Izzy Stradlin comments on reunion

4 minutes ago, melonhead87 said:

He embarrassed himself. He sounds like a celebrity or teeny bopper running to twitter to fuel specualtion in the media. Thats a bitch move.

He responded to a question answered about him In an Interview. Axl could have requested that the Interviewer not ask questions pertaining to Izzy as he has requested certain questions not be asked In the past, but he chose not to do so. We now have a response from Izzy. He has nothing to be embarrassed about.

8 minutes ago, melonhead87 said:

He embarrassed himself. He sounds like a celebrity or teeny bopper running to twitter to fuel specualtion in the media. Thats a bitch move.

Everyone comes out looking the ass in this. Izzy and the Big 3 alike.

8 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

You have a point. It makes me utterly sick how corporate rock music is these days - the NITLT tour basically epitomises that. I must admit,  I'd have preferred Izzy to make is rejection on the principal of the tour being a nostalgia ridden cack fest with no trace of creativity, rather than an equal share of the ''loot'', but alas, there it is.  

Izzy is far from the little white lamb in all of this..history has shown that since he quit, the only thing that has moved him to do something with GNR has been propelled by a little bit of bread on the side...or alot of it, if we believe uncle Axl saying that he more or less extorted TB for some big $$ the last time he came out to play a few dates. (less than was agreed to I might add)

Just now, ironmt said:

He responded to a question answered about him In an Interview. Axl could have requested that the Interviewer not ask questions pertaining to Izzy as he has requested certain questions not be asked In the past, but he chose not to do so. We now have a response from Izzy. He has nothing to be embarrassed about.

Airing out dirty laundry on social media is public image 101. Childs play. 

1 minute ago, melonhead87 said:

There's no right way to say it. Its a sensitive topic. Regardless of the answer, it will be analyzed to death and people will come to their own conclusion. Axl went out of his way and said Im not bashing anyone. The truth is you dont know when Izzy is coming or going. Popped in and out of UYI for MONEY. Showed up with Axl in 2006 for MONEY. Here again, MONEY. He enjoys the fact that he can walk away from things as he pleases. Thats his right. But then you cant walk back in and say okay I want the same money as you. 

True. as that seems to be the sticky point if we're to believe the word thats floating around on all of this. Like I said above, everyone comes out looking the ass.

1 minute ago, NicDwolfwood said:

Izzy is far from the little white lamb in all of this..history has shown that since he quit, the only thing that has moved him to do something with GNR has been propelled by a little bit of bread on the side...or alot of it, if we believe uncle Axl saying that he more or less extorted TB for some big $$ the last time he came out to play a few dates. (less than was agreed to I might add)

And that's a significant detail. The last time he played for GNR he agreed to a deal, then before he actually showed up, demanded more money, which Team Brazil paid him without telling Axl just to make things go smoothly. So it goes to show that he will change his mind/back out of things and he does demand a lot of money. 

You are all missing the point.

This partnership is over. It ended,

You are all talking as if the partnership is continuing where it left off in December 1995.

"I’d left and formed a new partnership, which was only an effort to salvage Guns not steal it." (Axl, MyGNR, 12/14/08)

"This will serve as notice [that] effective [...] Decemeber 30th 1995, I will withdraw from the partnership. [...] I intend to use the name 'Guns N' Roses' in connection with a new group which I will form." (Slash & Duff v. Axl lawsuit document, 2004)

"He (Slash) has been 'OFFICIALLY and LEGALLY' outside of the Guns N' Roses Partnership since December 31, 1995." (Axl, 10/30/96)

The partnership ended when Axl withdrew from it as per the contract they all signed in either 1992 or 1993.

There is actually not much difference between Izzy's position and Slash and Duff's. The latter merely have a power on merchandise and licensing. They all receive publishing royalties.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, NicDwolfwood said:

His motivation Is money and there Is not a thing wrong with that. When we show up for work we expect to be paid. The whole tour Is money motivated and all parties Involved are doing It strictly for the money. It certainly wasn't for the fans at $275.00 per ticket for a stadium seat.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, NicDwolfwood said:

I do not believe a lot Axl says (based on previous form) but I could well imagine Izzy wanted to be adequately compensated for those shows, and no doubt negotiated a cynical enough deal.

Well, they were never hippies!

Just now, Modano09 said:

And that's a significant detail. The last time he played for GNR he agreed to a deal, then before he actually showed up, demanded more money, which Team Brazil paid him without telling Axl just to make things go smoothly. So it goes to show that he will change his mind/back out of things and he does demand a lot of money. 

Yeah, according to Axl who we all know would never tell a bullshit story about people taking advantage of him. :jerkoff:

8 minutes ago, melonhead87 said:

Airing out dirty laundry on social media is public image 101. Childs play. 

I guess Axl should have passed on the question then. If he would have he most likely wouldn't have gotten a response

5 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

You are all talking as if the partnership is continuing where it left off in December 1995.

The partnership ended when Axl withdrew from it as per the contract they all signed in either 1992 or 1993.

There is actually not much difference between Izzy's position and Slash and Duff's. The latter merely have a power on merchandise and licensing. They all receive publishing royalties.

Slash and Duff were still involved in a partnership of some sort, to some degree. Whatever legal issues or decisions in how the back catalog and merchandise was used involved Axl, Slash and Duff. 

Okay did Izzy care about money when he played some Vegas shows or when he showed up to play the UK show?

I can see Axl getting more money because he wrote the CD songs, but I can't believe that money is the only reason. I think Izzy is leaving something out.

Hopefully if GNR continue to tour and work together, maybe they can come to an agreement that will be good for all the original members.

7 minutes ago, bigpoop said:

Yeah, according to Axl who we all know would never tell a bullshit story about people taking advantage of him. :jerkoff:

Well Izzy said he did the shows in 1993 for money, and he's not doing this over money, so if someone accuses him of demanding a lot of money in 2006 I tend to believe it. 

11 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

Thats contradicted by what Marc Canter has said in the past. How Axl needed Slash and Duff's Ok for releasing the live DVD's he has put out with Nu-Guns. 

also contradicted Slash's book where he said his Lawyers came up with an agreement where he woudl retain his stake in the corporation. same thing with Duff.

43 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

The partnership was not created until after Izzy had left. In fact that is one of the reasons why Izzy left. There is an interview in which he states, Axl was getting him to sign various documentation - and this was supposed to be a rock n' roll band!

But you said it: 'corporation'. We have already heard words like 'brand' and 'marketing' thrown around by the hybrid supporters. ''Slash and Duff put hard work in, grafting like Trojans blah blah''. That is all there is left now, a business.

"Hybrid supporters" We're supporting reality, NOT what WE think should be reality. The hyrbid of old and new works! the band sounds great, so yeah! I will support it. 

"This was supposed to be a rock n roll band" Izzy did say something similar to this when he was citing why he left, but in saying that, Izzy showed the world exactly how naive he truly was / is. Even by the end of the AFD tour GnR were a corporation, they were quite insular, but nonetheless they were a business. They had staff, they sold merch, they worked with labels, signed legal agreements etc. all the things businesses do.

It's not as much fun to think about it in realistic terms, because we all love the mystical idea of 5 pirate rock stars not playing the game, and not giving a toss about business or percentages but that's just not the case. 

Izzy is talking about not getting paid enough money, SO he obviously learnt the value of business somewhere in the last 20 years... because if he was purely music driven, he'd be out doing the same as Steven... who would come out and play for free, let's face it! and he'd be smiling his head off. Izzy isn't greedy for asking for a fair share... but if he wasn't going to be doing the same amount of work on or off stage as the main 3, then he OBVIOUSLY doesn't qualify to receive the same amount of money as they do. 

I run a band, I pay the guys according to what they do. each member gets a fixed rate, and I get a little extra because I do all the bookings and grunt work. Now, if the guys in my band started to to look for gigs and help out in other areas, I would begin to pay more to whoever was doing the extra work (buying gear, organising rehearsals, recording, setting up the stage / gear etc). I don't pay anyone anymore or less than what they are worth: as in they are paid to play the material and entertain, so that's what they are paid for... nothing more. That's at the lowest level of the music business industry, so can you imagine what it's like when you're talking about a multi-million dollar tour? 

• Like 4

11 minutes ago, ironmt said:

His motivation Is money and there Is not a thing wrong with that. When we show up for work we expect to be paid. The whole tour Is money motivated and all parties Involved are doing It strictly for the money. It certainly wasn't for the fans at $275.00 per ticket for a stadium seat.

most definitely. we're in agreement there. I have no problem with someone trying to stack their bread sky high. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

While technically true, that's a lot of power. Merchandise, branding, and also the control of the catalog and its rights. They make decisions on its use and exploitation. It's a big deal and big business for them. Izzy has no say if his song gets used in the new DiCaprio movie and how they should charge for its use. How much of an advance on a merch deal, etc...Thats not a big difference in position? 

Everyone has their publishing rights. Everyone gets paid what they're owed. No one is being short changed and ripped off for its past success on that front. No one is arguing that. 

1 minute ago, guitarpatch said:

While technically true, that's a lot of power. Merchandise, branding, and also the control of the catalog and its rights. They make decisions on its use and exploitation. It's a big deal and big business for them. Izzy has no say if his song gets used in the new DiCaprio movie and how they should charge for its use. How much of an advance on a merch deal, etc...Thats not a big difference in position? 

Everyone has their publishing rights. Everyone gets paid what they're owed. No one is being short changed and ripped off for its past success on that front. No one is arguing that. 

this. 

To a few posters, the Partnership Agreement is essentially just controls licensing. It isn't the band seeing as, Axl withdrew from it and formed a new partnership, i.e. nugnr (his words). It would not shock me if Slash and Duff were salaried to be honest, salaried musicians of (technically) Nugnr. It would certainly be a whopping salary but it would still be a salary.

Slash and Duff (and Axl) can veto and license GN'R material.

Izzy cannot.

That is the only difference.

• Like 1