Chip Z'Nuff: Steven Called Me From Slash's Bus - You Could Hear In His Voice How Excited He Was

Maybe once they've made a few mil Steven will do an extended run. The thing is if you kick Frank out and Steven breaks down then you have to find another guy. Frank is solid. 

2017 is the year AFD. 5 way split, hit the road! 

• Like 2

Whichever way you look at it, the treatment of Adler, giving him a miserly one-two song guest spots in his own bloody band - and now if this is supposed to be true, the sacking - is one of the worst acts committed by this ridiculous excuse for a band. I expect as much from Axl who has consistently redefined the criteria for 'tosser status' across his entire career. I did not expect this from Hudson and McKagan and am disappointed in them both.

Not be buying any solo albums from them anytime soon I am afraid.

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

Whichever way you look at it, the treatment of Adler, giving him a miserly one-two song guest spots in his own bloody band - and now if this is supposed to be true, the sacking - is one of the worst acts committed by this ridiculous excuse for a band. I expect as much from Axl who has consistently redefined the criteria for 'tosser status' across his entire career. I did not expect this from Hudson and McKagan and am disappointed in them both.

Not be buying any solo albums from them anytime soon I am afraid.

You act like they fought for Steven to stay in Guns back when they were all junkies. This is nothing new if true. Slash and Duff are probably scared to piss Axl off so won't defend Steven's position now just like they threw him under the bus then. Honestly? disgraceful.

I don't blame Axl cause he seems to be very satisfied with Frank but Slash was Steven's best friend, and Duff is half of the rhythm section. Steven deserves better, much better than this bullshit. 5 tunes at the very least with Adler won't kill anyone.

Edited by Rovim
  • Like 3

It's probably "information" lost in translation. It doesn't make sense. If they didn't want Adler, they wouldn't have called him in the first place; they wouldn't need his back injury as an excuse.

As for the old story, Steven's firing (after putting him under contract) was a collective decision (the band's and Niven's). It wasn't a case of Axl being the one who wanted Steven out and the rest of the band just going along and not standing for him; they all wanted him out. Slash's priority was to finish the album and go on tour and he didn't want to wait for Steven any more. Maybe Slash and Duff reflected on the whole story when they got sober and saw things differently in retrospect, but it doesn't change how they acted at the time of events.

Edited by Blackstar
  • Like 1

I might be wrong, but haven't Slash and Duff always kind of kept Steven at arms length, even way after GnR went tits up?

All I can remember is him crying on some reality show about Slash not talking to him and how he just loved him. 

And no, it's not surprising behaviour from Axl. The only surprise with him is Adler is there at all. 

Its every man for himself in GnR. 

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, MillionsOfSpiders said:

I might be wrong, but haven't Slash and Duff always kind of kept Steven at arms length, even way after GnR went tits up?

All I can remember is him crying on some reality show about Slash not talking to him and how he just loved him. 

And no, it's not surprising behaviour from Axl. The only surprise with him is Adler is there at all

Yes, this is indeed the surprise, considering what Adler has said about Axl over the years (although he changed his position every month, one time it was "Axl is evil" the other it was "I don't have bad feelings about Axl, I love him"). I read some of it recently and had I read it earlier, I wouldn't have thought that Axl (having in mind how he acts) would want anything to do with Adler. Maybe even Axl realizes that Steven is like a child.

• Like 1

lol Yeah... Steven should be grateful Axl is letting him play with them at all. Axl, Slash, and Duff are so generous. Give me a break.

Slash admitted it was wrong of him to do that to his band member and best friend. He even apologized to Steven for not doing anything back in the day. Axl could have just refused to let him be a part of it but instead only gave him a taste, even though he entertained the idea of having 2 drummers for Gn'R and Izzy performed 5 tunes with new Guns at some shows.

Now Slash and Duff won't risk fuckin' it up with Axl, so they're just doing what they always did. Taking care of themselves. If this story is true or if it isn't, doesn't really change the fact Steven is being fucked here. And he loves this band so much that he'll take what he can get, but it's still doesn't make it right.

Axl, Slash, and Duff do not owe Steven anything technically. But it wasn't supposed to be this way. Slash has said mean things about Axl as well. If he can work with him, he should be able to at least give Steven a more substantial guest role. If you're gonna give him the chance to participate, why just 1 or 2 songs? no one can tell me that's all that he deserves. After all those years. He sounds great, it would mean a lot to him, and it will be nothing to Axl. 2 of the big 3 have no spine.

Edited by Rovim
  • Like 2

23 minutes ago, Blackstar said:

Yes, this is indeed the surprise, considering what Adler has said about Axl over the years (although he changed his position every month, one time it was "Axl is evil" the other it was "I don't have bad feelings about Axl, I love him"). I read some of it recently and had I read it earlier, I wouldn't have thought that Axl (having in mind how he acts) would want anything to do with Adler. Maybe even Axl realizes that Steven is like a child.

Yes, between 2008 and 2010 it seemed there would be a weekly update from Adler declaring he hates/loves Axl. In that time period he was also busted twice, I think, for drugs, so maybe Axl took his comments with a grain of salt. I certainly don't blame Adler for his conflicting feelings regarding his former band mates. People say he should've got over it and he messed everything up for himself, but you can't imagine what it must've been like to be dumped out of the biggest band in the world (at the time) by people you consider your brothers. 

Harsh. 

2 hours ago, MillionsOfSpiders said:

Yes, between 2008 and 2010 it seemed there would be a weekly update from Adler declaring he hates/loves Axl. In that time period he was also busted twice, I think, for drugs, so maybe Axl took his comments with a grain of salt. I certainly don't blame Adler for his conflicting feelings regarding his former band mates. People say he should've got over it and he messed everything up for himself, but you can't imagine what it must've been like to be dumped out of the biggest band in the world (at the time) by people you consider your brothers. 

Harsh. 

Sure, if you see it from Steven's side it was harsh. But there are two sides in this story, it's not black and white. I think that as simplifying and far from the truth is to say that everything was good and functional in the band and Adler was the only problem, so is to say that Adler was the innocent victim in that situation and that the others were insensitive bastards with the villain being (who else?) Axl.

3 hours ago, Rovim said:

Axl, Slash, and Duff do not owe Steven anything technically. But it wasn't supposed to be this way. Slash has said mean things about Axl as well. If he can work with him, he should be able to at least give Steven a more substantial guest role. If you're gonna give him the chance to participate, why just 1 or 2 songs? no one can tell me that's all that he deserves. After all those years. He sounds great, it would mean a lot to him, and it will be nothing to Axl. 2 of the big 3 have no spine.

I agree that since they called Adler, they should have given him a bigger role and let him play all AFD songs plus Civil War (that would be nice). I don't think it's all on Axl.

• Like 1

Isn't it weird how he went from two songs to just one though? 

Theres no logic for that decision. Fans at the show paid a lot of money for tickets and they want to see Adler up there. Two songs here and there is a disgrace, but then to just go to one after being given two is just plain being cruel. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, MillionsOfSpiders said:

3 hours ago, Rovim said:

He sounds great, it would mean a lot to him, and it will be nothing to Axl. 2 of the big 3 have no spine.

What they said.

I'm very interested to see what's going to happen during the next leg of the tour. Are we going to see Steven at some point?

56 minutes ago, MillionsOfSpiders said:

Isn't it weird how he went from two songs to just one though? 

Theres no logic for that decision. Fans at the show paid a lot of money for tickets and they want to see Adler up there. Two songs here and there is a disgrace, but then to just go to one after being given two is just plain being cruel. 

We've got to see if the one song thing is permanent. The whole set in most SA shows was shorter (they had skipped Out ta get me/Michelle at the shows before the ones with Adler - at one show they didn't play Coma either) and it was said that Axl was sick. Maybe it had to do with that.

On 9/15/2016 at 1:22 PM, Funky.Monkey said:

Chip Z'Nuff Interview

September 11, 2016

SMNnews spoke with Chip Z'Nuff from 80’s power pop/glam rockers ENUFF Z’NUFF on 9.11.16 to discuss upcoming shows, SiriusXM Hair Nation festival, and other rock n roll cool things.

SMNnews: Look at Guns N' Roses out playing these shows. It's good to see Duff and Slash and Axl bury the hatchet.  

Chip Z'Nuff: Steven too, Steven is out there with them too. They're doing it because they want to play. Sure they're making a great load of money on that tour, they really are. But look at Axl's vibe and attitude right now, a superstar singing with Guns N' Roses, biggest band in the world, AC/DC biggest band in the world. Two of the biggest hitters right there in rock n' roll -- he's keeping the flame going, he's keeping it alive. I commend him for that.

I used to live with Steven, we lived together for 5 years. I toured with him, I've played gigs with him. He's talked about this for years -- Chip we should just get together and go out and play like we did in the early days, let's do it for the fans. Who help provide us with a wonderful cushy life. And those songs are great, a template of how it all started. And I just want to be a part of it, I want to give back and say thank you to everybody who's been involved in supporting us through the years. That's the attitude.

Look at the tour, it's kicking ass right now, they're all having a great time. Steven called me from Slash's bus after the Cincinnati show. You could just hear it in his voice how excited he was, all the enthusiasm there was he's so happy about life, because it happened after all the years of sitting and waiting.  The wounds have healed, they are back together again, and the shows are strong. And Axl has really showed me a different side of him. I have nothing but admiration for how he's carried himself through this.

Starting at 18:50 on the YouTube video below:

Image result for chip z'nuff steven adler

Popcorn is the best! just look at that smile :D

• Like 1

I will say it a million times:  The proper thing to have done on the tour would have been to let Steven play ALL the AFD songs EVERY night.  Let that other drummer do the Illusions, etc since I assume Sorum was never going to have a shot at it.

Edited by BadApples87
  • Like 1

I think Chip's confused.  Perhaps before his injury the plan was for more *guest* spots, but if you think the original plan was for Steven to be up there playing Coma, Better, TIL etc., then I have a bridge to sell you.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, sofine11 said:

I think Chip's confused.  Perhaps before his injury the plan was for more *guest* spots, but if you think the original plan was for Steven to be up there playing Coma, Better, TIL etc., then I have a bridge to sell you.

He's totally capable of doing it but I don't think that was their idea either.

Shame on them! :max:

On 9/17/2016 at 6:56 PM, ludurigan said:

thats apparently all true, good for him

it is just a shame that apparently axl (and slash and duff) also showed the "i-cant-never-get-enough" side too -- which prevented us from having guns n roses back

And Izzy.  If Izzy didn't demand his "share of the loot", we would have seen the real Guns N Roses by now.  Steven is the ONLY original member who has proven it's not about the money.  If he feels taken advantage of or disrespected by the other band members, it hasn't stopped him from enjoying the hell out of his guest spots with the band he's been dying to play with again for decades.  And you know what, I can respect that.  You never know when the window of opportunity is going to be slammed shut forever.

• Like 1

to me, it sounds like we haven't been provided ALL the information. it is very sad to hear this is why Mr. Adler is not the everyday drummer. I prefer his drumming to all other past members of gnr. I really, really hope they find a way to make steve the full time drummer! especially if they record a new album!

On 16.01.2017. at 1:04 PM, MillionsOfSpiders said:

And no, it's not surprising behaviour from Axl. The only surprise with him is Adler is there at all. 

this!

only thing surprised me is that antitalent Frank is there instead of Sorum

I'm betting that it's not so much that Team Brazil was looking for an excuse to boot him, but more the risks of him injuring himself even further.  In addition to the health risk (Steven may have been willing to risk it to go on tour, but it doesn't mean he should), it could drive up the insurance involved with the tour, and heaven forbid he gets injured, could lead to a lawsuit.  Do we really want to see him play half a song, throw out his back, stop the show, and throw the tour into disarray?   

2 hours ago, Use Your Delusion II said:

And Izzy.  If Izzy didn't demand his "share of the loot", we would have seen the real Guns N Roses by now.  Steven is the ONLY original member who has proven it's not about the money.  If he feels taken advantage of or disrespected by the other band members, it hasn't stopped him from enjoying the hell out of his guest spots with the band he's been dying to play with again for decades.  And you know what, I can respect that.  You never know when the window of opportunity is going to be slammed shut forever.

i am not sure if you noticed that izzy is not making one cent on this tour

• Like 1

6 hours ago, BadApples87 said:

I will say it a million times:  The proper thing to have done on the tour would have been to let Steven play ALL the AFD songs EVERY night.  Let that other drummer do the Illusions, etc since I assume Sorum was never going to have a shot at it.

thats actually not the proper thing

it is a "less worse" alternative

we all know what would be the proper thing to do

specially because everyone is still alive and able to play and tour