Axl Securing His Status With AC/DC?

Tiffani

The recent interview with Axl and Duff as well as comments in the latest Izzy Twitter thread has made me wonder if Axl is trying to secure his status with AC/DC. 

By this I mean, it was noticed how much more passion he displayed during the interview when he was talking about his role with AC, compared to how he spoke about the GN'R reunion. 

Then I think about comments some here have made in the Izzy thread, particularly how at this point, there is no way that Axl will go back to fronting his nu Guns band after reuniting with Slash and Duff. 

I know that Axl said when he heard about Brian Johnson he put in a call to see if there was something he could do to help the band out and that he wasn't necessarily trying to step in but I have to wonder if that was a shrewd business move on his part to make sure that Axl will remain to be relevant in case the bottom fall's put of the GN'R reunion. Axl is a very smart guy and I can see him thinking in these terms. 

Of course I hope the originals are around for years to come with Steven taking on more of a permanent role as he recovers. And Izzy? Who knows???

• Like 1

ACDC would never announce a "retirement" they would just finish and never come back. They would never 'close the door'. Lots of people saying they've spoke to people who says this isn't the last tour. Chris and more recently sources related with the band. Another thing why would Cliff announce his retirement if they were all going out anyways. Axl has had a great effect on Angus....then again nothing is certain who knows 

Edited by Mark1989
  • Like 3

It certainly does give him even more leverage than he already had, let's face it without him Slash and Duff don't even have the right to use the GN'R name so if they pissed Axl enough so that he decides not to tour then that's it for the biggest payday of their lives. Plus now he has multiple options, like restarting GN'R with a new lineup (which would be next to impossible but doesn't mean he won't try to do it anyway) or playing with AC/DC and putting Guns down for good effectively ending the paychecks for his bandmates while keeping a big enough one coming from his new band. He could even keep a reformed GN'R as a side project while obtaining most of his income from AC/DC.

It must be a pretty great position to be in right now.

• Like 1

Axl said he felt he had a good chemistry with Angus.

He also said that he and Angus had thrown new song ideas at each other and he will record with AC/DC if they want.

Maybe Axl can give Angus an inspiration that Brian was unable to offer.

Angus also need help with the lyrics because some of their last albums had poor lyrics.

But Guns has to finish this tour first and I think it will last until next summer at least.

• Like 1

On 8/9/2016 at 2:59 PM, Tiffani said:

The recent interview with Axl and Duff as well as comments in the latest Izzy Twitter thread has made me wonder if Axl is trying to secure his status with AC/DC. 

By this I mean, it was noticed how much more passion he displayed during the interview when he was talking about his role with AC, compared to how he spoke about the GN'R reunion. 

Then I think about comments some here have made in the Izzy thread, particularly how at this point, there is no way that Axl will go back to fronting his nu Guns band after reuniting with Slash and Duff. 

I know that Axl said when he heard about Brian Johnson he put in a call to see if there was something he could do to help the band out and that he wasn't necessarily trying to step in but I have to wonder if that was a shrewd business move on his part to make sure that Axl will remain to be relevant in case the bottom fall's put of the GN'R reunion. Axl is a very smart guy and I can see him thinking in these terms. 

Of course I hope the originals are around for years to come with Steven taking on more of a permanent role as he recovers. And Izzy? Who knows???

Yes to all of it.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Silent Jay said:

I still can see Dave Grohl on drums and Stinson on bass, would be rad.

I could see Larry Van Kriedt, Tommy Stinson or Paul Greg on bass and Collin Burgess or Simon Wright on drums (when Chris leaves the band someday).

Edited by Sosso

I think he's fangirling out with AC/DC and that's pretty sweet! I feel like he genuinely wanted to help out and lucked out in the process that he's been welcomed with open arms (seemingly) by the band. As much as it gets his focus off GNR I think it's invigorating to him which (I hope) can only be a good thing for the future success of GNR or Axl in some other capacity. I for one am happy to see him out doing things rather than holed up in Malibu wondering if we'll ever see the guy again.

I also just noticed on my FB this afternoon that GNR are trending as "The 12th largest economy in the world"...so I think on the shrewd business move I think it's in the realm of GNR.

• Like 1

On 9/9/2016 at 0:35 AM, AlterL said:

It certainly does give him even more leverage than he already had, let's face it without him Slash and Duff don't even have the right to use the GN'R name so if they pissed Axl enough so that he decides not to tour then that's it for the biggest payday of their lives. Plus now he has multiple options, like restarting GN'R with a new lineup (which would be next to impossible but doesn't mean he won't try to do it anyway) or playing with AC/DC and putting Guns down for good effectively ending the paychecks for his bandmates while keeping a big enough one coming from his new band. He could even keep a reformed GN'R as a side project while obtaining most of his income from AC/DC.

I wonder if any in GN'R feel secretly threatened, (for lack of better words), considering the added leverage Axl has now that he is also with AC/DC. I guess that would also depend on the future of GN'R. I wonder if the band even has a gameplan for the next few years or if they're just winging it. Slash and Duff can always do their own thing successfully. For the rest, GN'R may be the biggest thing they will ever be involved in musically so I can see them in particular wanting to make sure Axl stays close to home. 

1 hour ago, annablue said:

I think he's fangirling out with AC/DC and that's pretty sweet! I feel like he genuinely wanted to help out and lucked out in the process that he's been welcomed with open arms (seemingly) by the band. As much as it gets his focus off GNR I think it's invigorating to him which (I hope) can only be a good thing for the future success of GNR or Axl in some other capacity. I for one am happy to see him out doing things rather than holed up in Malibu wondering if we'll ever see the guy again.

I also just noticed on my FB this afternoon that GNR are trending as "The 12th largest economy in the world"...so I think on the shrewd business move I think it's in the realm of GNR.

Well said! And I'll have to check out that FB trending story. I'm very happy for them. :headbang:

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Tiffani said:

I wonder if any in GN'R feel secretly threatened, (for lack of better words), considering the added leverage Axl has now that he is also with AC/DC. I guess that would also d,epend on the future of GN'R. I wonder if the band even has a gameplan for the next few years or if they're just winging it. Slash and Duff can always do their own thing successfully. For the rest, GN'R may be the biggest thing they will ever be involved in musically so I can see them in particular wanting to make sure Axl stays close to home. 

I would argue that this is the biggest thing Slash and Duff could ever be involved in, I mean no offense but all three of them were making way less money before this shows. But I think we're assuming to much, for once I doubt that even the old partnership is in place, I mean 36% AskEd by Axl 33% Slash and 30% Duff just doesn't seem right now. Even if it is I think is clear that Axl Is atthe helm of the boat, 3 to 4 CD songs a night, Frank, Richard and Mellisa being still involved even after the "Regrouping" and the fact that the first major interview didn't include them all but rather Axl and Duff, with Duff taking a back seat for most of it. it makes possible that the reason they are not more worried is that even now they aren't at the top of the mountain in relationship to GN'R, if they aren't the top dogs or equals they made so many believe, then there's no reason to worry, they're still making more money that they would be if this wasn't happening but if Axl is still the boss and the one taking the shots then there's less possibilities of them doing anything that pisses him of therefore giving no reason to Axl to want to leave what's pretty much still his band. Sort of like what happened with that one Pink Floyd member, during the wall world tour, they made him an employee but when the tour didn't profit them as much as they thought it would (they actually lost money) he still came out on top because he didn't have to pay for anything just go out, play and get paid.

As far as I heard, Axl is leaving it up to Angus where and how far he goes with AC/DC. He said he'd keep doing it as long as Angus wanted to keep going and as scheduling allowed. Meaning as long as AC/DC could be worked around GnR. So, I  also don't think Axl would ever walk away from Guns, especially not after he fought so hard to keep it going in some form or another. However, with AC/DC being in the state it's currently in, I think we have to be prepared for the worst. I could be wrong, but I'm assuming they won't go any further than the end of this tour. Here's hoping I am...

• Like 1

On 9/9/2016 at 1:35 AM, AlterL said:

Leverage?  Axl is currently a temp employee of ACDC as evidenced by his public interview statements.  Axl, meanwhile, has been named as defendant in a pleading filed this week based on the claim that he, in an individual capacity, issued a promissory note on which he failed to satisfy payment.  An individual does not issue a promissory note to an employee from a position of strength but rather from financial inability to pay until a future date.  Fortunately for Axl, Slash and Duff have agreed to the "reunion" (Axl and Duff have both publicly acknowledged that it is a reunion).  By doing that which he said he'd never do (not in this lifetime, anyhow), Axl is sharing in the profit of 117+ million dollars.  Without Slash and Duff, Axl will return to playing backyard weddings.  He would, though, be able to sell tickets to bowling alleys under the Gn'R brand because he owns the name.  At least we think that he retains ownership of the name--that may very well no longer be true as a result of the legal negotiation that precipitated the NITL tour.  Ownership of the brand may now very well be joint.  Regardless, Axl will have the same leverage he had with the brand name from '96-'15 without Slash and Duff--Vegas residencies and backyard barbecues.

The remainder of your post is devoid of (2016) factual support and contradicts all publicly-known facts relevant in 2016 regarding S/D/A decision-making authority.

4 hours ago, JustanUrchin said:

Leverage?  Axl is currently a temp employee of ACDC as evidenced by his public interview statements.  Axl, meanwhile, has been named as defendant in a pleading filed this week based on the claim that he, in an individual capacity, issued a promissory note on which he failed to satisfy payment.  An individual does not issue a promissory note to an employee from a position of strength but rather from financial inability to pay until a future date.  Fortunately for Axl, Slash and Duff have agreed to the "reunion" (Axl and Duff have both publicly acknowledged that it is a reunion).  By doing that which he said he'd never do (not in this lifetime, anyhow), Axl is sharing in the profit of 117+ million dollars.  Without Slash and Duff, Axl will return to playing backyard weddings.  He would, though, be able to sell tickets to bowling alleys under the Gn'R brand because he owns the name.  At least we think that he retains ownership of the name--that may very well no longer be true as a result of the legal negotiation that precipitated the NITL tour.  Ownership of the brand may now very well be joint.  Regardless, Axl will have the same leverage he had with the brand name from '96-'15 without Slash and Duff--Vegas residencies and backyard barbecues.

The remainder of your post is devoid of (2016) factual support and contradicts all publicly-known facts relevant in 2016 regarding S/D/A decision-making authority.

Axl was playing bigger places than Slash or Duff, just because he didn't pay Pitman (as he should have) doesn't mean he was broke, also do you really think Pitman wasn't paid for any of his work since 2011? He would have sued years ago if that was the case he obviously waited because they were still paying him for all and any of his other services, if that wasn't the case why on earth would he remain in the band for so many years afterwards.

Slash lost half of his money when he divorced Perla probably more , the AC\DC deal was and is still up in the air as we don't even know if the band will carry on after this tour, but if they do there's no reason not to call Axl again and he himself seems very interested in carrying on ig Angus wants him to.

BTW you think Axl couldn't have survived without Slash/Duff he did it for more than 15 years boy, plus without Axl they aren't playing stadiums or in Duff case even theathers. BTW that's the same leverage that had Duff and Slash waiting for Axl calls for many years, the same leverage that had Slash coming drunk to Axl's house trying to get back in a band he had left 10 years ago.