Izzy Stradlin comments on reunion

1 minute ago, NicDwolfwood said:

True. but does that matter? appearances whether spread out or not is still the same tally once its added up.

Well you said he hasn't had much to do with the band for 25 years so the spread counts. Izzy played in 1994, 2006, and in 2012. He played with them live again 4 years before Duff did and then again before Duff did in 2014. To say he didn't have anything to do with the band for 25 years is a bit inaccurate

4 minutes ago, GNRfan2008 said:

Axl and Slash wouldn't be reunited without Duff. Not sure why the anti-Duff people continue to ignore this. 

I'm not an anti-Duff person. As you said, musically all five were irreplaceable. But the people arguing that Duff brings more to the table than Izzy are wrong.

Duff's presence sells no tickets that Axl and Slash didn't already sell. 

Edited by bigpoop

3 hours ago, GibsonLP said:

I think ultimately Izzy just wants to be treated as an equal. The guy has his name on the bulk of the material that's being played live yet they want to pay him as though he were a session musician. It doesn't matter what happened in the band since he quit, because they fucked it all up and burnt it to the ground. All of them. This year sees the phoenix taking flight again and how the hell they're neglecting to see that Izzy was there for every decent song they ever made together I'll never know. Strange class system going on in the band when Izzy gets treated as less essential than Dizzy

This.......

Treated as a equal. It was a chance to draw a line in the sand & say that side was a fuck up, moving forward lets do this right. Then negotiate, but not for guest spots or a few songs, that's insulting. He may not be at an even split with the others just now, but he deserves a very sizeable slice of the fucking pie. Revisit it again later, on the back of successful tours, possible new music, future touring & proven performance the situation could be looked at again. 

It annoys me mostly because I was holding out hope of the possibility of new music from them, new, new music, not CD2 retakes or any re polished turds from that era. 

That & it makes them all look far more human than they are held u to around here. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Asia said:

I don't intend to diminish his contributions but you are seriously overestimating them. He offered us appetite, really? You're trying to say the record would be the same without Axl and Slash? That's ridiculous. He offered us one fifth of appetite and one fifth of GNR, well at best you can say one third as Steven and Duff added less to the songwriting, but no less and no more. Izzy himself didn't create neither this band nor it's music.

Please tell me where did I say that Izzy alone created Guns n roses or AFD. Seriously, as I said clearly on my post I was talking about "his contributions" to the band, something that neither Fortus or Gilby did. 

1 minute ago, bigpoop said:

I'm not an anti-Duff person. As you said, musically all five were irreplaceable. But the people arguing that Duff brings more to the table than Izzy are wrong.

Duff's presence sells no tickets that Axl and Slash didn't already sell. 

No Duff coming back into Axl's life, no reunion between Axl and Slash. Duff is critically important glue holding together the two "ticket sellers" as you call them. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, GibsonLP said:

Well you said he hasn't had much to do with the band for 25 years so the spread counts. Izzy played in 1994, 2006, and in 2012. He played with them live again 4 years before Duff did and then again before Duff did in 2014. To say he didn't have anything to do with the band for 25 years is a bit inaccurate

Depends on context..saying not much doesnt mean he hasnt had anything to do with the band.. occasional live appearances for a song or two shouldn't be equal to playing full shows for an entire leg of a tour. or handling business behind the scenes, which both Slash and Duff did throughout various occasions even when they werent band members. 

53 minutes ago, BrayWyatt said:

I for one could not care less if izzy never shows up again, my first live show was donnington 88 and my last was glasgow 2012.

Ive seen izzy 3 times live with gnr and in my opinion he offers no more than fortus or gilby. If he never wants to show up again, well who cares? 

:facepalm: There should be banning's for this level of stupid. 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, RONIN said:

The point is, Duff is more expendable than Izzy. Axl replaced the King of Beers with Tommy Stinson. No one in Axl's cover band could replace Izzy and his songwriting. Game, set, blouses.

Tommy Stinson doesnt hold a candle to Duff's playing.. I never liked his playing with GNR. his tone was thin live. and of course the mixing mess that was Chinese Democracy swallows up whatever fucking basslines he layed down.

Like I said in another post. we cant say, "ohh the AFD lineup was magic" and then follow up it with X member is expendible or isnt as important than Y or Z. again hypocritical and painting a skewed picture of what is real and isnt. 

This shit has nothing to do with importance. The sticking point seems to be Big 3 dont agree with Izzy in terms of him having equal split as them. simple as that.. this importance argument is tiresome already..Its  like people dont get it, that it doesnt matter. those in power arent looking at it as who is important or not. But rather that they dont feel like splitting with Izzy for whatever reason. Only THEY know why. we can all speculate til we're blue in face. we're all gonna look fucking foolish once the real truth comes out anways. 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, NicDwolfwood said:

Depends on context..saying not much doesnt mean he hasnt had anything to do with the band.. occasional live appearances for a song or two shouldn't be equal to playing full shows for an entire leg of a tour. or handling business behind the scenes, which both Slash and Duff did throughout various occasions even when they werent band members. 

By the time Duff was playing full shows you could say he was basically back in the band again, even if it hadn't been made official. And if you're going to argue behind the scenes work is either that much commitment or deserving of band status then we might as well get the accountant on drums and Axl's lawyer on rhythm guitar. Because they did the hard work on that one. Saying yes or no to something, instructing a lawyer to do something, or turning up somewhere for 30 minutes to sign a document is hardly hard work or deserving of huge amounts more money than someone else who wrote two thirds of the originals that are being played live

1 minute ago, GibsonLP said:

By the time Duff was playing full shows you could say he was basically back in the band again, even if it hadn't been made official. And if you're going to argue behind the scenes work is either that much commitment or deserving of band status then we might as well get the accountant on drums and Axl's lawyer on rhythm guitar. Because they did the hard work on that one. Saying yes or no to something, instructing a lawyer to do something, or turning up somewhere for 30 minutes to sign a document is hardly hard work or deserving of huge amounts more money than someone else who wrote two thirds of the originals that are being played live

NO, you cant actually. He was cool with Axl by then yes, but he wasn't a member again, that was made clear back then. He said he was only there to help Axl out.. Axl had similar sentiments as well. 

LOL. that was funny. the accountant on drums and the lawyer on guitar thing.

To what extent they did things behind the scenes dealing with legalities and such, we dont know. so its foolish to assume its as simple as that. besides my point wasnt how much work they put in or not. but rather involvement. whether people like it or not, handling Business relating to GNR is still being involved in it. 

As far as writing 2/3 of the catalog, that ridiculous..that makes it seem like he wrote everything. which is far from the truth. The songs that are to his name are there, they are well known. But he didnt SOLELY write the bulk of the catalog, sorry. Thats exaggerating and giving someone more credit they deserve, while knocking down the contributions of others. bringing a riff, isnt writing a whole song, just like adding a lyric here, or a chorus there isnt either. But im not gonna get into that further as that is a whole nother can of worms that im not gonna get heated over as its a moot point. 

3 minutes ago, sonofnazareth said:

Izzy came out and handed them their asses on a plate with his twitter comment - A real badass. 

No, he looks like a butthurt celebrity ala Taylor Swift or Kanye West. Running to twitter is a bitch move. The band will move on to South America and destroy crowds while keyboard warrior Izzy will be scheming up his next tweet.

2 hours ago, Mararoyce said:

Wouldn't it be interesting, if after the Europe and down south tours, they would eventually swing around again to North America. Then, at this point Izzy would surprisingly join the band for the 2nd tour, and all of us who already spent our money on the first tour, would go again to see them for the 2nd tour, because of Izzy. What a money maker that would be. This is a publicist dream. Am I dreaming here? Could be a possibility?

Barring an emergency, I will be going to see them next time they come through either way anyway ;)

1 hour ago, GNRfan2008 said:

No Duff coming back into Axl's life, no reunion between Axl and Slash. Duff is critically important glue holding together the two "ticket sellers" as you call them. 

That's not how Axl described it in the interview that started all of this. And I didn't call anyone ticket sellers.  I was making a very basic point that seems to have gone over your head.

1 minute ago, bigpoop said:

That's not how Axl described it in the interview that started all of this. And I didn't call anyone ticket sellers.  I was making a very basic point that seems to have gone over your head.

Youre burying your head in the sand if you really believe Axl and Slash would be on stage together if not for Duff being a buffer/mediator.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, bigpoop said:

No, I understand the point just fine. You and I just disagree strongly on Duff's importance in the current situation. 

Guns n' Roses has had, by my count, 20 official band members. I think that says a lot about the job security, financial stability and creative satisfaction about everyone in the "Guns n' Roses, Inc."  not named Axl. 

Izzy doesn't want part of that shit unless he is paid as an equal, founding member for this tour that has now grossed $117 million dollars. 

They didn't meet his number, and I'm sure that Fortus comes at a price 1/8 the amount a founding member not named Steven Adler would demand. 

Edited by Radio flyer