2006 Axl was better then 90's Axl (2006 Appreciation Thread)

After listening to a lot of 2006, i can't help but feel 2006 Axl was a treat to hear and dare i say better then himself in the 90s. In the 90s, I feel he added way too much rasp to every song, while some songs sounded sick with the extra rasp some didn't make sense (sweet child). I've been listening to so much 2006 Axl that i don't even remember him being this good. The power and cleanness in his voice in the KOHD clip is actually amazing. I love 90s Axl but 2006 is above the 90s. Its a shame his voice sounds like a mix of madonna and an average british grandma nowadays.

Axl Ranking:

1) 80s
2) 2006
3)90s/2010

bonus points for anyone who can tell me where to get that jacket from in KOHD rock am ring

Edited by marunic
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, marunic said:

After listening to a lot of 2006, i can't help but feel 2006 Axl was a treat to hear and dare i say better then himself in the 90s. In the 90s, I feel he added way too much rasp to every song, while some songs sounded sick with the extra rasp some didn't make sense (sweet child). I've been listening to so much 2006 Axl that i don't even remember him being this good. The power and cleanness in his voice in the KOHD clip is actually amazing. I love 90s Axl but 2006 is above the 90s. Its a shame his voice sounds like a mix of madonna and an average british grandma nowadays.

Axl Ranking:

1) 80s
2) 2006
3)90s/2010

bonus points for anyone who can tell me where to get that jacket from in KOHD rock am ring

I really love his voice in 2006, although it did sound forced and painful at times. Also, to the bolded :lol:

Just now, GNR 1991 said:

Kinda weird to just lump 90, 91, 92, 93, and 94 (Sympathy, RRHOF) into "the 90s" right? His voice sounded different basically every one of those years.

i was more so applying later 90s, early 90s is still 80s tier for me slightly

2 minutes ago, GNR 1991 said:

Kinda weird to just lump 90, 91, 92, 93, and 94 (Sympathy, RRHOF) into "the 90s" right? His voice sounded different basically every one of those years.

I would take any one of those years over 2006. I would also say that he had nights In 2010 where his voice was every bit as good as the 80's and 90's. Some nights maybe even better.

Axl's had performances from all eras where he's been really hot and others where he's been really off...on the Illusions tour there were some really brilliant moments.

Having said that I think it's a shame things couldn't have kept going in 2006-07 because the dude was so completely on top of it. Focused, on fire, in great voice.

9 minutes ago, marunic said:

Thing that makes me sad is how bad axl is nowadays, if he could pull off 06 again, this reunion would of been top notch

I wouldnt say hes bad. Hes just bad on a certain few songs like YCBM for example. Still kills most of the setlist. Especially if you compare it to what we got the years before this

I dont actually like his 2006 look. I think he looks way better in 2016. Just a bit longer hair and you could say thats 90s Axl

Cr9JxxNXgAAD-aC.jpg

Edited by StrangerInThisTown

That version of Heaven's door really doesn't feel like 8 and a half minutes! the last couple of years versions, including the current feel much, much longer. Turned into a real snoozer, while this version is absolutely killer. Axl sounds probably better than ever and the band are so fucking good here.

Also, Axl isn't 2006 good.... but! he is singing his ass off! he is WAY more consistent these days than he was from 2009-2014 (less off nights, better breathing, Stronger mid range, raspier). I can't remember any period since 2006 that Axl was more consistent. 

Edited by Tom2112
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Evil Doer said:

2006 worcester ma was the worst guns show i've ever been to.  not necessarily axl's fault, but major sound problems from start to finish.  i've seen him in 93, 02, 06, 11, 12, and 16 and 06 was by far the worst show.

Dublin 2006 was by far the best Guns show, at least from a vocal point of view. Only seen them 3 three times but 2006 was the best vocally, even better than 2010 where he sat on his arse for the majority of the show... and sang pretty damn well

31 minutes ago, StrangerInThisTown said:

I wouldnt say hes bad. Hes just bad on a certain few songs like YCBM for example. Still kills most of the setlist. Especially if you compare it to what we got the years before this

I dont actually like his 2006 look. I think he looks way better in 2016. Just a bit longer hair and you could say thats 90s Axl

Cr9JxxNXgAAD-aC.jpg

talking voice wise but he has cleaned up the look but the 06 look was bad ass, that photo also has amazing lighting

10 minutes ago, moreblack said:

Not remotely. :lol::lol:

90s was WAAAY too much rasp, was unneeded, some nights sounded like he just came out of an op the night prior (not hating 90s, i love axl)

Hard call. 06 is when I started getting into Guns really heavy so that'd what I had. I thought he sounded great and looked badass. I feel he sounded much better in 2010 but hated the hats and silver jackets. 06 also had some sort of mystique to it. With CD coming out or not coming out but they were actually touring. I enjoyed that time period. 

• Like 1