Izzy Stradlin comments on reunion

Just now, Lio said:

Um, didn't he just tweet he wanted an equal share of the 'loot'? To me, that sounds like wanting more money (rightly so or not, I don't know).

It's wanting the money he deserves, and he obviously deserve equals as a founding member and main song writer. I don't think Izzy is that stupid to ask for more money just to be a guest, to be honest.

2 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

Well this is a stupid argument. To expect 'Guns N' Roses', bona fide Guns, from Izzy's solo albums is no different from expecting Guns N' Roses from Slash's hair rock albums or Axl's mess of overdubs.

So the fact that he writes some stones-immitation unmemorable songs that sound nothing like GNR nor have one third of the overall richness and quality of the latter is supposed to prove he's the most important member of the band? Well, that is a stupid argument.

While, on the other hand, songs like Coma or Estranged were composed completely without him.

2 minutes ago, Darkenchantress said:

Sure, the guy who left the band when it was at its peak has a life revolving around money. Not buying it, sorry ;)

He is even writing himself in that tweet that it is only about money!??? Not sure what this has to do with integrity...It is his right to want more money and it is the full right of the others to refuse that.

About Izzys songwriting. Yes it was a huge influence on Guns, but people tend to forget that Guns had a collective height in songwriting, a magic that I assume was because of the right people, the right vibes in the right time; and most likely this can never be repeated. Nearly all of the songs have more than one credit, it has been a collective effort. Nobody would know how these songs would sound like if the influence of the others would not have been there. The only big gun Izzy wrote himself is Patience.

And about stage presence; the songs were one thing, but without Axl`s wild and maniac behaviour and rock star looks and attitude and Slash`s coolness,  iconic top hat and riffs, Guns would have never become  anywhere near as big. And frankly if I go to a live show I care about the performance and it is not the breaking point for me if a person that cowrote the songs is on stage or not. It would be nice to see all 5 back together, but if it does not work out, I am happy seeing Axl, Slash and Duff and keep the hopes for seeing Adler for the sake of the good old times.

• Like 2

Just now, Asia said:

So the fact that he writes some stones-immitation unmemorable songs that sound nothing like GNR nor have one third of the overall richness and quality of the latter is supposed to prove he's the most important member of the band? Well, that is a stupid argument.

'Stones imitation' is a very poor description of his music considering the elements of punk, reggae, surf 'Americana' instrumental (Link Wray type stuff), folk/country-rock (a la Gram Parsons) and (1950s) rockabilly in his sound. And I never said his songs 'sound nothing like GN'R' - you will indeed find many aspects akin to Guns in his solo music: indeed, Izzy's solo albums are littered with ballads like 'Patience'.

6 minutes ago, Asia said:

While, on the other hand, songs like Coma or Estranged were composed completely without him.

Vice versa, Patience, Used to Love Her, Think About You, Double Talkin' Jive.

I'm probably in the minority here but Coma is one of my least favourite GN'R songs.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Lio said:

Um, didn't he just tweet he wanted an equal share of the 'loot'? To me, that sounds like wanting more money (rightly so or not, I don't know).

Equal share. Not more money than Axl Slash or Duff...you know he has some dignity and feels as important as his ex bandmates. He doesn't want to be treated like some useless piece of shit and I agree with him.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, God of Thunder said:

And about stage presence; the songs were one thing, but without Axl`s wild and maniac behaviour and rock star looks and attitude and Slash`s coolness,  iconic top hat and riffs, Guns would have never become  anywhere near as big. And frankly if I go to a live show I care about the performance and it is not the breaking point for me if a person that cowrote the songs is on stage or not. It would be nice to see all 5 back together, but if it does not work out, I am happy seeing Axl, Slash and Duff and keep the hopes for seeing Adler for the sake of the good old times.

I would argue that, without Stradlin's understated troubadour persona, Axl's histrionics and Slash's posturing would be unbearable - if we are discussing the stage chemistry of the original five. Izzy (and Duff also) kept the stage thing grounded and punky - proof being the Ritz show.

7 minutes ago, God of Thunder said:

He is even writing himself in that tweet that it is only about money!??? Not sure what this has to do with integrity...It is his right to want more money and it is the full right of the others to refuse that.

About Izzys songwriting. Yes it was a huge influence on Guns, but people tend to forget that Guns had a collective height in songwriting, a magic that I assume was because of the right people, the right vibes in the right time; and most likely this can never be repeated. Nearly all of the songs have more than one credit, it has been a collective effort. Nobody would know how these songs would sound like if the influence of the others would not have been there. The only big gun Izzy wrote himself is Patience.

Yep. I tend not to use credits as a barometer of who did what. It was a collective effort and needed each individual element to make it work. The same applies to films to a certain degree. A writer, as credited, writes a script, yet the audience has no clue that that script may have/will have been rewritten by the director, another uncredited writer, actor rewrites his/her dialogue etc.  If it sucks, the critics blame the credited writer, or if the film is good, the uncredited writer is seething because he didn't get credit.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, oaka said:

Personal opinion:I don't think Izzy should be paid the same amount of money as the other guys.

How?

He founded Guns N' Roses. Slash and Duff didn't create Guns - they joined it! The band, Izzy's band, already existed before Slash and Duff joined! Further, Izzy made more songwriting contributions than Slash and Duff.

• Like 1

Well, it was really an issue of money, and we actually don't know what the negotations went, by all account they actually talked and i don't believe it went as cut and dry as that and even if it was that cut and dry i can see both side of argument, the big three actually took care of the band affairs together even with all the bullshit for the last 20+ years and they are the one that put together the tour but Izzy was part of the magic and a co-writer, i don't really see the value of the endless "Who was the most important while writing" debate because this band isn't The Rolling Stones or The Beatles they wrote all together.

I think it's better this way, tbh, i wouldn't want the tour to be riddled by resentment, it tends to seep in the perfomance.

Edited by giuls

2 minutes ago, Slosh13 said:

Yep. I tend not to use credits as a barometer of who did what. It was a collective effort and needed each individual element to make it work. The same applies to films to a certain degree. A writer, as credited, writes a script, yet the audience has no clue that that script may have/will have been rewritten by the director, another uncredited writer, actor rewrites his/her dialogue etc.  If it sucks, the critics blame the credited writer, or if the film is good, the uncredited writer is seething because he didn't get credit.

I think Adler is a great example of this and drumming in general. His drumming was critical on Appetite and we see it to this day with the lousy tempo Frank is creating for many of the songs. People are quick to dismiss Adler but he played a much more important role than the songwriting shows. John Bonham is not really credited on Led Zeppelin songwriting, yet they knew their band was completely fucked without him. He was incredibly important to their sound. 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Gackt said:

By the sound of things, the intention was for it to be a reunion tour to fully live up to the original "not in this lifetime" quote regarding a full line-up reunion, but the situations with Adler & Stradlin didn't let that happen so it became marketed as a line-up of the 3 most consistent original members

Fortus deserves to be up on stage as much as anyone else, for how many years he's spent playing rhythm

Everytime I see someone say Fortus is playing rhythm I have a blast

If I had a guess, judging from Izzy's ''they didn't want to split the loot equally'' and what we know of the 'partnership', Axl, Slash and Duff are splitting the gate receipts between them and attempted to hire Izzy on salary (like Fortus, Ferrer, Dizzy and that silly girl). Gross insult if true.

It's about money, then. Great... :( 

I haven't read all pages of this thread yet. I see people are hasty to reach a verdict, but, as a quote from about 2500 years says,  "don't condemn anyone before hearing both sides of the story". 

As for the alledged splits, yes, it seems outrageous if Axl gets 50%, but we don't know where the 4 hired hands' and the crew's payments come from. At least the musicians are probably paid from Axl's share.

13 hours ago, MillionsOfSpiders said:

No wonder they're not comfortable playing Don't Cry and Patience in the same show. 

Nah, I don't think it has to do (after all they aren't solely Izzy's). But maybe it has to do with playing DTJ every night, an all Izzy song that says "take the money mf cause I've got no more patience" :D I hope Izzy will eventually get the money.

Edited by Blackstar

Well, what use do they have for Izzy now? Dude wrote some good songs 30 years ago, but hasn't written jackshit of worth since. They don't need him for his stage charisma (he has none) and even if they were to release a new album (lol) I think Slash/Axl/Duff have written far better songs in the last 25 years than Izzy. I like Don't Cry and Patience as much as the next GNR fan, but I don't have much faith that he could still contribute songs of that calibre these days.

2 minutes ago, Towelie said:

Well, what use do they have for Izzy now? Dude wrote some good songs 30 years ago, but hasn't written jackshit of worth since. They don't need him for his stage charisma (he has none) and even if they were to release a new album (lol) I think Slash/Axl/Duff have written far better songs in the last 25 years than Izzy. I like Don't Cry and Patience as much as the next GNR fan, but I don't have much faith that he could still contribute songs of that calibre these days.

and many many more...

There is no comparison with Slash's cock rock and Axl's Chinese beeps and farts. Superior music altogether (and I quite like some of Slash's stuff).

• Like 1

5 hours ago, melonhead87 said:

But the difference is that Izzy could walk out during/before the UYI tour and the tour STILL WENT ON.

Oh please, that tour went on because they got Gilby, the one that a lot of people claim has zero importance in GNR history. 

2 hours ago, Gibbo said:

2 Coachella dates and 2 Vegas dates. Yeah I think its crap not sure if that was just for the first 4 shows!

I was told this back in March

A direct quote from Duff's mouth " Izzy thinks he's gonna get his fucken 25% back, that's never gonna fucken happen"

Wow.

25 minutes ago, StrangerInThisTown said:

As Izzy said in that 2001 interview, he doesnt want to be "demoted" to a lower position in a band he founded. This was his problem in 1991 aswell and one of the reasons he left. It seems he still feels so

THIS.