Chesney/Atkins (Definitely NOT Guns N' Roses) - Full Tune

1418Music

1 hour ago, maxpax said:

The instagram clip sounds more powerful. 

0:14-0:42 sounds good, then the 'if you can see me' part should set in as chorus. its the best part of the song. the lead guitarist sounds great, too. 

Good call. Because it was an experiment (these songs) that arrangement pretty much stuck because the song itself is based off an instrumental that I wrote for Guitar World magazine that was to advertise the Slash Pickups that Seymour Duncan had bought out. Which if you listen to the arrangement of the instrumental on the video you'll hear most of Vehicular Blues at some point or another, hence for this i didn't move much around :)

Hi all :)

Well damn. While i'm sure i'm going to run in to negative opinions of the song etc I gotta say i'm pleased its got a good response :)  Sorry if my reply is long, just trying to make sense of the stuff and thank everyone!

Firstly I gotta respond to @Fitha_whiskey he knows why he has to be first haha. Does this mean we "stepped up to the plate with our version of The General"? ;) - seriously though, thanks man. I'm REALLY glad you like it as you sir were a tough crowd yesterday lol, the fact that you said you liked it as much as you did really is fucking cool, actually the fact that you actually gave it a listen is really fucking cool too, thank you.

@ludurigan - Thanks for giving it a listen! - I wish it wasn't a case of where people had heard anything and had chance to feel 'fooled' by this stuff but now that people have heard it and think it sounds a bit like them, i suppose we accomplished what we were trying to do, I just didn't expect to find that out on the back of having all the fuss the clips caused, but thank you! @Millions I have a record i'm working on right now that is probably the biggest thing thats happened to me as a musician in my career, I'm excited as hell but unfortunately i'm (legitimately) not allowed to talk about it at all right now other than to acknowledge that i'm doing "something" lol. Thats not trying to sound self important or anything, i'm really NOT allowed to give any details :( Aside from that I have an EP on iTunes with guys from Slash's live band, Ray Charles band, members of Foreigner, Ace Frehleys band, Trace Adkins band etc - you should be able to find it if you search for Stephen Chesney. To be honest i'm not sure what Chad has put out, I'll have a word with him and get some links to whatever he has out there. Away from that there's a couple of cool videos on my YouTube playing with Ray Luzier from KoRn, Billy Sheehan (....God) Michael Starr from Steel Panther etc...those are cover versions though.

Regarding the record deal thing, do you mean for these songs/this experiment thing? Writing and completing these songs was just two people so I don't know if anyone would sign a band of two people that sound like another band lol, plus Chad handled all the vocals and lyrics and I was the entire band/all instruments and had to figure how to vaguely mix it decently too, I know i've said it before already but we really didn't write and record this stuff thinking anyone but us and our friends would ever hear it, so, what comes of it next I have no idea.

Anyway, Thats my caffeine fueled first post of the day. Apologies for typing way, way too many words! - Thanks to everyone for the positive feedback and ideas. Not trying to be a shill here, but feel free to repost it and spread it around (now that its listed correctly as who is actually performing it and people know who its not!) - If it continues to get good feedback, and if you guys like it enough, i'll see if I can finish some of the others. I'm going to post it on Facebook too so that its easier to spread around (so add me and Chad Atkins on FB too if you have fb :)) We have some others that sound even more like GN'R than this one...and a couple that are probably a little less. Anyway, Shutting up for now, THANK YOU guys. 

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, Crash Dieter said:

Telling you right now - this is a bloody good tune. As an exercise for nailing that  sound; you've fucking nailed it.

(and @Fitha_whiskey) thanks guys! Seeing as this has been rather encouraging i'm sat here actually slowly working my way through another one right now, God knows when it'll be ready, but its a start.

If you ever get bored (if you didnt already see it) I did a video for Guitar World where the whole instrumental is JUST me playing doing the Slash thing (tone wise) i was always pretty pleased with how close it got to the Illusions tone.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, 1418Music said:

(and @Fitha_whiskey) thanks guys! Seeing as this has been rather encouraging i'm sat here actually slowly working my way through another one right now, God knows when it'll be ready, but its a start.

If you ever get bored (if you didnt already see it) I did a video for Guitar World where the whole instrumental is JUST me playing doing the Slash thing (tone wise) i was always pretty pleased with how close it got to the Illusions tone.

The UYI tone on one of your clips was one of the reasons why I was convinced those were real GNR tracks. Ive never heard anyone have it that close, I thought Slash went back to it for the new Guns record to have it sound like the classic GNR tone everyone remembers and not for example his WOF tone. Still listening to the 30 sec clip of the song with YCBM lyrics on repeat lol.

Edited by StrangerInThisTown

7 minutes ago, StrangerInThisTown said:

The UYI tone on one of your clips was one of the reasons why I was convinced those were real GNR tracks. Ive never heard anyone have it that close, I thought Slash went back to it for the new Guns record to have it sound like the classic GNR tone everyone remembers and not for example his WOF tone. Still listening to the 30 sec clip of the song with YCBM lyrics on repeat lol.

Ha, thank you dude. As a guitarist first and foremost (and given that I grew up watching the Tokyo VHS/DVDs RELIGIOUSLY from the age of about 6 lol) it means a lot that the guitar was also one of the things that made it sound GNR. Chad is SO "Axl" that the tracks wouldn't have that sound without him...but I try to hold my own in the Slash category lol.

That said, all an illusion. Just this guy :)

(as a side note; Vehicular Blues was born from the instrumental in that video :) )

Edited by 1418Music
  • Like 4

7 minutes ago, 1418Music said:

Ha, thank you dude. As a guitarist first and foremost (and given that I grew up watching the Tokyo VHS/DVDs RELIGIOUSLY from the age of about 6 lol) it means a lot that the guitar was also one of the things that made it sound GNR. Chad is SO "Axl" that the tracks wouldn't have that sound without him...but I try to hold my own in the Slash category lol.

That said, all an illusion. Just this guy :)

(as a side note; Vehicular Blues was born from the instrumental in that video :) )

Cool as hell man. The way you shred the fast pentatonic runs kinda reminds me of the way Satchel from Steel Panther plays instead of Slash lol, but it sounds like Slash!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, StrangerInThisTown said:

Cool as hell man. The way you shred the fast pentatonic runs kinda reminds me of the way Satchel from Steel Panther plays instead of Slash lol, but it sounds like Slash!

Ha, thanks dude. Speaking of Panther, I do a lot of work with Ralph (er...Michael Starr) from that band. Love him to death, fucking amazing singer.

29 minutes ago, 1418Music said:

Ha, thanks dude. Speaking of Panther, I do a lot of work with Ralph (er...Michael Starr) from that band. Love him to death, fucking amazing singer.

Yeah I saw that on your IG! Very cool for me to be talking to a friend of Michael Starr hehe, I love the band and cant wait for their new album this year.

And a question, is this clip from the same song as the one from the clip with the "Cold Heartbreaker fit ta burn.." lyric? I think so right? You guys made a hell of a song with that, it's my favourite I've heard so far (and I kinda hope new GNR music would sound like this!)

Edited by StrangerInThisTown

1 hour ago, StrangerInThisTown said:

Yeah I saw that on your IG! Very cool for me to be talking to a friend of Michael Starr hehe, I love the band and cant wait for their new album this year.

And a question, is this clip from the same song as the one from the clip with the "Cold Heartbreaker fit ta burn.." lyric? I think so right? You guys made a hell of a song with that, it's my favourite I've heard so far (and I kinda hope new GNR music would sound like this!)

Damn dude, good ear.

Yes, thats from the same song :)