Could this be the beginning of everything..?

Bumblefoot said that when he told GNR he was quitting in March 2014 they already told him that they were planning a reunion with slash in 2016. So we know that this has been in the works since early 2014, at least. Idk about any time earlier then that tho. Marc Canter said duff filling in for Stinson in early 2014 had a lot to do with slash and Axl eventually reconnecting. So i think it's safe to say that like very early 2014 was when reunion talks started getting serious.

No chance this was in consideration in 2010. If it was, Axl would showed at the Rock n roll hall of fame ceremony.  I

think it probably took a couple of years of duff communicating to Axl and slash and being the middle man beyond 2012 for Axl to see things weren't so bad. 

2 hours ago, arrio said:

Axl said that could play with duff and slash about 2012.if he said that were for something

I think he just knew it was the most realistic scenario for a reunion. Steven wasn't even close to sober at the time, and was still spouting off at the mouth. A lot there has since changed. He clearly also knew izzy being the shrewd negotiator would be the one buzz kill in the whole scenario. It really wasn't hard to predict but I would have figured izzy and sorum would have been in before Steven and slash 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, rocknroll41 said:

Bumblefoot said that when he told GNR he was quitting in March 2014 they already told him that they were planning a reunion with slash in 2016. So we know that this has been in the works since early 2014, at least. Idk about any time earlier then that tho. Marc Canter said duff filling in for Stinson in early 2014 had a lot to do with slash and Axl eventually reconnecting. So i think it's safe to say that like very early 2014 was when reunion talks started getting serious.

I think that Bumblefoot interview got blown way out of proportion. First off, he never said he was told it was happening in 2016 - he simply said (And I'm still paraphrasing, but it's much closer to what he said) that he knew it was going to happen. That's a lot more open to interpretation. Personally, the way I took it was that he reached a point where he knew it was inevitable, and that's when he decided it was time to call it quits. He didn't know when it would happen, but he knew they were at a point of no return where it was bound to happen. 

But there's more reason to believe that it hadn't been in the works for that long also. There's the whole Ashba thing for starters. I seriously doubt that Axl asked him to be a part of the reunion. If he did, Axl is a lot more delusional than any of us thought - why the hell would he want to put both of his top-hatted guitarists onstage together where they could be directly compared? So let's go on the assumption that he was just talking out of his ass when he said that; it wouldn't be the first time. That means that there were no solid plans by the end of July 2015. On the other hand, let's assume that Axl did ask Ashba to be a part of it, and Ashba turned it down as he claims. Why did it take so long for him to step down? I hae a hard time believing Ashba wouldn't have known about the reunion far before July 2015 if he was still a part of the band, and even if he did, then why did it take so long for him to leave the band? And then there's Pitman - we know he was working on material with Axl as recently as September 2015 - he posted that video from Axl's house during a wild fire. If there was no intention to release music before the tour, then why/what were they working on back in September? 

Honestly, the timelines just don't align well enough for me to believe the reunion has been in the works for that long. I'm of the opinion that Axl had three members (Stinson, BBF, Ashba) leave within a relatively short timeframe, and instead of rebuilding the band from scratch yet again, he caved in and went for the reunion route. 

• Like 3

In June 2015 Frank Ferrar said in an interview:

"I don't know exactly what went down between those two but I haven't met Slash, he hasn't been around and he's not really welcome in the camp since I've been around."

So if Slash wasnt welcomed in June 2015, then the reunion talks have to be later???

IMO reunion plans were on the cards the second Axl decided to bring Duff on tour for SA. Axl spent years firing people or distancing himself from people that dared mention a reunion or force it. So why invite Duff when Axl would've known himself that all people will start talking about would've been a potential reunion ?  I think the SA tour was the start if the rebuilding process. 

Edited by Gold top 78
  • Like 1

IMO we have a pretty clear picture now of how it went down from Axl's interviews

Axl's hatred towards Slash slowly wanes after he reconnects with Duff & Slash stops saying bad things about him in the media and only says nice things

The Coachella promoter in mid 2015 asks if they would reunite for Coachella

Axl decides, fuck it, I'll do it - I don't hate Slash that much any more and the money is too good to refuse.

Puts out feelers. Speaks to Slash in mid 2015 over the phone, meets him face to face in late 2015 for dinner and they iron it out and chat about a tour. Agree on it.

Nek minit tour happens six months later.

I think it was all pretty simple, water under the bridge.

Would love to know what was said at the dinner and if they ever really ironed out some of what was said.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, RooSaa said:

In June 2015 Frank Ferrar said in an interview:

"I don't know exactly what went down between those two but I haven't met Slash, he hasn't been around and he's not really welcome in the camp since I've been around."

So if Slash wasnt welcomed in June 2015, then the reunion talks have to be later???

GNR is like Apple. The employees don't know whats going on or what the exact product is like until 1 or 2 days before launch. 

They only heard things people talking about it. But Axl dint go and tell them hey im having a reuinion with my old pals. 

Just now, Slash787 said:

GNR is like Apple. The employees don't know whats going on or what the exact product is like until 1 or 2 days before launch. 

They only heard things people talking about it. But Axl dint go and tell them hey im having a reuinion with my old pals. 

Okay, so the rest of the band, etc .. didnt knew about the plot of Axl and Slash getting back together, but at least Team Brazil have known about it. So they knew that Slash is eventually coming back and still shit-talking him, acting as if he is not welcomed etc .. at that time? Makes me wonder when the shit-talking stopped or if they maybe still talk shit behind his back ...

1 minute ago, RooSaa said:

Okay, so the rest of the band, etc .. didnt knew about the plot of Axl and Slash getting back together, but at least Team Brazil have known about it. So they knew that Slash is eventually coming back and still shit-talking him, acting as if he is not welcomed etc .. at that time? Makes me wonder when the shit-talking stopped or if they maybe still talk shit behind his back ...

TB and others in the management knew for sure. When marc did that uproxx mini doc. Fernando had called him and said god knows what to him. I forgot what exactly said but it was not nice. It was something like marc spreading false rumors about the reunion even though fernando knew that the reunion is going to happen. 

7 hours ago, Powerage5 said:

I think that Bumblefoot interview got blown way out of proportion. First off, he never said he was told it was happening in 2016 - he simply said (And I'm still paraphrasing, but it's much closer to what he said) that he knew it was going to happen. That's a lot more open to interpretation. Personally, the way I took it was that he reached a point where he knew it was inevitable, and that's when he decided it was time to call it quits. He didn't know when it would happen, but he knew they were at a point of no return where it was bound to happen. 

But there's more reason to believe that it hadn't been in the works for that long also. There's the whole Ashba thing for starters. I seriously doubt that Axl asked him to be a part of the reunion. If he did, Axl is a lot more delusional than any of us thought - why the hell would he want to put both of his top-hatted guitarists onstage together where they could be directly compared? So let's go on the assumption that he was just talking out of his ass when he said that; it wouldn't be the first time. That means that there were no solid plans by the end of July 2015. On the other hand, let's assume that Axl did ask Ashba to be a part of it, and Ashba turned it down as he claims. Why did it take so long for him to step down? I hae a hard time believing Ashba wouldn't have known about the reunion far before July 2015 if he was still a part of the band, and even if he did, then why did it take so long for him to leave the band? And then there's Pitman - we know he was working on material with Axl as recently as September 2015 - he posted that video from Axl's house during a wild fire. If there was no intention to release music before the tour, then why/what were they working on back in September? 

Honestly, the timelines just don't align well enough for me to believe the reunion has been in the works for that long. I'm of the opinion that Axl had three members (Stinson, BBF, Ashba) leave within a relatively short timeframe, and instead of rebuilding the band from scratch yet again, he caved in and went for the reunion route. 

Bumblefoot's official youtube account commented on that interview saying (if memory servers): "in March 2014 I told the band I was quitting and said I would help find a replacement, and that's when they told me about the 2016 plans."

Also, who's to say Pitman wasn't just chilling at Axl's house? Or working on that starwars teaser with him there since he claimed to have made that?

Edited by rocknroll41

4 hours ago, RooSaa said:

When did Fernando promise us that something big / good was gonna happen in 2-3 months time?  Was it early last year? I'm too lazy to dig old posts.

I remember many members here were calling his bluff when things were pretty quiet from the GN'R camp following that announcement....then this year....it bombed big time.