Izzy Stradlin comments on reunion

Before the reunion Duff and Izzy posted an image of the two of them together and Duff gave that comment about loving to work with Izzy and he knows that if Izzy says he has a riff ready for a song, that that is completely the case.  I think they both worked on that "What it Takes to be a Man" song for Duff's recent book.  For years everyone has said Axl and Izzy are practically brothers.  There is that story (I don't know if it's from Izzy or what) that Izzy was supposed to meet Axl at a hotel room to see if they would go to the rn'r hall of fame induction and Axl didn't show up for the meeting and from there Izzy knew he wouldn't be going to it either.  I have a hard time believing Duff, Axl and Slash would all do Izzy wrong here but at the same time I'm not discounting what Izzy is saying either

Stinson seemed loyal to Axl and NuGunz but he left.  I don't want to say he left to make room for Duff and the NITL tour, or if he knew he would be asked to leave for Duff and the NITL tour.  Either way, he's gone at the perfect moment for Duff and the NITL tour.  Would Fortus do the same for Izzy?  I don't know.  Has Axl (and/or others like Duff and Slash) always viewed Izzy's potential role in this tour being the same as Steven's?  Leaving Izzy feeling a lack of motivation to pursue this?  Because if Axl always viewed Izzy's role in this as a limited role, then Izzy would be getting less money and that goes with Izzy's claim but it also provides some insight into why he would be getting less money

Duff seems to adore Izzy.  The GN'R camp said a few weeks ago that Izzy is like family.  Axl and Izzy are known to be brothers and Izzy showed up for NuGuns a few times.  I don't want to discount what Izzy is saying but I would guess there's more to the story than what Izzy's tweet explains

It is kind of sad.  Will the AFD 5 ever be all cool with each other at the same time ever again? 

Edited by Caught_in_a_Coma

28 minutes ago, cooker said:

What's the point of these video clips? He wasn't involved with the band at the time. Such a controversial thing to say. "I'm not involved"

I've never said it was controversial (in fact I find it extremely obvious) nor it was something against Slash. It's a response to those who say that Slash deserves more than Izzy 'cause he was involved in the band/brand in the last 25 years when he clearly didn't give a shit and all he did was have lawyers blocking some of the disgusting shit Axl was trying to release under the GNR name (like a DVD with Dj Ashba on lead guitar).

34 minutes ago, NicDwolfwood said:

who the fuck has said that???

The argument isnt who cared...Its who remained in the fucking partnership. Slash and Duff remained partnered with Axl in terms of business. we know they quit the band and all shit on each other at different times. 

this is not at all relavant to the thread. 

No, that's YOUR argument. There's been comments about Izzy not giving a shit for 25 years while the others did and worked so hard (?) to make this reunion happen and to keep GNR alive.

Everyting in this thread is irrelevant and stupid anyway. Most "GNR fans" take Axl's (and whoever is with him) side no matter what happens. There were people defending him when he called Slash a fn' cancer!! There were so called GNR fans who would insult Slash non-stop, calling him an attention whore, liar and so on. Now all those stupid comments were replaced with "Izzy is irrelevant", "he hasn't toured in 25 years", "he can't play his own songs", "all he cares about is the money".

All I know is, if Izzy was so desperate to get money, he could have joined Axl's band or VR, yet he didn't. On the other hand, the guy who talked shit about his four bandmates, played the victim and swore he would never share a stage with Slash again, is.... well, playing with Slash again. FOR THE MONEY.

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, BorderlineCrazy said:

I've never said it was controversial (in fact I find it extremely obvious) nor it was something against Slash. It's a response to those who say that Slash deserves more than Izzy 'cause he was involved in the band/brand in the last 25 years when he clearly didn't give a shit and all he did was have lawyers blocking some of the disgusting shit Axl was trying to release under the GNR name (like a DVD with Dj Ashba on lead guitar).

No, that's YOUR argument. There's been comments about Izzy not giving a shit for 25 years while the others did and worked so hard (?) to make this reunion happen and to keep GNR alive.

Everyting in this thread is irrelevant and stupid anyway. Most "GNR fans" take Axl's (and whoever is with him) side no matter what happens. There were people defending him when he called Slash a fn' cancer!! There were so called GNR fans who would insult Slash non-stop, calling him an attention whore, liar and so on. Now all those stupid comments were replaced with "Izzy is irrelevant", "he hasn't toured in 25 years", "he can't play his own songs", "all he cares about is the money".

All I know is, if Izzy was so desperate to get money, he could have joined Axl's band or VR, yet he didn't. On the other hand, the guy who talked shit about his four bandmates, played the victim and swore he would never share a stage with Slash again, is.... well, playing with Slash again. FOR THE MONEY.

Axl has done a lot for this tour and shown a lot of growth (not letting down the Troubadour reunion show despite breaking his foot 1 song into it, doing an amazing job at double duties between GNR and AXL/DC, never having any outbursts, following a schedule and showing up on time for the NITL shows).  Axl deserves so much appreciation for all of this

I get that Axl has made mistakes, but the seemingly unfiltered disdain some GN'R fans hold for Axl feels so biased against him and unjustified some times.  What if Axl just bounced early on in the UYI tour?  Would he get the same pass for it Izzy does?  Izzy disappears from the limelight and he's a cool dude.  Axl goes reclusive and he's "wasting the brand".  The double standards get pretty frustrating

I will never understand why Axl gets so much flack for the cancer comment about Slash.  "Someone who hates somebody says something mean about them! All this and other shocking news tonight at 11!"

• Like 3

39 minutes ago, RONIN said:

So tour, cash out, no new material. Seems to be GnRs MO these days.

What Incentive would the band have to release new material? It Is all about the money and there certainly Isn't any of that In a new album. So touring and cashing out as you put It Is where it's at.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Caught_in_a_Coma said:

Axl has done a lot for this tour and shown a lot of growth (not letting down the Troubadour reunion show despite breaking his foot 1 song into it, doing an amazing job at double duties between GNR and AXL/DC, never having any outbursts, following a schedule and showing up on time for the NITL shows).  Axl deserves so much appreciation for all of this

I get that Axl has made mistakes, but the seemingly unfiltered disdain some GN'R fans hold for Axl feels so biased against him and unjustified some times.  What if Axl just bounced early on in the UYI tour?  Would he get the same pass for it Izzy does?  Izzy disappears from the limelight and he's a cool dude.  Axl goes reclusive and he's "wasting the brand".  The double standards get pretty frustrating

I will never understand why Axl gets so much flack for the cancer comment about Slash.  "Someone who hates somebody says something mean about them! All this and other shocking news tonight at 11!". 

Well calling somebody, a former associate/friend, a cancer, is about as nasty an insult one could conjure up. He could have just called Slash an ''arsehole'' or ''wanker'' but a cancer. Cancer is (often terminal) cellular growth perceived as a sort of blight on the human body and human well being, a blight best removed through chemotherapy or surgery!

22 hours ago, MillionsOfSpiders said:

No wonder they're not comfortable playing Don't Cry and Patience in the same show. Keep playing shit CD songs and cover versions instead. 

SLighty off topic but i have to respond to this. I can't stand both these songs being in the setlist, with Nov Rain there as well, and solo spots, its makes for such a slow monotonous gig/setlist and eats up far too much time with 'slow it down a bit' music. TIL as well, needs to go from the set for the same reasons, but at least its a little 'newer'.

2 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

Well calling somebody, a former associate/friend, a cancer, is about as nasty an insult one could conjure up. He could have just called Slash an ''arsehole'' or ''wanker'' but a cancer. Cancer is (often terminal) cellular growth perceived as a sort of blight on the human body and human well being, a blight best removed through chemotherapy or surgery!

He also said he was irreplaceable and his absence was the reason he couldn't do another record like AFD

3 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

Well there is always that: ''I love your work on AFD. Would you do another record before the chemo destroys you?''!!

LOL.  I know Axl has done bad things.  But the way Izzy is always portrayed as some martyr wronged by Satan in any conversations involving him and Axl being at ends with each other feels so biased when you look at GN'R history objectively

And maybe I shouldn't defend Axl on this.  Maybe Axl, Duff and Slash or maybe just Axl told Izzy about the tour, explained his role would be limited (something like Steven's role) and he can take that or leave that.

39 minutes ago, GNR 1991 said:

I'm just proposing perhaps Izzy, who has a history of not exactly enjoying touring (especially stadiums/arenas), couldn't agree to terms that were offered, based on the longevity of the tour. Another issue could be Izzy only wanted to plug in for guest appearances, which I think would alter his earnings significantly and rightfully so.

I don't think so.  I think this is all about the money.  And the 3 of them don't want to give a full share to Izzy.

Also, let's not forget the proximate cause of all the dissension:  Axl's drive for power in the band.   You can make claims about each original member having some role in leaving, but the heart is Axl's power plays:

1. Axl was already angling to get rid of Steven Adler when Axl fucked Steven's girlfriend live on Rocket Queen.   Really?  Who is going to claim that wasn't an attempt to push Steven out?  Not exactly conducive to band chemistry.

2. Axl tried to force a contract on Izzy in 1991 that would reduce his share of the band's income and limit his movement on stage.   Ridiculous!

3. Axl threatened not to go on stage one day unless the rest of the band signed ownership of the "Guns n' Roses" name to Axl.  (Since the name came from Tracii "Guns" and Axl "Rose", the name might not have had IP rights otherwise).

4. Axl tried to force employment contracts on Slash and Duff in 1996.  That made them leave.

5. So let's not push it too far with blaming Izzy.  Axl wants to pay him less, and Izzy's saying that if this is a real reunion of Izzy's band, then Izzy should get his fair share.  I can see disagreeing with Izzy's demand to get fair share after leaving pretty early.  But I don't see any basis for saying Izzy's the problem here.  C'mon

1 hour ago, F*ck Fear said:

I think 2 guys who wrote Contraband and 1 guy who wrote Chinese Democracy will do just fine making a new album.

I think when it comes to deeper cuts in GN'R's limited library of music, Axl outshines Izzy (I'm not saying he outshines him by a lot and I LOVE Dust N' Bones and 14 years) but when it comes to a lot of their hits, I have to be honest, Izzy was really central on crafting a lot of that stuff.  Patience (I think Izzy essentially wrote all of that), Don't Cry and You Could Be Mine (I thought the lyrics for Don't Cry were pretty evenly split between Izzy and Axl but I could be wrong on this) are some of their most successful singles

1 hour ago, sjlgnr said:

Axl was already angling to get rid of Steven Adler when Axl fucked Steven's girlfriend live on Rocket Queen.   Really?  Who is going to claim that wasn't an attempt to push Steven out?  Not exactly conducive to band chemistry.

Really? Of all the lousy stuff Axl has done, you're attacking him for this? Steven was cheating on that girl at the time and she wanted revenge on him. Axl helped, lol. 

By the way, you are wrong about the stage threat. Slash and Duff both lied through their teeth on that one. Alan Niven, who can't stand Axl, has confirmed that the Slash/Duff story about the name rights never fucking happened. They weren't on tour at the time and the guys all agreed to sign off on it...hands down the dumbest thing they've ever done. They tried to cover up their idiotic decision by lying in the media about the circumstances. 

Edited by GNRfan2008

1 hour ago, RONIN said:

He was forced out of GnR in 1991 when Axl gave him the contract to demote him and lower his percentage in the band. Izzy walked. Axl did the same thing to Slash in '95 and Slash left the band. 

This was a chance for the redhead to fix his bad karma and do the right thing by giving Izzy his rightful stake in the band. Axl, being the greedy asshole that he is, fucked his best friend over...again. To add insult to injury, Duff and Slash were complicit. From Duff's comment about Izzy (if true) -- he may have played a significant role in cutting out Izzy.

Izzy deserves more than the bones they threw at him. 

He wasn't forced out of anything. He was given a deal based on what his lead singer thought at the time was warranted given his general disinterest in doing anything with the band at the time besides show up to play the gig. 

Throwing blame at someone is pointless. we don't know all the facts..Id rather not get into that stupid, tired discussion of who's at fault. 

my point is, and remains, Izzy feels he deserves equal cut. His mates dont feel the same. simple as that, end of story. everything else is pointless babble by everyone else. Im not here to pick sides. As they say there is 2 sides to every story, or in this case 4. If you ask each of them what the fuck is the hold up, I guarantee they'd each say something different. 

Like I said before, you cant have it both ways. Izzy cant be the saint in this, and his mates be the greedy whores. It simply does not work that way. If you disagree that is fine. You and Diesel Daisy could come off as Izzy apologists or fanboys at times with your staunch support of everything Izzy with all due respect. while the other 3 are devils and assholes. I prefer to be diplomatic and see it from all angles, as with Guns N Roses, everything has multiple versions of the story.

Edited by NicDwolfwood

21 minutes ago, sjlgnr said:

I don't think so.  I think this is all about the money.  And the 3 of them don't want to give a full share to Izzy.

Also, let's not forget the proximate cause of all the dissension:  Axl's drive for power in the band.   You can make claims about each original member having some role in leaving, but the heart is Axl's power plays:

1. Axl was already angling to get rid of Steven Adler when Axl fucked Steven's girlfriend live on Rocket Queen.   Really?  Who is going to claim that wasn't an attempt to push Steven out?  Not exactly conducive to band chemistry.

2. Axl tried to force a contract on Izzy in 1991 that would reduce his share of the band's income and limit his movement on stage.   Ridiculous!

3. Axl threatened not to go on stage one day unless the rest of the band signed ownership of the "Guns n' Roses" name to Axl.  (Since the name came from Tracii "Guns" and Axl "Rose", the name might not have had IP rights otherwise).

4. Axl tried to force employment contracts on Slash and Duff in 1996.  That made them leave.

5. So let's not push it too far with blaming Izzy.  Axl wants to pay him less, and Izzy's saying that if this is a real reunion of Izzy's band, then Izzy should get his fair share.  I can see disagreeing with Izzy's demand to get fair share after leaving pretty early.  But I don't see any basis for saying Izzy's the problem here.  C'mon

Small nitpick about #2.  I believe Axl wanted Izzy to move more onstage, not less.  lol

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, Caught_in_a_Coma said:

I do appreciate all that (showing up on time not so much, it's insane we're thankful for something like that), especially the effort he's doing to be singing the way he's doing it. Also the way he handled his broken foot. And he's my favorite singer ever.

32 minutes ago, Caught_in_a_Coma said:

I don't hate Axl at all, I love him and admire him. 

If Axl quit for a good reason (as Izzy did), I would understand it. There's no such double standard, though. Izzy left but GNR went on, Axl on the other hand pushed everyone away, kept the name and barely did anything at all with it.

42 minutes ago, Caught_in_a_Coma said:

I will never understand why Axl gets so much flack for the cancer comment about Slash.  "Someone who hates somebody says something mean about them! All this and other shocking news tonight at 11!"

If the comment was made when Slash left, I would get it. You could say "well, he's angry" or whatever, but it was made 13 years later. The fact that he still hated Slash in 2009 is quite unbelievable.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, F*ck Fear said:

I think 2 guys who wrote Contraband and 1 guy who wrote Chinese Democracy will do just fine making a new album.

What about Dizzy? are you forgetting his contributions to CD? :) Sorry Dizzy ;) Fortus, and Frank didn't really write for CD I but I'm confident they can add to a new record. 

If Slash has a couple of songs as good as the material from World on Fire I'd be over the fucking moon with a new GnR record... having said that I'd be over the moon with ANY new GnR record. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BorderlineCrazy said:

I fail to see how the videos prove that inane point. This shit has nothing to do with who deserves anything...Its as simple as that those who remained in the partnership all of this time, are the ones that are now reaping the rewards and hold all the power. Simple as that. 

Its not about Izzy being desperate for money. But It seems that for the past 25 years anytime that he has joined GNR for anything there has always needed to be a sizeable amount of money behind it for him to do it. That was the case in 93 when he covered for Gilby. He even admitted that he came back because they owed him bread, among other reasons being him wanting to see if the band changed during his time away(which it clearly didn't). That was the case again in 06(according to Axl) and that seems to be the case right now. Its not my place to say who deserves what, neither is it yours...Its all speculation. we all go off what we think is the deal. but the reality is we know jack shit. They each have every right to feel the way they do when it comes to it. 

Izzy didnt have the forsight in sticking it out. Slash and Duff did. Izzy bought himself out. That was part of his agreement with Axl, if he wasnt gonna be in the band he had to settle for couple million and walk. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, BorderlineCrazy said:

If the comment was made when Slash left, I would get it. You could say "well, he's angry" or whatever, but it was made 13 years later. The fact that he still hated Slash in 2009 is quite unbelievable.

I think it's more unbelievable that he was willing to set aside some very legit issues with Slash to do this reunion thing. Money talks I suppose. The cancer comment was really horrible considering Slash's mom died of cancer not long before Axl made that statement. 

4 minutes ago, BorderlineCrazy said:

I do appreciate all that (showing up on time not so much, it's insane we're thankful for something like that), especially the effort he's doing to be singing the way he's doing it. Also the way he handled his broken foot. And he's my favorite singer ever.

I don't hate Axl at all, I love him and admire him. 

If Axl quit for a good reason (as Izzy did), I would understand it. There's no such double standard, though. Izzy left but GNR went on, Axl on the other hand pushed everyone away, kept the name and barely did anything at all with it.

Reading Duff's book, it's pretty clear that Axl really wanted the band to stay together, and that he was trying to figure out a way to pacify everyone... all the while he was trying to get himself together mentally and legally. I don't think we've ever got the whole story on the split. I think we've heard a lot of "he made us miserable, I had to quit" but after Duff's book I changed my mind a bit. 

Axl definitely didn't want Duff to quit, it seemed like he was the closest with Duff than any other member from 93-97.

12 hours ago, DieselDaisy said:

Don't forget that the best song by a million miles Slash has done post Illusion has been ''Ghosts''. It took Ian Astbury's singing/lyrics and Stradlin's punky rhythm playing to get rid of the cheesiness which tends to surround Slash's non-GN'R work.

One thing is true. If Messrs. Axl Slash and Duff ever decide to do an album, they are fucked. You can argue about Izzy's stage presence all you want but you cannot deny the songwriting he brought to those GN'R albums.

People keep saying this but Izzys last few songs his released the song writing has been horrible. Lyrically I havnt been really impressed since 117. Its been going downhill for me from that point.

:facepalm: FP Money

They can fight about it, money, some bag of gold. They can fight about it, money, the big wheels roll. And I'm taking the long way home today.

Really got no worries either way. Cuttin' deals, shakin' hands, hopin' it feels, open plans. They can fight about it, money, it's just a bag of gold. They can fight about it, money, feel the big wheels roll. And I'm taking the long way home today. Really in no hurry either way. Open fields, open planes, open gates, open lands, open space, open sky, open mind, open race. They can fight about it, money, it's a bag of gold. They can fight about it, money, the story goes.

:facepalm::facepalm: Walk n Song

Yes, I am walkin’ down the street
Yeah, I am walkin’ down the street

[Verse 1]
Walkin’ past a concrete wall
I hear a big dog barkin’ there
So I keep walkin’ down the street
Got no place I need to be
Sky is blue, the trees are green
So I keep walkin’ down the street

[Verse 2] 
Walkin’ past a chain link fence
Couple big dogs barkin’ at
Yeah, I am walkin’ down the street
Future's just a mystery
Past is just your history
So keep on walkin', I'll just see

[Outro]
Yes I am good today, tomorrows better, if you find a way
Yes I am good today, tomorrows better when you find a way

Edited by vloors

2 minutes ago, NicDwolfwood said:

I fail to see how the videos prove that inane point. This shit has nothing to do with who deserves anything...Its as simple as that those who remained in the partnership all of this time, are the ones that are now reaping the rewards and hold all the power. Simple as that. 

Again, some people talked as if Slash was taking care of GNR during the last 25 years, which is ridiculous. Never said you said so, though.

5 minutes ago, NicDwolfwood said:

Its not about Izzy being desperate for money. But It seems that for the past 25 years anytime that he has joined GNR for anything there has always needed to be a sizeable amount of money behind it for him to do it. That was the case in 93 when he covered for Gilby. He even admitted that he came back because they owed him bread, among other reasons being him wanting to see if the band changed during his time away(which it clearly didn't). That was the case again in 06(according to Axl) and that seems to be the case right now. Its not my place to say who deserves what, neither is it yours...Its all speculation. we all go off what we think is the deal. but the reality is we know jack shit. They each have every right to feel the way they do when it comes to it. 

Well, the 93 thing, if it's as Izzy said, there's nothing wrong. The band OWED him money and so he agreed to fill in for Gilby if they gave him HIS money. Don't even know if he got extra money for those shows. The other times he joined Axl on stage, I have no idea what was the agreement or what was he given.

I understand those who control the band get to decide who's in and who isn't and under what terms, I'm just disappointed at the decision they made regarding Izzy, and also disappointed at comments I've been reading.

10 minutes ago, GNRfan2008 said:

I think it's more unbelievable that he was willing to set aside some very legit issues with Slash to do this reunion thing. Money talks I suppose. The cancer comment was really horrible considering Slash's mom died of cancer not long before Axl made that statement. 

In Axl's favor, I don't think he thought of Slash's mom when he made the comment, don't think he realized. At least, I'd like to believe that.

9 minutes ago, Tom2112 said:

Reading Duff's book, it's pretty clear that Axl really wanted the band to stay together, and that he was trying to figure out a way to pacify everyone... all the while he was trying to get himself together mentally and legally. I don't think we've ever got the whole story on the split. I think we've heard a lot of "he made us miserable, I had to quit" but after Duff's book I changed my mind a bit. 

Axl definitely didn't want Duff to quit, it seemed like he was the closest with Duff than any other member from 93-97.

I actually agree about Axl wanting to keep Duff but he definitely made them all miserable despite what they did or didn't say. Waiting for hours for him to show up is a horrible thing but the riots are even worse. I don't know if I could stay in a band where one of the members is causing riots out of nowhere risking thousand of people.

• Like 1

News flash for all the blindly devoted "Izzy is better than the rest of them" people: clearly deep down, he has the same rock star ego and greedy streak that has plagued almost every big band since the beginning of rock n roll. He is not the "I'm too cool to give a fuck" dude after all. He's just like every other (ex) rock star, and the rest of us too. 

The other 3 (and Adler too) have always indicated that deep in their hearts they wanted to get back together and be GnFnR again. (Terrible things were said, but so were late night doorbells rung and other comments of missing each other too). Izzy has made no such overtures in the last 25 years. That's the difference in my book.

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, BorderlineCrazy said:

Again, some people talked as if Slash was taking care of GNR during the last 25 years, which is ridiculous. Never said you said so, though.

Well, the 93 thing, if it's as Izzy said, there's nothing wrong. The band OWED him money and so he agreed to fill in for Gilby if they gave him HIS money. Don't even know if he got extra money for those shows. The other times he joined Axl on stage, I have no idea what was the agreement or what was he given.

I understand those who control the band get to decide who's in and who isn't and under what terms, I'm just disappointed at the decision they made regarding Izzy, and also disappointed at comments I've been reading.

Gotcha. my mistake.

Im just as disappointed as you are. Id love for Izzy to be involved with this. which is why im not taking sides. as everyone has faults and is correct in their thinking based on the circumstances. 

like DieselDaisy said many pages back, Izzy had that cool laid-back junkie vibe, especially in the early days. Once sober that changed a bit, and he just sat back in the shadows a bit with a cigarette in his mouth and doing his thing. But he'd be a valuable member if they plan on recording. right now its distant, but as all things GNR, if it aint a mess, its not proper..lol