2006 Axl was better then 90's Axl (2006 Appreciation Thread)

2006 Axl was amazing! Vocals, looks, the hype build-up, it was easily his best year with NuGuns in my opinion. Don't know if better than the 90's but the closest we got to 90's Axl for sure. Plus, it was really the last year Axl Rose looked like Axl Rose in my opinion.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, IncitingChaos said:

he was flawless in Los Angeles in 06...YCBM, SCOM, November Rain were all perfect, his voice was studio good

I absolutely love Richard´s movments at 44.25 -44.39 :D:D:rofl-lol:

2006 was a great year, Axl was healthy and with great energy. I find it relly amusing to re-watch this vidsrock3

7 hours ago, Evil Doer said:

2006 worcester ma was the worst guns show i've ever been to.  not necessarily axl's fault, but major sound problems from start to finish.  i've seen him in 93, 02, 06, 11, 12, and 16 and 06 was by far the worst show.

See. I was also at this show at the DCU center front row. your right, he was having major issues with his in ear monitors if I remember correctly, but I thought that vocally he still sounded pretty damn good. 

Edited by Mooch14

8 minutes ago, maxpax said:

Lets say: 2006 was the last chance for a great reunion...Axl looked great...they should have get back together in 2004, writing new stuff and then go on tour with it in 2006 with Slash, Duff, Gilby and Matt.

Tour with Axl, Slash, Duff, Izzy and Steven is a better idea.

• Like 1

I wouldn't say axl's 2006 and 2010's raspy voice is better than his 90's voice overall but it was definitely better than his 1991 voice where he overused rasp. His 2006's and 2010's voice was closer to the studio version of the songs, with the right amount of rasp. IMO the raspy performances of Rocket Queen of 2010 were better than the performances of the song in the 90's. 

The difference is that in the 90's his voice was very consistent while 2006 and 2010 had some Mickey nights. 

6 hours ago, The Real McCoy said:

Wut?

Axl sounds amazing. Get your hearing checked.

no he doesnt lol, id ask you to get yours checked, his 2016 singing is so overrated around here, its better then the last 2 years but mehhhh, extremely inconsistent 

Edited by marunic

4 hours ago, JimmyPage said:

Meh. 80s/90s Axl actually wrote good music.

Your underrating Chinese Democracy, lyrically the album is pretty damn good, and "Better" is probably one of Guns N Roses best songs, had that song been released with the old band it would of been a mega hit. just hate how slash changed the intro tho.

but yes 80/90s axl did write better music. 

Edited by marunic
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, marunic said:

Your underrating Chinese Democracy, lyrically the album is pretty damn good, and "Better" is probably one of Guns N Roses best songs, had that song been released with the old band it would of been a mega hit. just hate how slash changed the intro tho.

but yes 80/90s axl did write better music. 

Slash din't change the intro, its taken from the bridge of the song, the intro is pretty cool.

But that noodling solo by Slash is pretty weird, he should have worked his signature melodic style on it. 

I wouldn't say better, but he sounded pretty great.

I have a hard time listening to certain song from the Use Your Illusion tour, particularly 92 and 93. His voice on songs like November Rain and Sweet Child O' Mine sound much better without the over the top rasp and in 2006 those songs were fucking great!

Edited by F*ck Fear

1 hour ago, IncitingChaos said:

Axl's vocals on NR are perfect here. If we could have had that plus slash and duff it would have been incredible...the song sounds a thousand times better 

This show is one of the best Guns N' Roses shows ever. Better, IRS, November Rain and Sweet Child are all highlights for me.

• Like 2

On 11/09/2016 at 3:31 PM, The Real McCoy said:

Wut?

Axl sounds amazing. Get your hearing checked.

Couldn't agree more! He's controlling his vocals now.. i saw them three times during illusion and vocals were pretty hit and miss..

He definitely seems to be hitting it more consistently now.. 

25 minutes ago, Glidn said:

Couldn't agree more! He's controlling his vocals now.. i saw them three times during illusion and vocals were pretty hit and miss..

He definitely seems to be hitting it more consistently now.. 

I think the argument is 06 is more controlled, and sounds closer to a studio Axl than any other year except 88. It seemed he was doing it with ease at times but there was a lot of technique going on with his voice to get it that way and being in shape helped too. If there was any knock it was he was a bit too Nasally at times but Axl's always been. 

2010 to me was just an explosion of force, not as much technique just letting it go. 

2016 seems to be a mix of that explosion with some solid technique. If he wanted to sound more like 06 he'd have to get more in shape and use more of his nasally vocals to find that mid voice.  

1 minute ago, SWINGTRADER said:

Oh please. The Axl of today or anytime during the fakeGnR era was not better than the 90's Axl. Not vocally and not on stage presence.  

The current Axl is the closest he has gotten to going back to what he once was, but it is not the same. 

2006 Axl?  Nope.

2016 axl is overrated to hell, he cant hit mid range songs at all, go listen to sweet child, paradise city or better from NITL.

i love axl but let it go 2006 axl is the best post 2000 axl youll get

20 minutes ago, SWINGTRADER said:

Oh please. The Axl of today or anytime during the fakeGnR era was not better than the 90's Axl. Not vocally and not on stage presence.  

The current Axl is the closest he has gotten to going back to what he once was, but it is not the same. 

2006 Axl?  Nope.

No, man. 2006 was as close as it gets, unless Axl surprise us, of course. As of now, I would say he's better than 2014 and close to 2010, which was also a good year.