[Poll] What's you personal favorite solo record by one of the AFD members?

[Poll] What's you personal favorite solo record by one of the AFD members?  

343 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Slash's albums have some excellent guitar work and music, I don't like all the songs, but the riffs, the solos, they are just amazing.

The 2 albums which I like the majority of the songs are his first solo album and WOF. 

Anastasia and You're A Lie from Apocalyptic Love.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, StrangerInThisTown said:

The most obvious point for me is WOF has a ton of variety. From the My Michelle style intro on Shadow Life, psychedelic (Stone Blind), dark, atmospheric songs (The Unholy), a badass instrumental (Safari Inn), multiple epics with long, extended solos (again The Unholy, Battleground, Beneath The Savage Sun, Wicked Stone) and personally for me, his best riff ever (but sadly didnt make that great a song out of it, Dirty Girl). He finally used his slide guitar again on this album on a track too.

To add to that, I just like his solos better, it seems he worked them out more, maybe because it wasnt recorded live like AL. Shadow Life and Stone Blind have the best solos on the album IMHO, Avalon even has a country style solo. I find myself only going back to a couple of tracks on AL, that being Anastasia, Standing in the sun, Crazy Life and especially the title track. I am very fond of each and every track on WOF. The uplifting lyrics in Iris of the Storm are very special to me. No song on AL did that for me for that matter.

Nice little summary, dude. You've convinced me to revisit it. On my first few listens I felt it didn't have the songs AL did, nor that warm spontaneity due to the live feeling of that first record. I'm giving it another shot. 

Edited by Crash Dieter
  • Like 2

25 minutes ago, Crash Dieter said:

Nice little summary, dude. You've convinced me to revisit it. On my first few listens I felt it didn't have the songs AL did, nor that warm spontaneity due to the live feeling of that first record. I'm giving it another shot. 

It took me some time to warm up to a couple of songs like Too Far Gone, The Dissident or Avalon, but now I enjoy them all. Avalon was basically the soundtrack to my summer this year, 3 minutes of rock n roll bliss with a good times vibe. When you keep listening to the same tracks from the album you eventually crave more and check out the others again and go hey this is not bad after all. Then the songs grow on you. Now I like the whole album front to back.

• Like 2

Slash- Love the first  Snakepit and his first solo album, the multi  singer  one. The rest sounds like warmed-over Whitesnake.

Izzy- First five or six are  great, but then they started  to get redundant.

Duff- I actually  really  liked Believe  In Me, despite  Duff  being a drunken  mess. Also really  liked Beautiful  Disease. Loaded, eh.

Adler- Back from the Dead- A surprisingly good album. Good mix of modern and sleaze  rock.

On 12/09/2016 at 1:12 AM, Crash Dieter said:

In addition to @StrangerInThisTown's comments. Myles's voice is stronger on WOF compared to AL. There are moments when he's reminiscent of Jeff Buckley, which is a big plus for me. I think he and Slash work well together, especially on the ballads.

On 11/9/2016 at 6:22 PM, StrangerInThisTown said:

The most obvious point for me is WOF has a ton of variety. From the My Michelle style intro on Shadow Life, psychedelic (Stone Blind), dark, atmospheric songs (The Unholy), a badass instrumental (Safari Inn), multiple epics with long, extended solos (again The Unholy, Battleground, Beneath The Savage Sun, Wicked Stone) and personally for me, his best riff ever (but sadly didnt make that great a song out of it, Dirty Girl). He finally used his slide guitar again on this album on a track too.

To add to that, I just like his solos better, it seems he worked them out more, maybe because it wasnt recorded live like AL. Shadow Life and Stone Blind have the best solos on the album IMHO, Avalon even has a country style solo. I find myself only going back to a couple of tracks on AL, that being Anastasia, Standing in the sun, Crazy Life and especially the title track. I am very fond of each and every track on WOF. The uplifting lyrics in Iris of the Storm are very special to me. No song on AL did that for me for that matter.

Great post!

I agree about WoF being better, although there are some other songs from AL that I think are killer. I love Halo, the riff is really cool and it works great in live shows. Also dig Far And Away, Carolina (love it when Slash uses the talk box) and We Will Roam (probably my favorite off the album, some of my favorite solos by Slash in the last decade).

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

Just heard Sahara with Koshi Inaba again after years and I have to repeat my self by saying what an incredibly good song tjis could be with another singer and proper vocal melodies. 

I was surprised at how great the instrumental actually is.

Pretty disappointed that Axl will never rework vocal parts for that song

Apocalyptic Love for me. Flow of the entire album sounds great with rawness of great grooves and melodies. You're A Lie is an instant classic, but most songs works well together as an album, but not so great individually.

Never thought WOF is better. Have some great songs but also a fair bit which seem really out of place as vocal and guitar doesn't really fit well (Unholy, Savage Sun, Iris, Dissident). Too Far Gone, Battleground, Safari Inn and Born To Fly are defiantly some of my favourite tracks on the album.

I picked Slash's self titled album. Theres just something about that album that keeps me revisiting the songs. It may be the variety thanks to the many different musicians who were apart of it, but for me at least, it was the biggest thing someone associated with GNR was doing post-Velvet Revolver and this was around the time i got into GNR in the first place. 

I remember buying the Slash album and playing the shit out of it. My go-to songs were always By The Sword and Nothing To Say. But holy crap, i think people tend to overlook songs like Gotten and Promise. Even I Hold On with the laughable Kid Rock is a good tune just because of Slash's guitar tone and the music to it. There was just something about that album that i never got out of SMKCs stuff. I remember listening to AL all the time, but it just never caught me and had me absorbed like the self titled record. 

Can we also talk about the lyrics to We're All Gunna Die? :lol: Somehow it all fucking works though. Iggy is a god, and Slashs guitar tone is his son sent from heaven 

• Like 2

On 05/02/2017 at 4:41 PM, Free Bird said:

Just heard Sahara with Koshi Inaba again after years and I have to repeat my self by saying what an incredibly good song tjis could be with another singer and proper vocal melodies. 

I was surprised at how great the instrumental actually is.

Pretty disappointed that Axl will never rework vocal parts for that song

I like his performance on the original version. The Enhlish sung one sucks, though.

Overall I agree. Great song that could have been fantastic.

"Believe in me" is an outstanding piece of art. You really still can feel the atmosphere of lonely studio-time somewhere on the road during the UYI-Tour at 3 o´clock in the morning.

And even though Duff was absolutely at his drinking high, he still rocked this thing and played most of the instrument parts + the singing.

I really love this album and if I had to choose 10 albums to take with me on e lonely island, this would definitely be one of them.

Besides that, in terms of GnR side-project-records I would choose "It´s five o´clock somewhere" at number 2 and "JuJu-Hounds" on 3.

• Like 3

World On Fire gets my vote. After being extremely let down by Apocalyptic Love it was nice to see Slash get a true return to form. Lots of great riffing and plenty of great solos. It suffers from being a bit too long with the back half not being as memorable as the front half, but overall, I absolutely love it and still put it on all the time.

Honorable mentions to the first Ju Ju Hounds effort and Gilby's Pawnshop Guitars (not an AFD member, I know, but it's a great album).

• Like 2