Izzy Stradlin comments on reunion

9 hours ago, melonhead87 said:

This is exactly what we are saying. No one in a business is making the same across the board. Its based on importance and what you bring to the business. Again separate song writing and a world tour. Sure they need Izzy to make music. GNR isnt making music though. We're talking a world tour where Izzy is far from the biggest factor, as we can all see based on its success. Take out your emotions and think like a businessman. 

thats right, you need to be ruthless in business. YES. 

you are ruthless with everyone you make business with. YES

you are ruthless with the lawyers you hire, with the promoter you deal with, with the record company, your manager, roadies, everyone.

you are not ruthless with someone that you formed a band with, someone you wrote songs with, someone that you shared some of the best years of your life with. NO

you just dont do that.

12 minutes ago, ludurigan said:

thats right, you need to be ruthless in business. YES. 

you are ruthless with everyone you make business with. YES

you are ruthless with the lawyers you hire, with the promoter you deal with, with the record company, your manager, roadies, everyone.

you are not ruthless with someone that you formed a band with, someone you wrote songs with, someone that you shared some of the best years of your life with. NO

you just dont do that.

We don't know if Axl or whoever is being ruthless. We don't know the conditions.

Reading the old interviews, it seems that both Axl and Izzy have let each other down. I hope they can sit down and reconcile their disagreements.

1 hour ago, bigpoop said:

And in the end it's the fans that get screwed because they don't get to see the real band. No matter how good you may think Fortus and Ferrer are, they had nothing to do with making GNR great.

They simply were not  there. This whole thing would be a lot more special if all the people that actually were  there were involved.

Fortus and Ferrer have everything to do with making GNR great NOW. 

2 hours ago, Slash787 said:

You can't even compare Frank and Fortus with Izzy and Steven.

Izzy and Steven were the soul and sound of GNR. 

If Izzy and Steven were in the band and Duff and Slash were out, you would be saying they (Duff/Slash) were the soul and sound of GnR, and Izzy and Steven wouldn't be getting love from you. 

Just like countless other bands, GnR have had a ton of different members. It's absolutely pointless to whinge about it constantly. To my ears they sound great without Steven and Izzy (they are certainly tighter). Would it be cool to see them all on stage again? yes. Does it really matter if it happens? no. Are they going to get back together and make a new record? no, and they shouldn't! The AFD line up is great because it was short lived and never had a chance to over stay it's welcome. Let's not ruin that.

We'll see what happens over the next few months and years as far as full reunions go, it really is only a matter of time at this stage. 

Edited by Tom2112

35 minutes ago, Tom2112 said:

If Izzy and Steven were in the band and Duff and Slash were out, you would be saying they (Duff/Slash) were the soul and sound of GnR, and Izzy and Steven wouldn't be getting love from you. 

Izzy and Steven will always get love from me. Yeah I would cry if Duff and Slash were not there cause all 5 of them are equally important in my eyes.

• Like 1

If we're talking purely musically, GNR 2016 is a much better sounding band than GNR 1991. Sure we miss Izzy but it was the raw energy that made those 91 performances. It isn't fair to expect them to conjure that now, it is fair to expect a good functional show. Money disputes can get solved, there has to be a reason beyond that they didn't link up. I don't know if I would bend over backwards to invest in a guy who has been happy as a nomad for the better part of the past 25 years to commit to a 1-2 year long tour, even if that guy was special 25 years ago.

4 minutes ago, TeeJay410 said:

If we're talking purely musically, GNR 2016 is a much better sounding band than GNR 1991. 

I hope you know that music in 1991 and before was composed by Izzy. 

I don't like to compare a genius like Izzy with Fortus, but sadly thats what it comes to when people say how it sounds good now, no doubt it sounds good, well apart from the drums, but those 25 year old or 30 year old songs were composed by someone else. 

There are so many covers of GNR songs on youtube, thats what Fortus and Frank doing.

5 hours ago, SteveAJones said:

Fortus and Ferrer have everything to do with making GNR great NOW. 

Well, live you couldn't hear a huge difference between Izzy/Steven and Gilby/Matt. But you can hear a huge difference between them and Fortus/Frank. And that's not a good direction...the only guys who can top the old guys are the old guys...

Gilby/Matt were the perfect match for Axl, Duff and Slash. 

• Like 2

Just now, maxpax said:

Gilby/Matt were the perfect match for Axl, Duff and Slash. 

Gilby and Matt are great, but Steven and Izzy were the perfect match.

Matt could not bring the sound which Steven did.

Right now the perfect thing would be Steven on AFD songs with Matt on the rest. Gilby can do some guest appearances on KOHD, Dead Flowers, The Seeker and Paradise City. 

13 hours ago, BOSSY78 said:

Also noticed it breaks down recording and performing and how proceeds would or wouldn't be split. For example solo performances and recordings aren't. Two of the partners would have to say record together.

I'm reading more on that part but interesting stuff. Nice refresher. 

I'm curious about this part. Did this somehow give Axl a cut of VR stuff or Slash a part of the shows Duff played with Axl in 2014?

2 hours ago, Slash787 said:

Izzy and Steven will always get love from me. Yeah I would cry if Duff and Slash were not there cause all 5 of them are equally important in my eyes.

All of them are important, true! but they don't need all of them to tour successfully. Look, in my opinion a guest appearance doesn't deserve any more than a 5 figure pay off! in fact that's already a ridiculous amount of money for 2 or 3 songs! he might be getting paid more than Richard, Dizzy, Frank, and Melissa and they are playing the entire show. Sounds greedy to me. You're talking about a fully fledged reunion, what we have is a semi reunion... I don't think you're ever going to et past that, but it is what it is!

I don't know the full story but if the 5 figure offer is real, IMO it's pure greed that Izzy didn't sign on (Steven probably signed on for less than what Izzy was offered). NOW if he was sining on to play full shows and his cut wa significantly less than the other three? he would be perfectly right to sit it out!  

• Like 2

2 hours ago, RussTCB said:

This.

Soooooooooooo much this.

Some people just love to see themselves discuss shit.

izzy is this, izzy was that, without izzy gnr would be this and matt and steven are this.

we fucking know it already..Jesus

Edited by xBrownstonex
  • Like 4

9 minutes ago, xBrownstonex said:

izzy is this, izzy was that, without izzy gnr would be this and matt and steven are this.

ok, no more discussions. there is no reason for the forum anymore.. Shut it down.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Tom2112 said:

I so agree with this! Can't win for losing...

Answer me this: even if Izzy & Steven were ready and willing to commit to the entire tour from the beginning, what should have happened? Should Axl have just said "sorry Frank, sorry Richard, but you two are gonna have to step aside so these guys (who haven't had shit to do with the band in 25 years) can step back in?" ...

I suppose it could've gone down that way but idk how it would've worked. The way Steven's health is, it worked out that there was a drummer in place so he could come out for a few shows and play a couple songs. That's probably all he could do, and while Izzy was probably more than able to do the whole tour, I assume by all the latest comments he wasn't willing to just be a "guest" player. Oh well, his prerogative....

Edited by Kara

9 minutes ago, xBrownstonex said:

What do you suggest people talk about instead?  Because I've got news for you. Nothing ever discussed here is important. None of it.

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, Kara said:

Answer me this: even if Izzy & Steven were ready and willing to commit to the entire tour from the beginning, what should have happened? Should Axl have just said "sorry Frank, sorry Richard, but you two are gonna have to step aside so these guys (who haven't had shit to do with the band in 25 years) can step back in?" ...

I suppose it could've gone down that way but idk how it would've worked.

KISS did it.
It was a massive success for quite some time.

• Like 3