Izzy Stradlin comments on reunion

12 minutes ago, The Black said:

"Will we ever see a reunion of the original band?"

Axl: "not in this lifetime!"

cue all the interviews with hired hands: "Oh Axl's got integrity, he's not in it for the money."

Coachella: "So, I have a wad of cash for two performances, how about it?"

Axl: "Hmm, sounds too good to pass up. I'll have to suck it up and call Slash, which I said I would never do. Do you reall need all band members?"

Coachella: "Ideally yes, but just you, Slash and Duff will do."

Axl: "Alright, I'll see what I can do."

Intergrity my ass. Loyalty my ass. The guy is loyal to the $$$. 

He could've done that years ago if it was that easy

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, NicDwolfwood said:

Speculation is ok when atleast a small bit of evidence is out there. To me it sounded like that is what Axl was implying. and then back with the troubadour performance, it almost sounded like Frank came in and saved the day by doing the gigs.. which would explain why tempos and such were all over the place during the beginning

To you it may not matter, but to them it matters a whole lot. If they feel that on a whim, he may just up and leave again, then they may feel its not fair to give him equal cut if they dont feel he pulls equal weight.

Remember they were all pissed off that he quit.. doesnt matter if the reasoning was good.. but he fucking up and left during the middle of massive tour..

Frank was in since they 1. They already had CD songs worked up. Doubt Adler was going to play them

1 minute ago, Top-Hatted One said:

Frank was in since they 1. They already had CD songs worked up. Doubt Adler was going to play them

Thats not the way it sounded when Axl talked about Steven..he said it like as if Steven would be more involved if not for his back...atleast splitting duties with Frank would have been his role if not for the injury. 

4 hours ago, pacu44 said:

Nothing to plan.... CD sucked... They aren't playing CD or VR... the brand? it took them 25 years to come back to New Orleans... Give me a break...

Someone's been managing the catalogue for the past 20+ years. Someone's been managing the merch licensing and so forth. All of that takes time and money, and that was done by Slash, Duff and Axl. Izzy wasn't involved.

Someone planned, organized and managed this tour. You honestly think that a tour of this magnitude doesn't have a ton of money, time and effort involved in planning? Izzy didn't do that either. Axl, Slash and Duff did.

Tell me, if you worked your ass off at a job for 20+ years and then someone floated in tomorrow, did half the work you did and demanded they get the same salary as you, just because they had a link to the company 20 years ago, would you be cool with that?

Edited by stella
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, Oldest Goat said:

Wow. This sucks. Regardless of how black and white this really is...there is now probably zero chance of Izzy joining. Ever.

I feel the same. This tweet means war. He is taking a big shot at the Big 3 not just Axl (he says "they"). If I were one of the 3 guys, I'd be mad as hell. I think that it should be easily understood that in any kind of job not everyone is paid the same. eg after working for many years at a job and having a lot of responsibilities, I get paid more than a colleague with no experience. It's like that. Equal payment doesn't exist in the real word. There is no way Slash is paid as much as Axl or Duff is paid as much as Slash.

It's safe to say we won't be seeing an AFD5 reunion pretty soon. ?

Edited by oaka

17 minutes ago, GNRfan2008 said:

There is no money to be made in recording new material. The music they all created together 25-30 years ago has stood the test of time and will continue to stand the test of time. It's a well known brand at this point and there is way more money in touring those songs than there is in creating new material. Sad but true reality of the music industry today. 

I agree it's tougher now, but it's different. I am sure Celine Dion, GaGa or current one-hit wonders make quite enough.

mind you, music industry endured radical changes ever since 1920s. top recording artists who were millionaires in 1920s, with invention of radio and the Great Depression in the 30s, had to start touring again and make for their living that way. before they knew it, singles arrived to save the day. Latter, LP records practically destroyed singles and that previous system. Early 80s brought in cassettes and tape recorders (vinyls became less thick and less profitable). Cd's pretty much killed cassettes and records, then Internet killed Cd's and so on.

2 minutes ago, Colossus of Rhodes said:

I agree it's tougher now, but it's different. I am sure Celine Dion, GaGa or current one-hit wonders make quite enough.

mind you, music industry endured radical changes ever since 1920s. top recording artists who were millionaires in 1920s, with invention of radio and the Great Depression in the 30s, had to start touring again and make for their living that way. before they knew it, singles arrived to save the day. Latter, LP records practically destroyed singles and that previous system. Early 80s brought in cassettes and tape recorders (vinyls became less thick and less profitable). Cd's pretty much killed cassettes and records, then Internet killed Cd's and so on.

There isn't much of a single/album sales market for rockers in their 50's. Adele is a big time seller but she is more pop than rock and she's a lot younger (able to appeal to younger people). GN'R had their time to make a big impact on youth culture and they did it in spectacular fashion. 

1 hour ago, NicDwolfwood said:

Thats not true at all man.. Yeah they(Slash and Duff) quit. But they never relinquished their piece of the partnership. everything that the other has done these past 20 years had to be under an agreement by all 3. Everything having to do with GNR had to be ok'd by all 3. Live albums, DVD's, merchandise, licensing. Thats why they sued when that Greatest hits came out, because the label went over their heads with it. 

Izzy bought himself out sometime after he quit. He never signed the agreement that Slash and Duff did to continue as GNR when Axl gained possession of ownership of the GNR corporation. That is why they remained in partnership, and they're reaping the rewards of the Reunion right now.

Preach. 

5 minutes ago, GNRfan2008 said:

There isn't much of a single/album sales market for rockers in their 50's. Adele is a big time seller but she is more pop than rock and she's a lot younger (able to appeal to younger people). GN'R had their time to make a big impact on youth culture and they did it in spectacular fashion. 

I am 100% sure they are already making cross-generation appeal - Stones and AC/DC (and to somewhat lesser extent Aerosmith and KISS) proved it's possible big time. in order to finish the process successfully they need some new material.

it's just different means now - Live streams, iTunes (and similar online outlets) etc.

all they have to do is remember - in the early 80s they were listening the music over pirated cassettes (and literally stolen vinyls). then they recorded their demos on cassettes and distributed those cassettes around. they are practically doing the same thing now with youtube. creating the demand and the buzz.

2 minutes ago, Colossus of Rhodes said:

I am 100% sure they are already making cross-generation appeal - Stones and AC/DC (and to somewhat lesser extent Aerosmith and KISS) proved it's possible big time. in order to finish the process successfully they need some new material.

it's just different means now - Live streams, iTunes (and similar online outlets) etc.

all they have to do is remember - in the early 80s they were listening the music over pirated cassettes (and literally stolen vinyls). then they recorded their demos on cassettes and distributed those cassettes around. they are practically doing the same thing now with youtube. creating the demand and the buzz.

Aerosmith sold out by bringing in a pop writer to help them score pop hits in their advanced age. They also weren't as old at that point as GN'R is now. The Stones haven't had a mega hit album in decades either, certainly not after getting into their 50's. AC/DC pulled it off with Black Ice, but I don't think GN'R has built up anywhere near the good will and loyalty that AC/DC did with their fanbase through the decades. 

Just now, GibsonLP said:

I'm not sure the argument that Izzy hasn't been involved with GN'R for over 20 years and therefore he isn't entitled to be there has any merit in the general view. Most people think GN'R hasn't existed for the last 20 years - that's why this reunion is so big - nobody considers the last 20 years to have been the real band

Izzy should be there as much as any of them

The issue is he quit the legal partnership. Sold his rights to the other three at the time. He has a right to demand equal treatment. They have a right to say hell no. I don't think either side is wrong. Both have valid viewpoints in this situation. 

• Like 1

I don't understand how anyone can pick a side regarding this without hearing both side of the coin? I'll pick a side when Axl, Slash or Duff comments on Izzy's statement.
#TeamTheTrouthIsInTheMiddle

Edited by youngswedishvinyl

2 minutes ago, GNRfan2008 said:

The issue is he quit the legal partnership. Sold his rights to the other three at the time. He has a right to demand equal treatment. They have a right to say hell no. I don't think either side is wrong. Both have valid viewpoints in this situation. 

They should throw that old partnership agreement out the window. Create a new one. Hiding behind lawyers and saying they can't do something because an existing partnership agreement gets in the way is lame old man suit and tie bullshit. This is a rock n roll band who make people happy through the energy and sound they produce together. They're all rich anyway and should be grateful for what each other allowed them all to achieve as a unit. Them + Izzy (and Steven) is where the magic happens and who gives a fuck if they're down a couple of percentage points of pay

• Like 1

As much as having Izzy around matters for the integrity of the band, he was never really known for his live performances.  In fact, his stage presence was pretty underwhelming.  Where he counts is in the studio...but thinking that this band is going to put out another studio album that will materially move the needle on their legacy in a positive way is hopelessly naive.  It's 2016 - bands don't make money in the studio anymore and there is nothing to suggest based on the lack of true hits by anyone associated with this band since 1991 that they even still have what it takes from a songwriting perspective.

What we really should be hoping for is more stage time for Steven.  Unlike Izzy, he really changes the entire vibe of the band and show when he is on stage.  It was true in 1988 and it remains true in 2016.  The guy plays with an infectious, youthful joy that elevates everyone in the stadium.  Also, his being back with the band is a great human interest story of overcoming long odds in recovery from the depths of a serious addiction...not some self-centered, money/ego one percenter problem that's been festering between Izzy and Axl for over 25 years.

• Like 4