The Day Kanye West Killed Gangsta Rap

Dan H.

5 hours ago, Dan H. said:

They're dick heads, but that's part of their appeal to me. Never liked an artist because he/she was polite lol... Tyler is the best fitting of the description of "snot nosed brat" I suppose, but Frank Ocean and Earl Sweatshirt? You don't like them either?

Yes, it was Curtis v The Graduation I think. I guess most of y'all don't care for Kanye, but I happened to thoroughly enjoy both of the albums.

Oh i'm all for abit of arrogance as long as there's some substance to back it up. They had some ok tracks but at the end of the day does anyone give a fuck about Odd Future now, what's their legacy?

9 minutes ago, Silverburst80 said:

Oh i'm all for abit of arrogance as long as there's some substance to back it up. They had some ok tracks but at the end of the day does anyone give a fuck about Odd Future now, what's their legacy?

Frank Ocean?

Tyler the Creator and Earl Sweatshirt also enjoy quite a bit of acclaim as well, although controversy and lack of, as you say, clearer substance keeps them from being 'great'. Those two do usually seem like they're one album away from hitting their stride, but never quite nail a solid 10/10 for me.

But yeah, Frank Ocean certain has given Odd Future it's legacy. He just dropped a massive release a week or two ago, to a lot of fanfare.

Of course, acclaim and sales doesn't mean you have to like it, but it certainly does leave a legacy amongst the millions of people who do, yes?

EDIT: I don't think Frank Oceans new album was under Odd Future, but his other two big ones are. He headlines festies off of those albums.

EDIT 2: I ain't saying you're wrong about how you feel about Odd Future, but that you may be in the minority there

Edited by Dan H.

3 hours ago, PappyTron said:

The thing that I hate about rap in general is that every time you hear a great beat it has invariably been lifted from another song.

When it's done as blatantly as Kanye is known to do ( harder better faster stronger ) or what Puffy used to do it's pathetic. When it's done cleverly and less obvious it's certainly an artform, for example can you pick out the sample used in the Raekwon song Ice Cream from the Earl Klugh song A time for love?.

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, Len Cnut said:

It sort of reintroduces certain music to a generation who dont know shit about it though?  I mean 90% of Doggystyle is nicked off of Curtis Mayfield innit?

That's like when the gypos say that they aren't stealing something, they are simply "recirculating" stuff.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Silverburst80 said:

When it's done as blatantly as Kanye is known to do ( harder better faster stronger ) or what Puffy used to do it's pathetic. When it's done cleverly and less obvious it's certainly an artform, for example can you pick out the sample used in the Raekwon song Ice Cream from the Earl Klugh song A time for love?.

Stronger is a bad example, since Daft Punk helped produce that song and several songs on Yeezus

I believe most samples in hip hop(not just 'Ye's) are credited, so "stealing" is a tough fit for me. Exploiting the medium? Maybe. But that isn't unique to music. The visual arts repurpose others artwork pretty frequently right? Isn't that kinda how Dadaism worked?

Nice examples Silver, good shit

Edited by Dan H.
"
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, Dan H. said:

Frank Ocean?

Tyler the Creator and Earl Sweatshirt also enjoy quite a bit of acclaim as well, although controversy and lack of, as you say, clearer substance keeps them from being 'great'. Those two do usually seem like they're one album away from hitting their stride, but never quite nail a solid 10/10 for me.

But yeah, Frank Ocean certain has given Odd Future it's legacy. He just dropped a massive release a week or two ago, to a lot of fanfare.

Of course, acclaim and sales doesn't mean you have to like it, but it certainly does leave a legacy amongst the millions of people who do, yes?

EDIT: I don't think Frank Oceans new album was under Odd Future, but his other two big ones are. He headlines festies off of those albums.

EDIT 2: I ain't saying you're wrong about how you feel about Odd Future, but that you may be in the minority there

Frank Ocean seems like he'll have the staying power out of that crew, he is interesting, though he was kinda on his own trip before he became affiliated with Odd Future and seems he's gone off on his own again now.  As for the other two meh, i guess in this climate they appear kinda quirky or whatever as you say they aren't great.

What you say about those two not quite hitting their stride applies to 99.9% of rappers these days, i mean Schoolboy Q got me a little bit excited with that Break the bank shit but never went on with it. Back in the day it seemed MC's dropped classic after classic like it was nothing.

Edited by Silverburst80

On 9/11/2016 at 3:34 PM, Len Cnut said:

Whatever else you might say about 50, Fif' is a fuckin' clever guy, when he talks he talks sense, whether it be about business or street shit or whatever, he's a bright spark.  Kanye is a fuckin' bumbling idiot, insults like these are thrown about so much that its almost like today they don't have any meaning but he is the definition of such terms.  Fool.  Moron.  And it just gets worse and worse every time he opens his mouth to the point where myself, at this point, having been a rap fan since before my teens and I'm fuckin' comin' on to mid 30s, I'm almost done with rap, it's gotten than boring and lame and Kanye is symptomatic (though to be fair to be him not the whole problem) of this fuckin' malaise hip hop is in.

50 is a very interesting person and the investments and business decisions he's made are great, but at the end of the day he's a shit artist whose only good output was with Dre at the helm.

Kanye used to put out objectively good music before he became a living meme circa 2012.

6 minutes ago, bacardimayne said:

50 is a very interesting person and the investments and business decisions he's made are great, but at the end of the day he's a shit artist whose only good output was with Dre at the helm.

Kanye used to put out objectively good music before he became a living meme circa 2012.

I disagree, 50 was class from his underground days all the way through to, well, lately.  And hes 40 something now anyway, his peak days are over.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Len Cnut said:

I disagree, 50 was class from his underground days all the way through to, well, lately.  And hes 40 something now anyway, his peak days are over.

Yeah, he was a mixtape star before he got signed. Jay Z even took shots at him before he even had a record deal. "I'm a dollar what the fuck is fifty cents". When you have one of the biggest names in hip hop responding to you, before you even put out an actual album, that says something.

50 could get lazy with his songs from time to time, but there are plenty of examples of him being a straight beast. He might have fell in love with the money and fame, but in the beginning he had plenty of heart. Great flow too.

On 9/13/2016 at 7:42 AM, Len Cnut said:

50 Cent was such a big noise on the underground scene that even i heard of him all the way over in England.  

That's crazy right there. Get Rich or Die Tryin was super hyped. I'm not sure I've seen a rapper with no officially released music have his debut album hyped that much.

12 hours ago, J Dog said:

That's crazy right there. Get Rich or Die Tryin was super hyped. I'm not sure I've seen a rapper with no officially released music have his debut album hyped that much.

We used to get The Source over here and if I'm not mistaken he was on unsigned hype too at one point, which was rare for a man who aint an out and out MC. He was also on that heavy rotation thing they had, How to Rob with The Madd Rapper.

Dre and Em' didnt just work with him for nothing, they saw what this kid was musically and as a person and the potential therein.  They were like the US Mint at that point, they weren't gonna throw their weight behind a maybe.

Edited by Len Cnut

1 hour ago, Len Cnut said:

We used to get The Source over here and if I'm not mistaken he was on unsigned hype too at one point, which was rare for a man who aint an out and out MC. He was also on that heavy rotation thing they had, How to Rob with The Madd Rapper.

Dre and Em' didnt just work with him for nothing, they saw what this kid was musically and as a person and the potential therein.  They were like the US Mint at that point, they weren't gonna throw their weight behind a maybe.

Oh they knew what the deal was, they went all out to sign him. Em was dying to work with him. Reminds me of one of my favorite 50 verses. "Fifty fear no man, warrior, swing swords like Conan"

Edited by J Dog
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, J Dog said:

Oh they knew what the deal was, they went all out to sign him. Em was dying to work with him. Reminds me of one of my favorite 50 verses. "Fifty fear no man, warrior, swing swords like Conan"

And he was bossin' the fuckin industry, Ja, Fredro Starr, Fat Joe, Fif' was just coming for everybody.  The only man i ever heard of that didnt shit it from Suge Knight.

Theres the story of them filming In Da Club vid and Suge showing up and EVERYBODY clearing out, Dre, X, the director, everybody...except Fif', The Unit boys, Big Proof and, to his credit, Eminem.  Fifs reaction to Suge was 'we study black history in February...what have you done lately?' :lol:. Both parties fronted each other off and nothing came of it but I'm talking about the balls on the kid.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Len Cnut said:

And he was bossin' the fuckin industry, Ja, Fredro Starr, Fat Joe, Fif' was just coming for everybody.  The only man i ever heard of that didnt shit it from Suge Knight.

Theres the story of them filming In Da Club vid and Suge showing up and EVERYBODY clearing out, Dre, X, the director, everybody...except Fif', The Unit boys, Big Proof and, to his credit, Eminem.  Fifs reaction to Suge was 'we study black history in February...what have you done lately?' :lol:. Both parties fronted each other off and nothing came of it but I'm talking about the balls on the kid.

:D and Dre is still scared of Suge! He wasn't afraid of beef that's for sure. Didn't back down from Jay-Z either. And he murdered Murder Inc.