Izzy Stradlin comments on reunion

9 minutes ago, GNRfan2008 said:

I'm looking at the band's legacy in the general public and I'm looking at the actions of the band members over time. Izzy and company had the chance to fire Axl. They chose not to. They even took it a step further and handed over their rights to the name to Axl. His last name is the only one of the band members that is actually part of the band name. From a songwriting standpoint, Izzy's "big guns" aren't anywhere near as popular with the general public as Axl and Slash's big guns. They would be a cult band if Sweet Child didn't blow up the way it did. Slash and Axl did the heavy lifting on that one as well as Jungle, Paradise, and November Rain. 

Guns N' Roses would be half the band it was without Izzy. Hell, he co-founded the band with Axl.

Izzy had a hand in SCOM. WTTJ and PC. He was also largely responsible, along with Axl, for Don't Cry, Patience and many other songs.

I think Izzy and Axl are equally important. Maybe not in the eyes of the general public, but certainly for the band itself.

8 hours ago, Estranged Reality said:

My gut instinct is that Izzy isn't exactly the most transparent guy in the world, and I think it's probably a little bit of a one-sided view of things. I'm sure there's more to the story. 

8 hours ago, Estranged Reality said:

My gut instinct is that Izzy isn't exactly the most transparent guy in the world, and I think it's probably a little bit of a one-sided view of things. I'm sure there's more to the story. 

My gut insinct is that you dont have a good insinct. They were caught lying.

Edited by ksks12

9 minutes ago, Live Like a Suicide said:

Guns N' Roses would be half the band it was without Izzy. Hell, he co-founded the band with Axl.

Izzy had a hand in SCOM. WTTJ and PC. He was also largely responsible, along with Axl, for Don't Cry, Patience and many other songs.

I think Izzy and Axl are equally important. Maybe not in the eyes of the general public, but certainly for the band itself.

I think Slash is just as important as them. That's just my personal take. But in general, their actions made it clear that they all felt Axl was more important. They probably SHOULD have fired him when they had the chance. 

3 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

And for those diminishing Izzy's stage persona/live contributions, you simply do not understand anything about rock n' roll stage management. Stradlin has the coolest stage presence of all because he does not try hard - he does not need to try hard. It is effortlessly cool. Axl, on his ninth costume change, could be jumping around in his underpants while Slash would be pulling shapes during his solos to the pretty girls in the front row, while Izzy would be this suited raggedy little rooster guy in the back. It was subtle, Stradlin's stage presence.

I repeat, Stradlin had the greatest stage persona of all of Guns N' Roses.

You are right, this is the essence of rock n roll stage presence! I am sure the band would have been just as succesful if it would have consisted of 5 shy hippie guys hiding behind the amps..... :facepalm:

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Modano09 said:

Oh it's quite relevant. He quit GNR 25 years ago and has had nothing to do with the band or the brand since. Axl, Slash and Duff are the ones who managed the GNR brand the last 25 years. They're the ones who put the work into making the reunion tour happen, they're the ones that have been on court managing the GNR name. They deserve a bigger piece of the pie than the guy who quit 25 years ago and seems to just want to show up and play.

oh really ? than i suggest they stop playing songs Izzy wrote or co-wrote..you need a list of them ?

1 minute ago, God of Thunder said:

You are right, this is the essence of rock n roll stage presence! I am sure the band would have been just as succesful if it would have consisted of 5 shy hippie guys hiding behind the amps..... :facepalm:

Who is the ''shy hippy guy hiding behind his amp''?

2 minutes ago, ksks12 said:

oh really ? than i suggest they stop playing songs Izzy wrote or co-wrote..you need a list of them ?

He gets paid a royalty for performances of those songs. So he's making money sitting on his couch. Not too shabby. He should ask them to tour for the next 20 years. Mailbox money for him. 

• Like 1

Izzy didn't put up with Axl's shit wanting to be the boss 25 years ago why should he now? It's called integrity. Guns n roses was a "best friends" band for him and he was just disappointed in his best friend shoving a stupid contract on his face. He deserves nothing less than the "big three" (I find that expression really amusing) offering him a simple spot as a hired hand is insulting. 

#TeamIzzy :headbang:

Edited by Darkenchantress

If Izzy is the most important songwriter of the band, give me one notable hard rock song that he has ever released outside of Guns. Guns on the other hand have written plenty great songs without him, Slash has at least a few on his own, so does Axl. The Izzy being most crucial to GNR sound is such bullshit, I still can't believe I'm reading this king of shit all of the time.

2 minutes ago, Darkenchantress said:

Izzy didn't put up with Axl's shit wanting to be the boss 25 years ago why should he now? It's called integrity. Guns n roses was a "best friends" band for him and he was just disappointed in his best friend shoving a stupid contract on his face. He deserves nothing less than the "big tree" (I find that expression really amusing) offering him a simple spot as a hired hand is insulting. 

#TeamIzzy :headbang:

No, he just wants more money. Talk about turning it around.

Just now, Asia said:

If Izzy is the most important songwriter of the band, give me one notable hard rock song that he has ever released outside of Guns. Guns on the other hand have written plenty great songs without him, Slash has at least a few on his own, so does Axl. The Izzy being most crucial to GNR sound is such bullshit, I still can't believe I'm reading this king of shit all of the time.

Define 'notable' because it seems to me you are defining it by 'commercial success' which is a terrible way to define music? I can however certainly give you a lengthy list of excellent Izzy rock songs - superior than anything in Slash's career or on Chinese - if that is what you require (he does not really do 'hard rock').

7 hours ago, stella said:

Axl, Slash and Duff have been managing the catalogue for the past 20+ years. They've been working their asses off on this. Why in God's name *should* someone who hasn't been in the band since 1991, and hasn't had any part in the management and behind the scenes stuff, get paid the same as them?!

a catalaogue Izzy wrote 60% of. LOL you make me laugh.

Just now, DieselDaisy said:

Define 'notable' because it seems to me you are defining it by 'commercial success' which is a terrible way to define music? I can however certainly give you a lengthy list of excellent Izzy rock songs - superior than anything in Slash's career or on Chinese - if that is what you require (he does not really do 'hard rock').

We're talking about GNR sound, give me one that could be a great GNR song, cause I don't think stonesy, shitty, boring crap like shuffle it all would do.

Just now, GNRfan2008 said:

All of them have something missing in their solo work compared to the old GN'R. The Appetite 5 were magic together. Apart? Not so much. 

I agree. But if I have to judge who's contributed most to the sound, it is obvoiusly Axl and Slash - the magnificent voice and the magnificent guitar, Izzy is far behind. Yeah, he's had some good song ideas that however needed to be completely reworked by Axl and Slash to make the great songs that they've become. That's it.

4 minutes ago, Asia said:

We're talking about GNR sound, give me one that could be a great GNR song, cause I don't think stonesy, shitty, boring crap like shuffle it all would do.

Well this is a stupid argument. To expect 'Guns N' Roses', bona fide Guns, from Izzy's solo albums is no different from expecting Guns N' Roses from Slash's hair rock albums or Axl's mess of overdubs.

PS

First time I've heard 'Stonesy' as a form of insult!

Edited by DieselDaisy
  • Like 3

3 minutes ago, Darkenchantress said:

Sure, the guy who left the band when it was at its peak has a life revolving around money. Not buying it, sorry ;)

Um, didn't he just tweet he wanted an equal share of the 'loot'? To me, that sounds like wanting more money (rightly so or not, I don't know).

7 hours ago, Gackt said:

By the sound of things, the intention was for it to be a reunion tour to fully live up to the original "not in this lifetime" quote regarding a full line-up reunion, but the situations with Adler & Stradlin didn't let that happen so it became marketed as a line-up of the 3 most consistent original members

Fortus deserves to be up on stage as much as anyone else, for how many years he's spent playing rhythm

how many songs did Fortus write ? remind me again