Izzy Stradlin comments on reunion

29 minutes ago, GibsonLP said:

The thing is though some people are seeing it from the exact opposite end and making out that Izzy doesn't matter, which is madness. To think that the band would have the legacy they have without Izzy's involvement is just naivety or picking bits of history that you want to see. "Guns N Roses are doing fine without Izzy so he was never that important" = "Boeing are making planes just fine without Orville and Wilbur Wright therefore they were never important to aviation".

Of course they don't 'need' Izzy RIGHT NOW- the success of the tour has proved that already. But then using that logic they probably don't need Duff either, because a tour with Axl, Slash and Izzy would be equally huge. Of course the band can get by without paying Izzy, just the same as they could get away with eating Subway sandwiches each night before the show, but I'm fairly certain they're choosing to burn a bit of their cash because they WANT a nicer dinner. This band is and has always been a jigsaw puzzle; on their own they can be quite average at times, but when together magic happens. Unfortunately they live in a world where people tell them everything they do is amazing so they have an inflated idea of their own individual contribution. They need to take a step back and see the whole picture - Izzy is very definitely in that picture

I agree, which is why I said that there is never middle ground with this fanbase. its always one extreme or another. Very fickle if you ask me. one day, its all Roses with the big 3, and then suddenly they're the bad ones because some part of the fans think they're fucking Izzy over, when in reality we dont know shit. 

I think both sides are wrong. people overrate his importance, and others dismiss it completely. when it shouldnt be that way. Ive seen some people on here say, that the stuff that doesnt have Izzy on it on the Illusions is shit, and thats simply not true..lol 

The importance argument is not really important for this discussion. They not giving Izzy equal cut doesnt mean they dont think he is important. But they may not think he deserves it or its justifiable because he hasnt had much to do with GNR for 25 years. whether the big 3 were fighting each other or people trying to exploit the GNR name doesn't matter. they still took care of GNR. Izzy didnt. 

what bothers me is Izzy throws little bits of info. but not the whole story. Which shifts alot of shit his friends way. making them the bad guys, and him exempt, which is think isnt fair.

2 hours ago, Pink Rose said:

Axl felt abused?  Gimme a break!  He basically forced everyone else out of the band and stole the name all for himself! 

Axl felt used. As in Izzy acted all buddy, buddy hey I want to hang out and play with you when behind the scenes he was holding out his hand for money. Used as in Izzy was only there for the paycheck. Not abused.

5 minutes ago, NicDwolfwood said:

I agree, which is why I said that there is never middle ground with this fanbase. its always one extreme or another. Very fickle if you ask me. one day, its all Roses with the big 3, and then suddenly they're the bad ones because some part of the fans think they're fucking Izzy over, when in reality we dont know shit. 

I think both sides are wrong. people overrate his importance, and others dismiss it completely. when it shouldnt be that way. Ive seen some people on here say, that the stuff that doesnt have Izzy on it on the Illusions is shit, and thats simply not true..lol 

The importance argument is not really important for this discussion. They not giving Izzy equal cut doesnt mean they dont think he is important. But they may not think he deserves it or its justifiable because he hasnt had much to do with GNR for 25 years. whether the big 3 were fighting each other or people trying to exploit the GNR name doesn't matter. they still took care of GNR. Izzy didnt. 

what bothers me is Izzy throws little bits of info. but not the whole story. Which shifts alot of shit his friends way. making them the bad guys, and him exempt, which is think isnt fair.

True, we don't know. 

Not sure about the 25 year thing. He had more live appearances with the band during the nuguns period than anyone else did

I feel like I am the only one who loves this topic. I like the back and forth debates and the speculation (though a few of us have a problem with understanding speculation and opinions are not facts and that just because someone disagrees with us does not mean they are wrong nor are they stupid).  I like seeing people state their position and explain why that is their position and rebuttal others who point out the flaws. It is unfortunate that many times it devolves into "you are an Axlite" "you are a [whatever the Izzy equivalent is- apparently he isn't hated enough to have his own insulting coined term].

I guess many fans just take this too personally.

1 minute ago, sanity_lost said:

I feel like I am the only one who loves this topic. I like the back and forth debates and the speculation (though a few of us have a problem with understanding speculation and opinions are not facts and that just because someone disagrees with us does not mean they are wrong nor are they stupid).  I like seeing people state their position and explain why that is their position and rebuttal others who point out the flaws. It is unfortunate that many times it devolves into "you are an Axlite" "you are a [whatever the Izzy equivalent is- apparently he isn't hated enough to have his own insulting coined term].

I guess many fans just take this too personally.

I think you are referring to Izzholes

2 hours ago, Asia said:

You're totally out of your mind and unfortunately you're not the only one here . The hysteria in this thread has reached some truly sick levels.You got what seemed completely impossible only a year ago, you got Axl, Slash and Duff delivering at the highest level, you got songs we were never to hear again live, you got a good chance for new music finally and you say that you'd rather have none of this because Izzy made a fucking tweet? For God's sake, people grow up, stop behaving like butthurt three year olds cause that is really getting pathetic.  Go to the shows if you enjoy them, don't go if you don't, but stop making a dramatic soap opera out of it all and don't die for Izzy, cause believe me, he wouldn't die for you. And he's more than fine, he can take great care of himself.

Ahhahaha! I've read only probably less than 5 percent of this thread but man you nailed it...not only for this thread but about half the posts on this board it seems like. Everything from whether Axl and Slash are making enough eye contact to prove they really "like each other" to how much weight they should be losing, what they're wearing, etc.  The emotions among "true fans" runs high I guess, but on more than a couple of occasions I've found myself asking, "Wait this is a Guns n' Roses board right?" You could be fooled into thinking you're reading the letters section of Sixteen magazine.

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, Mararoyce said:

Wouldn't it be interesting, if after the Europe and down south tours, they would eventually swing around again to North America. Then, at this point Izzy would surprisingly join the band for the 2nd tour, and all of us who already spent our money on the first tour, would go again to see them for the 2nd tour, because of Izzy. What a money maker that would be. This is a publicist dream. Am I dreaming here? Could be a possibility?

It would make a difference for hardcore fans, but to make $117 million dollars you need to sell tickets to a mainstream audience who only know Axl, Slash and the greatest hits. 

Plus, they may have already saturated the touring market by trying to play a second stadium show in some cities only to have ticket sales fall flat. 

When they come back, the totally unrealistic dream scenario would be: 

- New material

- All five original members involved, even if guest appearances and not the whole show. 

- Shows in arenas and large theaters with more affordable ticket prices. 

But folks, that will NEVER happen. This is it. Enjoy what we have before it goes away again. 

• Like 1

I for one could not care less if izzy never shows up again, my first live show was donnington 88 and my last was glasgow 2012. Ive seen izzy 3 times live with gnr and in my opinion he offers no more than fortus or gilby. If he never wants to show up again, well who cares? 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Radio flyer said:

It would make a difference for hardcore fans, but to make $117 million dollars you need to sell tickets to a mainstream audience who only know Axl, Slash and the greatest hits. 

Plus, they may have already saturated the touring market by trying to play a second stadium show in some cities only to have ticket sales fall flat. 

When they come back, the totally unrealistic dream scenario would be: 

- New material

- All five original members involved, even if guest appearances and not the whole show. 

- Shows in arenas and large theaters with more affordable ticket prices. 

But folks, that will NEVER happen. This is it. Enjoy what we have before it goes away again. 

Just dreaming....

7 minutes ago, Pink Rose said:

LOL!  He just wrote all the songs that Richard and Gilby play.

I for one could not care less if izzy never shows up again, my first live show was donnington 88 and my last was glasgow 2012. Ive seen izzy 3 times live with gnr and in my opinion he offers no more than fortus or gilby. If he never wants to show up again, well who cares? 

great songwriter, i dont dispute that. All im saying his stage presence is no better than fortus or gilby

4 minutes ago, Pink Rose said:

LOL!  He just wrote all the songs that Richard and Gilby play.

I just don't get those comments. Ok, it's their right not to miss Izzy but why try to reduce the importance of his contributions to the band that are way obvious? It's absurd. He "offered" us Appetite for destruction to begin with. Well, actually he offered us Guns n roses first, but you see, that's not important, Gilby or Fortus could have done that too.

12 minutes ago, BrayWyatt said:

well, allot of ppl care including myself

hell this thread 42 pages of ppl bickering about it

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Pink Rose said:

I'm really sick of this "Big Three" title.  I love Duff but out of the original 5, he is the least important.  In all reality, this is Axl and Slash back together with a 3rd original member.  This tour would do exactly the same without Duff and with either Steven or Izzy.   Duff joined Izzy's band!  Not the other way around!  He even said so in his movie,  "Izzy, this is YOUR band!"  And in his book he praised Izzy basically saying Izzy was the most the important member of the band.  Now, he says he isn't going to allow Izzy back in the partnership, ever!  Sure, now that there are millions of dollars on the line he becomes a two faced double talker,  stabbing his friend in the back!  

lol... you're the type i was referring to where there is no middle ground..

WHO ARE YOU to determine who is important? We cant establish that all 5 of them were essential to the magic that was GNR during the Appetite era. only to then follow up by saying X member was more important than Y or Z members. thats total bullshit and hypocritical.

Duff is a very important member to guns and always has been. he's the one that holds done the rhythm section, acting as conductor. he's not some average bass player like Nikki Sixx or any of the rock bassists from the 80's. Duff's playing is actually very cool. melodic and punky. listen to that roving section in the breakdown of jungle, or the bass playing on Sweet Child, the funky grooves on Rocket Queen etc etc. Only he could of layed down some shit like that in that era. 

• Like 3

43 minutes ago, GibsonLP said:

True, we don't know. 

Not sure about the 25 year thing. He had more live appearances with the band during the nuguns period than anyone else did

Duff played on a whole leg of the tour when Stinson wasnt available. Full shows, not just guest appearances on a few songs. Id imagine the tally of Live shows played with Nu-Guns is probably pretty close between Duff and Izzy

Just now, NicDwolfwood said:

Duff played on a whole leg of the tour when Stinson wasnt available. Full shows, not just guest appearances on a few songs. Id imagine the tally of Live shows played with Nu-Guns is probably pretty close between Duff and Izzy

That was getting to the point where Duff was coming back. Izzy did his appearances over a much longer spread

45 minutes ago, Pink Rose said:

I'm really sick of this "Big Three" title.  I love Duff but out of the original 5, he is the least important.  In all reality, this is Axl and Slash back together with a 3rd original member.  This tour would do exactly the same without Duff and with either Steven or Izzy.   Duff joined Izzy's band!  Not the other way around!  He even said so in his movie,  "Izzy, this is YOUR band!"  And in his book he praised Izzy basically saying Izzy was the most the important member of the band.  Now, he says he isn't going to allow Izzy back in the partnership, ever!  Sure, now that there are millions of dollars on the line he becomes a two faced double talker,  stabbing his friend in the back!  

Duff is the reason Axl and Slash finally stopped their feud. He's also a hell of a bass player. Guns wouldn't have been Guns without him and same can be said of the other 4 guys. 

2 minutes ago, GNRfan2008 said:

Duff is the reason Axl and Slash finally stopped their feud. He's also a hell of a bass player. Guns wouldn't have been Guns without him and same can be said of the other 4 guys. 

The point is, Duff is more expendable than Izzy. Axl replaced the King of Beers with Tommy Stinson. No one in Axl's cover band could replace Izzy and his songwriting. Game, set, blouses.

2 minutes ago, RONIN said:

The point is, Duff is more expendable than Izzy. Axl replaced the King of Beers with Tommy Stinson. No one in Axl's cover band could replace Izzy and his songwriting. Game, set, blouses.

Who wrote the bass lines on Appetite? It wasn't Tommy Stinson. None of the Appetite 5 are expendable. Izzy himself has said this when looking back on Adler's firing. 

1 minute ago, bigpoop said:

Could Axl and Duff have booked Coachella with DJ still in the band?  Not a chance.

How about Axl and Slash with Tommy still on bass?  Easily.

Axl and Slash wouldn't be reunited without Duff. Not sure why the anti-Duff people continue to ignore this. 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Darkenchantress said:

I just don't get those comments. Ok, it's their right not to miss Izzy but why try to reduce the importance of his contributions to the band that are way obvious? It's absurd. He "offered" us Appetite for destruction to begin with. Well, actually he offered us Guns n roses first, but you see, that's not important, Gilby or Fortus could have done that too.

I don't intend to diminish his contributions but you are seriously overestimating them. He offered us appetite, really? You're trying to say the record would be the same without Axl and Slash? That's ridiculous. He offered us one fifth of appetite and one fifth of GNR, well at best you can say one third as Steven and Duff added less to the songwriting, but no less and no more. Izzy himself didn't create neither this band nor it's music.