back to early 90s), who's to say they weren't pulling the same shenanigans with Steven? Then he blows his back out and there goes his leverage. He's not really in a position of strength given his departure. Hell, I don't think Steven could go through the rigors of what they're gonna do even before his back injury.

I've read stuff that says everyone is an equal. No way. Hell, I personally don't think even Duff and Slash are equal (and I love Duff). The spotlight is on Axl and Slash, and these buildings are being filled because of Slash. NewGNR pulled pretty solid crowds, but they weren't selling out stadiums. 

I'm indifferent about these two TBH. That ship sailed so long ago that I don't cling to the notion that they're just all going to walk on stage together after all these years and be buddies. I'd love to see all five play together, but I don't expect it to happen any time soon. 

All speculation on my part, but after all this is a forum. 

Speculation is ok when atleast a small bit of evidence is out there. To me it sounded like that is what Axl was implying. and then back with the troubadour performance, it almost sounded like Frank came in and saved the day by doing the gigs.. which would explain why tempos and such were all over the place during the beginning

13 minutes ago, starlight said:

To you it may not matter, but to them it matters a whole lot. If they feel that on a whim, he may just up and leave again, then they may feel its not fair to give him equal cut if they dont feel he pulls equal weight.

Remember they were all pissed off that he quit.. doesnt matter if the reasoning was good.. but he fucking up and left during the middle of massive tour..

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Colossus of Rhodes said:

boo Ax£ n' Sla$h - bring on Izz¥ (and St€v€n) and bring them Yens (and Euros)...

seriously, I am sad to read this. beside obvious fiscal compatibility in their names LOL, it's basic business - you don't even have to go to school for that. consider it as a investment - giving up part of the current profit (sharing the loot equally) for higher returns in the future (Izzy's songwriting contributions means much more $, £, € and ¥ down the line, not to mention new material).

There is no money to be made in recording new material. The music they all created together 25-30 years ago has stood the test of time and will continue to stand the test of time. It's a well known brand at this point and there is way more money in touring those songs than there is in creating new material. Sad but true reality of the music industry today. 

20 minutes ago, GNRfan2008 said:

Izzy had valid reasons for quitting, but that comes with consequences. He gave up his legal rights. Keith Richards once said you never quit the band. You sure as shit don't do it in the middle of a tour. As drunk and drugged out of their minds as they might have been 25 years ago, don't think for one second that those guys have forgotten he walked out on them when they needed him most. 

It was in between legs if I remember correctly. It wasn't like he quit mid show. Gilby had limited time to learn 28 days or so

• Like 1

Just now, GNRfan2008 said:

There is no money to be made in recording new material. The music they all created together 25-30 years ago has stood the test of time and will continue to stand the test of time. It's a well known brand at this point and there is way more money in touring those songs than there is in creating new material. Sad but true reality of the music industry today. 

This I agree with 100%.

10 minutes ago, nn18 said:

I went to sleep last night leaving this forum at peace as nothing particularly new happened, woke up and BOOM! 12 pages of this thread and people raging at eachother!

Are you all mental?! He said nothing new! We knew it was about the money all along!

The truth is always in the middle. As some previously said; they probably offered him some money, he said he was ok with it even though he wasn't and when it was  time to start the wheels in motion he bailed out and realised he wanted an equal share. That's it.

My opinion only.

But would you give Izzy an equal share if you were The Big Three? I think I wouldn't...

And, would you ask for equal share if you were Izzy? I think I wouldn't...

If it was some silly amount of money, then fine, move along, but I'm sure they weren't that selfish, they offered him enough, it's just that he wanted it split equally. 

So there, I took my side. Let the war continue...

No one is raging at each other. Just raging

3 minutes ago, Top-Hatted One said:

It was in between legs if I remember correctly. It wasn't like he quit mid show. Gilby had limited time to learn 28 days or so

He still left them in the lurch. Throw in that Slash and Duff were in bad shape mentally/physically. Difficult to scramble and find a new guitarist even 100% sober, never mind trying to do it while you're drunk or high every single day. If you're going to do what Izzy did, you better protect yourself legally. It's biting him in the ass now.